The Football Thread

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

The Football Thread

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:27 am UTC

So the World Cup thread was a success, but now that's died down for obvious reasons and Hippo keeps complaining that I'm constantly blathering about sportsball in IRC. Given that the Premier League starts in six hours, I'm making this thread to talk about that and other football competitions as they come up. And umm, I would try to kick things off (heh) with a more content-y post, but since I'm trying to get up at 7:30 tomorrow I think I'm going to stop here and leave things to the rest of the world.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Re: The Football Thread

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:28 am UTC

It seems no one is thinking Blackpool will avoid relegation.

Mario Balotelli to Man City. This team I think, will be a trainwreck and Mancini will leave mid season (or be sacked). Balotelli is just problems. Too bad Madrid didn't make a move for Silva, hate to see a great player on a less than stellar team to say the least (no offense to Man City fans). But hey, they finished 5th, maybe they'll shut me up this season.

Rumor has it that Bob Bradley is going to Aston Villa. What an, um, underwhelming replacement to Martin O' Neill, at least to me. He did a good job with the US national side, but I don't think he's ready for the premierleague.

Madrid played a friendly against Bayern yesterday and won on penalties. Casillas was outstanding, but the team left much to be desired. It's just a friendly so I'm not worried.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:18 pm UTC

I was hoping to follow the A-league this year, but there's no way I'm going to have time. Hopefully next year.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

webby

Postby webby » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:I was hoping to follow the A-league this year, but there's no way I'm going to have time. Hopefully next year.

I'm a Central Coast supporter (despite living in Sydney, I actually do live just as close as the crow flies to Gosford :P) but I haven't gone to a game since the final against Newcastle a couple of years ago - so not sure if i really count as a real supporter. :P

In the EPL, i support Spurs and it was great to see them make the Champions League! I guess they still have to get through the qualifying round, but it would be a big upset if they didn't.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

Great game today between Tottenham and Man City. The Spurs had more chances but the City goalkeeper was top notch. I think this season will be quite interesting, though I think Chelsea will repeat the title.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 am UTC

I'm a volunteer at Newcastle Jets home games, so I have to follow the A-League :P This also means I'm a recent football convert, and slowly getting more and more in the loop with these sorts of things. As a West Ham supporter, I am suitably worried. Especially about Carlton Cole...
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

webby

Postby webby » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

Certainly not the greatest performance I've ever seen, but 3-2 away loss after being 3-0 down isn't that bad - should be able to recover at home. Now I wish I could go back to sleep - why do Champions League games have to start at 4:30am here? :P

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

I knew it would never last when Spurs were 3-0 down :(

Decent start for us, a draw at Anfield isn't bad considering our rotten record there. Still need a new keeper and better defending though. Same as it ever was really. I'm confident we can get 3rd place at least again with any luck.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

Mesut Ozil just signed with Real Madrid. He seemed like a great player in the World Cup, I want to see what they'll do this season.

webby

Postby webby » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:55 am UTC

Spurs in the Champions League for the first time ever! Hat-trick to Peter Crouch. :D

This is going to ruin my sleeping pattern. :P

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:52 am UTC

I was so disappointed watching them thrash Young Boys.

I have been pleased by the sheer amount of goals scored thus far, in the Premier League. Great shame half were from Chelsea.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

It should be noted that within a couple of weeks I'm going to start using this thread to talk about how the Packers are crushing everyone and are going to win the NFC North.

For now, however... I wasn't exactly surprised Tottenham destroyed Young Boys - the only reason they lost the first leg was because of a truely abysmal first half performance. The second half they were convincingly stronger, and the fact they were down by a goal after that match meant they came out really fired up.

Will be interesting to see if anyone unexpected can break into the top 4-5 of the league this year. I think it's less likely than last year, though, and it wasn't very likely then :|

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:It should be noted that within a couple of weeks I'm going to start using this thread to talk about how the Packers are crushing everyone and are going to win the NFC North

The handegg thread is here. Wayne Gretzky's my favourite quarterliner. He shoops hoops and field runs in the worldwide series like nobody's business. Go Ocelots!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Adacore wrote:It should be noted that within a couple of weeks I'm going to start using this thread to talk about how the Packers are crushing everyone and are going to win the NFC North

The handegg thread is here. Wayne Gretzky's my favourite quarterliner. He shoops hoops and field runs in the worldwide series like nobody's business. Go Ocelots!

Ah - it's in N&A. That explains why I didn't find it! :D

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

A decent European Cup draw for us - though we'll probably lose in the Ukraine, we usually do. Hopefully Spurs will be ruthlessly crushed!

Beating Blackburn this weekend would give me more confidence about the season ahead, a defeat and I suspect we'll be treading water again this year :(

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:12 am UTC

Difficult group for Madrid, but it's better this way. At least now from the get go we'll see if the team can rise to the challenge. Plus if you want to be the champion, you gotta beat whatever team comes your way, whether it's Milan or Amateur United.

I'll also be checking group A because it's another interesting group.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:06 am UTC

Ooh, that was nice. My home team (CL debut) held against Inter Milan. Werder Bremen and the Hotspurs also ended in a draw, so now the entire poule is at the same point total.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:23 am UTC

I am beings at the Emirates stadia tonight to see the Arsenals play the Bragas.

I have a good camera now, too! A lot of my photographs of footballia tended to be of the blurred variety, due to the distance from the pitch and my optimistic use of the 16x zoom function on a cameraphone.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:40 am UTC

Madrid played better than I hope. Loads and loads of missed opportunities, which I hope they rectify, but at least they seemed like they did want to score as opposed to just hold the ball and stick to the 1-0 lead. They kept going and going. Wonderful reflexes by Casillas as well. Ronaldo was lost during the entire match and the only reason he wasn't substituted is that he's Cristiano Ronaldo.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 pm UTC

Last night was a shockingly dull display by England. Even though I didn't watch the match, I saw the 'highlights', and felt sorry for all those who watched the match. I mean, really. Montenegro? Since when did they split from Serbia anyhow?

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

A few years ago, their first qualifying campaign was for the 2010 World Cup. And actually they're not too bad, they've played four games so far in England's group, have 10 points and no goals conceded. Granted, England's group is pretty weak but Montenegro are no Andorra. England will still qualify and then go out in the group stage/quarter-finals anyway. Capello will depart, replaced with some mediocre manager and the cycle will begin anew.

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

I'm sad the USSF decided to bring Bob Bradley back. I don't really see the USMNT improving on their World Cup performance in 2014 under him.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

webby

Postby webby » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

*bumped because Spurs beat Inter* =D

Would be great to see them make the last 16! And premier league-wise, they're not quite up there with the top 4 in England of Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Arsenal, but definitely getting there...

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

They're definitely better than Man City I reckon.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

Up the Villa, Shit on the City, etc etc.

I've just heard that Carew, Agbonglahor and Heskey are all injured at the moment, leaving us one young'n up front in Nathan Delfouneso. I hope he'll do ok, he's a nice player with a good future, but we could really do with some points about now.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

Anyone else noticed that the leagues are reching parity of late? Betwen the top four and the bottom 2 in the EPL, there's all of two wins separating the pack. It's kinda really interesting to note, wonder what it means for football?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Return to “General”