Science Fiction: Body Parts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Josephine

Re: Science Fiction: Body Parts

Postby Josephine » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

Mike_Bson wrote:You know how your decent vision only covers about 2 degrees of your vision? I'd make that cover all my vision.

Okay, now I want this.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Mike_Bson

Postby Mike_Bson » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:
Mike_Bson wrote:You know how your decent vision only covers about 2 degrees of your vision? I'd make that cover all my vision.

Okay, now I want this.

Yeah. You'd hardly have to move your head, because anything in your vision would look like you're directly looking at it.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:52 am UTC

I wouldn't mind having a swiss army arm, or just swiss army fingers. You need a corkscrew? Go go gadget pinky corkscrew! Need a knife? **flick** Index finger is now a 3 inch blade. Woah! There is a piece of paper and it needs to be cut! Use your pointer finger and middle finger pretend they are scissors and oh my gosh! They are! and really you could fit so much in there!
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 am UTC

Decker wrote:We're already developing technologies that help people with artificial limbs "feel" things like temperature changes, I don't think it's going to be too long before we start replacing parts just because they're better than what we were born with.

Nah, in the near future there will be replacement limbs that are superior to normal limbs in strength or durability, but they are always going to be higher maintenance for a long time. The organic ability to repair damage and prevent wear and tear is amazing.

In this far future, I still think the Olympics and most sports will have rules against mods on athletes except perhaps ubiquitous non-athletic mods such as a computer link. Of course there will always be the XFL with all it's crazy tentacled cheetah freak players but they'll still have rules restricting certain "game-breaking" things, just like F1 has restrictions on car engine types.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:24 am UTC

Wings, anyone? Who wouldn't want to fly? And also some hollow bones and feathers too. RETRACTABLE feathers (since retractability seems to be a common theme in this thread)
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:30 am UTC

lu6cifer wrote:hollow bones

This can only end well.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:40 am UTC

Well, presumably you'd have your bone marrow moved to another location. I don't think there'd be much market for the "Anaemic Angel" package.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:16 am UTC

Mike_Bson wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:

Okay, now I want this.

Yeah. You'd hardly have to move your head, because anything in your vision would look like you're directly looking at it.

While we're at it, put the retina's blood supply behind it like what an octopus does. Get rid of that bloody annoying blind spot.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:54 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:The other thing that worries me about getting too many insane mods is that the more practical they are, the more likely they'll be really ugly. I know that in a world populated by modified humans this thing will be completely normal, but I still think i'd be a bit weirded out by someone with tentacles coming out of their chest.

Only the first or second generation modders would likely be weirded out by this. Once extreme mods (wings, tentacles, tails) became normal, nobody would bat an eye.

Whelan wrote:
Mike_Bson wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:

Okay, now I want this.

While we're at it, put the retina's blood supply behind it like what an octopus does. Get rid of that bloody annoying blind spot.

I think I'd like to have hand-held eyes like Krumm's in Ahhhh! Real Monsters. But I don't want to have to devote my actual hands to holding them. More like flexible 360-degree-turning-capable tentacles that protrude from my head with eyes attached.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

minno

Postby minno » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:45 am UTC

Stronger skeleton with more durable joints, more powerful muscles, and tougher skin (not an exoskeleton, that would impair movement).
Replacing lactic acid anaerobic metabolism with ethanol (if it's a small enough amount), or even something completely novel.
Higher-resolution eyes, maybe with extended frequency range.

That's all I can think of for now.
If you fight fire with fire, you'll get twice as burned.

Return to “General”