Men's Fashion

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Samik

Re: Men's Fashion

Postby Samik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Hum. The split sole idea is an interesting one. That way you could have a little more substance to it, to where it wouldn't be readily spindleable, but could still be folded up fairly small.

gorcee wrote:Alternatively, you could get something like a moccasin slipper from LL Bean and remove the wool liner.

Probably near the top of the list of most reasonable options.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

I think you're looking for a huarache, they have a sole with just enough strap to keep it securely on your foot. You can buy them commercially made, or else they are pretty easy to DIY. Grab a scrap of leather and some shoelace, or a worn out bike tire, or anything you like as a sole.

Samik

Postby Samik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:DIY.

Also a very possible direction this may end up going.

I'd read about Huaraches, but had dismissed them at first, as I have always hated flip flops, and wasn't sure how well they'd stay on. But people do apparently use them for running. So perhaps.

In related news, I now want a pair of these.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:24 am UTC

I think split sole jazz shoes might fit your requirements of having thin soles (as dancers need to feel the floor), still reasonably durable, foldable, and look like shoes.

Maybe something like
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/ ... =322829133

or

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/ ... =322829133
This second one actually says "this shoe is compact enough to fit in your pocket." in the description.

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:04 am UTC

I know this isn't quite what you are looking for, but sometimes, during the warmer months, I will wander around campus with a pair of flip-flops attached to the belt-loop of my pants/shorts with a (small, non-climbing) carabiner. It allows me to meander around barefoot, without really getting in the way. It works well enough for me.

Samik

Postby Samik » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:49 pm UTC

Rath - really, that might be the most reasonable option. It wouldn't look any sillier than half of the other ideas proposed (by myself as much as anyone) so far.

Thanks for the idea. In the meantime, I'm going to keep the idea of a DIY option like Huaraches kicking around in the back of my head, but if I haven't come up with anything by the time spring rolls around, maybe I'll see if I can force myself to learn to stand flip flops.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

Do you not like the thing between your toes?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

If you want sandals and don't like flip-flops then try Keens.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Samik

Postby Samik » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

Shro wrote:Do you not like the thing between your toes?

I've always hated the thing between my toes. Plus how unreliable they are. What if disaster strikes and I have to take off running all of the sudden? The moment of hesitation to kick them off could be the difference between reaching cover and not.

But. Since I last wore flip flops, I've bought and grown to love a pair of five fingers. So I'll probably be able to get past the toe thing now.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

My rule is never wear shoes you can't run in. Seriously, fuck flip-flops.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Samik

Postby Samik » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:43 am UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:My rule is never wear shoes you can't run in.

Yes. This has always been my policy as well.

You just never know. Maybe you'll go 80 years without ever needing to all out sprint away from a catastrophe at zero notice (or, you know, chase down a bus or after someone who picked your pocket, if we're not being paranoid). But if just once, at any point in your hopefully very long life, you do need to, it won't be much of a consolation to say "but, what were the odds?!"*

This is the same reason I originally started wearing a belt. You never know when you'll need a length of something ropey on short notice.

*(I'm going to semi-officially dub this the Die Hard Principle. I don't, offhand, remember how he lost his shoes, but that running on glass scene always churned my stomach.)

rath358
Best Dressed 2017

Postby rath358 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:26 am UTC

I can run in flip flops.
Not as well as in shoes or barefoot, but I can do it.

Hofstadter'sLaw

Postby Hofstadter'sLaw » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:37 am UTC

Samik wrote:
ShootTheChicken wrote:This is the same reason I originally started wearing a belt. You never know when you'll need a length of something ropey on short notice.

Wow. Good point. I'm going to start wearing a belt even with pants I don't need to.

I also only wear footwear I can run in. And the only sandals I can run in are the ones that are half sneaker. Like this:

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:10 am UTC

Samik wrote:Rath - really, that might be the most reasonable option. It wouldn't look any sillier than half of the other ideas proposed (by myself as much as anyone) so far.

Thanks for the idea. In the meantime, I'm going to keep the idea of a DIY option like Huaraches kicking around in the back of my head, but if I haven't come up with anything by the time spring rolls around, maybe I'll see if I can force myself to learn to stand flip flops.

I'm with you on the toe thing, although I'm somewhat of two minds on the shoe thing. If I'm wearing shoes, they are damn well going to be nice looking shoes, but all things considered, for most terrain I'd just as well pass. Of course, if I'm going hiking I've already resigned myself to looking goofy, so I've put hundreds of miles in wearing shoes much like these
http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Scout-Moccasin-Kits-Size-10/dp/B002O94KSS/ref=pd_sbs_ac_2
You do get a decent bit of flak for wearing moccasins hiking, but that is my minimal shoe preference. Plus, the leather does a decent job of stopping the sharper and pointier things from hurting quite as much. More bulk than some of the other options, but my favorite.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:36 am UTC

I found you some shoes with zippers that fold up into themselves.
http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Radler ... B004P1A7JO
Also in a moccasin style:
http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Radler ... B005A6YV2W

Water repellent, fleece lined, decent traction. A little expensive, but Timberland is a brand with a good track record for making durable shoes.

I made this thing:

Samik

Postby Samik » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

Shro wrote:I found you some shoes with zippers that fold up into themselves.
http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Radler ... B004P1A7JO

!!!

Too bulky for the store-it-in-a-pocket-at-all-times gameplan, but those are pretty nifty nonetheless.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

The shoes your friend was wearing might have been sidekicks
Closest Man version I found: ugly, expensive. Or the sockwas mentioned earlier.
There aren't any shoes made specifically for your purpose that I've found. The two closest functions I found were camp shoes and airplane shoes and looked accordingly.
The timberlands are better. Unless you have small/medium feet that can be accommodated by women's sizes. Then you might be able to get away with just removing the bow thing from the sidekicks.

Now that you have a good idea of all of your options, feel free to discuss them here. (Even if I don't always go shopping with my friends, I invariably show people in my life the clothes/shoes/etc before deciding on keeping them or not. And thus, I am someone who also vets wardrobe choices for my friends. I enjoy shopping as a collaborative experience)

I made this thing:

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

I need to get a pair of those sidekicks to keep in my car for long drives, etc. There's probably 10 similar products, but everything I've seen has either been sold out or unreasonably expensive.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 pm UTC

To the other extreme of shoes - I've been thinking of buying some shiny brown leather brogues. I have some smart trousers that it'd be fine to wear them with - but when else could I wear them? Will they look good with jeans? A T-shirt and over-shirt? One, but not both at the same time?

Answers in the form of images appreciated :mrgreen:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:To the other extreme of shoes - I've been thinking of buying some shiny brown leather brogues. I have some smart trousers that it'd be fine to wear them with - but when else could I wear them? Will they look good with jeans? A T-shirt and over-shirt? One, but not both at the same time?

Answers in the form of images appreciated :mrgreen:

Brown is a great neutral. You can wear it with blue or gray or blue and gray or other browns and even black.
Also, it depends on the shoe. Super shiny and super broguey? Or sublty broguey and super shiny? Square or round or box toe? But yes, brown will go with lots of things.

brown shoes.jpeg

I made this thing:

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 am UTC

Samik wrote:"The Sockwa was designed as a beach shoe and the intended purpose was for sandy beaches, so for this purpose, the material is perfect

I don't get this. The last place one would need shoes is on the beach.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

Unless it's one of those hotter-than-lava, sun-baked, beaches that are like a quarter-mile from start of beach to water.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Good point

Boris Veganofsky

Postby Boris Veganofsky » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:26 am UTC

Egosearch+

This thread will be of much interest to me this summer when I will have some disposable income.

My wardrobe at the moment is mostly comprised of funny t-shirts and cheap worn out button-up shirts. I'm (hopefully) entering the professional world next year so I will need more presentable clothes. For my summer job (tech support) business casual should be sufficient.

What do you guys think of this trenchcoat?

I've always wanted a nice trenchcoat but could never find a cheap one. I like the style of this one but my worry with ordering online is that the fit will be bad. Being an army coat I imagine it's on the loose side. Can a coat like that be altered by a tailor to fit better? How expensive would that be?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

Boris Veganofsky wrote:I've always wanted a nice trenchcoat but could never find a cheap one. I like the style of this one but my worry with ordering online is that the fit will be bad. Being an army coat I imagine it's on the loose side. Can a coat like that be altered by a tailor to fit better? How expensive would that be?
In general, I prefer my trenches with a belt, that way they always have a decent fit. I imagine a trench is hard to alter.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

If you want anything to fit you perfectly and flatter your body, you must have it either make for you or altered. Some things (leather jackets, for example) are extremely difficult to alter. Yes, hemming pants or altering a T-shirt (yes, even T-shirts are altered to make movie stars look wonderful, and, yes, it works) is easier and cheaper than altering a trench coat, but, depending on the details of the cut, a slightly oversized trenchcoat is probably relatively easy to alter. Oops. I just followed your link. I was thinking of a thin cotton trenchcoat: a double breasted wool trenchcoat would probably be a lot of work to alter. Not quite on the level of a leather jacket, but something that not every dry cleaner with a "tailor on duty" sign in the window can manage, and something that would probably cost a pretty penny.

Boris Veganofsky

Postby Boris Veganofsky » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

I see, thanks. Anyway, the coat looks black on the pictures but actually if you read the page it's dark green. I have suddenly lost interest.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

I made a hat!

Spoiler:

Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 pm UTC

someone likes animal print. a lot. I wonder who?

this may be the right place to post it, maybe not, has anyone ever had a problem with jeans where they have a really irregular fit? I got some a couple of weeks ago, and they are really tight around around the back-side, to the point that I can't use the pockets for anything but cards, but baggy around the waist, they actually bunch up when I use a belt, which I have to because they are that baggy. maybe I just have a funny shape for a guy because I cycle a lot, but that would suck. they are 34w 34l regular fit, they were cheap but not cheapest, and in fact I have had bargain bucket jeans that have fit better than these.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

I have the same problem with ever pair of jeans I have ever had except for Levi's 501s. Maybe see if you can get a second hand pair to see if they're any good for you?

EDIT: There are also some Wranglers that are cut similarly to 501s, but I can't remember what they're called and they're the same price anyhows.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:49 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:I have the same problem with ever pair of jeans I have ever had except for Levi's 501s.

Word.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

I have an upcoming event where I have to look very nice (Ok, it's my wedding), and I've decided I need to stress out over stupid small things instead of big things.

I have a midnight blue suit This one in fact and I was wondering if the forum thought I could pull off a shoe like this? I could do a simple black oxford, but I want something a little less conservative.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:I have an upcoming event where I have to look very nice (Ok, it's my wedding), and I've decided I need to stress out over stupid small things instead of big things.

I have a midnight blue suit This one in fact and I was wondering if the forum thought I could pull off a shoe like this? I could do a simple black oxford, but I want something a little less conservative.

Err....It's your wedding, but IMO I would avoid boots.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16 am UTC

I think they'd work out just fine. Hell, I've worn this + these a few times, and honestly it looks just fine, like plain brown dress shoes unless you pull the pant up a bit, and they "hey, those are boots!"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:21 am UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:I have a midnight blue suit This one in fact
Boo, the CK site does not like bookmarking. And is done up in Flash. With videos of muscular guys in strange underwear.

You see? This is what men's fashion leads to! Or not.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 am UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:
OBrien wrote:I have the same problem with ever pair of jeans I have ever had except for Levi's 501s.

Word.

Thanks for verifying that I am in fact not the only one, shame 501s cost 5-6 times as much as I'd normally spend on jeans.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

If there are any vintage shops in Sussex try hitting them up: I can usually find a decent second hand pair in Brum for £15.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

OBrien wrote:If there are any vintage shops in Sussex try hitting them up: I can usually find a decent second hand pair in Brum for £15.

you can't move in Brighton for bloody vintage shops, and they charge an arm and a leg for anything in them.

I was actually lucky enough to find two pairs of as-new jeans, both 34W-Long for £3 a pop in a Salvation Army shop yesterday, (in Worthing, my humble home, you can't move for charity shops :D)

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:59 am UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:I have an upcoming event where I have to look very nice (Ok, it's my wedding), and I've decided I need to stress out over stupid small things instead of big things.

I think that those would look great! In fact, I think they'd look better than regular dress shoes, because when guys cross their legs or something and expose dress sock, I always think that looks a tad silly.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:11 am UTC

No sillier than when they cross their legs and expose ankle or higher bootage!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “General”