Black Hat or Script Kiddie?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Levi

Black Hat or Script Kiddie?

Postby Levi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:10 am UTC

I hope this is the right forum. Sometimes I'm unsure of which forum to put things in and then I get all uptight trying to decide which one it should go in.

I was reading the "My computer fails at computer security" thread in School, and someone said this:
You're not a grey hat or a black hat; at the most you're a script kiddie.

My question is: What's the difference between black hat and script kiddie? Is it the knowledge of program structure and the ability to write one's own? Or is expertise of broadness of scope? Scale of exploits?

EDIT: Thought about some more and now I'm pretty sure I put it in the wrong place. :(
I agree... not 100% sure where the best place would be, though, so I'll bump it to General. - phlip

Killamus

Re: Black Hat or Script Kiddie?

Postby Killamus » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:29 am UTC

A script kiddy is someone who knows a little bit about how computers work (Enough to impress his friends who think of a computer as a "Magic Box" still) - They've also most likely found some copy-paste file that someone else wrote that can be used for harmful purposes. Often, these are, as the name implies, kids.

Black hat is someone who actively hacks, cracks, or otherwise for (Usually) financial or prestige gain. Compare to the white hat, someone who attempts to protect against them.

Keep in mind, there's the "Accidents", as I like to call them. People who make generally harmless viruses, just to test their skill, and never mean for them to get out. Often times, it's a script kiddy who will make an "accident".

_Axle_

Postby _Axle_ » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Script Kiddie also refers to the maturity ( or lack of ) of the person doing the actions
Yakk wrote:Computer Science is to Programming as Materials Physics is to Structural Engineering.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:08 am UTC

Script kiddies just download scripts and run them, acting like they are gods of hacking knowledge. For example, they may run port scanners to find backdoors and exploits, and then run scripts that use those backdoors and exploits to get zombie machines to perform DDOS attacks.

Black Hats are the ones that work to find the exploits, and infiltrate systems that require more than just running a script to hack into.
Last edited by Thesh on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Axidos

Postby Axidos » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:17 am UTC

_Axle_ wrote:Script Kiddie also refers to the maturity ( or lack of ) of the person doing the actions

I would disagree there. Script kiddie is a comment on someone's technical understanding or, more specifically, their lack of it. It might carry connotations of immaturity (that's almost unavoidable for a phrase like that) but that doesn't mean you can call an expert hacker who's immature a script kiddie.

@phlip: that's true. Perhaps to be more to the point: "script kiddie" is about competency first and maturity second.
Last edited by Axidos on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:38 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 am UTC

Axidos wrote:that doesn't mean you can call an expert hacker who's immature a script kiddie.

The implication goes the other way, though... if someone claims to be 1337 haxxor but all they're capable of is downloading and running scripts that do all the work for them, then you could call them immature.

Basically, "script kiddie" is to hacksmanship as "poseur" is to most less-jargon-heavy fields.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:25 am UTC

So what if you're just a beginner hacker? Script kiddie seems too derogatory and beginner seems like it's not jargony enough.
Last edited by llamanaru on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Killamus

Postby Killamus » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:09 am UTC

llamanaru wrote:So what if you're just a beginner hacker? Script kiddie seems to derogatory and beginner seems like it's not jargony enough.

Newbie.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:07 pm UTC

Killamus wrote:Newbie.

Should probably also define the difference between newb and noob.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20060823

script kiddies tend to fall into the latter.

it's primarily about technical ability, someone who writes their own tools, understands the systems in detail and is extremely competent can be an immature dickhead without being a script kiddie.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:05 am UTC

wikipedia has a nick comparison of "script kiddie" and "newbie" (or was it noob?) I just can't find it right now.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:14 am UTC

It's about what you do with these scripts:
A script kiddie just downloads them and runs them without knowing anything about how they work, and pretends to be hot shit. They might also "write" scripts by just copying and pasting from other scripts.
A newbie studies them and figures out how and why they work.
A hacker writes them; not copying and pasting but actually creating.

(True, you might copy some code here and there just to save time not reinventing the wheel. But then one has to ask why you're copying it instead of making it modular and just referencing it. :P)
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

markop2003

Postby markop2003 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am UTC

A script kiddie uses other people's scripts because they don't know how to make their own. They know that if they click button A that they get terminal access but they don't know how or why that happens and couldn't do it without that program. Black hats know about the underlying reasons why things work and so can create their own scripts (though ofcourse they'ld rather use someone slese if it's available). Kinda like the difference between comp-sci and IT, comp-sci/black hat is about how the underlying system works and how tocreate your own systems IT/script-kiddie is just about using programs.

ProFist

Postby ProFist » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:41 am UTC

I used to be a bit of a script kiddie, but I decided I'd rather do some programming on my own.

Return to “General”