Longest possible Google Maps route?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
OmnipotentEntity
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 am UTC
Location: Duct taping the internet
Contact:

Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

I came up with this one it runs 29,361 km, 59 days 21 hours

Bear Cove Point Rd to Pineapple Rocks Trk

As far as longest time, I haven't tried as hard at it, but this route is 59 days 23 hours, (but only 29,252 km)

Nain, Canada to Pineapple Rocks

I'm really close to breaking 60 days, and reasonably close to 30,000 km. Anyone want to help me pessimize this route?
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,
Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Midnight » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

I assume we're going default with it, because you can just drag points around on the map, so you could go LA to Seattle by way of New York... which adds a lot of time.
uhhhh fuck.

Cnvvj
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 am UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Cnvvj » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

Does it have to be within US?
Because wouldn't the longest path be from the eastern part of Russia to the south of south Africa?

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5312
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby BlackSails » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:I assume we're going default with it, because you can just drag points around on the map, so you could go LA to Seattle by way of New York... which adds a lot of time.


You can add intermediate points, so you could go LA to NY to Seattle to Miami to Sacramento

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Josephine » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Midnight wrote:I assume we're going default with it, because you can just drag points around on the map, so you could go LA to Seattle by way of New York... which adds a lot of time.


You can add intermediate points, so you could go LA to NY to Seattle to Miami to Sacramento

In which case you could go through every point google maps has indexed for the longest possible route.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
OmnipotentEntity
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 am UTC
Location: Duct taping the internet
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:42 am UTC

It was intended for the challenge to be between only two waypoints. Otherwise you can go much farther by going back and forth between those two points, than between Miami and Washington. :P I kinda thought that much was obvious to the most casual observer.
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,

Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5086
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Xeio » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:46 am UTC

Reverse travelling salesman problem! Find the longest possible route given all of the points indexed by google maps.

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Levi » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:50 am UTC

That would be fairly easy, wouldn't it? It would at least be easier than the regular traveling salesman problem, right?

User avatar
OmnipotentEntity
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 am UTC
Location: Duct taping the internet
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:51 am UTC

Levi wrote:That would be fairly easy, wouldn't it? It would at least be easier than the regular traveling salesman problem, right?


Same complexity class. Plus you can use the same waypoint twice. So multiple waypoints are not a terribly interesting problem.
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,

Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Josephine » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:28 am UTC

The routes in the OP use google's jokes. Kayak across the pacific? No. Google doesn't consider the Suez or Panama canals passable. Russia and Iran aren't indexed. You're limited to a single continent.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
OmnipotentEntity
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 am UTC
Location: Duct taping the internet
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:49 am UTC

Well, google maps seems to be split into particular domains that don't interact (here they are sorted by longest route I've found in each):

1. America, Canada, (not mexico,) Japan, China and Australia. (link in OP) 29,361 km
2. Africa (not including Egypt) 15,984 km (primary route) 16,282 km (secondary route)
3. Europe, Iran, .+stan, India 14,801 km
4. South America (only parts) 9,105 km
5. Mexico 5,827km
6. Egypt (just Egypt) 1,985 km

There are some other minor ones, like Russia (only in the vicinity of Moscow), New Zealand and such.
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,

Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

User avatar
Nath
Posts: 3145
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Nath » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:02 am UTC

OmnipotentEntity wrote:I came up with this one it runs 29,361 km, 59 days 21 hours

Bear Cove Point Rd to Pineapple Rocks Trk

As far as longest time, I haven't tried as hard at it, but this route is 59 days 23 hours, (but only 29,252 km)

Nain, Canada to Pineapple Rocks

I'm really close to breaking 60 days, and reasonably close to 30,000 km. Anyone want to help me pessimize this route?

Ha. I just noticed that these routes pass within a couple of blocks of my apartment.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7543
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby phlip » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:50 am UTC

Nath wrote:Ha. I just noticed that these routes pass within a couple of blocks of my apartment.

You should set up some kind of rest stop for all the people driving around the world... you'd be raking in the money. A trip that long, you'd want a break, halfway through...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

archeleus
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 pm UTC
Location: Valenvaryon
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby archeleus » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

May not be the longest but, go to Google maps and take directions from Japan to China. Check step number 43.

Here's a link for the lazy.
I write a blog rant here.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

If you remove "avoid highways" and "avoid tolls", you end up with 29,518 km from the longest route you posted, but your time goes down to 58d 12h.

User avatar
OmnipotentEntity
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 am UTC
Location: Duct taping the internet
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

Oh nice! Thanks. On previous route I had tested checking those boxes made the route longer, guess it goes to show you can never make assumptions.
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,

Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

User avatar
TheKrikkitWars
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:08 pm UTC
Location: Bangor, Gwynedd, Gogledd Cymru
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

It can't deal with the far east of russia, hence no massive trans-eurasian / trans-eurasian-african trips are possible. I tried Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Cape Town, then when that failed to Lisbon.

Edit: It just can't deal with russia...
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

User avatar
OmnipotentEntity
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 am UTC
Location: Duct taping the internet
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:57 am UTC

It will deal with Russia, but only in the vicinity of Moscow, the longest route I was able to make was only 465km, (but I didn't try that hard to be honest.)
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,

Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:47 am UTC

archeleus wrote:May not be the longest but, go to Google maps and take directions from Japan to China. Check step number 43.

Here's a link for the lazy.

XD
a.k.a. Cazador

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 am UTC

archeleus wrote:May not be the longest but, go to Google maps and take directions from Japan to China. Check step number 43.
Without clicking the link, I'm pretty damn sure you're referring to the swim, canoe, or jet ski instruction that turns up in international "driving directions".

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
RebeccaRGB
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:36 am UTC
Location: Lesbians Love Bluetooth
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby RebeccaRGB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:03 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
archeleus wrote:May not be the longest but, go to Google maps and take directions from Japan to China. Check step number 43.
Without clicking the link, I'm pretty damn sure you're referring to the swim, canoe, or jet ski instruction that turns up in international "driving directions".

Also kayak! But yeah, this one was jet ski. :)
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

martinkrzywinski
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby martinkrzywinski » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:09 am UTC

I think I have found the longest route by far, and one that is actually drivable (no kayaking across the Pacific), though a ferry is involved from Algiers to Marseille.

29,831 km
http://g.co/maps/rrzb2
Pearly Beach, South Africa to Magadan, Russia

I've set up a site for the Google Maps Challenge, which has these challenges
http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/googlemapschallenge

- longest land route, no ferries (so far, 15,394 km from Gibraltar to Magadan)
- longest land route, with ferries (29,831 km route above)
- longest one leg route (1,475 km from Haines Junction to Charlie Lake along Alaska Highway)
- longest route with <=10 legs (haven't tried this one)...

-martin

User avatar
ElWanderer
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby ElWanderer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am UTC

martinkrzywinski wrote:- longest land route, no ferries (so far, 15,394 km from Gibraltar to Magadan)

I was able to extend this to 15,441km by setting a destination of Yanksiy, Russia. It's west along the coast from Magadan. There are places further west, but the road seems to break at an inlet and Google wouldn't find any directions.

Looking east from Magadan, I was able to get a lot futher - hitting 15,996km with Paren', Russia (which is just inside Kamchatka). If you zoom right in, there are some roads/tracks marked that you can try to follow. They have a habit of disappearing and I think I will stop squinting at my screen now before I get a headache.

I tried the same trick of extending the route at the other end, but Gibraltar seems to be the best starting point for a long journey. If you start further west, you get directed onto a different route through Spain, which saves miles rather than adding them on.

martinkrzywinski wrote:longest land route, with ferries: 29,831 km Pearly Beach, South Africa to Magadan, Russia

Extend your route to end at Paren', Russia and it increases to 30,433km, which gets over the OP's 30 megametre target.

EDIT: Looking at routes through Africa, I found Pearly Beach, South Africa to Casablanca, Morocco gives 18,176km, without ferries. But Google throws in ferry routes via France and Spain if you push the destination further north in Morocco. The point where it starts doing that is where the destination is somewhere between Casablanca and Rabat.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

User avatar
firechicago
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm UTC
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby firechicago » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

ElWanderer wrote:
martinkrzywinski wrote:EDIT: Looking at routes through Africa, I found Pearly Beach, South Africa to Casablanca, Morocco gives 18,176km, without ferries. But Google throws in ferry routes via France and Spain if you push the destination further north in Morocco. The point where it starts doing that is where the destination is somewhere between Casablanca and Rabat.


There's something weird going on with driving directions in Africa. For example, google maps seems to think that it's impossible to drive north from Sudan into Egypt, despite the map clearly showing several roads that do just that. Instead google maps seems to want to send you to Algiers to take a ferry to Marseilles and come around from Southern Europe.

User avatar
ElWanderer
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby ElWanderer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:36 am UTC

firechicago wrote:There's something weird going on with driving directions in Africa. For example, google maps seems to think that it's impossible to drive north from Sudan into Egypt, despite the map clearly showing several roads that do just that. Instead google maps seems to want to send you to Algiers to take a ferry to Marseilles and come around from Southern Europe.


Yeah, when this thread started in 2010, there were various bits of the world either disconnected or unmapped. Those seem to be fewer in number now, but Egypt is still one of the weird, disconnected places. I got similar behaviour in parts of South America: I couldn't see any reason why it couldn't find routes into Colombia or Venezuela. There does seem to be a lack of roads between Panama and Colombia, though I don't know if that's actually the case. I do remember the chap (Mark Beaumont) who cycled from Alaska to Argentina ended up taking a ferry between Panama and Equador.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Carnildo
Posts: 2023
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:43 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Carnildo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:27 am UTC

ElWanderer wrote:There does seem to be a lack of roads between Panama and Colombia, though I don't know if that's actually the case. I do remember the chap (Mark Beaumont) who cycled from Alaska to Argentina ended up taking a ferry between Panama and Equador.

Darien Gap.

martinkrzywinski
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby martinkrzywinski » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

ElWanderer wrote:
martinkrzywinski wrote:- longest land route, no ferries (so far, 15,394 km from Gibraltar to Magadan)

I was able to extend this to 15,441km by setting a destination of Yanksiy, Russia. It's west along the coast from Magadan. There are places further west, but the road seems to break at an inlet and Google wouldn't find any directions.

Looking east from Magadan, I was able to get a lot futher - hitting 15,996km with Paren', Russia (which is just inside Kamchatka).

martinkrzywinski wrote:longest land route, with ferries: 29,831 km Pearly Beach, South Africa to Magadan, Russia

Extend your route to end at Paren', Russia and it increases to 30,433km, which gets over the OP's 30 megametre target.

EDIT: Looking at routes through Africa, I found Pearly Beach, South Africa to Casablanca, Morocco gives 18,176km, without ferries. But Google throws in ferry routes via France and Spain if you push the destination further north in Morocco. The point where it starts doing that is where the destination is somewhere between Casablanca and Rabat.


Brilliant! I'm updating the site now (http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/googlemapschallenge).

Someone - please build a road from Paren' to Uelen, so we can break 31,000 km.

The routing in Africa is truly bizarre. The Algiers to Casablanca (http://g.co/maps/4baf7) route suggests Africa to be littered with "Here there be dragons" signs.

EDIT: extending route to Sidi Bettache in Morocco from Pearly Beach adds another 84 km to 18,260 km http://g.co/maps/mn4xu

User avatar
ElWanderer
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby ElWanderer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

martinkrzywinski wrote:The routing in Africa is truly bizarre. The Algiers to Casablanca (http://g.co/maps/4baf7) route suggests Africa to be littered with "Here there be dragons" signs.


It is interesting, zooming in on the satellite view to check if the roads that are marked actually exist. There seems to be a major route that leads from Algeria to the border with Morocco (Google labels it the A1), but then you notice there are several gaps. Switching to the satellite view, bits of the road exist, but none of the bridges or junctions - perhaps the dragons scared off the construction teams. There's also no sign of a continuation of the road in Morocco - it just runs up to the border and stops.

martinkrzywinski wrote:Someone - please build a road from Paren' to Uelen, so we can break 31,000 km.


"Dear Mr Putin..."
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Isofox
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby Isofox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:23 pm UTC

I've managed to reach 30,600 km: http://g.co/maps/jjw9n. I can't help but feel that I've done something wrong though, as the reverse direction is 236 km shorter.

martinkrzywinski
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby martinkrzywinski » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:45 am UTC

Isofox wrote:I've managed to reach 30,600 km: http://g.co/maps/jjw9n. I can't help but feel that I've done something wrong though, as the reverse direction is 236 km shorter.


This is a great pick. A new record - 30,619 km

Kampung Tanjung Che Lahom Pengerang Johor Malaysia
Pearly Beach, S Africa
http://g.co/maps/yc6rw

There reverse route is longer (30,716 km), so the shorter one makes it into the record books.

Thanks!

nerd-7hi+42e
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby nerd-7hi+42e » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 am UTC

Chimchememel', Russia, to Danger Point, South Africa: 31,125 km (31,459 if you're avoiding tolls and highways).

As far as longest time goes, Cockle Creek Rd, Australia, to El Real, Panama, is 59 days, 18 hours with avoid tolls and highways. So close to 60 days...

martinkrzywinski
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby martinkrzywinski » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

Nice! Going from Chimchamamel to Pearly Beach gives you an additional 15 km - 31,140 km.

I've posted your route on the page - http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/googlemapschallenge/

The next record has to be the 60+ hour route. Panama-Tasmania is 58d 18h

http://g.co/maps/ur7gd

We need 6 more hours!

nerd-7hi+42e
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby nerd-7hi+42e » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:54 pm UTC

If you allow for street addresses, the longest ten-leg route would probably be:
1600 North Northlake Way, Seattle, WA —> Japan, Ibaraki-ken, Tsuchiura-shi, Kawaguchi, 2丁目13−6
With avoid highways switched on.

As for breaking the 60-day mark, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. Tasmania is about as far on the one end as you can go, so the remaining 6 hours will have to come from the Americas. The only way for that to happen is if the Darien Gap is closed, some roads are built in Alaska (there are a bunch of pockets of isolated roads in northern and western Alaska, but they're not sufficiently connected), or if a road is built through Nunavut. Currently there's only one road which connects Nunavut with the rest of Canada, but it doesn't lead to any settlements and it's only 57 days (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highways_in_Nunavut). Here's a complete map of Alaskan highways (http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/511/AK_hwys_numbers.pdf); Prudhoe Bay is the farthest you can get, and it doesn't cut it (it's 58 days, 5 hours, plus a small 2-hour road going west). There may be some ice roads connecting the various communities, though, but none are on Google Maps.

So, yeah... Anyone feel like starting a ferry service across the Darien Gap?

dvguinea
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby dvguinea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:12 am UTC

Hey everyone I was really curious about the longest route and upon further investigation I have found a longer route for the Land Route + Ferries. This one goes from Duyker Eiland, St Helena Bay, South Africa to Chimchememel, Russia.
This route with Avoid Highways checked brings the longest distance up to 31,348km and travel time is only 21 days & 13 hours. Hope this can help someone else find a longer trip

http://g.co/maps/63vsr

dvguinea
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby dvguinea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 am UTC

martinkrzywinski wrote:Nice! Going from Chimchamamel to Pearly Beach gives you an additional 15 km - 31,140 km.

I've posted your route on the page - http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/googlemapschallenge/

The next record has to be the 60+ hour route. Panama-Tasmania is 58d 18h

http://g.co/maps/ur7gd

We need 6 more hours!


I found a longer route if you go from Duyker Eiland, St Helana Bay, South Africa to Chimemel, Russia. 31,348km gives you an extra 208km but only if you have Avoid Highways checked

http://g.co/maps/63vsr

dvguinea
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 am UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby dvguinea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 am UTC

Sorry about the double post but I also found a longer Route for Land with no ferries.

http://g.co/maps/rtwp9

Duyker Eiland again but to Mahaleth. You get a total of 18,385km.

martinkrzywinski
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby martinkrzywinski » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

dvguinea wrote:Sorry about the double post but I also found a longer Route for Land with no ferries.

http://g.co/maps/rtwp9

Duyker Eiland again but to Mahaleth. You get a total of 18,385km.


It looks like gmaps change the routing.

The original 18,260km route from Pearly Beach to Sidi Bettache is now 15,576 km. The new route cuts across Niger and Algeria.

Your Duyker-Mahaleth route is under that, at 15,354 km.

However, Duyker to Sidi Bettache is 15,594 km (http://goo.gl/maps/4d6I) which beats the new record.

User avatar
OmnipotentEntity
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 am UTC
Location: Duct taping the internet
Contact:

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:01 am UTC

Here's a minor improvement:

http://goo.gl/maps/fVM1

Same route, avoid highways is checked.

31,851 km, 522 hours
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,

Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

iamsobored
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby iamsobored » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

I managed to get to 33,490 km (or 32,788, depending on how many dragons there are blocking the road), without avoiding highways or tolls, by starting at Groot Paternoster Private Nature Reserve, West Coast Peninsula, South Africa (a 1-km improvement on Duyker Eiland) ending at an unknown road in Papua Province, Indonesia. To try it, set the reserve as Point A and -2.07926, 139.19787 as Point B.

PaulLambeth
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

Re: Longest possible Google Maps route?

Postby PaulLambeth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Based on a related question - whether or not there is a cap on number of 'via' points possible, and distance - I seem to have pushed the map to the end of its tether. I have 7 main locations and 18 'via' points (made by dragging an existing route, like Cape Town to Lesotho, to go via Mongolia). At just over 148,000km, I couldn't add more 'via' points or drag an existing location any further (the latter resulting in a server error and me losing all the 'via' points). So, perhaps, the longest journey Google Maps allows is about 150,000km - a nice round figure - or they only allow some combination of main and via locations like my example. I suppose I'll have to play around to find out.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests