What road trips would interest you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

What road trips would interest you?

Postby Thesh » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

I would like to try this one some day.

It would have to be the right time of year and I would have to head up to Denali state park to see Mount Mckinley. I would probably take a faster route on my way back, which would save me many hours.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

EvilDuckie

Re: What road trips would interest you?

Postby EvilDuckie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Part of yours actually: the Alaska Highway.

Or US-50, coast to coast. Forget Route 66, everybody does that one.

In Europe I'd probably go for a long roue in Scandinavia. Saw some photos from a summer trip through Lapland and up to the North Cape, epic!
Quack!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

Just as a foreword: I ride a motorcycle. I want to do a cross-country ride. I want to take one of the Vietnam motorcycle tours. Maybe Africa, as well. I had a Canada trip planned but it fell through. There's a lot I want to do.

She

Postby She » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:07 am UTC

I'd say my preferred roadtrips would depend on the company, but I haven't really been on any roadtrips so I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it at all.
She speaks in the third person
So she can forget that she's me

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:31 am UTC

My experience with roadtrips is that the best ones are the ones with only a half-formed plan - head this direction, stop in one of these places for the night, visit this attraction if we end up close to it. With that in mind, I'd like to take maybe two weeks each to head south-west and east-south-east from here. Make most of the rest up on the go.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:My experience with roadtrips is that the best ones are the ones with only a half-formed plan - head this direction, stop in one of these places for the night, visit this attraction if we end up close to it. With that in mind, I'd like to take maybe two weeks each to head south-west and east-south-east from here. Make most of the rest up on the go.

That would be my itinerary for a roadtrip. The only plan you make before is deciding which road to take. Whether you stay in your own state/region of country, or end up way over on the other side of the country, it wouldn't matter. Just pick up a road map, tack it to a wall, grab a dart, blindfold yourself, throw it, and where it lands is the road you'll take. Don't try to plot out a course, saying "we'll stop at a hotel in City A and see Attraction B..." From my own personal experience, they never fan out exactly as hoped.

Best laid plans of mice, y'know.
PRG

An important message for you:

Mittagessen

Postby Mittagessen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

They recently finished the last part of the highway between Moscow and Wladiwostok, so you can (theoretically) drive the whole way (Atlantic - Pacific) in a standard vehicle. Alternatively there's the European Route 40 Calais - Ridder. From there you can drive (if the border crossings are open) through China to the Pacific Ocean. I believe the southern route would be more interesting and I heard it's possible to take the trip in a non-4WD vehicle.

EDIT: I just read that Baktu Port is one of the border crossings open for nationals of third countries (there are usually quite a few border crossings in that part of the world but many are closed for third-country-nationals) so the southern route is open if you can get all the visas.
Last edited by Mittagessen on Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

I took a 3 week (though 6 days were spent near Sacramento, CA at a relatives house) roadtrip with 2 friends over the summer, from Ohio through northern states up to Washington, down the coast to Sacramento, then took the southern states for a bit to the Grand Canyon before cutting up to Colorado then to I-80 for a quicker drive home. We didn't go as far as planning where exactly we were going to stop, but figured out about how far we would go each day and made sure there was something nearby at least. We also made sure we hit certain places that each of us wanted to, but besides that we didn't have a totally solid plan, and didn't even exactly follow what we initially planned out. It was awesome.

What I'd like to do someday is a huge trip around Europe, though trains would be more efficient than a car I would think. But just having the freedom to go where ever is a wonderful thing.

mstjarna

Postby mstjarna » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

I'm waiting for the day there is a bridge between the chukotka and seward peninsulae.

Mittagessen

Postby Mittagessen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

mstjarna wrote:I'm waiting for the day there is a bridge between the chukotka and seward peninsulae.

For this there would have to be a road to Chukotka in the first place. I've been trying to figure out how to get a car across the Pacific / Atlantic Ocean so I could actually drive once around the world. The "easiest" way would be to put it in a standard freight container but then you run into quite a few other problems (driving around in a car with german number plates in the US, customs,...). And the whole trip would take (conservative estimate) around half a year.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Just as a foreword: I ride a motorcycle. I want to do a cross-country ride. I want to take one of the Vietnam motorcycle tours. Maybe Africa, as well. I had a Canada trip planned but it fell through. There's a lot I want to do.

How easy is it to get a riders license? I've been wanting to do this for ages.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Just as a foreword: I ride a motorcycle. I want to do a cross-country ride. I want to take one of the Vietnam motorcycle tours. Maybe Africa, as well. I had a Canada trip planned but it fell through. There's a lot I want to do.

How easy is it to get a riders license? I've been wanting to do this for ages.

In the US? Depends on state and ranges from "hilariously easy" to "not terribly hard." The Motorcycle Safety Foundation certifies classes that, in every state as far as I'm aware, leads pretty directly to getting a license. Some may require an additional written test, others simply require the MSF certificate. At least one state (Florida) requires this class and it's the only way to get the license, while most others have a skills test that is taken at the DMV or wherever with similar stuff, but MSF is more lenient on grading usually. At least one state (Alabama) requires nothing more than a driver's license and taking an additional multiple choice test. Other countries can be a long, expensive process, but I'm only minimally aware of them.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:54 pm UTC

Hmm, maybe I should have asked then, "How easy is it to learn how to ride a motorcycle?"
I guess I thought the legal red tape was difficult.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mstjarna

Postby mstjarna » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

Mittagessen wrote:
mstjarna wrote:I'm waiting for the day there is a bridge between the chukotka and seward peninsulae.

For this there would have to be a road to Chukotka in the first place. I've been trying to figure out how to get a car across the Pacific / Atlantic Ocean so I could actually drive once around the world. The "easiest" way would be to put it in a standard freight container but then you run into quite a few other problems (driving around in a car with german number plates in the US, customs,...). And the whole trip would take (conservative estimate) around half a year.

I think that in the event that a bridge is built, both sides will have roads leading to it. Or, in an improvement on Alaskan traditions, it could be the bridge from, as well as to nowhere.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

I think driving through the rockies, whichever road goes through Denver, is the most beautiful stretch of highway in America. Although that said, I'd love to do Arizona and Nevada on a motorcycle. God I miss the desert.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Hmm, maybe I should have asked then, "How easy is it to learn how to ride a motorcycle?"
I guess I thought the legal red tape was difficult.

It's not terribly hard, but a lot of things are counter-intuitive. If you can ride a bicycle, you're already on your way, though. If you're really interested, I would strongly recommend taking an MSF class in your area. They typically provide all the equipment necessary, and will a) give you an idea of whether you want to continue riding and b) if you do, get you basic instruction and c) get you licensed (and oftentimes an insurance discount).

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:02 am UTC

Thesh wrote:I would like to try this one some day.

It would have to be the right time of year and I would have to head up to Denali state park to see Mount Mckinley. I would probably take a faster route on my way back, which would save me many hours.

I've done most of that, or at least similar roads. Two trips, one was Edmonton-Whitehorse (Meets up with your route at Prince George) and the other was Calgary-LA (we took the northern route out of Kamloops).

Both are interesting trips, but there are a few considerations:

One: There are three major cities on that route (Victoria isn't that large, but still nice, Portland is large and nice, but I'm ignoring it for and Seattle for reasons of hating Seattle). Any of these cities is a trip in and of it's own right, don't skimp them. Although I assume you live in southern California given the route start, so LA is probably not a trip for you. I don't know how often you'e gone to San Francisco, but it's a fun city to visit, so unless you've made that trip often plan to spend some time there.

Considering where you're from, Vancouver is going to be worth a long stay. An interesting city, and culturally distinct from California, or indeed the states. As far as culture goes this is your major destination on the trip simply because it will be the largest concentration of people who aren't Californian. Try the Sushi. No Seriously, TRY THE SUSHI. There are Sushi places in Vancouver that have made select lists of world sushi, being the only city outside of SE Asia to do so. UBC might also be worth a visit if you know anyone from there. If you don't, try asking around on the board, a guide to show you around the city is a good thing. There are also a variety of things leftover from the Olympics worth a look. Assuming you go in summer I would recommend against Blackcomb because it is not really for inexperienced skiier (it's a glacier that has year round Skiing), if you're up in winter however Whistler is quite nice. The sea to Sky Highway (number 99, from Vancouver to Whistler) is quite nice, and might be worth doing one of the many hikes in that area (same goes for much of the Oregon coast as well).

The next thing is the second half of the trip. North of Vancouver BC is empty. Really, really empty.To give you an idea, there are ~4.5 million in BC. ~3.8 live on Vancouver island or around Vancouver. Which leave several hundred thousand square kilometres (or something like 250 thousand sq. mi.) to the remaining 700 000 people. It will only get more empty as you hit the Yukon, whose entire population is ~35 000, of which 20 000 live in Whitehorse. It is large, well worth the trip, and the main road (the one you are planning on following, and indeed the only major road) is kept in good repair. Caution is warrented, but fear isn't. Bring along a roadside kit and some sleeping bags, you'll almost certainly not need them but walking to get help isn't an option if the car breaks down. That being said, someone will be along soon enough, and truckers are often quite willing to help, as are the locals (once they've stopped making fun of your accent and general American jokes). For that portion of the trip you'll want something to occupy you, since amenities may be short, and pretty as it is, you will get bored of Boreal forest. I've never been much beyond Whitehorse, so I don't know much about Alaska.

Random thoughts:

Vancouver Island is quite nice, and in my opinion you'd be better to spend time there than on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. In fact, Washington in general was the part of the Calgary-LA trip that underwhelmed me the most. Skipping up the I-5 along the Aberdeen-Olympia route to save time and taking a day-trip to Nanaimo instead might be better (buy a Nanaimo square). (Second Note: I don't actually know how much time this will save when you consider the ferry routes).

Grab a photo of yourself at the head of the Trans-Canada in Victoria, it's not that the location is the most spectacular by any means, but you can claim to have stood at the beginning of one of the longest highways in the world (arguably the longest, depending on how exactly you define it. But probably Trumped by the Trans-Siberian and Australia Highway 1).

Tillamook Cheese is a fun stop in Oregon

Stanley park in Vancouver is quite nice.

You're going to get some jokes about being American, this is in good fun and should not be taken seriously, unless it's some yob in which case it should be ignored.

They don't actually produce Maple Syrup out there that I'm aware of, but you're going to order some anyways. On Pancakes it is of course a requirement, but if you happen to see West Coast or Kokanee Salmon in a Maple Glaze, order it. It is very very good.

Grab some Crab while you're in Alaska. Also, Juneau is supposedly worth a visit, but only accessible by ferry from other cities in Alaska, and would add substantially to trip time and cost.

On that note, Sea Kayaking is always good fun, and there are several places in Victoria and Vancouver that would love to do a day trip, although if there's a place in Anchorage (and there probably is) the water may be cleaner and less busy there than in the harbours.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. There are of course many more things to suggest, but I can't think of more off the top of my head.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:05 am UTC

My Grandparents live in Port Angeles and I have been there many times so I don't want to stay in Washington. I did spend an afternoon in Victoria when I was a teenager back when a passport wasn't required to travel to Canada. I rethought the ferries in my route, and decided to connect to the 5 in Washington and take that up to Canada and follow the 99 to Vancouver (mainly so I wouldn't have to worry about the ferry schedules). I figure that's a good place to spend a day before heading north (and then another day when I get back).

And yeah, I definitely want to make sure my truck is serviced and my spare is in good shape, etc. before I head out.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

Being from Canada, there are tons of trips that I would love to do.

I definitely want to see James bay. The remoteness of it fascinates me. I was looking around for a huge thread on another forum where some guy posted his pictures. He made it there from somewhere in the Northeast US. At one point he climbs up on a hill and all he can see around is blueberry bushes - EVERYWHERE. And it was hilarious that he didn't know French :P

I also want to drive across Quebec to Labrador.

Basically I don't want to go anywhere warm. I love remoteness. My ideal vacation spots are Norway, Iceland, Alaska, Siberia (Trans-Siberian Railroad).

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

the_stabbage wrote:Being from Canada, there are tons of trips that I would love to do.

I definitely want to see James bay. The remoteness of it fascinates me. I was looking around for a huge thread on another forum where some guy posted his pictures. He made it there from somewhere in the Northeast US. At one point he climbs up on a hill and all he can see around is blueberry bushes - EVERYWHERE. And it was hilarious that he didn't know French :P

Basically I don't want to go anywhere warm. I love remoteness. My ideal vacation spots are Norway, Iceland, Alaska, Siberia (Trans-Siberian Railroad).

On the extreme end of things, there's a couple long distance trails around lake Baikal, which is about as remote and cold as you get. Very pretty though.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

Oh man, that is pretty cool! I already wanted to see Lake Baikal because it's so damn deep and contains like, 1/5 of the world's fresh water.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

This September my girlfriend and I did a road trip from Capbreton, France to Venice, Italy, a distance of around 2000 miles there and back (I think we did something like 3,400km according to the car's readout). We stopped at the Gorges du Verdon to go rafting, we drank Grappain the medieval backstreets of Genoa, saw a Verdi opera in Venice, sat outside the Café terrace in Arles, sunbathed at Lake Garda and got pissed in Carcasonne.

In short, I'd recommend that trip to anyone! Though watch out for the sudden change in driving style as you cross the border from France to Italy, it took us by surprise a little. And I wasn't so keen on the built-up areas of the Cote d'Azur, Cannes and the surrounding area, so personally if I was to do the trip again I'd skip those parts. But the rest of it? I'd do it again in heartbeat, but take more mosquito repellent this time :D
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

Oh, der;
New Zealand is INCREDIBLY easy to roadtrip across. Gas isn't terribly cheap, but the country is chock full of hostels that are very nice, very affordable, and conveniently located everywhere. EVERYWHERE. This last summer my girlfriend and I drove all over the place, basically doing a giant figure 8, and I highly recommend the trip to anyone with some time. It's a really gorgeous place.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

I've lived in Oregon my whole life, and while I claim to love it (and believe that I do), I've really only seen small bits of it. So I would love to go on a road trip everywhere around my own state. Someday when I have a real job where I make more money and have vacation time, this will happen.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

I lived in Iceland for 3 months and got to really get to know 2 "cities"- Akureyri (pop 15000) and Isafjordur (pop 2500), but would love to do more exploring and road trip around the Ring Road. I'm just waiting until I have the money to rent a car (not cheap), someone to go with, and a nicer camera.

Also, would love to road trip across the American Southwest. I did it as a kid and would love to go back to Mesa Verde, Santa Fe, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, etc etc.

osiris32

Postby osiris32 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

I get to go on one here in a couple weeks. Portland, OR to Sacramento to LA to Phoenix to Houston to Memphis to DC to NYC to Boston. I then fly back. I'm helping my soon-to-be-ex roommate move to Boston for college, and he figured he'd want a second driver. We're turning it into a 14-day trip, stopping in places where we know people along the way, seeing live music at night, camping most of the time, and generally enjoying ourselves.

From the Depths of Hell, to the Gates of Glory, EVERYONE goes home.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

London - Gorno-Altaysk...

I once read about a bloke called Mike Jones, a colourful Doctor, MBE recipent (and preceeding that notorious medical student) who was the driving force of two great expeditions, which all the participants hail mainly for having been concieved in good pubs and planned over a great length of time mainly in the nearest bar that was to hand.
Anyway whilst information on the first expedition in africa to descend the whitewater of the Blue Nile (a modern repeat of which recently claimed the life of Hendrik Coteze) is scant... His second trip was genius, he and his wiley team of graduates-come-kayaking misfits loaded up a transit van with themselves and equipment, attached a trailer full of kayaks and paddles and set off for dover, after which their next stop was (hopefully) Pokhara in Nepal to then make their way across nepal and up the slopes of Everest to decend the Dudh Kosi, the highest river in the world... Oh and did I mention that was in 1976.

That's what inspires me to go on an epic roadtrip across europe and asia, however being vaugely capable of speaking russian, enjoying vodka, and knowing less about the kayaking (and general eeking out a living) oppotunities in the Altai Mountains I've decided that's more of an adventure... I just need to convince someone that they too want to drive 6000 miles across two continents to reach a place described as ебля безжалостные [rough translation: Fucking Brutal] by one local (and emigre)... Hmmm, On the plus side It would only take around 4 months... that's not a very long holiday at all.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Personally, I'd always thought a bit more about taking a tour of the World; make a list of interesting countries and visit them one after the other. One place I'd love to visit on this trip would be Nepal. I had an Uncle who went on a hiking trip through the country, and watching the slides from the trip I found myself captivated by the beauty of the nature in the country as well as all of the stories he told us about the experience. Visiting the country myself is something I'd like to do before I die.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:11 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:I definitely want to see James bay. The remoteness of it fascinates me. I was looking around for a huge thread on another forum where some guy posted his pictures. He made it there from somewhere in the Northeast US. At one point he climbs up on a hill and all he can see around is blueberry bushes - EVERYWHERE. And it was hilarious that he didn't know French :P

Was it this guy: Mike's roadtrip to James Bay? One of my mapping friends :) That trip certainly piqued my interest as well.
Quack!

osiris32

Postby osiris32 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC

the_stabbage wrote:Being from Canada, there are tons of trips that I would love to do.

How about going to my refuge? Yes, during the summer, it get's very warm. I work there as a wildland firefighter during the summer. In the winter, though, it gets very cold, down into the negative numbers. It's as remote as you can get in the continental 48 states, just getting there is a 9 hour drive from the Portland.
Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Walk over a hill, and you can't see any sign of human habitation. I love working out there.

From the Depths of Hell, to the Gates of Glory, EVERYONE goes home.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

How to cross the Ganges Plain the slow way...
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:29 am UTC

I love traveling...I think the best road trip though would be one to places with people I know. I like being with people. I know there are people and caves in MO that I want to see. Tack on a visit to my grandparents and some caving in southern Indiana and that'd be a decently long trip.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Return to “General”