How'd you come up with your username(s)?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Re: How'd you come up with your username(s)?

Postby michaelandjimi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:05 am UTC

I was a breech birth. I came legs first, yay!
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

negatron

Postby negatron » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:41 am UTC

It came to me when I was trying to rationalize the naming convention of positron anti-matter. I reject thy electrons!
I shouldn't say anything bad about calculus, but I will - Gilbert Strang

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

I've been using this screenname so long it's hard to say anymore. But I think at the time I was probably thinking about a t-shirt I owned that said "I'm not stupid, I just don't care." And it just came to me.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

Breech wrote:It's just what people call me. Apparenty, Bridget is too long, so everyone calls me Breech.
I googled it, and Wikipedia says "A breech birth (also known as breech presentation) refers to the position of the baby in the uterus such that it will be delivered buttocks first as opposed to the normal head first position."
Interesting eh..

There's also Breech loading weapons. You're the part where the killy-bits go!
JayDee wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, we don't even use U when it's completely unnecessary.
Completely unnecessary? It adds flavour!

Iu disagruee thaut unneceussaury U's audd flauvour.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
JayDee wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Yeah, we don't even use U when it's completely unnecessary.
Completely unnecessary? It adds flavour!

Iu disagruee thaut unneceussaury U's audd flauvour.

OK, maybe they don't always add flavour, but they do make sentences seem more colourful somehow...
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

My username is from the Mystery Science Theater movie: "The Final Sacrifice". There was a dude named 'Zap Rowsdower". Rowsdower was too awesome of a name to not use.
Image Save the dragon! Clickie!

backslash

Postby backslash » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

The backslash key on the Japanese Windows keyboard produces the symbol for my name. A localization programmer pointed that out to me, and I loved it because I had just started playing hockey and needed a name for the back of my sweater.

When I started shooter games in the industry and everyone was so much better than me, I went with the handle "Fodder." I have also been Marco_Pogo and Logan5 whilst gaming. But I am so rusty now, I should probably go back to Fodder. I played TFC for the first time in a long while a few days ago, and it was not pretty.

My first AOL account (back when we used to use stone computers and real mice) was Yen4scifi. But I'm sure you don't remember that. If you do, we should share a geritol or something some day.

Federation, eh? Can't remember what my name was there, but I LOVED that game.
"...life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber." -- Roger Waters

imagxz

Postby imagxz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Totally random
LifeJelly.org

Everyday Methods to Seemingly Practical Things

Reid

Postby Reid » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Uh.... Well, it's my name. Crafty, eh?

Edit: For spelin.
Last edited by Reid on Thu May 01, 2008 8:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu May 01, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Bio Rules wrote:Bio Rules

I approve of this message.

Earl Grey

Postby Earl Grey » Thu May 01, 2008 1:41 am UTC

Well, I stumbled into a really good core group of friends in high school who had all known each other for some time, and as a result, had some pre-existing nicknames used amongst them. One day they decided that I needed one, but weren't coming up with much off the top of their heads. My real name is Travis, and the only nickname I really had in my life was T.J. (middle initial), used only by one aunt. That wasn't going to stick amongst us, but one of my friends started calling me 'Teej' as a play on it :? . It sounded so completely lame that they actually started using it, until another of them found something even more depreciating: T-bag. So, I've been T-bag to some of my closest friends for years now, and it wasn't a far stretch from T-Bag, to Tea Bag, to Earl Grey (my preferred brand), and the depreciating quality morphed into an endearing quality over time, as it tends to with nicks :).

This thread is fun, so easy to waste time catching up on 10+ page threads, heh. The video game origins are hilarious (the Morrowind keyboard flub, and the Diablo 2 stuff in particular). Oh, and Melissa, your avatar rocks.
"You're human, which is sort of like an ape that builds airplanes and gets depressed over stupid shit."

~Tac-Tics

slaxor

Postby slaxor » Thu May 01, 2008 5:57 am UTC

5L4X0R, cause Imma l33t 0nL1N3 5L4CK3R, lol. Just thought of it one day

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu May 01, 2008 9:03 am UTC

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe....
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu May 01, 2008 9:19 am UTC

... huh. where IS Twasbrillig these days anyhow? *goes off to search for last post*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu May 01, 2008 11:03 am UTC

Maybe he was a figment of my imagination... or me of his...
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu May 01, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

I'm always vaguely annoyed when I come up with a username that would be nice if I wasn't already Rodan. They go to waste. They should plant themselves in someone else's mind.
(I'm not going to not be Rodan)
examples include: "Redundancy John" & "Baragreen"

Maybe I'll use them for a Diablo character or something...

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Thu May 01, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

About a year ago I realized I needed a name that fit no matter where I went or what I did, my old name having been chosen when I was 9. So I needed something that was could be used as a proper name (Most people don't know of our beloved Sb) without being time-frame dependent (Anthony is close, and a elemental name is hardly the worst thing for sci-fi) and could also be made to be unique. I had a chemistry book open at the time and it just sorta happened.

Antimony only has the stable isotopes 121,123, and 125 (hl 2y 9m). At this time I was also having a conversation with someone on MSN when they said I was a few cards short of a deck.
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri May 02, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Is really, everyone's signature made up of binary code once in their lives? :(

Also: "This is not a binary apple" without a dot...? :|

This is how I make people to hate me :mrgreen:
Ptolom wrote:penis

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue May 06, 2008 8:58 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:Is really, everyone's signature made up of binary code once in their lives? :(

This is how I make people to hate me :mrgreen:
By the pot calling the kettle black?

Also, counterexample: yours truly. I just tend to put equations in my sigs.

I explained my username earlier in the thread, but if you're too lazy to look it up, here it is again. I had a psychadelic dream one night where I met a ghost that was playing Nim. He then explained that he had worked out his own system for playing the game and started talking about "my system" this and "my system" that, and how in his lifetime his system was largely rejected because it was too novel. It was rather annoying listening to him drone on and on about that system, really. The only way I could get him to stop was to agree to use the name Nimz (as a "kool" way of verbing the game he played in the 3rd person, singular). He also told me Chess > Nim, and that he would haunt my dreams forever if I didn't pick up the book, My System, which has to do with chess. The first four letters of that author's last name are...

N I M Z

Or you could look here for the less drug-induced (but maybe more vague) version. What can I say. SecondTalon's sweet motorcycle story inspired me.
LOWA

Kixo
iBoy

Postby Kixo » Thu May 08, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

Well i created my new username today... So everyone who reads this post feel special because you guys will be some of the first to know me by it :D. I went through a whole email change and online identity crisis today and decided that i needed a new name... so jmrz helped me decide on kixo, I really like it and i hope you guys do to :D
<3 Jmrz

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Thu May 08, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

Who did you previously identify as?
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

roundedge

Postby roundedge » Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

mine's from a pencil

Kixo
iBoy

Postby Kixo » Thu May 08, 2008 1:16 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:Who did you previously identify as?

I previously went by bagsy... which was just a nickname from school associated to my last name, pretty boring which is the main cause of the whole "i need a new identity and now" feeling i had when i changed it :P
<3 Jmrz

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Fri May 09, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

Well... I go hiking a lot, and in general I kinda like just wandering around... and I like to pretend I'm a cowboy, even though I'm from Chicago!
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Fri May 09, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

my name is from a 18th century female Italian painter Artemisia Gentileschi. It's not so much that I ADOOOOOORE her paintings, but the fact that she's a famous female painter in a time where painting was mainly a man profession. She's also been raped and there has been a trial that unfortunately didn't get the raper convicted. But I admire her guts to have tried!

Also: I love ancient stuff. Artemis was a Greek goddess (Diana for the Romans, somehow their deities got merged after some time) of the forest and hills (she is known for being virgin). I personally like Athene better (as the goddess of wisdom and war - that's what I call girlpower!) but Artemisia was a nice compromis, as it is just a little related to the greek gods making it a bit less obvious. I like being unique.

Oh in Greek Artemisia is spelled Άρτεμιςια
for the ones interested :P
This too shall pass

Chromana

Postby Chromana » Fri May 09, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

My name used to be Slasher. Perhaps I got it from Total Annihilation. But that was too commonly used a name so I needed to come up with something else. So when I was 13 (18 now) I went onto a name generator on the internet for coming up with business names or something and I combined two words that came up. I forget what they are now though (not just Chrome and Mana. They are longer words which I broke up).

The only time I have seen it used by someone else is on eBay. That pissed me off so much! It was some German guy with a rating of 1 and he only used it in 2000. Gharr!!

FortMax

Postby FortMax » Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

My usename is short for "Fortress Maximus".
Hasbro wrote:Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing RANSFORMERS CYBERTRON on 9.13.05

Transformers Instruction Scans from Generation 1 to Robots In Disguise
TFWiki.net: The Transformers Wiki

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Fri May 09, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

Dakun has been my MMORPG handle for oh... 10 years?

Everquest -> Dialbo 2 -> WOW

It originated from Dakkon BlackBlade - a Magic: The Gathering Card from the Legends expansion set who's backstory and art I found to be really cool.

If you're interested:

[link]http://homepage.mac.com/cheethorne/Palladium/legenddakkon.htm[/link]

Snipets:
-Although Dakkon, as a mercenary, switched sides many times during his involvement in the war, he remained highly respected by both sides
-Dakkon Blackblade appears as a ruggedly handsome Human male with long black hair and dark brown eyes. Although his body and face are covered with the scars of years of battles, Dakkon remains attractive, with a meticulously shaved face and good teeth. When not in combat or in his armor, Dakkon could easily be confused for a farmer, as he often wears the clothing of a commoner and with the exception of his scars, there is little to give away his warrior nature in how he carries himself without his weapons and armor.
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri May 09, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

People call me Sophy (from Sophia), and I like turtles (and have owed them for 7 years, and collect turtle figurines, and might get a turtle tattoo).

I never said I was creative.

(I tend to think I am like a turtle personality wise, with the hard outside and yummy soft innards)
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Sun May 11, 2008 4:49 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:(I tend to think I am like a turtle personality wise, with the hard outside and yummy soft innards)

Is turtle actually good? I've never eaten it. For that matter - is human good? (this is probably needing a thread split immediately into - strange things you've eaten). Cause while I'm sure your innards are soft, I tend to doubt they are yummy. Maybe a few of your organs (I heard liver / kidney / brain is good (Yay Hannibal!)), but humans, being greasy, fatty, polluted animals as they are, probably by default don't taste very good.
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun May 11, 2008 5:58 am UTC

Dakun wrote:
sophyturtle wrote:(I tend to think I am like a turtle personality wise, with the hard outside and yummy soft innards)

Is turtle actually good? I've never eaten it. For that matter - is human good? (this is probably needing a thread split immediately into - strange things you've eaten). Cause while I'm sure your innards are soft, I tend to doubt they are yummy. Maybe a few of your organs (I heard liver / kidney / brain is good (Yay Hannibal!)), but humans, being greasy, fatty, polluted animals as they are, probably by default don't taste very good.

Our meats are essentially pork. We may be filthy animals, but we taste good.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun May 11, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

A guy ate some dude (For science!?) and wrote about it (here).

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Hmm... I tend to name my machines after main female character in Shakespeare plays; the local admin user on the computer is then the guy who ends up with the female character at the end of the story.

Example:

hippolyta - theseus
viola - orsino
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun May 11, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

I made it up in, um... I think sixth grade. I used to be known as Fred Finklepants (don't laugh!) online and elsewhere, but changed it because it sounded stupid, obviously. I wish I had a cool story, but the truth is I just came up with it one day. Now that I think about it, I should have hyphenated it.

Other names I came up with recently: Aybabtu, Nyquil Driver, The Irony Police. The last one is awesome; I should have used it :(
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

kriel

Postby kriel » Sun May 11, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

A random name, just plucked out of nowhere, for a character in a roleplay a loooong time ago. She grew her own personality, and then I grew into a very similar person. I actually have friends that call me by it outside of the internet, so ha.

On a complete sidenote: Other of my friends find it completely offensive. Originally Kriel was a Fire Demon. She's shifted considerably since then, but they can't get the idea of 'demon == bad' out of their heads.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun May 11, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Hmm... I tend to name my machines after main female character in Shakespeare plays; the local admin user on the computer is then the guy who ends up with the female character at the end of the story.

Example:

hippolyta - theseus
viola - orsino

Juliet - Death
Lady Macbeth - Death
Ophelia - Death
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
lazarus89 wrote:Hmm... I tend to name my machines after main female character in Shakespeare plays; the local admin user on the computer is then the guy who ends up with the female character at the end of the story.

Example:

hippolyta - theseus
viola - orsino

Juliet - Death
Lady Macbeth - Death
Ophelia - Death

Now there's a naming scheme that lends itself rather well to a single sign on set-up.

Thanks for the idea, Torvaun!
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Mon May 12, 2008 11:52 am UTC

University days, alchohol and other not very legal substances may or may not have been involved, there was a most spectacular toy moose, stuffed, fuzy, think u americans call them plushies? Either which way, it erh, "inspired" me. Hence forth I was known as Moose, which is an odd thing since I live in South Africa, i think the closest Moose/Elk is in well, siberia somewhere.

Was using Moose as a Nick at various lan parties, at one in particular, was on an awful losing streak. Enough was enough I thought, time for an upgrade, BattleMoose! And the name stuck, personally I love the name, I have an image of a very confused moose clad in plate armour, with the expectation of it to go into battle and do , battlemoosey things. It pleases me greatly.

sparks

Postby sparks » Sat May 17, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

Mine stems from my love for electricity and the band called The Sparks.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

fr4ncium

Postby fr4ncium » Sun May 18, 2008 3:33 am UTC

During a NHS tutoring session in high school, a friend was explaining to a student about ionization energy and the periodic table. She said that if electrons were like girls, then I would be like francium and a hoss football player would be like florine (A fair comparison, given it was high school, I suppose). Later she was joking about that and said that I really was like francium, because I never really reacted when people poked fun at me and thought one day I was just going to blow up. I found the whole thing amusing and was looking for a new online alias, so I stuck with that (I swapped the 'a' to a '4' to ensure uniqueness - don't get any ideas!)

Return to “General”