Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby GraphiteGirl » Thu May 27, 2010 11:10 am UTC

phlip wrote:So... how do you tell it's an Evony ad? I mean, it doesn't actually say it anywhere on there...

I'm not going to lie. I was so confused by the ad that I clicked on it, and it took me to an Evony signup page. (Feel free to tell me I was foolish for clicking on such an ad; I'm aware.)
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu May 27, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

Consider it research otherwise we might not have found out what the ad was for!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu May 27, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

I don't mind Evony's lame or boobtastic adds. I do hate them for being a shady Chinese company that blatantly steals other companies IP to make a scam game. Then again the same could be said for 99% of Chinese products.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

animeHrmIne

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu May 27, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

My shirt is an IP stealing scam game? Cool!

/misinterpretation for [fail] comedy
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 27, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

It was stolen from Dr Who, duh.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu May 27, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:
phlip wrote:So... how do you tell it's an Evony ad? I mean, it doesn't actually say it anywhere on there...

I'm not going to lie. I was so confused by the ad that I clicked on it, and it took me to an Evony signup page. (Feel free to tell me I was foolish for clicking on such an ad; I'm aware.)

You're foolish for clicking on such an ad.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

vslayer

Postby vslayer » Thu May 27, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

Not sure if this has been ranted before, but gods damn it I'm irritated by it.

Here is Australia we have radio ads that warn us about ecstacy being made is public toilets, out of household cleaners and battery acid etc. and how ecstacy is therefore a harmful substance that needs to be avoided. Well I have news for you government fuckers: before you forced it underground with your prohibition it was a pharmaceutical grade drug which was statistically safer than riding a fucking horse, so if you really cared about people's health you would legalise it and allow people access to safe drugs again, you fuckers.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu May 27, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

vslayer wrote:being made is public toilets, out of household cleaners and battery acid etc.

Wait... wouldn't that be methamphetamine?
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Thu May 27, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

Uh, so nothing really douchebag-ish about this commercial, but does anyone else find it totally creepy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cVzBBY8-d0

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

What the? What does the doll have to do with ANYTHING?
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu May 27, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:You're not going to believe this.
Ladies, gents, all others, I present to you, the latest Evony ad:
Spoiler:
what the hell.jpg

And when you click on her breast, it gets bigger.

There has GOT to be some law against that.
How exactly does Evony make money? Other people's ads on their site?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu May 27, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:How exactly does Evony make money? Other people's ads on their site?

From what I understand, it's one of those games that's technically free, but has a micropayment system that you can use to get ahead. They then proceed to make the game become more unplayable over time unless you start using said micropayment system. Like, starting to require more resources than you're actually capable of getting in-game.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Sun May 30, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

The new commercial for Twix Java. A guy an his wife are at a table, he gets a text. She picks up the phone and says something to the effect of "Who's Terry, and why are they saying they need you right now?" He looks worried, stops, eats a time-stopping Twix bar, then lies and says Terry is his boss. And his wife is all happy again and he gets off scot-free.

I really, really hate the Twix commercials lately.
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sun May 30, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

All of them are about douches getting a second chance with someone they don't deserve.

Hence douchebaggery.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun May 30, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

vslayer wrote:Here is Australia we have radio ads that warn us about ecstacy being made is public toilets, out of household cleaners and battery acid etc.
We do?? I take a lot of public transport and I know that Fortitude Valley station is plastered with the bus-ad equivilent. I love the fact that the toilets the E is supposedly being made in are the most filthy disgusting toilets imaginable. Cause you can't make E in a clean toilet!

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

ftarp

Postby ftarp » Mon May 31, 2010 2:16 am UTC

But... why would you use a toilet in the first place? What I've never understood about government anti-drug propaganda is what the motivation would be for someone to put window cleaner in their ecstasy or cocaine in marijuana. If you're making fake pills, it's probably cheaper to just make plain sugar pills than to intentionally kill people. And cocaine is far more expensive than marijuana - there's no benefit for the dealer.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon May 31, 2010 4:16 am UTC

Off the top of my head, I can't recall if the campaigns state "made from" or if they're using the "chemicals found in" line they use in the anti-smoking campaign.

If I remember tomorrow, I'll see if I can get a photo of the posters while I'm at the station.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 31, 2010 5:04 am UTC

ftarp wrote:And cocaine is far more expensive than marijuana - there's no benefit for the dealer.
Sure there is. You give it a name like Calamazoo Blast and charge more - more than enough to cover the cost of the coke (or whatever) you're mixing in there. Since it's a black market, though, you're pretty much trusting the dealer when they say that Michigan Dank is only really, really good pot and nothing else and that's why it costs double.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Mon May 31, 2010 6:30 am UTC

The latest Interac commercials piss me off. "It feels good to use interac". BLEH! Like it ever feels good to have your funds reduced, except specific circumstances. And it *definitely* doesn't feel as good to use a card as money, when it does feel good.

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon May 31, 2010 6:46 am UTC

I read about 7 sites about CNC a few days ago, and now the only banner ad I'll get is for Siemens CNC controller solutions. Even on lucid dreaming forums. Like I'd buy a commercial turn-key solution :wink: .

Google should have more than enough in my search history to figure out that I love open source. For example, yesterday, I searched for open source link balancing software. and reprap. and makerbot. and lildiycnc videos on youtube. and DIY CNC lathes. Can't they get better targeted ads?

but then, knowing me, they could have proabably figured out that I would point this out on a forum. do'h

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Mon May 31, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:You might be the first person to walk this planet that agrees with a bureaucrat.

Well, the other option is agreeing with someone who doesn't understand that to fill paperwork you have to actuallt fill it r that what you fill is not read by the person attending you. :lol:

I have another one. You know that when they try to sell male higiene products they compare it to "manly" things like racing. Now there's this Gillete commercial when they want to compare a bland product with their awesomesauce razors. They put a man in front of a microphone and he shaves half of his beard with a normal razor. It sounds liek one would expect. Of course, the Gillete Razor, being better, sounds like a RACING CAR AND THUS IS BETTER.

I can't stop laughing at that one.

Oh, and there's another Gillete commercial where they don't even care and they just present the razor in the very same way as one asks a mechanist what's the problem with your car. With giant razor being lifted and everything.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Mon May 31, 2010 7:26 pm UTC

A commercial just tried to sell me a soap dispenser that dispenses automatically without a pump. One should avoid a soap pump, I was told, because it may accumulate germs. Never mind the fact that you'd only touch the pump in the course of washing your hands.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

ftarp

Postby ftarp » Mon May 31, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
ftarp wrote:And cocaine is far more expensive than marijuana - there's no benefit for the dealer.
Sure there is. You give it a name like Calamazoo Blast and charge more - more than enough to cover the cost of the coke (or whatever) you're mixing in there. Since it's a black market, though, you're pretty much trusting the dealer when they say that Michigan Dank is only really, really good pot and nothing else and that's why it costs double.

But you can call regular pot Calamazoo Blast and charge double for it. I get your point, though. And drug dealers =/= perfect logic machines. Probably by definition.

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon May 31, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

ftarp wrote: And drug dealers =/= perfect logic machines. Probably by definition.

Well I'll tell you that there's no requirement for dealing drugs in the definition of a drug dealer so you're probably right.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 31, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

ftarp wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

But you can call regular pot Calamazoo Blast and charge double for it. I get your point, though. And drug dealers =/= perfect logic machines. Probably by definition.
Well, sure, for a short period of time. But no more often than once. People will pay double for shit that fucks them up more than the regular stuff, so if it's not somehow better, either through being a superior product OR through being mixed with Drain-O, people won't buy it again. And maybe not from you again. The dealer-buyer relationship is an important one, and dealers who act in bad faith don't retain customers as long.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ftarp

Postby ftarp » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:39 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
ftarp wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Well, sure, for a short period of time. But no more often than once. People will pay double for shit that fucks them up more than the regular stuff, so if it's not somehow better, either through being a superior product OR through being mixed with Drain-O, people won't buy it again. And maybe not from you again. The dealer-buyer relationship is an important one, and dealers who act in bad faith don't retain customers as long.

Fair enough. We have a winner?

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

I had a teacher that warned us not to buy bottled water in street shops (at about 16% the price of other places) because "it has drugs", while making no mention of how the drugs were put in there, the benefit for the vendor in selling water that makes you high, and why, apparently, it's OK to buy other drinks, just not water.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:I had a teacher that warned us not to buy bottled water in street shops (at about 16% the price of other places) because "it has drugs", while making no mention of how the drugs were put in there, the benefit for the vendor in selling water that makes you high, and why, apparently, it's OK to buy other drinks, just not water.

Not so sure about drugs, but to my understanding, street vendors tend to fail miserably at health codes, so the water could very well be contaminated with crap you don't want to drink, unintentionally on the part of the vendor. Much like New York City's street vendors have some of the germiest hot dogs ever consumed by humans.

Name-brand drinks tend to be okay to buy anywhere 'cause you can't scoop up a puddle of rainwater, put it in a bottle, and trick people into believing it's Coke or Pepsi.
Last edited by Poochy on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

If it's bottled water.. I mean, I'm assuming that it's sealed, meaning the street vendor just buys it from a distributor somewhere. Health Codes don't really play in to pre-packaged food and drink, at least not at the point of sale. If there's a problem, it's in the bottling plant, not on the street.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Yeah, if it's sealed and some kinda recognizable manufacturer is on the label, it's probably safe.

But I've heard of street vendors who go "Oh, you want bottled water? *takes an empty bottle and fills it up with tap water* Here, that'll be 30 cents."
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

Oh, wow. Yeah, that'd be completely different.

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

Well, it's probably my ignorance with secretly drugging people (never lived in a city, always suburbia... sigh), but couldn't you inject drugs in through the neck of the bottle of a trusted brand, therefore no obvious hole until maybe the person already drank it?
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

You could, but what would be your motivation for routinely injecting cheap water bottles with expensive drugs, unless you were a sociopath? There's no profit in it for the water seller; there's probably loss.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

You never know. That guy selling cheap water could be secretly a sociopath in disguise. :P

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

Poochy wrote:
kernelpanic wrote:I had a teacher that warned us not to buy bottled water in street shops (at about 16% the price of other places) because "it has drugs", while making no mention of how the drugs were put in there, the benefit for the vendor in selling water that makes you high, and why, apparently, it's OK to buy other drinks, just not water.

Not so sure about drugs, but to my understanding, street vendors tend to fail miserably at health codes, so the water could very well be contaminated with crap you don't want to drink, unintentionally on the part of the vendor. Much like New York City's street vendors have some of the germiest hot dogs ever consumed by humans.

Name-brand drinks tend to be okay to buy anywhere 'cause you can't scoop up a puddle of rainwater, put it in a bottle, and trick people into believing it's Coke or Pepsi.

Bottled water, from a well known brand, sealed. No one in their right mind would buy tap water from the street.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

kernelpanic wrote:Bottled water, from a well known brand, sealed. No one in their right mind would buy tap water from the street.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy tap water, period.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
kernelpanic wrote:Bottled water, from a well known brand, sealed. No one in their right mind would buy tap water from the street.

I'll refrain from asserting my level of sanity, but my monthly water bill is around $35.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

I'll refrain from asserting my level of sanity, but my monthly water bill is around $35.

That isn't what I meant; I meant that no one in their right mind would buy tap water in a money-for-immediate-consumption exchange.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:If I remember tomorrow, I'll see if I can get a photo of the posters while I'm at the station.
They changed the poster rotation. No grim anti-drug campaigning, just shiny cars and anti-littering posters.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:57 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I meant that no one in their right mind would buy tap water in a money-for-immediate-consumption exchange.

Are you sure?

Return to “General”