Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: Logical fallacies/douchebaggery in commercials.

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Apart from the Sheila's Wheels adverts.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Apart from the Sheila's Wheels adverts.

The Sheila's wheels adverts are full of awesome, packaged in 3 women with faux Australian accents riding in a pink car, how could it not be awesome?
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

I heartily concur.

EDIT: due to my idiocy, I missed the fact that a new page had been created. I was responding to
gibberishtwist wrote:I don't remember exactly what fast food chain it was (I'm leaning towards Hardees), but when I was living in Florida I saw a bunch of commercials talking about how their competitor's beef came from...NEW ZEALAND! Their beef came from AMURRICA. If they'd said, "This is helping out by reducing carbon emissions otherwise spent transporting all this foreign meat, etc," it wouldn't have been so aneurysm-inducing, but it was just flag-humping for a burger. Come on.

Personally I can't stand any commercial aimed specifically at either gender. Commercials targeting women are just fucking insulting, and commercials targeting men are...Just fucking insulting. I mean, all commercials are insulting, but somehow when they're trying to curry favor with specifically men or women, somehow their Obnoxious Levels go through the roof.

"Hey guys! Buy this beer/motor oil/pizza because it's MANLY and you don't want to look like a PUSSY, do you?!" or "Hey girlfriends! I know you love TAMPONS and SHOPPING and CHOCOLATE and guilting your BOYFRIEND into buying you SHINY THINGS because you're a manipulative twat like every other woman on the planet!"
Last edited by Mr. Beck on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

They are driving backwards.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Ahhh, I was not prepared to see that.

Bonzer?
多么现在棕色母牛?

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

I had to go YouTube those commercials to see what you meant, and noticed they they were only driving backwards in every alternate scene, but managed to do it with no loss of momentum in either direction.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:I had to go YouTube those commercials to see what you meant, and noticed they they were only driving backwards in every alternate scene, but managed to do it with no loss of momentum in either direction.

On an unrelated note, is it a bad sign that when I looked at your avatar I thought "needs gravy"?

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Apart from the Sheila's Wheels adverts.

The Sheila's wheels adverts are full of awesome, packaged in 3 women with faux Australian accents riding in a pink car, how could it not be awesome?

They say women are good drivers but they voluntarily let a kangaroo take the wheel?
"Woof!", explained the dog

Whoa Moe

Postby Whoa Moe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

I registered because of this thread. (Yes I will post in the Intro thread)

Has anyone seen this ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TusJ8HSLaUs

It's Neil Patrick Harris walking though a hospital saying that Old Spice is the deodorant to use. And how does he know? Simple! He used to be a real pretend-doctor!

This follows the Logical fallacies part of this thread but I'll be honest. I love this commercial.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Whoa Moe wrote:I registered because of this thread. (Yes I will post in the Intro thread)

Has anyone seen this ad?

It's Neil Patrick Harris walking though a hospital saying that Old Spice is the deodorant to use. And how does he know? Simple! He used to be a real pretend-doctor!

This follows the Logical fallacies part of this thread but I'll be honest. I love this commercial.

of course you love it. It's Neil Patrick Harris! He is the definition of awesome
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

Beacons! wrote:They say women are good drivers but they voluntarily let a kangaroo take the wheel?

That wouldn't be a reflection on their driving skills. Their mistake would be in choosing to let the kangaroo drive, which admittedly shows a lack of good judgement, but any bad driving would be done by the kangaroo.

Writing this post has made me very happy.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:On an unrelated note, is it a bad sign that when I looked at [DaMullet's] avatar I thought "needs gravy"?
Nah, ketchup and heaps of pepper.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
Random832 wrote:On an unrelated note, is it a bad sign that when I looked at [DaMullet's [this]] avatar I thought "needs gravy"?
Nah, ketchup and heaps of pepper.

/angell

I can agree with you on the pepper, but... ketchup?

OTOH, in terms of "making the world weirder", going into a Denny's and ordering it (with a printout of it done up to look like a real newspaper) would be hilarious.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 am UTC

Random832 wrote:I can agree with you on the pepper, but... ketchup?

«shrugs» I like tomato sauce. Actually, I *prefer* tomato sauce, ketchup tends to be too sweet.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:48 am UTC

I'm... I'm honored, I really am. But I must say that as long as the eggs are cooked properly, you don't need any condiments, and I consider the use of them to be heresy in the court of the king. All you need is yolk, yolk, yolk is all you need.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:But I must say that as long as the eggs are cooked properly, you don't need any condiments, and I consider the use of them to be heresy in the court of the king. All you need is yolk, yolk, yolk is all you need.
Oh, completely agreed. But all that meat is going to take more than coffee to wash down :D

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:05 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:Oh, completely agreed. But all that meat is going to take more than coffee to wash down :D

/angell

I'm more worried about the implications of a scaling level of toast. If they give you three pieces with a Grand Slam, you'd probably end up with a full loaf this time around.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:Oh, completely agreed. But all that meat is going to take more than coffee to wash down :D

/angell

I'm more worried about the implications of a scaling level of toast. If they give you three pieces with a Grand Slam, you'd probably end up with a full loaf this time around.

And what, my friend, is wrong with that?

<adds another entry to my "to do" list>

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:53 am UTC

The latest Anti-Piracy advert in the UK (Not sure if it's anywhere else). [Link]
Also the older one [Link]
Among a number of other things, "Knock off Nigel" would "even rob his own gran". Obviously downloading movies is linked to robbing family members. :|

Oh, and we're also likely to steal cars, break into and steal the contents of peoples houses, and commit potentially violent crimes because we download movies. In the future downloading movies will make genocide pale in comparison (Not that Paris Hilton isn't already more important to the news).

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:03 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
DaMullet wrote:But I must say that as long as the eggs are cooked properly, you don't need any condiments, and I consider the use of them to be heresy in the court of the king. All you need is yolk, yolk, yolk is all you need.
Oh, completely agreed. But all that meat is going to take more than coffee to wash down :D

I used to go to Denny's all the time with some friends and we got to know one of the cool waiters. He would bring us stuff not on the menu all the time and also conveniently leave some things off the bill. One time as a joke my friend Fred ordered a "meat lover's skillet with a side of a cup of meat", and sure enough the guy brought us a cup of meat.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:47 am UTC

elminster wrote:The latest Anti-Piracy advert in the UK *snip*
Among a number of other things, "Knock off Nigel" would "even rob his own gran". Obviously downloading movies is linked to robbing family members. :|

Oh, and we're also likely to steal cars, break into and steal the contents of peoples houses, and commit potentially violent crimes because we download movies. In the future downloading movies will make genocide pale in comparison (Not that Paris Hilton isn't already more important to the news).

Anti-piracy ads (back on topic? huh... wut?) annoy the ever-living piss out of me. Yes, I damn well would steal a car if it was as easy to get away with as video piracy! Okay, maybe not really... but you get my point.

I got really annoyed over the ones that say "piracy funds TERRORISM!!111!!1!1!!eleventy-one!!" That's right boys and girls: the terrorists will win if you download that movie to watch while you wait for the legit copies to hit the shelves. Pish. :P

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:16 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:

Anti-piracy ads (back on topic? huh... wut?) annoy the ever-living piss out of me. Yes, I damn well would steal a car if it was as easy to get away with as video piracy! Okay, maybe not really... but you get my point.

Sam Bowring said it best
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:16 am UTC

I've gotta say, when it comes to annoying commercials, I think Comedy Central is one of, if not the, worst offenders. Carlos Mencia ad every commercial break. Stupid Futurama ad every commercial break. After midnight, Girls Gone Wild ad every commercial break. This is why I just mute the TV whenever commercials come on.

And yea, anti-piracy ads are idiotic. Almost every commercial aimed at stopping something that's fun is.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 am UTC

Ah, yes, the ever-irksome anti-piracy ads. I'm really sick of the propaganda, especially since the RIAA is about a bajillion times worse about it than anything I've ever heard of from the UK. Pirating a DVD is NOT the same as stealing a car; for one thing, a car costs approximately 1,200 times more. And piracy doesn't directly hurt Joe Average, it usually just deprives a multi-million dollar company of potential profits amounting to a two-figure sum at best, the vast majority of which would be going into an executive's already-deep pockets already. Heaven forbid the bigwigs at the RIAA and MPAA fill up their solid gold Ferraris with regular gas instead of premium.

I'm convinced the main reason for anti-piracy ads is so the RIAA can rationalize suing twelve-year-olds, single mothers, grandmothers, dead people, college students (then suggesting they drop out to pay for it), etc. for ludicrous sums by Chewbacca Defense'ing their way through the legal system.

Is it just me, or do the music and film industries of Western countries have an odd resemblance to the mafia?
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

Whoa Moe wrote:I registered because of this thread. (Yes I will post in the Intro thread)
Has anyone seen this ad?

See, this is what we call satire. It's meant as a humorous take on the commercials where someone claims to be a doctor and says that blah blah blah is supercool and they know because they're a doctor.. nevermind that they never say a doctor of what, nor do they present any sort of credentials in the form of a diploma and a photo identification to prove that they are who they say they are.

Anyway.. no, as the commercial is meant to be silly, and no douchebaggery takes place within it, it fails to qualify for this thread.

Also, check out the rules about posting links and the like.
elminster wrote:The latest Anti-Piracy advert in the UK (Not sure if it's anywhere else). [Link]

So, maybe Knock-Off means something different, but.. a knock-off film would be like, Star Warz or Snakes on a Train and the like.. either something made to cash in on the (supposed) success of another film, or something made to make you think you're actually buying the other film and receive disappointment once you realize your mistake.

So, yeah, if Nigel downloads knock off films, he's got shitty taste in entertainment anyway, so give the guy a break.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:25 pm UTC

I have a confession to make: I sorta wish I was a guy just so I could wear Old Spice. I love the way it smells, and I love their commercials. I mean...My internet face sang Duran Duran while playing a piano surrounded by sexy ladies lounging on fur rugs. Classy.

Edit: And this http://youtube.com/watch?v=Af1OxkFOK18 Come on. Come on.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

You can still wear Old Spice, but you'll just get thick manly hair whereever you do. And maybe testicles.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:So, maybe Knock-Off means something different, but.. a knock-off film would be like, Star Warz or Snakes on a Train and the like.. either something made to cash in on the (supposed) success of another film, or something made to make you think you're actually buying the other film and receive disappointment once you realize your mistake.

So, yeah, if Nigel downloads knock off films, he's got shitty taste in entertainment anyway, so give the guy a break.

I think it's Knock-Off, like knocking off a liquor store. Slang for robbery.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

Nougatrocity wrote:You can still wear Old Spice, but you'll just get thick manly hair whereever you do. And maybe testicles.

And if you're lucky a Bruce Campbell-worthy chin.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

That could be a definite problem. I'll stick to guilting my future boyfriends into wearing it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

Well, yeah.. Knock-Off Nigel makes sense for a guy who knocks off stores or whatever.

A knock-off inanimate object.. like a knock-off Gucci purse. That's when it means of dubious quality - ie forgery.

I don't know about you people, but I've rarely downloaded a movie that wasn't the real movie. Well, except for that period of time where every film you downloaded was Shrek. Anyone else remember that?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mr. Beck

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Every single thing I have downloaded has been as advertised. Yes, some were buggery, but that was always a problem on my end.
Thank you Pirate Bay for having strict content checking.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:Yes, some were buggery, but that was always a problem on my end.

cwoodin

Postby cwoodin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:31 am UTC

I was in Taco Bell today, and the signs everywhere were to the effect of "79 cents! Why pay more!?"

I don't know, maybe because I want mexican food that tastes better going down than it does coming up?
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Poochy wrote:I'm convinced the main reason for anti-piracy ads is so the RIAA can rationalize suing twelve-year-olds, single mothers, grandmothers, dead people, college students (then suggesting they drop out to pay for it), etc. for ludicrous sums by Chewbacca Defense'ing their way through the legal system.

I believe the RIAA and the MPAA have actually filed Cease and Desist papers against fax machines and printers.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:37 am UTC

I think I saw this one a while ago. Anyway, allow me to introduce the Tiddy Bear.

Provocative!
多么现在棕色母牛?

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

That's not quite logical fallacy which could be formally qualified as one of those types, but rather a big slop.
It is a new fine sesame-coated bread ad. The slogan: "Because you like the feeling of seeds in your teeth". 'Nuff said...
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Don't know if this was mentioned, because twenty pages is alot, buuuut...

I remember this one knife commercial and they showed the person trying to cut a loaf of bread with the "Brand X" knife...
...buy pushing straight down on the bread...
...without moving the knife. What kind of moron cuts bread like that?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

Well, there are 2 types of people: very smart and very strong. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

steelmole

Postby steelmole » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

hyperion wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:

Sam Bowring said it best

The IT Crowd got one in rather well too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbX1aMajow

Return to “General”