SCP Foundation

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

Has anyone read or seen this website? I'm a big fan of a lot of these, and have been talking to a buddy about potentially doing our own. I'm curious if anyone has any interest in a collaboration.

I haven't read all of them, and there's a small share of crappy entries, but by in large, I'm pretty impressed with what I'm seeing. I just read SCP-947, which is a pretty blatant rip off of House of Leaves, but nevertheless, sent chills down my spin.

If you're interested in a good read, just start scrolling through.
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Briareos
Posts: 1940
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:40 pm UTC
Location: Town of the Big House

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Briareos » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

I am a big fan of the SCP Foundation, but I haven't had enough time yet to contribute. There was a short discussion in MMM a while ago about horror. The SCP Foundation is my kind of horror: terse bureaucratic reports about terrifying things.

Anyway, I'd definitely be interested in collaboration.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

It'd be interesting I think to write one that adequately references lots of others.

One idea I had included an entity that inhabits mirror space, and can only be contained in a room of mirrors, with researchers stripped of reflective surfaces (you have to wear special contacts, after [redacted]).
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Zarq » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Damn you Izawwlgood, I have an early class tomorrow, and it's already 23h40.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby felltir » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 am UTC

Briareos wrote:I am a big fan of the SCP Foundation, but I haven't had enough time yet to contribute. There was a short discussion in MMM a while ago about horror. The SCP Foundation is my kind of horror: terse bureaucratic reports about terrifying things.

Anyway, I'd definitely be interested in collaboration.


Good luck contributing, it's really hard to get an account.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
Briareos wrote:I am a big fan of the SCP Foundation, but I haven't had enough time yet to contribute. There was a short discussion in MMM a while ago about horror. The SCP Foundation is my kind of horror: terse bureaucratic reports about terrifying things.

Anyway, I'd definitely be interested in collaboration.


Good luck contributing, it's really hard to get an account.

Really? Why's that?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby felltir » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Felltir wrote:
Briareos wrote:I am a big fan of the SCP Foundation, but I haven't had enough time yet to contribute. There was a short discussion in MMM a while ago about horror. The SCP Foundation is my kind of horror: terse bureaucratic reports about terrifying things.

Anyway, I'd definitely be interested in collaboration.


Good luck contributing, it's really hard to get an account.

Really? Why's that?


http://awesomescreenshot.com/0877m4594
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

That doesn't seem hard at all. I've read maybe 20 of them, and I can name 2 Emotional SCPs, admittedly not by callsign, (one is something that bonds to items and causes people to become transfixed on it, and the other is the growing gear/cog machine that causes paranoia and insanity to those nearby), and the rest of it is demonstrating creatively that you're able to be a contributor to the site.

I just puttered around their chat room a bit, they all seem pretty handy and helpful.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby felltir » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:That doesn't seem hard at all. I've read maybe 20 of them, and I can name 2 Emotional SCPs, admittedly not by callsign, (one is something that bonds to items and causes people to become transfixed on it, and the other is the growing gear/cog machine that causes paranoia and insanity to those nearby), and the rest of it is demonstrating creatively that you're able to be a contributor to the site.

I just puttered around their chat room a bit, they all seem pretty handy and helpful.


It's easier than I remember. :/ Ah well :P
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

Crap! SCP-125 is evidently almost exactly what I had in mind. Good thing I asked in their chat.

I really enjoyed the SCP that is a perfectly normal, completely not special human male, who is only kept in the SCP facility because 40 years ago, an older version of himself attacked the Foundation, and was killed in the process. Thus, they need to ensure he is alive and able to carry out the attack to prevent a singularity time thingy.

So any ideas people?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

I had a notion of a patch panel that allowed a computer to connect to parallel Earths and examine their various internet structures, discovered in a small office when a new computer plugged in to a previously run line could not connect to the internal resources but was pulling internet in which they noticed CNN was displaying odd news, the idea being that each port allowed you to connect to a different one and some of them were similar enough to just plug in and go, some required creating new hardware and software to make it work and some that was still a mystery, but I never really went anywhere with it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
netcrusher88
Posts: 2166
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:35 pm UTC
Location: Seattle

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:45 am UTC

Ooh! Tie it in to Stuxnet! Someone broke in and got zero-days from other universes.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 am UTC

A small glass lens that reflects light 3 seconds from the future; anyone peering into it will see what it saw 3 seconds from now. Some people throughout history have modified it into a monocle or a contact lens and used it to keep an edge.

An immense wooden closet similar in design to August Rodin's Gates of Hell. People are invariably drawn to step inside of it, as if they were sleep walking; when this happens and the door is closed, the occupant instantly disappears. Initial analysis reveals that the closet always seems to be full of dust (particularly after an occupant has disappeared in it), and there are numerous claw-marks lining the interior (more clawmarks inevitably appear after someone has disappeared inside of it). After at least one 'incident', the word 'FOREVER' was found crudely clawed on one of the interior walls.

An ornate puzzle box that is manipulated via a series of interlocking joints and hinges, unfolding into a single grooved plate; that is, it would be if anyone could figure out how to open the goddamn thing. It's impervious to all forms of penetration (X-ray or otherwise) and no one as of yet has been able to solve the puzzle and open it. Matters are complicated by the fact that anyone who gets close invariably suffers from a schizoid break before immediately attempting to commit suicide. When left alone, the box slowly (over a period of hours) moves its parts back into its 'closed' position.

EDIT: Another idea.

A type of fungus similar to Cordyceps, except it infects the brains of humans; no one knows the precise mechanism by which it breeds or its ultimate purpose, but it was discovered when deep-sea divers returned with the parasite lodged deeply in their lungs. Victims exhibit a series of odd symptoms; they include clammy skin, burst blood vessels in the eyes (grotesque picture warning!), and the secondary growth of organ structures that resemble very primitive, nonfunctioning gills. Eventually, the victims suffer a mental breakdown and seek out water--the ocean in particular. Those victims who have reached the ocean wade out into it, never to be seen again; those kept on land die via suffocation. Dissection reveals that the fungus has infiltrated their entire bodies, particularly their lungs and brain--replacing crucial organs with parasitic versions. Before dying or otherwise escaping, the infected divers spoke of encountering strange, gray-fleshed pod-like monsters of extraordinary size with dozens of burning red eyes on the deep sea floor.

User avatar
Retne
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:39 am UTC

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Retne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:06 am UTC

...and now I have no excuse to use pre-made cthuhlu campaigns. Damnit... Well I guess I better get to work.

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Levi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:30 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:awesome

Goddammit. Now I'm remembering SCP articles I've read and flipping out over shit like seeing something in my mirror out of the corner of my eye. I love the stuff, but I can't be reminded of it at night. I'm too prone to imagining things.

The only thing is that the first one is something I would want to have, which they prohibit. The easiest solution is to have it cause mental problems, but that seems to be a bit overused. Maybe horrors are occaisonally seen through the glass?

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:35 am UTC

I think one of their rules for creation is that they want you to limit the 'this object renders you insane!!!!'

A puzzle that slowly resets itself and is nearly unsolvable is pretty awesome though.

What about a Jigsaw puzzle that as you assemble it gradually reveals an image of you assembling a jigsaw puzzle. As you continue assembling it, it gradually reveals an image of you assembling a jigsaw puzzle of you assembling a jigsaw puzzle. At the point of three levels of recursion, people report hearing sounds not to dissimilar to pieces of cardboard sliding together, and experiencing dryness of mouth and shortness of breath. No one has completed the entire puzzle.

Personally, I find the class distinctions to be fascinating. They have nothing to do with the DANGER of the object, but merely it's difficulty of containment. I.e., a nuclear bomb can be a 'Safe' classification, whereas bullet cat is a 'Euclid'. The fairly cheesy Keter that basically requires the termination of any and all employees in the event of a lockdown taking more than 60 seconds, sounds like a pretty tricky one to contain.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:39 am UTC

Levi wrote:The only thing is that the first one is something I would want to have, which they prohibit. The easiest solution is to have it cause mental problems, but that seems to be a bit overused. Maybe horrors are occaisonally seen through the glass?
Oh, I wasn't aware of that requirement. I'd have to rethink it a little--I think horrors are a little cliche--the first idea that pops in my head is that the glass reflects everything 10 seconds in the future (rather than 3 seconds), except it's only what could be--leading its wearers to engage in actions to prevent what they see from occurring. Of course, the probable futures invariably seem to involve the current holders' murder, leading to them killing a lot of (potentially) innocent people.

That's a little cliche too, though; one other possible idea--it reflects events far in the future (10 or so years, maybe). At some point, the glass flared with a brilliant, blinding light--since then, it's reflected nothing but an endless desert, a dead sun, and a sky that's eternally on fire. It's reflected this image for approximately 9 years and some number of months.
Izawwlgood wrote:What about a Jigsaw puzzle that as you assemble it gradually reveals an image of you assembling a jigsaw puzzle. As you continue assembling it, it gradually reveals an image of you assembling a jigsaw puzzle of you assembling a jigsaw puzzle. At the point of three levels of recursion, people report hearing sounds not to dissimilar to pieces of cardboard sliding together, and experiencing dryness of mouth and shortness of breath. No one has completed the entire puzzle.
That's pretty cool; I like the idea of a jigsaw puzzle that contains an entire universe inside of it (which contains a version of the jigsaw puzzle, which contains a version of that universe inside of it...)

Edit: Much cooler idea.

As you get closer and closer to solving the puzzle, pieces begin to move on their own; at some point, a part of the piece will slip away to expose an indentation--from which a fingertip will emerge, moving another piece into place. It's then that you realize that there's another world on mapped out on the inside, and someone's working to solve it to turn it inside out (the puzzle unfolds, its interior becoming its exterior). Possibly an entire alternate universe; possibly our own world, reflected back (the fingertip is yours). Or possibly something far more sinister.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

I like that idea a lot, that the assembled jigsaw puzzle is some kind of dimensional gateway, that past a certain critical assembly point, is stable enough to connect to entities on the other side assembling their own jigsaw puzzles... Yeah, man, that's pretty fucking rad.

That to date, no one has completed the puzzle beyond, say, 60%. The original discoverer of the puzzle got it to approximately 55% complete, at which point they began noticing pieces that apparently didn't fit anywhere, but began to assemble themselves.

The image of the puzzle could be something entirely benign too. I think that'd be even creepier.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby felltir » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I like that idea a lot, that the assembled jigsaw puzzle is some kind of dimensional gateway, that past a certain critical assembly point, is stable enough to connect to entities on the other side assembling their own jigsaw puzzles... Yeah, man, that's pretty fucking rad.

That to date, no one has completed the puzzle beyond, say, 60%. The original discoverer of the puzzle got it to approximately 55% complete, at which point they began noticing pieces that apparently didn't fit anywhere, but began to assemble themselves.

The image of the puzzle could be something entirely benign too. I think that'd be even creepier.


Pretty sure there's already a puzzle one. sorry dudes.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-226
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.
Posts: 2493
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm UTC
Location: Back in't home town. Never at home.
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby felltir » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:I like that idea a lot, that the assembled jigsaw puzzle is some kind of dimensional gateway, that past a certain critical assembly point, is stable enough to connect to entities on the other side assembling their own jigsaw puzzles... Yeah, man, that's pretty fucking rad.

That to date, no one has completed the puzzle beyond, say, 60%. The original discoverer of the puzzle got it to approximately 55% complete, at which point they began noticing pieces that apparently didn't fit anywhere, but began to assemble themselves.

The image of the puzzle could be something entirely benign too. I think that'd be even creepier.


Pretty sure there's already a puzzle one. sorry dudes.

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-226


also: http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-551
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.


Blog

he/him/his

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Hippo's is still novel. Those other two are pretty rad though.

When I mentioned my idea in the SCP chatroom, I was immediately pointed to like 3 examples of very similar ideas. It was fist slammingly frustrating.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5101
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

I'm now staring at all the mundane objects on my desk and trying to think of ways they could be SCP objects.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I'm now staring at all the mundane objects on my desk and trying to think of ways they could be SCP objects.

Yes... could be... Or did I just BLOW YOUR MIND
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Okita
Staying Alive
Posts: 3071
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 pm UTC
Location: Finance land.

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Okita » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

Beware of the tape dispenser that makes you doubt whether the tape dispenser is really an SCP or not.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5101
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

Or this perfectly normal red pen.

Perfectly normal except it writes in blue ink!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

Ink on -

Skin - Red
Latex Paint on Wall - Red
Phonebook Paper - Blue
Lined Notebook Paper - Blue
Unlined Artist Sketchbook - Blue
Adhesive Label - Blue
Metal - Red (Very faint)
Papyrus - Blue
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:Pretty sure there's already a puzzle one. sorry dudes.
Both examples you listed are actual jigsaw puzzles, rather than burr boxes--as in, a 3d jigsaw puzzle: Example

Another idea:

The Facility

Posted somewhere in Antartica, the facility is not an SCP itself, but rather, the only known credible response to an unlocated (and unknown) SCP. At some point in 19**, the facility was discovered by Foundation agents after a Russian leak exposed its existence. The facility was found to be a small, self-sustaining radio station that had apparently been abandoned. Though showing signs of very recent habitation, there was no sign of its previous residents; in addition, all the vehicles were accounted for and there were no visible tracks, treads, or other signs of anyone leaving.

Carved into the wooden panel of one of the desks where the radio equipment was housed was a phrase in Russian. Translated, it read: DO NOT LET HER FINISH

Shortly after their arrival, agents were surprised to hear a signal coming in across the radio equipment. It consisted of what they assumed was the recording of a little girl, counting backwards in Russian from 200. After a short panic, the log-books of the previous occupants were discovered and the phrase (in Russian) 'ALL IS WELL' was transmitted by one of the agents. The counting immediately stopped.

Since then, thorough research of the facility and an analysis of the logs have discovered several important facts:

1) There is no discernible way to triangulate the position of the signal.
2) The signal begins randomly; the shortest window between signals was two weeks, and the longest was 10 years.
3) Studying the logbooks of the Russians reveals that they themselves were unaware of the facility's purpose, although they suspect it may be related to the Russian project, [DATA EXPUNGED].
4) After recording several incidents of the signal and comparing them to one another, it was discovered that because of variations in tone, pitch, and phrasing, the girl's voice is not a recording.



(this is inspired by number stations, by the way)

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby zmatt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

ok wiki doesn't give me anything and the site hardly looks legit. I'll bite, what is the scp foundation?
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:01 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:ok wiki doesn't give me anything and the site hardly looks legit. I'll bite, what is the scp foundation?
An excuse to write about creepy-as-fuck objects, situations, and events.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5101
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Is there a magic 8-ball SCP? I feel like there should be one if there's not.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

Would be cool. Haven't seen one yet.

Some other ideas I'd like to explore:

  • A roaming pirate radio station that plays a very small series of repeating notes (an impudent, playfully cheerful yet dumb melody--on an accordion, maybe) interlaced with the sounds of looping screams; invariably, whoever hears this station dies some time later in a horrible manner, the screams they heard on the station eventually revealed to have been their own.
  • A hotel room that no one can forever leave. Once you check in, you can never check out; you can leave, go half-way across the world, but the next time you turn off the lights--or step into a room with no one watching (and you're not paying attention), you'll be back in the room. Otherwise harmless, but on occasion, victims will be discovered dead in their homes, their bodies horribly mutilated, the hotel's keys in their pocket.
  • A man named 'Bob' who causes anyone he touches to also become 'Bob'--identical in physical appearance, experience, and knowledge. Anyone he talks to for an extended period of time starts to take on 'Bob-like' characteristics, and with extended exposure, will start to also become 'Bob'. 'Bob' is just your average retail clerk with no particularly interesting life experiences or explanation for his infectious nature. There are currently over 37 'Bob's.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Often when doing a task, especially tedious ones, I have to break the task into fractions, to set bench marks towards accomplishment, otherwise I simply go crazy and quit. I have painted 1/5th of this wall. I have scraped grime from 5/7ths of this shower. Etc.

So the idea of something that prevents it's completion would be fun, but I'm sure has been done. A silver serving bowl that is slightly tarnished, and no matter how much you polish it, approximately 1/3rd is always covered in dull crud.

Okay, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacculina
Human equivalent.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:
Felltir wrote:Pretty sure there's already a puzzle one. sorry dudes.
Both examples you listed are actual jigsaw puzzles, rather than burr boxes--as in, a 3d jigsaw puzzle: Example

Another idea:

The Facility

Posted somewhere in Antartica, the facility is not an SCP itself, but rather, the only known credible response to an unlocated (and unknown) SCP. At some point in 19**, the facility was discovered by Foundation agents after a Russian leak exposed its existence. The facility was found to be a small, self-sustaining radio station that had apparently been abandoned. Though showing signs of very recent habitation, there was no sign of its previous residents; in addition, all the vehicles were accounted for and there were no visible tracks, treads, or other signs of anyone leaving.

Carved into the wooden panel of one of the desks where the radio equipment was housed was a phrase in Russian. Translated, it read: DO NOT LET HER FINISH

Shortly after their arrival, agents were surprised to hear a signal coming in across the radio equipment. It consisted of what they assumed was the recording of a little girl, counting backwards in Russian from 200. After a short panic, the log-books of the previous occupants were discovered and the phrase (in Russian) 'ALL IS WELL' was transmitted by one of the agents. The counting immediately stopped.

Since then, thorough research of the facility and an analysis of the logs have discovered several important facts:

1) There is no discernible way to triangulate the position of the signal.
2) The signal begins randomly; the shortest window between signals was two weeks, and the longest was 10 years.
3) Studying the logbooks of the Russians reveals that they themselves were unaware of the facility's purpose, although they suspect it may be related to the Russian project, [DATA EXPUNGED].
4) After recording several incidents of the signal and comparing them to one another, it was discovered that because of variations in tone, pitch, and phrasing, the girl's voice is not a recording.



(this is inspired by number stations, by the way)


This one sounds like an awesome idea. Let me know if you get it on the site, kay?
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby The Great Hippo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

I don't think I'd apply, it seems like too much work. I'd be fine with writing some of these up as articles, but I'd prefer to leave the submission to someone who already has membership.

For the pirate radio channel, I was thinking this works great as a repeating background (without the break, just the music repeating). Imagine popping that on your radio, except interspersed with screams.

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:(this is inspired by number stations, by the way)
Having been recently watching Lost (there's no way that's grammatically correct) it reminds me of that too.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

Wandering Train Crossing. Appears randomly, around the world, but only over roads with a traffic density of [redacted] cars per minute. Viewers who peer down the tracks in either direction report visual obstructions or curvature of track preventing vision beyond a few hundred yards. Crossing warning and signage appears to be from the 19[xx]'s and passing train is typically between [xx] and [xx] cars long, with some variation reported. Trains appear to be of known make and models from 19[xx]'s, but inconsistencies have been observed, including occasional sightings of unknown varieties.

Crossing appeared under lack of observation, and vanishes within [xx] minutes of appearance. Length of existence at any given location appears to be proportional to observation and traffic density.

Isolation was performed via thermite cutting of tracks and inflation of ballistic grade absorbent foam, as well as utilization of SCP-[xxx] for translocation of immobilized train and tracks.

Notable discoveries within train cargo included:
[Redacted]
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
roband
Posts: 2545
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:52 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby roband » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 am UTC

This is a really interesting site. Thanks for putting it up.

I'm glad I'm not the sort of person who's imagination can make this stuff scary though. I know a few people who wouldn't be able to read this without freaking out.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Reading through the site, I'm finding myself let down on the quality of a lot of the entries--they don't seem to be narratively or thematically consistent. The birthday monkey, for instance; its apparatus is way too complicated to inspire any honest dread in me. Also, the regenerating lizard should not be able to talk (its ability to speak reduces the amount of fear it produces considerably!).

The Hungry Sands of Tule is a pretty awesome idea, though.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

I've also read through a handful of the "Worst rated" and found some of them pretty decent.

A handful of entries I've stumbled across were just abysmal, like for example, a strain of tomatoes that project themselves at incredible velocities when a bad joke is made in their presence. Or a slot machine that makes those who play it euphoric, then depressed.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP
Posts: 7368
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am UTC
Location: behind you

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Also wasn't a fan of the Gameshow of Death entry, largely because it's just so over the place in its assumptions and supernatural causes. We have spectral guards, invisible barriers, the creation of a DVD, an opportunity to leave if you state your case clearly, etc--there's nothing terribly creepy about it, and the more supernatural effects we have going on, the less thematically consistent it feels.

Compare to something like The Hungry Sands of Thule (I mentioned earlier) which has pretty much just one thematic idea, and does it pretty well.

I'll check out the 'Worst Rated' a little later and see what's there.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests