SCP Foundation

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: SCP Foundation

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

So, less is definitely more?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

The Great Hippo
Swans ARE SHARP

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Yeah, I think so; or at the very least, if you're incorporating a lot of concepts, it pays to have all those concepts intertwined into a single concept--time, some invisible force, the idea that there are creatures who live only between the blink of your eyes, etc.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:52 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I've also read through a handful of the "Worst rated" and found some of them pretty decent.

A handful of entries I've stumbled across were just abysmal, like for example, a strain of tomatoes that project themselves at incredible velocities when a bad joke is made in their presence. Or a slot machine that makes those who play it euphoric, then depressed.

Anything designated SCP-XX-J is a joke entry. Like the tomatoes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

Ah, that explains that.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-142
That's not a joke entry. It's a slot machine that makes people depressed and produces duplicates of what you bet.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

My problem with a lot of the SCP entries is that these things that are meant to be found (at least prior to containment) "in the wild" but if they were in the wild they'd rapidly overrun the entire planet. The Red Ice is just one example: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-009 - there are lots more though.

In short, if your item/substance/nanobot/higher-dimensional-being is so virulent that extreme containment measures have to be taken, how come it didn't cover the planet before it became an SCP?
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

There are some examples of stuff that would cause recognizable outbreak issues. Think Ebola. One of the keter class SCPs is some kind of weird radiation spewing demon, and I can easily envision the thing existing in some jungle cave, eating whatever comes by, occasionally sacrificed a nubile virgin, and living as a myth.

A lot of the stuff that's horrifically unstoppable is that way because it's easy to imagine how it could constantly escape detection.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:44 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:Yeah, I think so; or at the very least, if you're incorporating a lot of concepts, it pays to have all those concepts intertwined into a single concept--time, some invisible force, the idea that there are creatures who live only between the blink of your eyes, etc.

Most of the entries I find to be unusual or freaky instead of outright terrifying.

Maybe we could do something with the idea of getting caught in a fantasy? I'm thinking of something like the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' ability from part six of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, except played for horror more than weaponization.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:I've also read through a handful of the "Worst rated" and found some of them pretty decent.

A handful of entries I've stumbled across were just abysmal, like for example, a strain of tomatoes that project themselves at incredible velocities when a bad joke is made in their presence. Or a slot machine that makes those who play it euphoric, then depressed.

Anything designated SCP-XX-J is a joke entry. Like the tomatoes.

Some things that aren't designated joke entries are also quite funny, like this:

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/experiment-log-295-a
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

Yeah, the site does a good job capturing, I think, the human element of these objects, while simultaneously reporting them as dryly, clinically as possible. The juxtaposition works really well I feel.

There's one that seems to be the ghost of a little girl who died in the La Brea tar pits, and the addendums outline a researcher basically trying to free her. Good stuff. Heavy implications.

guyy

Postby guyy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 am UTC

The Great Hippo wrote:Also wasn't a fan of the Gameshow of Death entry, largely because it's just so over the place in its assumptions and supernatural causes. We have spectral guards, invisible barriers, the creation of a DVD, an opportunity to leave if you state your case clearly, etc--there's nothing terribly creepy about it, and the more supernatural effects we have going on, the less thematically consistent it feels.

Not to mention the fact that it's basically an overly complex, multiplayer version of this one. A popular sort of idea, I guess.

I've got a few ideas for some of these, but, naturally, none of the patience to bother applying and writing them up...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:44 am UTC

Lets hear 'em!

guyy

Postby guyy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:20 am UTC

One somewhat silly one: a button/pin which, when attached to a borrowed piece of clothing you're wearing, causes everyone to mistake you for the person or thing who owns it. With the predictable downside that, if used for too long, you also become convinced that you're that person or thing. Cue "hilarious" results when used with dog vests, doll clothes, or robot pants.

userxp

Postby userxp » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Oh god... this.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

I just found the "gay bomb" entry.

Addendum: To all of you (angry) male staff who thought it would be hilarious to move this into my quarters and detonate it, I'd like to suggest that you watch "The Shawshank Redemption" for clues as to why it didn't take. Heck, do it anyway, it'll give you something to do while you wait to be reassigned to Keter duty.
- Dr. Clef.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 pm UTC

For those who haven't seen The Shawshank Redemption, why is that funny?
Ⓞⓞ◯

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

I haven't seen the film myself. This was just one of the funny addendums to the entry, footnotes in an epic prank war in the middle of a super-serious operation.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

Maybe somebody willexplain it to both of us :wink:
That's also why I love SCP. After reading a few entries you get a sense of who they all are and the... silliness that goes on amid the ruthlessness.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

I have seen the movie, but I have no clue what they're referring to.

Maybe they're referring to the
(trigger!)
Spoiler:
gay prison rapists

but I don't think that's it.

edit: looked up the dialogue of that part. (trigger!)
Spoiler:
Andy: I love rocks and minerals. At least I did before I was a prisoner. I would like to have that as my hobby again in a small way.
Red: Or maybe you'd like to use your new rock hammer to break someone's skull
Andy: No, I have no enemies here.
Red: Really? Wait a while. There is a lot of talk about that. I've heard the men here called the "Sisters" like you a lot—especially Bogs.
Andy: Does it help to tell them that I'm not homosexual?
Red: Neither are they. You have to be human first and they are not human. Bull queers are gay men who rape their victims. It's all they want or understand. If I were you, I would be careful and pay attention to who is behind me.
Andy: Thanks for the advice.

The part in bold.

edit2: perhaps I should offer a trigger-free explanation too.
Basically, in The Shawshank Redemption it is said that to be gay, one has to be human, and not some horrible monster*.

*can be interpreted literally and figuratively.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:36 am UTC

Damn Zarq, you utterly fail to comprehend that quote, but good job twisting that interpretation out. It's funny, because you actually highlighted the part that states the opposite of what you just claimed is being said.
TRIGGER:
Spoiler:
Morgan Freemen was saying that the 'Sisters' are a group of men who enjoy raping their victims, and because they are in prison, their victims happen to be men. See what you bolded? That states that THEY AREN"T GAY.

I have no idea what the film has to do with averting that entry. But following the links on SCP's involved with love, desire, and sexual predatory SCPs was kind of interesting. Lilith is such a cool myth.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 am UTC

Zarq got it pretty spot on. Dr. Clef can't be made gay because, as The Shawshank Redemption puts it, you have to be human first.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 am UTC

I'm just wondering how much money it cost the foundation to repair the damage caused by the prank war.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:12 am UTC

I like the SCP Foundation as a collaborative fiction concept, kinda like the Holders Series but with more atmosphere and thoughtful characterization. I must be alone in also enjoying the way some of the most "popular" personnel like Dr. Clef and Dr. Bright are written. In addition to the SCPs themselves the wiki also has some good short stories set in the Foundation's verse, including a couple Elseworlds-type stories where the SCPs had run amok to the point that even the Foundation couldn't contain them.

And I don't mind the sillier ones like the tomatoes that propel themselves at you when you say a bad joke. I like to think that SCPs as a creative exercise are more than just coming up with the most horrifying/disturbing thing you can think of and then crossing it with a mundane object, and ones like the tomatoes are counterbalanced by both their comedy factor and their Fridge Horror factor.

guyy wrote:One somewhat silly one: a button/pin which, when attached to a borrowed piece of clothing you're wearing, causes everyone to mistake you for the person or thing who owns it. With the predictable downside that, if used for too long, you also become convinced that you're that person or thing. Cue "hilarious" results when used with dog vests, doll clothes, or robot pants.

That kinda reminds me of one of my favorites of the silly ones, SCP-426.
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:40 am UTC

Why would you think you were alone in enjoying the way some of the characters are written?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:23 am UTC

axilog14 wrote:That kinda reminds me of one of my favorites of the silly ones, SCP-426.

I got about two thirds of the way through that before I realized that I had been thinking about myself as if I were actually a thing with thoughts and emotions before I realized that I hadn't ever said a word or even moved. It was pretty creepy.

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:55 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Why would you think you were alone in enjoying the way some of the characters are written?

Mostly because I admit I haven't read through all the SCPs as thoroughly as I would have liked. To be fair the SCP Foundation as a work isn't for everybody, with the Archive Panic involved adding to that IMO. I'm not all that well-versed in most of the inside jokes or canonical timeline of the work, so as a shorthand for my familiarity with the series I defer to the more well-known SCPs (i.e. 173 and 682) in addition to the recurring personnel characters.

I guess if I had to find a clumsy metaphor for what I'm feeling, it's like going to Six Flags Magic Mountain and claiming you enjoyed the ferris wheel best (is there even a ferris wheel at Magic Mountain anymore? I only know they have like tons of huge roller coasters there.)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Just because somebody might think the rollercoasters are more fun doesn't stop the ferris wheel being cool too.
Ⓞⓞ◯

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

Well then many thanks for the reassuring words! :)

I have to say that I really do like the Foundation's stories/SCPs best when they're subtle. SCP-914 took me a while to get the gist of at first, especially what the exact implications of the "Very Fine" setting were supposed to be. Now that I do get it though, I now consider it something of a marvel when you try to wrap your mind around where or how such an artifact came to be in the first place. Somehow I find the SCPs that seem like they should have some logical (albeit insanely out-there) explanation much more satisfying than the hand-wavey Reality Warper types. The subtlety thing also goes for the "tragic" SCPs, like the
Spoiler:
pegasus that lost its wings and had gone suicidal.

Other random SCP bits I enjoyed:
- SCP-237, the Japanese hikikomori that can create and animate resin homunculi. As an avid toy enthusiast/sheltered loner myself I oddly related to this particular SCP a lot. But the part that has to take the cake though is that section near the end that implies that his skills might in fact be Euclid-/Keter-worthy.
- the different proposals for what would be SCP-001. This was what also lead me to note what a fan I've become of Dr. Clef's stories. Somehow the fact that an organization that deals with random supernatural weirdness on a daily basis might seriously make
Spoiler:
a (literal) fallen angel
its SCP-001 sort of brings some perspective back to the Foundation as a whole. (I also highly recommend some of the non-canonical "Elseworlds" shorts in this regard, particularly this one)
- lastly, another Dr. Clef story, and the one that solidifies how memorable the "human" side of the Foundation had become to me personally. Spoilered for highly noncanonical content:
Spoiler:
http://www.scp-wiki.net/the-best-and-the-wisest

Hypothetical scenario depicting Dr. Clef's death. Also involves Dr. Bright.

Return to “General”