REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

The misconception that most frequently drives me to anger is when people call an operating system's use of hard drive space for RAM "Virtual Memory". "Virtual memory" has a real meaning, and that's not it.

And this one is actually Apple's fault (System 7 IIRC). The correct term is "swapping", as in, "The operating system swaps pages out to disk." The area on disk that the pages are swapped to is abstracted as a file (the swap file) or a partition (the swap partition).
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Sevic

Postby Sevic » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

My little pet peeve,
When you tell someone that you are an engineering student and they automatically assume that you are a nerd.

So I tell them i'm studying biomedical engineering and their response is usually.. What is that?
---------------------

Don't worry, the ground will break your fall!

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:39 am UTC

People who insist that the Coriolis force is responsible for how their sinks/tubs/toilets drain.

Coriolis doesn't do squat to your water fixtures, the system is too small/doesn't last long enough. You'd be surprised how many people will argue this with me up and down, even after I show them the math.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:44 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:Being cynical is the same as being emo.

That being depressed is being emo.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

xooll

Postby xooll » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:53 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:People who insist that the Coriolis force is responsible for how their sinks/tubs/toilets drain.

Coriolis doesn't do squat to your water fixtures, the system is too small/doesn't last long enough. You'd be surprised how many people will argue this with me up and down, even after I show them the math.

I think you can blame the simpsons for the popularization of that theory.
I find the best way to convince such people is to show them the toilet going clockwise and the sink going counterclockwise in the same room.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:41 am UTC

xooll wrote:
Swordfish wrote:People who insist that the Coriolis force is responsible for how their sinks/tubs/toilets drain.

I think you can blame the simpsons for the popularization of that theory.
I find the best way to convince such people is to show them the toilet going clockwise and the sink going counterclockwise in the same room.

Yeah, it is primarily the fault of the Simpsons. Another problem is, if you learn anything about Coriolis in grade school, you're teachers will tell you that it's why the toilet flushes te way it does. My dynamics teacher told us that his son was learning it in middle school, and was quite displeased with his teacher for offering that fact (this is the professor that the other's in my class and major learned the most about Coriolis from).

Unfortunately, I've noticed that most sinks tend to drain straight down, which leaves just the toilet that drains the same way every time because of the water jets in it.

tarkadal

Postby tarkadal » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:43 am UTC

Sevic wrote:My little pet peeve,
When you tell someone that you are an engineering student and they automatically assume that you are a nerd.

So I tell them i'm studying biomedical engineering and their response is usually.. What is that?

When you tell someone you are an engineer and they assume you build bridges or the like. Engineering spans more fields than bridges. Hooray for microelectronics!

Also, that video games are for kids. They are for anyone. Additionally and specifically, pokémon is not a kids game. Sure kids love it, but if you get down into the mechanics, stats and number crunching of competitive battling, it's quite complicated and fascinating.
Happiness is a time a place. A memory a chemical imbalance or shift.

Enid

Postby Enid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:03 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:The Da Vinci-code is good.

Thank you. Finally someone who agrees with me on this.

People who think that because I like to cook and sew I can't be a feminist.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:15 am UTC

I used to work in a book store, and I'd actually tell people not to buy it. I'd usually hand them a copy of Catch-22 instead.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:20 am UTC

I hate the fact that when people know that I'm ridiculously smart, they can't believe that I'm also attractive.

Or when people meet me when I'm all dressed up or whatever, and are so surprised at how smart/nerdy I am.

Ugh. And boys. When I'm all like Oh me yarm SCIENCE AND COMPUTERS, and they're all like Oh me yarm WAIT WUT? BUT BOOBS != NERD LOL.

Okay, that was really annoying, and I apologize, but I was mad. Sorry.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Alcari wrote:
Misconception:
Nerds have no friends, girl/boyfriend or social life.

Most definitely. I get that a LOT.

Smart != good at EVERYTHING mildly academic/intellectual/nerdy. My favourite:

"Hey Liza, you got like, a 2300 on the PSAT, right?" (we were talking about psat scores earlier)
"Err, yeah."
"You wanna come over here and help me with my computer? It's not starting."

What? How are those two correlated?

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:30 am UTC

Here's another one.

People think that think I can only see in black and white when I tell them I'm colorblind.

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:34 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:People think that think I can only see in black and white when I tell them I'm colorblind.

They should have paid attention in their 1000 level Biology courses. I think we learned at least four different types of colorblindness apart from black and white vision.

My least favorite misconception: Christians do not have fun. That's... just stupid. Only applies to boring Christians, really. :)

tarkadal

Postby tarkadal » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:43 am UTC

People asssume that because you can juggle or unicycle that you are a clown. I am not a clown, I am a juggler, there is a difference people! And the amount of people who mockingly make that circus tune at you. Just because I am entertaining doesn't give you the right to make fun of me!
Happiness is a time a place. A memory a chemical imbalance or shift.

Enid

Postby Enid » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:52 am UTC

argyl3 wrote:Ugh. And boys. When I'm all like Oh me yarm SCIENCE AND COMPUTERS, and they're all like Oh me yarm WAIT WUT? BUT BOOBS != NERD LOL.

Oh no, I know exactly what you mean. I know this guy that kept insisting that I'm not a nerd because I'm pretty(ish.) Although I've hammered it into his head that I like being a nerd, thank you very much, he still insists that I may be a geek, but a cool geek. Because most geeks suck. Ugh.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Eleven wrote:
Swordfish wrote:People think that think I can only see in black and white when I tell them I'm colorblind.

They should have paid attention in their 1000 level Biology courses. I think we learned at least four different types of colorblindness apart from black and white vision.

...Or seventh grade Bio/Sci/Health (well, they were lumped together in my middle school). Am I the only person who retained info from middle school science?

GMontag

Postby GMontag » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:55 am UTC

aldimond wrote:The misconception that most frequently drives me to anger is when people call an operating system's use of hard drive space for RAM "Virtual Memory". "Virtual memory" has a real meaning, and that's not it.

And this one is actually Apple's fault (System 7 IIRC). The correct term is "swapping", as in, "The operating system swaps pages out to disk." The area on disk that the pages are swapped to is abstracted as a file (the swap file) or a partition (the swap partition).

Er, no. Apple's usage of the term "virtual memory" was completely correct. "Swap" is also correct, as they are describing different characteristics of the memory manager. The data in the virtual memory file on the disk was directly addressable in the address space, therefore qualifies as "virtual memory". When the processor tried to access that memory, it generated a page fault and handed control over to the swapper which would swap the appropriate page in, so it was "swap" as well.

I don't know enough about memory management in modern operating systems to know if the usage is still correct, but it was most certainly correct back then.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:04 am UTC

__Kit

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby __Kit » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:11 am UTC

Marbas wrote:When people who don't know what they're doing say: "I know a lot about computers".

But I do know alot :o Wouldn't this be the same for anyone with more experience than another, e.g. some of you guys may think me an incompetent computer user (High distinction in Australasian Comp. Skills though :P) While I think other people are pathetic (I love you mum, but you can't shut the friggin' comp down!). Yeah.
=]

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:21 am UTC

GMontag wrote:
aldimond wrote:The misconception that most frequently drives me to anger is when people call an operating system's use of hard drive space for RAM "Virtual Memory". "Virtual memory" has a real meaning, and that's not it.

Er, no. Apple's usage of the term "virtual memory" was completely correct. "Swap" is also correct, as they are describing different characteristics of the memory manager. The data in the virtual memory file on the disk was directly addressable in the address space, therefore qualifies as "virtual memory". When the processor tried to access that memory, it generated a page fault and handed control over to the swapper which would swap the appropriate page in, so it was "swap" as well.

I don't know enough about memory management in modern operating systems to know if the usage is still correct, but it was most certainly correct back then.

I'm sure that windows said using disk space as ram was virtual memory too.

Not all these misconceptions are common knoweledge so if you could maybe back up some claims with one or two links that would help... because that way there will be less ignorant people. Dont just bitch, get out there and do soemthing about it :P

Uhmmm... yeah, I hate people who think that everyone should magically know what they know and then complain about it when people dont, and then dont even bother to explain it properly or back it up.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:20 am UTC

argyl3 wrote:I hate the fact that when people know that I'm ridiculously smart, they can't believe that I'm also attractive.

Or when people meet me when I'm all dressed up or whatever, and are so surprised at how smart/nerdy I am.

Ugh. And boys. When I'm all like Oh me yarm SCIENCE AND COMPUTERS, and they're all like Oh me yarm WAIT WUT? BUT BOOBS != NERD LOL.

It could be worse, they could be using the basic operator <> instead of !=.

Misconception: Basic is a good language to cut your teeth on. God I wish dad would have handed me the C book instead of the basic one...
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:22 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:Fun times...

That babbage quote at the top of the page is hilarious!

Pet peeve would be people who think that maths phd => human calculator.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:58 am UTC

This is just something that annoys me ( I doubt I'm right too) ,but I cannot understand how being an Apple and being a personal computer are mutual exclusive.
Is it a computer?
Can it be for personal use?

WTF?!
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:38 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Pet peeve would be people who think that maths phd => human calculator.

I was called a human calculator all through school. So was my brother actually... Although this was pretty cool because we had maths games in class such as "round the world" where everyone sits in a circle except the "champion" who stands behind someone, and the champion has to get the answer to a question before the challenger and then they move to the next person etc. and once you go all around the circle without losing you win...

I won that alot, until the teacher started using cheap tricks to get other people to beat me :P

What pissed me off was people who said "whats 500 times a million???" and were surprised when I knew the answer straight away... I mean, thats how the decimal system works...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Pebbles

Postby Pebbles » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:47 am UTC

JuliaGlass wrote:

I used to work in a book store, and I'd actually tell people not to buy it. I'd usually hand them a copy of Catch-22 instead.

you are a wonderful person...
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:08 am UTC

Tractor wrote:@warhorse - At least when they pretend to know, they say amazingly stupid things and we can all make fun of them behind their backs. :twisted:

Lol! For ages my mum was referring to her usb drive as jpg. She would say "oh just transfer it on the jpg". It was actually one of the most ridiculously retarded things ever.

Edit: Also my brother telling me I was a nerd just because I have glasses. Has that stereotype not deteriorated already?
Last edited by Emmaskillz on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:21 am UTC

Pebbles wrote:
JuliaGlass wrote:

you are a wonderful person...

While Catch 22 is undoubtedly better than The Davinci Code, the latter is still an excellent work of fiction.

Which leads somewhat indirectly to my next point. I can't stand it when people believe that popular == bad.

As for misconceptions, people think I'm gay because I wear a scarf! and maybe mittens too, sometimes Despite my 6 year heterosexual relationship with a girl!
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:56 am UTC

But, scarfs ARE gay :P

Also, Offtopic, but concerning the math stuff... It's really appaling how little people use their heads for calculations anymore. I've got fellow students who are incapable of adding two two-digit numbers.

Also, It's wierd how kids still learn to count from 1 to 10, while counting from 0 to 9 is so much more usefull for math.

Misconception: Working with computers makes you knowledgable in every piece of obscure software.

"Hey, you know about computers right?" "uhh..yes?" "Right, i'm trying to make a transition is [obscure video software] and ..."

Misconseption: Everyone who speaks english is an american.

I really hate it when people automatically asume that, because your english is good, you have to be american. Surprise, some of us can actually learn a second (third, fourth) language.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

people who think ignorant means something other than a lack of knowledge.

had something along the lines of the following before

"but i wasn't ignoring you?"

and

"i'm not ignorant about it, i just didn't know about it."
in ur beanz makin u eveel

bavardage

Postby bavardage » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:06 pm UTC

The assumption because you're intelligent you should be able to answer obscure sums in your head instantly.
"You think you are good at maths?"
"Uuh I guess"
"What's 42561 * 342652 then?"

:|

Ignorant teachers - this year my IT teacher told us all that a 'USB' was a form of storage.

That because you're intelligent you have no personality.

People who pester you on msn, assuming that you want to help them with coursework due in the next day.

People who assume that there is no reason for learning foreign languages as 'everyone speaks english anyway,' though I suppose it does mean that my German class next year is going to be insanely small.

The assumption that "I should of done blah" "I would of gone to blah" is valid english (don't know whether this is heard in other places, but here (south-west UK) this seems to be becoming more common.)
'It can't be software incompatibility - the Trodden Spiral was designed for concentric rings, idiot ...'

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:32 pm UTC

Annoying misconception: that agnosticism and atheism are the same.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:23 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:Annoying misconception: that agnosticism and atheism are the same.

or that agnosticism means you can't make your mind up >.<
in ur beanz makin u eveel

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 pm UTC

bavardage wrote:
The assumption that "I should of done blah" "I would of gone to blah" is valid english

That's a good one. I also hear "I could care less" a lot.
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

Joeldi wrote:This is just something that annoys me ( I doubt I'm right too) ,but I cannot understand how being an Apple and being a personal computer are mutual exclusive.
Is it a computer?
Can it be for personal use?

WTF?!

"PC" is accepted industry-wide as meaning "Windows machine." So in that sense, Apple and Personal Computer are exclusive.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Nuclear Spoon

Postby Nuclear Spoon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

That because I am an atheist, for some reason I am automatically a Satanist and/or Nazi. Seriously, I've had that.

That I have a benign tumour on my leg I am going to infect everyone within a 1 mile radius with severe chronic avian CancAIDSilitis.

Also, that because I lived in America for 4 years as a kid, I am an American. The amount of times I've had to explain that.

[/b]
www.gaming4charity.org

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

bavardage wrote:The assumption that "I should of done blah" "I would of gone to blah" is valid english (don't know whether this is heard in other places, but here (south-west UK) this seems to be becoming more common.)

um... I'm not sure if it's valid English, but the "Should of" you are talking about, is (I think) meant to be "Should've". As in "Should have" with one syllable replaced with an apostrophe, probably due to an accent. Though I suppose, if people actually believe that it's spelled "Should of" and that is valid English, then that would be an annoying misconception...

Anyway, I hate when people think I'm talking about the movie version of a book, and I have to actually say "Oh, I'm not talking about the movie." It really bugs me that the adapted version is the version that is most widely known, and the adapted version is usually worse. Examples include the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and possibly the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:
Durinthal wrote:Annoying misconception: that agnosticism and atheism are the same.

or that agnosticism means you can't make your mind up >.<

Or that either of those terms have rigid definitions, and aren't redefined by every damn person who uses them.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:
bavardage wrote:The assumption that "I should of done blah" "I would of gone to blah" is valid english (don't know whether this is heard in other places, but here (south-west UK) this seems to be becoming more common.)

um... I'm not sure if it's valid English, but the "Should of" you are talking about, is (I think) meant to be "Should've". As in "Should have" with one syllable replaced with an apostrophe, probably due to an accent. Though I suppose, if people actually believe that it's spelled "Should of" and that is valid English, then that would be an annoying misconception...

Exactly. The misconception is the assumption that it is correct English.

Misconception: That wings work via Bernoulli's principle.

AIRPLANES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY. GOODNIGHT.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

Misconception: Actors, while at their day job, like to organize and perform little skits at the office meeting. I mean, we're actors! Duh! We love to do skits! *hates the word "skit"*
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

Misconception:
When people assume that because I run Linux on a computer, I am automatically Jesus Reincarnated As Your Personal Lord And Savior Of All Computer Troubles Both Large And Meager.

Actually, that's not annoying. I really do like it when people assume I'm smarter than I am. That rocks.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Return to “General”