REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lunchtime.samurai
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 am UTC
Location: Satellite Two

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby lunchtime.samurai » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 pm UTC

Misconceptions me and my friends encounter daily:
* Gays are always effeminate.
* LA Ice drinkers are always bogan.
* Bisexuals are transgender.
* Bisexuals are gay.
* Because I'm good at humanities subjects I'm also good at maths/science subjects.
* Because we were in the same homeroom last year, I am willing to give you money.
* Energy drinks make the drinker cool.
* Because I can use Fireworks 8 competently, I know every single bug to afflict every computer program.
* Because I know what is on lemonparty.com, I like it.
* Because I understand and enjoy political humour, I am a slave to The Establishment.
* Communism is inevitably totalarian.
* Atheists believe in aliens.
* Because I haven't punched you yet, I am not pissed off.
[/rant]
Scenes from the dim, dusty, back corner of Omegle:
Stranger: He's a loving, sensitive man.
You: He's a neo-nazi.
Stranger: Your point being?

(Grammar and spelling repaired for your protection)

HiddenCounter
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:05 am UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby HiddenCounter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

lunchtime.samurai wrote:Misconceptions me and my friends encounter daily:
* Gays are always effeminate.
* LA Ice drinkers are always bogan.
* Bisexuals are transgender.
* Bisexuals are gay.
* Because I'm good at humanities subjects I'm also good at maths/science subjects.
* Because we were in the same homeroom last year, I am willing to give you money.
* Energy drinks make the drinker cool.
* Because I can use Fireworks 8 competently, I know every single bug to afflict every computer program.
* Because I know what is on lemonparty.com, I like it.
* Because I understand and enjoy political humour, I am a slave to The Establishment.
* Communism is inevitably totalarian.
* Atheists believe in aliens.
* Because I haven't punched you yet, I am not pissed off.
[/rant]


Oh god, someone tricked me into going on to lemonparty.


He told me it was a new political party and has great information and should check it out if you're interested in politics. I don't know one person who thinks I believe in aliens however, has this happened to you?
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

I think the alien thing comes from people who assume you absolutely must believe in *something* powerful living in the sky, or something that intelligently designed Earth and the life on it. So if not God, it must be aliens.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Torvaun » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

I believe that aliens are statistically likely, and that making contact with aliens is statistically somewhere around a snowball's chance in hell.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

Yeah, I took "believe in aliens" to mean a belief that they were visiting us or had ever had anything at all to do with us, not simply that they probably exist somewhere. Believe in aliens the way religious people believe in God, in other words, rather than on the much weaker level that I believe it won't rain tomorrow.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

lunchtime.samurai wrote:* Because I understand and enjoy political humour, I am a slave to The Establishment.

Shouldn't the opposite be true?
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:34 pm UTC
Location: Here, I suppose. I could be elsewhere...

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
lunchtime.samurai wrote:* Because I understand and enjoy political humour, I am a slave to The Establishment.

Shouldn't the opposite be true?


No, because if you understand politics well enough to get the jokes, you MUST therefore agree with everything the establishment says.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.


she/her/hers
=]

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

Right. And you have to keep in mind that by holding this misconception, they thereby prove that they don't understand politics enough to realize that there are different views therein. So they miss the tiny subtleties of, say, distinguishing between The Establishment's opinion that gays should be allowed to marry and The Establishment's opinion that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:32 am UTC

Still doesn't quite make sense. It seems that if you understand something it's impossible to be a "slave" to it.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
femtometer
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:45 am UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby femtometer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:56 am UTC

That CSI / Bones / whatever popular lab-based drama is a totally accurate portrayal of how an actual laboratory would run.

... still doesn't prevent me from watching them though.

hawkmp4
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Colorado, US

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby hawkmp4 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:58 am UTC

That because I am an applied mathematics major and help teach a calc workshop means I will tutor you in Calc. No. I have a life. I have school. I have other obligations. I love teaching but I can't tutor everyone that asks.
Computer Science: A place to discuss the spirituality of Pornography Storage Apparatuses and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:37 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Still doesn't quite make sense. It seems that if you understand something it's impossible to be a "slave" to it.
I'm pretty sure plenty of slaves understood the institution of slavery.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

lunchtime.samurai
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 am UTC
Location: Satellite Two

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby lunchtime.samurai » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:35 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:
lunchtime.samurai wrote:* Because I understand and enjoy political humour, I am a slave to The Establishment.

Shouldn't the opposite be true?



The problem with that comment is that you are assuming a certain level of intelligence on the part of the carriers of the misconception. A level of intelligence that is simply not present.
Also, when I said 'believe in aliens' I meant 'believe that aliens visit us and administer rectal probes'.
Scenes from the dim, dusty, back corner of Omegle:
Stranger: He's a loving, sensitive man.
You: He's a neo-nazi.
Stranger: Your point being?

(Grammar and spelling repaired for your protection)

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby EmptySet » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

lunchtime.samurai wrote:* Because I'm good at humanities subjects I'm also good at maths/science subjects.


Really? I've always had the opposite problem. That is, people telling me I'm "not allowed" to be good at art or humanities because I'm good at science, or that it's "not fair" that I have any creative ability.

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

1. Indians eat a fuckload of spice.

Um, no. It actually depends on what kind of cuisine you're eating. Yes, there is more than one. People say this because they equate "Indian food" to what we call "Punjabi food" or other delicacies that are from the North of India. South Indian food is actually pretty bland.

2. Because I say that I don't want to either get married or have kids, I am a) A heartless bitch or b) Impotent (wtf, right?)

Actually, I'm just a lazy goose who will not do responsible things unless she finds someone who will share those responsibilities EQUALLY. Finding someone like that is like finding a needle in the haystack. If I DO find my needle, I may reconsider but until then - no marriage, thank you.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
Coffee
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:56 am UTC
Location: Far away

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Coffee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Yes, I'm a Texan.
No, I don't wear a cowboy hat.
I don't even own cowboy boots.
I don't have an oil well somewhere.
I don't drive a pick'up truck.
I don't listen to country music.
I don't own a shotgun or go hunting regularly.
I don't hate or distrust norhterners.
I don't ride a horse. Don't even know how. (Motorcycle yes.)
I speak and understand American English
I don't give a rat's ass about the Dallas Cowboys

Yes I am damn fine at bbq'n, and I love me some brisquet.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

Amie wrote:Yes, there is more than one.

Yeah, I find it pretty annoying most of the time when people think of $nationality food as only one kind of thing. Especially for the biggest countries on Earth. India and China have over a billion people each, so I bet they have more than one type of cuisine. And the US has as many people as Germany, France, the UK, Italy, and Spain combined. So no, we don't all just eat fast food and pizza or whatever foreigners often seem to think.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Grop » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

I've just seen the American Food thread, which was interesting.

Also what we typically eat in our smallish French country depends on the place, so one may imagine it's the same in the US.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26518
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

Where You Are (region) + Where You Are (Population Density) + Where You're From/Where Your Parents Were From = What You Eat.

Basically, regions sell you stuff to make the regional foods, but the more people in an area, the easier it is to get things to make dishes from outside that region/nation and what you know how to make/what you've created in your spare time off of what you know how to make... All of that put together is going to determine what you eat.

Which is why I eat mud sandwiches made from turnips.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Peter Galbavy
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 am UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Peter Galbavy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

Amie wrote:1. Indians eat a fuckload of spice.

Um, no. It actually depends on what kind of cuisine you're eating. Yes, there is more than one. People say this because they equate "Indian food" to what we call "Punjabi food" or other delicacies that are from the North of India. South Indian food is actually pretty bland.


Yes, and us Hungarians eat nothing but Goulash. Sigh.

2. Because I say that I don't want to either get married or have kids, I am a) A heartless bitch or b) Impotent (wtf, right?)

Actually, I'm just a lazy goose who will not do responsible things unless she finds someone who will share those responsibilities EQUALLY. Finding someone like that is like finding a needle in the haystack. If I DO find my needle, I may reconsider but until then - no marriage, thank you.


Ditto, but my distant peasant class relatives are convinced I must be gay as I didn't get married by the time I was 21. And if I was ? Sigh again. Peasants.

HiddenCounter
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:05 am UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby HiddenCounter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

When you erase what you say while someone is trying to look and they assume the worst.



lol, just happened now.



People who think Pokemon is the only anime.


"Do you watch anime?"

"I am not that into pokemon."
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26518
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

I remember when all Anime was Sailor Moon....
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

Peter Galbavy wrote:Ditto, but my distant peasant class relatives are convinced I must be gay as I didn't get married by the time I was 21. And if I was ? Sigh again. Peasants.
[/quote]
My aunts actually asked my mum this and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry:

"Does she have any... problems? Can't she give birth? Or WORSE is she le.. lesb.. lesbian? Gasp!"

People.are.idiots.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

HiddenCounter
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:05 am UTC
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby HiddenCounter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Amie wrote:
Peter Galbavy wrote:Ditto, but my distant peasant class relatives are convinced I must be gay as I didn't get married by the time I was 21. And if I was ? Sigh again. Peasants.

My aunts actually asked my mum this and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry:

"Does she have any... problems? Can't she give birth? Or WORSE is she le.. lesb.. lesbian? Gasp!"

People.are.idiots.[/quote]


I don't understand people's problem with sexual orientiation. Are they afraid of different. I grew up in a mormon family who always taught me it was a sin.


My family is ignorant.
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

Coffee wrote:I don't drive a pick'up truck.

I didn't know that had an apostrophe.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Coffee
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:56 am UTC
Location: Far away

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Coffee » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Maybe it's a dash? Pick-up? Doesn't look right as pickup does it.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kewangji » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

Amie wrote:1. Indians eat a fuckload of spice.

Um, no. It actually depends on what kind of cuisine you're eating. Yes, there is more than one. People say this because they equate "Indian food" to what we call "Punjabi food" or other delicacies that are from the North of India. South Indian food is actually pretty bland.

I was in South India and ate very spicy food. Like, I regretted eating it as soon as I chewed my first chew. Was that Punjabi for tourists, or do we just have different frames of perspective where you're used to spicier food than I, as a Swede, am not used to as spicy food? :o
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

HiddenCounter wrote:I don't understand people's problem with sexual orientiation. Are they afraid of different. I grew up in a mormon family who always taught me it was a sin.


My family is ignorant.

Join le club. My immediate family (my mum and bro) took my bisexuality surprisingly well. Other people in the LGBT community here aren't so lucky. People just dismiss everything they don't like or approve of with their half witted statements they like to call logic. Sigh.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
Cane
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Cane » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

Coffee wrote:Yes, I'm a Texan.
No, I don't wear a cowboy hat.
I don't even own cowboy boots.
I don't drive a pick'up truck.
I don't own a shotgun or go hunting regularly.
I don't hate or distrust norhterners.
I don't give a rat's ass about the Dallas Cowboys.

To be fair, most of the stereotypes have a good deal of fact behind them. I spent some time there and found these thing to be present in statistically significant quantities. I've never felt more liberal in my life than when having a discussion about all the gays on TV with a bunch of Texans.

I know they don't apply to everyone, including yourself, but at least people are making assumptions based on reality.
Red Hal: I'll tell you what you can do with your autoerotic anal penetration, young Cane, you can shove it up y... oh, hang on.

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:I was in South India and ate very spicy food. Like, I regretted eating it as soon as I chewed my first chew. Was that Punjabi for tourists, or do we just have different frames of perspective where you're used to spicier food than I, as a Swede, am not used to as spicy food? :o

BEING in South India, you can still get North Indian food which WILL be spicy, regardless of from where you eat it. You eat N. Indian food in Sweden, it's still going to be spicy :P If you'd have eaten South Indian food you'd be surprised because that mainly consists of steamed stuff made from rice that you eat with chutneys (made from coconut). See? Little or no spice there. You can always tell them to cut down on the spice, btw because personally, I love the food here.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
Kewangji
Has Been Touched
Posts: 2253
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:20 pm UTC
Location: Lost in Translation
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Kewangji » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Amie wrote:
Kewangji wrote:I was in South India and ate very spicy food. Like, I regretted eating it as soon as I chewed my first chew. Was that Punjabi for tourists, or do we just have different frames of perspective where you're used to spicier food than I, as a Swede, am not used to as spicy food? :o

BEING in South India, you can still get North Indian food which WILL be spicy, regardless of from where you eat it. You eat N. Indian food in Sweden, it's still going to be spicy :P If you'd have eaten South Indian food you'd be surprised because that mainly consists of steamed stuff made from rice that you eat with chutneys (made from coconut). See? Little or no spice there. You can always tell them to cut down on the spice, btw because personally, I love the food here.

I did tell them to do that, and it was still too spicy :P
I did eventually find a dish with fried rice and chicken without spice, though, which I ate all the time.
Thanks for the education. :)
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

lunchtime.samurai
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 am UTC
Location: Satellite Two

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby lunchtime.samurai » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am UTC

In Australia, we eat the same fod in every part of the country. Viz, badly made pasta dishes and stir-fries from a jar.

I should probably post a misconception as well, so...
*Australian slang is used by Australians. Eurgh. No. It. Is. Not.
Scenes from the dim, dusty, back corner of Omegle:
Stranger: He's a loving, sensitive man.
You: He's a neo-nazi.
Stranger: Your point being?

(Grammar and spelling repaired for your protection)

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby emceng » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

lunchtime.samurai wrote:*Australian slang is used by Australians. Eurgh. No. It. Is. Not.


Isn't Australian slang, by definition, used by Australians? The misconception would be that popular media portrayals of Australians misattribute slang to their culture.

Or, to translate to Australian: "G'day mate, wanna shrimp barbie wallaby kangaroo boomerang Fosters?"
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7572
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby phlip » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Or, to translate to Australian: "G'day mate, wanna shrimp barbie wallaby kangaroo boomerang Fosters?"

Either it's hilarious to see that from a user with the Swedish Chef in their avatar, or my sense of humour's broken because I should've been in bed an hour ago.

Or possibly both.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Peter Galbavy
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 am UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Peter Galbavy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

Amie wrote:
Peter Galbavy wrote:People.are.idiots.


I like the thing I once read that sanity is defined by being able to take on new concepts and change your viewpoint based on new data as you go through life. By this definition, and I use that term loosely, most people in the world are proabably insane.

I prefer calling them ignorant peasants.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26518
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

Sure. And then you come across as an elitist prick.

The system works!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Peter Galbavy
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 am UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Peter Galbavy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

I think that's entire forum, self selecting, in general :)

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26766
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

lunchtime.samurai wrote:*Australian slang is used by Australians. Eurgh. No. It. Is. Not.

Yes. It. Is.

Granted, perhaps not everything that gets called Aussie slang elsewhere is actually slang in Australia, and perhaps people don't use it as often as media portrayals might have us believe, but Australians abso-fucking-lutely use a great deal of slang that is unique to that island.

If you're Australian, I would guess that part of the problem is you're simply not aware of how much of your everyday speech is full of Australianisms.
Last edited by gmalivuk on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 pm UTC
Location: South-East Snakeville

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

I use "no worries" disturbingly often. It's just the best response in terms of conveying the exact tone and meaning I like to convey - better than, say, "you're welcome" or "it's a pleasure", and in other circumstances, better than "think nothing of it" or "I forgive you for that minor slight".
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

I use "no worries" a fair amount. I never associated it with Australia, though.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests