REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby Berengal » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:42 am UTC

Bingo Little wrote:Anyone who uses forums on the internet, at all, is a hopeless nerd who has no real life communication except with the man delivering the pizza.

You mean I'm not? I guess you're right. I do phone my friend once every couple of months after all.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:14 am UTC

anything animated is for little kiddies

... >_>

izealand

Re:

Postby izealand » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:08 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Ladies thinking that, just because I'm gay, it's still ok to hit on me. Repeatedly. After I ask them to stop.

too true, or my all time favorite
"Oh me yarm soandso told me you were gay the other day, lets go shopping together"

i was speechless for a good 30 mins after that before i finally told her that queer eye for the straight guy probably doesnt give the most accurate cross section of gay society.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:
Bingo Little wrote:Anyone who uses forums on the internet, at all, is a hopeless nerd who has no real life communication except with the man delivering the pizza.

You mean I'm not? I guess you're right. I do phone my friend once every couple of months after all.

I find that this seems to have been slightly reversed: in teen society where I live you're a hopeless nerd who has no real life communication if you DON'T use the internet (well, facebook and MSN at least). Not having a computer with internet access is like not having a TV (though I do know one girl who has internet but no TV).

Annoying Misconception: That Wikipedia is inaccurate, regardless of what you're looking at. When that story about people editing corporate or political entries was reported on, everyone seems to be following a wiki-hate trend. "Why are you looking that word up on Wikipedia? Don't you know that anyone can edit it? It could be wrong!". People seem to forget about the existence of common sense and salt.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

Misconception: If I am reasonably familiar with computers, but find it incredibly frustrating when people assume I can fix theirs with ease, I shall post in this thread to that effect, and nobody else will have done so before me.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

If they didn't post, this thread would be almost empty.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

davef

Postby davef » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

But... but.... you're offline! How the hell did you do that?

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

Probably the same way I do it. Email notification.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

You can reply via email notification? I don't think I've ever received an email notification, let alone replied using one.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

davef

Postby davef » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

Now you're online...

*head asplodes*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

You'll never make it as a doctor if your head explodes!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:23 pm UTC

I think that one's actually true.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:58 pm UTC

That I'm gay, when in fact I'm just very secure with the fact I'm not
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:28 am UTC

Nope, can't reply via email (as far as I know), but I'll commonly get an email saying there's been a reply, click the link, read the response, maybe post, then disappear again within a couple minutes. It's like ninja posting!
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:45 am UTC

I wish I didn't agree with that statement, the problem is, no-one says it, maybe they don't think that, it's just a vibe, It's certainly making me paranoid, but whether it's justified I have no idea...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:53 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:I wish I didn't agree with that statement, the problem is, no-one says it, maybe they don't think that, it's just a vibe, It's certainly making me paranoid, but whether it's justified I have no idea...

Which statement? That it's like ninja posting? The part of my sig that quotes Vaniver claiming I'm correct? My clever but cynical corruption of Uncle Ben's good advice?

Akula

Postby Akula » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:08 am UTC

I put a lot of time into playing Madden, so I must be a stupid jock because I like football.

I forgot an interest in sports makes you stupid and is mutually exclusive to any and all geek culture.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:10 am UTC

Because a person likes one thing a lot, they CAN NOT like ANYTHING ELSE in the same field / category.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:14 am UTC

Like retarded rivalries between fandoms (Star Trek vs. Star Wars) and such?

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:35 am UTC

One of my friends hates Harry Potter so much no other fantasy could possibly be worse than "okay", and he hasn't even read the books.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:01 am UTC

That's just...reverse fanboyism. :/ I don't have any mutually exclusive interests. Seriously! I don't think any fandom is less legit than any other, and I don't judge a movie or piece of art until I've seen/heard/read it.

I do admit I get a bit elitist about music (For instance, I hold the opinion that some bands were just BETTER at certain times in their career, specifically Metallica and The Misfits), but I don't DISLIKE someone if I don't like the music they do.

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:16 am UTC

Oh, I hate him for it, even though I'm not of the opinion Harry Potter is God's gift to literature either (it's okay).

Bands being better at some points in their career is just normal. I too think Metallica was better at some point (before) than at some other point (now), and Kaizers Orchestra just gets better for every album they release.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:26 am UTC

Misconception: That I *enjoy* helping people with their homework.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:41 am UTC

Upsilon wrote:Misconception: That I *enjoy* helping people with their homework.

Addendum to your misconception: That I enjoy helping people with their homework when it is evident they have put no effort into it before asking for your help.

Misconception: That because I am a guy I must at all times be interested in girls. Why can't people accept that I am not interested in dating (and am not gay, since every time I say that people ask)? *sighs* :|

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:51 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Crap is not a genre.

That is what I am talking about.

Just because I said I liked the type of music you don't like doesn't mean I listen to that kind of music all the time.

DX

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Crap is not a genre.

That is what I am talking about.

Just because I said I liked the type of music you don't like doesn't mean I listen to that kind of music all the time.

Misconception: TMT has any idea what type of music you listen to (you didn't actually specify) and he isn't just giving you a hard time.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Misconception: TMT is fallible. If he ever appears to be wrong, he is simply right before everyone else has come to accept his worldview as true.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Misconception: That because I am a guy I must at all times be interested in girls. Why can't people accept that I am not interested in dating (and am not gay, since every time I say that people ask)? *sighs* :|

Yes! This describes my life exactly. I have better things to do than waste my time in short-term petty relationships.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Misconception - if I make a Scrubs reference out of nowhere, everyone will understand and no one will comment on it as if it's an actual misconception.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:
Xeio wrote:Misconception: That because I am a guy I must at all times be interested in girls. Why can't people accept that I am not interested in dating (and am not gay, since every time I say that people ask)? *sighs* :|
Yes! This describes my life exactly. I have better things to do than waste my time in short-term petty relationships.
Misconception: I don't want to date anyone. I really, really need someone to hug...

SecondTalon wrote:Misconception - if I make a Scrubs reference out of nowhere, everyone will understand and no one will comment on it as if it's an actual misconception.
A surprisingly small proportion of those that live near me watch Scrubs, apparently... fortunately, I have found two or three people that it's safe to shout 'FLOATING HEAD DOCTOR!' in front of.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

bavardage

Postby bavardage » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:

Addendum to your misconception: That I enjoy helping people with their homework when it is evident they have put no effort into it before asking for your help.

Misconception: That because I am a guy I must at all times be interested in girls. Why can't people accept that I am not interested in dating (and am not gay, since every time I say that people ask)? *sighs* :|

There's this one guy I have on my msn list from school (really not sure why I haven't purged him by now) and the last two times he spoke to me, the latter he was telling my that I was gay as I didn't have a 'misses' and didn't openly 'fancy' anyone, and the previous he told me to do his coursework, which I refused, so he then proceeded to threaten to flush my head down the toilet. He is 16.

Gah
'It can't be software incompatibility - the Trodden Spiral was designed for concentric rings, idiot ...'

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

bavardage wrote:There's this one guy I have on my msn list from school (really not sure why I haven't purged him by now) and the last two times he spoke to me, the latter he was telling my that I was gay as I didn't have a 'misses' and didn't openly 'fancy' anyone, and the previous he told me to do his coursework, which I refused, so he then proceeded to threaten to flush my head down the toilet. He is 16.

Gah
And they can work live messenger*? Wow. You have some smart neds round your area.

*I assume they're not using a more interesting client that live messenger.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Hurduser

Postby Hurduser » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:33 am UTC

"[Evolution|Astronomy|Anything debunking you latest woo] is just a theory!" - You fucktards have no clue what a theory IS, ffs!

"Science-fiction is a lot like fantasy!" - No, it is not and tehre are sci-fi-fans, who HATE fantasy with passion.

Some other annoying misconceptions:

That my life would revolve entirely around worshipping Linux. Or that I am incapable to do more with the computer than turn it on and off because I am female.

That anyone with two X-chromosones is not able to understand technical equipment.

That OpenSource is only something for geeks, nerds and communists.
Frag mal nach im IRC
'zum Kotzen' das heisst dort XP.
Win2k, nur so zum staunen,
hat mehr Bugs als nur zweitausend.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Hurduser wrote:That OpenSource is only something for geeks, nerds and communists.

Actually, I think that one is true. Damn Ubuntu commies.

Misconception: That because I don't often go out with friends or to parties etc, that I'm somehow not having fun, and that anything I do alone is somehow not as worthwhile. Or that because of this I must be completely antisocial. (I'm very friendly and I'm well-liked at school, I just like a lot of alone time.)
Last edited by Rippy on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Hurduser wrote:""Science-fiction is a lot like fantasy!" - No, it is not and tehre are sci-fi-fans, who HATE fantasy with passion.

Sci-fi actually is a lot like fantasy, in the same way that Protestants are a lot like Catholics. To an outsider, the differences look small and unimportant. To insiders, the differences are clear. To a certain percentage of insiders, the differences are vast, and reason enough to tar and feather the other side. Look at the vi vs. emacs people, or this distro against that distro, or the Star Wars/Star Trek rivalry for further examples.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:
Hurduser wrote:""Science-fiction is a lot like fantasy!" - No, it is not and tehre are sci-fi-fans, who HATE fantasy with passion.

Sci-fi actually is a lot like fantasy, in the same way that Protestants are a lot like Catholics. To an outsider, the differences look small and unimportant. To insiders, the differences are clear. To a certain percentage of insiders, the differences are vast, and reason enough to tar and feather the other side. Look at the vi vs. emacs people, or this distro against that distro, or the Star Wars/Star Trek rivalry for further examples.

Sci-fi is basically fantasy, except it's based on science and plausibility. Fantasy is whatever acid trip the author can come up with. Don't mean that in a bad way.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks there should be two Sci-fi genres? Because there's two interpretations. One is that it involves futuristic things like hover cars and robots, the other is that it's based on extrapolated science. You can have a book about robots that take over japan with their mind control lasers, and a book about humans inhabiting a gas torus (Larry Niven's The Integral Trees, and they both get called Sci-fi.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:56 am UTC

.... there's Hard Science Fiction and Soft Science Fiction. The only real way to know the difference is to read it. That, or to check the sales... Hard Sci-Fi usually sells far worse than Soft Sci-Fi..

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:16 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:Popular Misconception I Hate: People who don't speak well are stupid. Language is difficult for people with communication disorders, Deafness/Hard of Hearing, and have English as a second language. Why do people assume that because it's hard for someone to communicate in speech, that they're dumb? People often write very differently than they speak, myself included. >_>

Quite Fucking True. Thank you for speaking my sentiment for me. The highlighted portions are particularly relevant. Most annoying of all: This persists even after you prove otherwise.

Concerning the clitoris: High Five! Or whatever you older folks are doing these days. I was concerned that I was alone in knowing this. However, Ian is also right. A surprisingly large portion of people know this. Lamest of all: I know this, yet still can't use it.

Moving on to other Misconceptions:

Misconception: Neurotic breakdowns are a common occurrence, especially amongst those diagnosed with neurotic-style disorders.

Misconception: Anarchy is bad.
-No, it isn't. Radical, constantly-demonized anarchy certainly is bad. Anarchy as most rational people imagine it is quite different.

I'm done for now.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:55 am UTC

Misconception - Anarchy is good.
Bigger Misconception - Deep down, people are good.

sunkistbabe1

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:56 am UTC

I got that in jr high school. Math was super easy for me and I often helped my friends during and after class with their work. I finally told one girl that it was about time she learned the material, since I was going over and over the same thing with her. Well, I guess that didn't go over well. We didn't shut up for a week how I was too good for my friends... she eventually got distracted by something shiny and dropped it.
- Sunkist -

Return to “General”