REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

seladore

Re: REALLY Annoying Misconceptions

Postby seladore » Mon May 05, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Yeah, fair point.

tommclaughlan

Postby tommclaughlan » Mon May 05, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

What I hate is, when I tell people that I study Physics and Astronomy, a lot of people immediately say, "So what, you want to be an Astronaut?"

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon May 05, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

tommclaughlan wrote:What I hate is, when I tell people that I study Physics and Astronomy, a lot of people immediately say, "So what, you want to be an Astronaut?"

Don't you say yes?

I used to get fed up with the "Whoa" *raises eyebrows and backs away slightly* reaction, so I told people (well, girls.) that I was an engineer. Then I decided to take advantage of their awe instead and just said "yes" to pretty much all their questions.

"Can you do rocket science?"
"Yep."
"So could you go into space if you wanted?"
"Yep."
"So you could be an astronaut?"
"Haven't you got this yet? I'm a goddamn genius. Yes."

Then they would usually leave.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon May 05, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
tommclaughlan wrote:What I hate is, when I tell people that I study Physics and Astronomy, a lot of people immediately say, "So what, you want to be an Astronaut?"

Don't you say yes?

I used to get fed up with the "Whoa" *raises eyebrows and backs away slightly* reaction, so I told people (well, girls.) that I was an engineer. Then I decided to take advantage of their awe instead and just said "yes" to pretty much all their questions.

"Can you do rocket science?"
"Yep."
"So could you go into space if you wanted?"
"Yep."
"So you could be an astronaut?"
"Haven't you got this yet? I'm a goddamn genius. Yes."

Then they would usually leave.

"Not only that, but I could put you into space. You'd be mostly intact until re-entry, too."
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue May 06, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

"Babe, you can ride my rocket"

is the correct response.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue May 06, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Misconception: Because I'm a guy, my hair is gross.
I just so happen to keep my hair cleaner and care for it more than most females I know, and more than nearly all, if not all, the males I know. I got a message in my Facebook Honesty Box the other day (my question was "What do you think of my hair?"): "It suits you, and you keep it pretty clean for a guy."
Misconception: Because I'm a guy, I do not care about my hair and am not in the least bit emotionally attached to it.
I happen to like my hair a fair bit, thank you very much. When guys tell me to cut my hair it's annoying, but when chicks tell me to cut my hair, it pisses me off. The difference is that I can't punch the chicks. What really pisses me off is this conversation, which I have had oh so many times with various ignorant females:
"Cut your hair."
"No."
"Why not?"
"Why don't you cut your hair?"
"Well I'm a girl!"
Misconception: I will cut my hair if you tell me to, even though I haven't done it in response to the hundred other people who have told me to do so, nor have I done so in response to the other hundred times you told me to.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Wed May 07, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Fat Tony wrote:Misconception: I will cut my hair if you tell me to.

But you have gorgeous hair, why would you want to cut it!?

Of course, if I had my way there would be a universal law stating that "Angell gets to touch all gorgeous hair whenever she wants".

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Wed May 07, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:

I wouldn't. The misconception is that I would.
GhostWolfe wrote:

Of course, if I had my way there would be a universal law stating that "Angell gets to touch all gorgeous hair whenever she wants".

I'm cool with people touching my hair if I know them and like them/don't think they're creepy. If some random person starts fondeling my hair (without asking, of course), that's not cool. An example would be when I was in DC on a field trip last year. These two chicks walking past me and my friend, said hi, asked for hugs, and then asked if they could touch our hair. We said yes, and I wasn't bothered by that exchange because, even though I didn't know them, they asked permission first.
Of course, it didn't hurt that afterwards they said they liked mine better =D

I'm going to get it cut (for the first time in two years [just trimmed, of course {I'm waiting until next week so that I can have the picture of me with two years of growth on my driver's permit}]) sometime soon.
I'll send some to you if it makes you happy =D

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu May 08, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Fat Tony wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:
I wouldn't. The misconception is that I would.
Sorry, my point was that I can't understand why anyone would want to ask you to cut your gorgeous hair. Do they not appreciate how nice it is?

Fat Tony wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:Of course, if I had my way there would be a universal law stating that "Angell gets to touch all gorgeous hair whenever she wants".
I'm cool with people touching my hair if I know them and like them/don't think they're creepy. *snip* I'm going to get it cut sometime soon. I'll send some to you if it makes you happy =D
Actually, it would :oops: Does that make me creepy?

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Thu May 08, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
Fat Tony wrote:
GhostWolfe wrote:Of course, if I had my way there would be a universal law stating that "Angell gets to touch all gorgeous hair whenever she wants".
I'm cool with people touching my hair if I know them and like them/don't think they're creepy. *snip* I'm going to get it cut sometime soon. I'll send some to you if it makes you happy =D
Actually, it would :oops: Does that make me creepy?

Hm...I don't think so, but I would kind of like to know where Brisbane is.
Hey, your one-year foraversarry's this Sunday! That can be your present =D
It just so happens that that's also my birthday.
We should set up a site like eBay, but instead of auctioning off random crap, you can trade hair =D

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu May 08, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Misconception: Your grade is an accurate reflection of how well you understand the material.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Fri May 09, 2008 1:02 am UTC

I gave my hair to a girl once, when I shaved my head. She didn't ask for it. Does that make me creepy? :D
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

masher

Postby masher » Fri May 09, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Misconception: Your grade is an accurate reflection of how well you understand the material.

but, depending on the assessment, it is quite correlated.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri May 09, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Dusty Chalk wrote:I gave my hair to a girl once, when I shaved my head. She didn't ask for it. Does that make me creepy? :D

Misconception: Exchanging locks of hair is creepy. :D

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Fri May 09, 2008 1:32 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
Dusty Chalk wrote:I gave my hair to a girl once, when I shaved my head. She didn't ask for it. Does that make me creepy? :D

Misconception: Exchanging locks of hair is creepy. :D

I like that one =D
Misconception: If two of my eight teachers say I didn't turn in all my homework, it means that I don't do any at all.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri May 09, 2008 5:06 am UTC

I have a friend with long hair who gets this all the time. Another thing I've noticed is that no one seems to know what a mullet is, because his bangs are almost as long as the rest of it and he gets referred to as "that guy with the mullet" all the time. Mullets are apparently any long hair on guys to people in my school.

Another thing he gets is everyone seems to assume he does a ton of weed. Even a couple teachers made bizarre comments about drug use. The funny thing is that he's intensely against it, so our comp sci teacher calls him a pothead and we're just like "WTF?"
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Fri May 09, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

masher wrote:
Quixotess wrote:Misconception: Your grade is an accurate reflection of how well you understand the material.

Eh, it really depends. For instance, when I took AP Chem, I got a C in the class, but a 5 on the AP and a 790 on the SAT II. When I took AP Physics, I got an A in the class and a 3 on the AP.

Sometimes assignments are either really hard/don't have much to do with the material/are such wastes of time that even thinking about them makes a little bit of your soul die.
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

tehmikey

Postby tehmikey » Fri May 09, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

Wanderingcowboy wrote:
masher wrote:

Eh, it really depends. For instance, when I took AP Chem, I got a C in the class, but a 5 on the AP and a 790 on the SAT II. When I took AP Physics, I got an A in the class and a 3 on the AP.

Sometimes assignments are either really hard/don't have much to do with the material/are such wastes of time that even thinking about them makes a little bit of your soul die.

I experience the same thing.

Highschool example:
For me, it came down to if I did my homework or not. AP Calculus: 20% HW, 20% Quiz, 60% Test. My grades typically looked like 5/20, 15/20, 55/60. I got a 5 on that AP test.

University example:
I got a B after the curve in Advanced Digital Circuit Design which is basically an indepth class about verilog. Three fourths of the tests were over obscure details that do not need to be memorized since they can easily be searched on google in the real world. The last quarter of the tests were rather complex timing problems or coding questions where you were graded on efficiency. It was typical that I would be one of 1-2 students to miss the easiest of questions; however, I was also one of the two students to get the timing questions 100% correct O_o. My lab average was over 100 and homework hovered in the mid 80s (google was required).

Misconception: Homework that qualifies as busy work helps students understand the material.
Misconception: Memorization of obscure facts pertaining to a language are more important than the knowledge of how to apply the language in the real world.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Fri May 09, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

Vandole wrote:
I have a friend with long hair who gets this all the time. Another thing I've noticed is that no one seems to know what a mullet is, because his bangs are almost as long as the rest of it and he gets referred to as "that guy with the mullet" all the time. Mullets are apparently any long hair on guys to people in my school.

Another thing he gets is everyone seems to assume he does a ton of weed. Even a couple teachers made bizarre comments about drug use. The funny thing is that he's intensely against it, so our comp sci teacher calls him a pothead and we're just like "WTF?"

Well, I also play guitar, so that doesn't help, but I don't really care about that; it's telling me to cut my hair that pisses me off.
My health teacher thinks I'm a heroin addict, but hey, at least he knows I don't drink =D

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sat May 10, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Fat Tony wrote:
Vandole wrote:

Well, I also play guitar, so that doesn't help, but I don't really care about that; it's telling me to cut my hair that pisses me off.
My health teacher thinks I'm a heroin addict, but hey, at least he knows I don't drink =D

Well... for some us, the only time I know to get a haircut is when a girl tells me to. This is also true for buying new/fashionable clothes. And cleaning my room. ...sometimes eating... or not eating certain things depending on the circumstance.
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Sat May 10, 2008 6:36 am UTC

tehmikey wrote:Misconception: Homework that qualifies as busy work helps students understand the material.

Misconception: Homework that qualifies as busy work never helps students understand the material.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat May 10, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

It doesn't. Or it wouldn't be busywork. What might be busywork to YOU might help someone ELSE understand the material, but mindless repetition is not going to help you understand anything. It might help you memorize something, but memorization is not understanding.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sat May 10, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

antonfire wrote:
tehmikey wrote:Misconception: Homework that qualifies as busy work helps students understand the material.

Misconception: Homework that qualifies as busy work never helps students understand the material.

Misconception: Homework that qualifies as busy work is.

The homework is a lie!

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat May 10, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

Misconception: You must apologize each and every time that you brush against someone on a public bus.

Seriously, folks, it's a crowded moving vehicle. You sliding past my sleeve or clipping the edge of my shoe will not be taken as some grand offence.

aeki

Postby aeki » Sat May 10, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:Misconception: You must apologize each and every time that you brush against someone on a public bus.

Seriously, folks, it's a crowded moving vehicle. You sliding past my sleeve or clipping the edge of my shoe will not be taken as some grand offence.

Yeah, but if you don't apologize after doing so you give the impression that you don't care about knocking into other people and that might be taken as a tiny offense. Apologizing isn't strictly necessary, but it's like social grease to keep people that are squished close enough to step on each other from getting irritated with each other.

Ribbon

Postby Ribbon » Sat May 10, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Misconception: Just because I am not smiling and chattering away at that exact moment, I am unhappy and something is obviously wrong.
Maybe I like to stare blankly into space?
Misconception: Because I don't think guys watching porn is weird, I automatically want to hear about it.
Really, I don't.
Ah, and my personal favorite...
Misconception: Because I am not taking notes and occasionally blow off my homework, I do not care about my grades or learning the material.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sat May 10, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Ribbon wrote:Misconception: Because I am not taking notes and occasionally blow off my homework, I do not care about my grades or learning the material.

Tru dat.

Nebuduck

Postby Nebuduck » Sat May 10, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:Misconception: You must apologize each and every time that you brush against someone on a public bus.

In Britland we apologise for anything and everything, whether it's our fault or not. I've said "Sorry" to people for someone else brushing past them before. Honestly.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat May 10, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:

In Britland we apologise for anything and everything, whether it's our fault or not. I've said "Sorry" to people for someone else brushing past them before. Honestly.

Guess we inherited that from you then.

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Sat May 10, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Nebuduck wrote:

In Soviet Russia, anything and everything apologizes for you!

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Sat May 10, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:It doesn't. Or it wouldn't be busywork. What might be busywork to YOU might help someone ELSE understand the material, but mindless repetition is not going to help you understand anything. It might help you memorize something, but memorization is not understanding.
In that case, Misconception: everything you think is busywork actually is.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Sat May 10, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

antonfire wrote:In that case, Misconception: everything you think is busywork actually is.

That's sometimes right. Remember, kids: If it seems pointless to you, and you're not a physics major, it's probably pointless. If it seems pointless to you, and you are a physics major, memorize it now or it'll bite you in the ass.

This doesn't always apply only to math, either. :P

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 10, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

To be honest, busywork is probably good practice for when you are an adult.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

Misconception: Dutch is the same as German.
You would be suprised by how many movies do this wrong. (example: Goldmember)
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

johnie104 wrote:Misconception: Dutch is the same as German.
You would be suprised by how many movies do this wrong. (example: Goldmember)

German for German is Deutsch, which I think confuses most people.
多么现在棕色母牛?

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:21 am UTC

DreadArchon wrote:
antonfire wrote:In that case, Misconception: everything you think is busywork actually is.

That's sometimes right. Remember, kids: If it seems pointless to you, and you're not a physics major, it's probably pointless. If it seems pointless to you, and you are a physics major, memorize it now or it'll bite you in the ass.

This doesn't always apply only to math, either. :P

Completely true :(

Also, I aced all of calc through memorization, I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. I learned that when I started doing actual research and needed to come up with equations to fit curves. :oops:
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

0xDEADBEEF

Postby 0xDEADBEEF » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:38 am UTC

"NIC Card"
"PIN Number"

I know there are more like that, but those two in particular bother me.

People calling an octothorpe a "pound sign."
Whoever thought that Firefox's spelling dictionary didn't need the word "octothorpe."

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 am UTC

0xDEADBEEF wrote:"NIC Card"
"PIN Number"

I know there are more like that, but those two in particular bother me.

People calling an octothorpe a "pound sign."
Whoever thought that Firefox's spelling dictionary didn't need the word "octothorpe."

Thinking your pet peeves count as other people's misconceptions just because they are annoying to you.

That being said, I have often be known to stand up in defense of the under appreciated "ATM machine" (how could you forget this one, btw?) and other seemingly redundant terms like it. I don't really feel like trying to articulate the position right now (I really need to figure out how to explain this one day) but I believe there is a reason why people do this and why it "sounds better" beyond simple ignorance of what the acronym stands for.

What is an annoying misconception is when people pounce on me to try and correct what they believe to be one of these redundant acronyms but they are actually wrong because they don't know what the acronym actually stands for. I used to have a good example of this, but I forget.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:38 am UTC

0xDEADBEEF wrote:People calling an octothorpe a "pound sign."

Since # began life as a ligature for lb (via ℔), I don't think this one's that bad. Though, I do get annoyed by "What the hell is a hash key, you mean 'pound', right?"... the fact is, it really doesn't have a standard common name... Unicode calls it "NUMBER SIGN", but also says it can be called "pound sign, hash, crosshatch, octothorpe". Different people call it different things.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

sparkyb wrote:"ATM machine"

Whenever I hear someone say that I assume they are talking about one of those "ass to mouth machines." Stupid stuff amuses me.

Return to “General”