INTRODUCTIONS THREAD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

hey simen, welcome!
people called simen have a good reputation with me. especially since i only know of one (simen hestnaes) and i'm seeing him and his band play at the end of the month (oh yeah).
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

I should have probably posted my first post here... oh well.
A nerd. 14. Male. Massachusetts. Me. Yeah.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:
hermaj wrote:A-levels?

Help me out, that's the British leaver's exams or something, right? (I think I mentioned this when I began on these forums - my knowledge of the British education system is limited to what I've read in Harry Potter.)

A-levels would be the equivilant of NEWTs (I think thats what they are in harry potter...)

Basically they are the exams you take aged 17-18 before you head off to uni or work!
So that's like the SAT/ACT, I guess? Only that's not mandatory, you only take one (or both) if you're heading off to uni, generally speaking. And they're scored really strangely.
My hobby > yours. (yes, that is me)
singing about potatoes wrote:Theoretical-boobs and I both have dinghy access.
Fluff wrote:That sounds a bit kinky. :o

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

I refuse to ask questions about British examinations/clothing sizes. It makes my head hurt a great deal.

But doesn't stop me from coveting a flat in London when I'm older and a famous, best-selling author.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

maple

Postby maple » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

Ren wrote:But doesn't stop me from coveting a flat in London when I'm older and a famous, best-selling author.

I lived in London for a while just after I graduated from university. It's hideous! I've not met a group of ruder, more self-involved people in the whole wide world; yuck. Moving out of there to Scotland was one of the best decisions ever!

Little kids on the tube listening to loud tinny R'n'B on their crappy phone speakers FTL!

:: Edited for basic spelling!
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!"

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

Well, I don't want to live there for the PEOPLE, yeesh. Who does that?
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:20 am UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:So that's like the SAT/ACT, I guess? Only that's not mandatory, you only take one (or both) if you're heading off to uni, generally speaking. And they're scored really strangely.

SATs were WAY easy before the changes. Now that you have to write essays I'm not sure how it'll be.

Can anyone who's taken them within the last year offer any input?
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:29 am UTC

They completely screwed with the SATs. Luckily I graduated before they made the changes.

Ah none of that stuff helps you with important things, like dragon slaying... which I have to get back to.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Fluff » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:47 am UTC

maple wrote:I lived in London for a while just after I graduated from university. It's hideous! I've not met a group of ruder, more self-involved people in the whole wide world; yuck. Moving out of there to Scotland was one of the best decisions ever!

Little kids on the tube listening to loud tinny R'n'B on their crappy phone speakers FTL!

:: Edited for basic spelling!

The North is just better in general. It's grim, but worth it. Cheaper and friendlier all round.

Manchester is the best city in the world. (I may be biased saying that) :P

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:52 am UTC

Owijad wrote:
singing about potatoes wrote:So that's like the SAT/ACT, I guess? Only that's not mandatory, you only take one (or both) if you're heading off to uni, generally speaking. And they're scored really strangely.

SATs were WAY easy before the changes. Now that you have to write essays I'm not sure how it'll be.

Can anyone who's taken them within the last year offer any input?
I took them a month and a half ago. Yes, I know I'm too young; early college. It was VERY easy; I'm 2 years too young and I got 2190 (the maximum possible is 2400, 2190 means 96th percentile of the people 2 years older than me). But I'm not really a good example...I'm a REALLY good test-taker when compared with my actual intelligence.

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:05 am UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:I took them a month and a half ago. Yes, I know I'm too young; early college. It was VERY easy; I'm 2 years too young and I got 2190 (the maximum possible is 2400, 2190 means 96th percentile of the people 2 years older than me). But I'm not really a good example...I'm a REALLY good test-taker when compared with my actual intelligence.

So still pretty easy? Nice.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:09 am UTC

Owijad wrote:
singing about potatoes wrote:I took them a month and a half ago. Yes, I know I'm too young; early college. It was VERY easy; I'm 2 years too young and I got 2190 (the maximum possible is 2400, 2190 means 96th percentile of the people 2 years older than me). But I'm not really a good example...I'm a REALLY good test-taker when compared with my actual intelligence.

Cake. But it's like 6 hours long now; more a test of endurance than anything else. But I foiled the system! I met a REALLY cute girl at the test and flirted with her during our five-minute breaks (and we continued less vocally while waiting for the other testers to finish), so I didn't get bored/tired.

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:12 am UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:
Owijad wrote:
Cake. But it's like 6 hours long now; more a test of endurance than anything else. But I foiled the system! I met a REALLY cute girl at the test and flirted with her during our five-minute breaks (and we continued less vocally while waiting for the other testers to finish), so I didn't get bored/tired.

Cheater! >.<

maple

Postby maple » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:11 am UTC

Fluff wrote:The North is just better in general. It's grim, but worth it. Cheaper and friendlier all round.

Manchester is the best city in the world. (I may be biased saying that) :P

Too right! Although given that I went to uni in Durham and now I'm living in Aberdeen, I'll challenge your definition of "north"! :lol:

Manchester is nice -- Boddingtons sucks, though!!

ihaveduff

Postby ihaveduff » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:24 am UTC

Well i'm new here.. guess i should make the introductions then scurry back to my dark little corner...

I'm James, 20, from Sydney Australia... Used to be from the south of London, and i reckon Boddingtons is crap compared to Youngs beer

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:28 am UTC

Oh, man, weird question but do you get all the ladies over here? So many British men are snatched up by Australian women it is unbelievable.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

maple wrote:The North is just better in general. It's grim, but worth it. Cheaper and friendlier all round.

See I'm a country bumpkin from the south west, born and bred. So technically nearly everywhere is "up north" to me...I consider the north fine once you get passed the midlands... :roll:
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

I started off from the South (Milton Keynes), spent some time around Berkshire before moving to Scotland for a few years and then settling down here in Blackpool. I'd have to say that everywhere except Berkshire was nice, although people down South were a bit less fun.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

How can you even HAVE regional stereotypes in England? It's like the size of my backyard. :P

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:How can you even HAVE regional stereotypes in England? It's like the size of my backyard. :P

We have stereotypes for towns as well...thats just how great we are ;)

But wo, I've heard you can afford to have much more land in america but DUDE!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:53 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:
singing about potatoes wrote:How can you even HAVE regional stereotypes in England? It's like the size of my backyard. :P

We have stereotypes for towns as well...thats just how great we are ;)

But wo, I've heard you can afford to have much more land in america but DUDE!
I'm kidding, my backyard is actually pretty small. A hell of a lot less than an acre, I live in a suburban area. But I have several farmer friends who own 250+ acres.

And wow, that's an entirely different scale of stereotypes than we have. I think the only city in the U.S. with a reputation drastically different than that of its region is Austin, Texas (it doesn't blow chunks like the rest of the state, apparently).

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

Hey, we've got regional steereotypes here just across the damn state. People in Pittsburgh seem to hate those of us in Philadelphia... not too sure why.

maple

Postby maple » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

Despite the relatively small size, have regional stereotypes because we've been around for ages and have history! :wink:

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

Swordfish wrote:

Hey, we've got regional steereotypes here just across the damn state. People in Pittsburgh seem to hate those of us in Philadelphia... not too sure why.
How does one hate the city of brotherly love? Does NOT make sense.

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

There's a girl from Germany at my school and she says that certain areas she doesn't even consider "real germany"...I think in Holland the dialect is hugely different between north and south...

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:There's a girl from Germany at my school and she says that certain areas she doesn't even consider "real germany"...I think in Holland the dialect is hugely different between north and south...
That's not unseen here...I have been told that I don't live in "real Los Angeles".

simen

Postby simen » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:20 pm UTC

Where I come from, we stereotype people who come from the neighboring town. For that matter, we stereotype people who come from the tiny village 18 km outside of town.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

simen wrote:Where I come from, we stereotype people who come from the neighboring town. For that matter, we stereotype people who come from the tiny village 18 km outside of town.

You do that TOO? Fancy that! (Goddamn rednecks...)

We pretty much judge everyone here in Waterloo. The neighbouring cities are "boring" and "dirty" respectively.

neneko

Postby neneko » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:00 pm UTC

Hey everyone!

Long time lurker finally joining his favourite forum to read. I'm 19 years old and from The Netherlands. Studying Computer Science as major, and taking on Japanese as minor next year.

Already "introduced" myself in the serious business forum. Not really a person for small talk though ^_^;.

I'll try to tackle some discussions :P and maybe even make a less serious post once in a while in general discussion.

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

neneko wrote:Hey everyone!

Long time lurker finally joining his favourite forum to read. I'm 19 years old and from The Netherlands. Studying Computer Science as major, and taking on Japanese as minor next year.

Already "introduced" myself in the serious business forum. Not really a person for small talk though ^_^;.

I'll try to tackle some discussions :P and maybe even make a less serious post once in a while in general discussion.
I find your penchant for being serious disturbing, but welcome to the forums, oh one-who-is-only-slightly-newer-than-me!

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

simen wrote:Where I come from, we stereotype people who come from the neighboring town. For that matter, we stereotype people who come from the tiny village 18 km outside of town.

There is a place nearby that is a pit of squalor and toxic refuse that we have harsh stereotypes of people from there...

... It's called New Jersey.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:I think the only city in the U.S. with a reputation drastically different than that of its region is Austin, Texas (it doesn't blow chunks like the rest of the state, apparently).

This is correct. :D
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:29 am UTC

Ren wrote:

We pretty much judge everyone here in Waterloo. The neighbouring cities are "boring" and "dirty" respectively.

Haha, which is which? Cambridge is pretty boring, but then again Preston/Hespeler are pretty dirty (North Galt ftw).

Anyway ya, where I'm from (and Ren's lives) There are these 3 cities (Waterloo/Kitchener/Cambridge) that are all pretty much one city (Waterloo/Kitchener blur together and a major highway is the only thing that really seperates Cambridge). I give it less than a decade before they almagamate (sp?). Anyway about 100 years ago 3 towns (Galt/Preston/Hespeler) almagamated (sp?) to form Cambridge. So not only do we have stereotypes about towns that are right there we in Cambridge also don't get along too well with each other! Galt's usually the nicer area, Preston is where most of the crack/crime is (also the only place in town where police ever seem to be). Hespeler is kinda off on the side and I didn't spend much time there as a youth. The only draw it has is in one cemetary that wayyy at the back has this tiny 8"x8" tombstone (read: you have to bend down really close to read, especially in the black of night) that just reads "REVENGE WILL BE MINE". Might not seem scary reading it on the fora but when you're 16 and drunk/high going to see this thing for the first time and something rustling in that bush behind you and you're in a freaking cemetary... well then.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:47 am UTC

Gordon wrote:
Ren wrote:

Haha, which is which? Cambridge is pretty boring, but then again Preston/Hespeler are pretty dirty (North Galt ftw).

Anyway ya, where I'm from (and Ren's lives) There are these 3 cities (Waterloo/Kitchener/Cambridge) that are all pretty much one city (Waterloo/Kitchener blur together and a major highway is the only thing that really seperates Cambridge). I give it less than a decade before they almagamate (sp?). Anyway about 100 years ago 3 towns (Galt/Preston/Hespeler) almagamated (sp?) to form Cambridge. So not only do we have stereotypes about towns that are right there we in Cambridge also don't get along too well with each other! Galt's usually the nicer area, Preston is where most of the crack/crime is (also the only place in town where police ever seem to be). Hespeler is kinda off on the side and I didn't spend much time there as a youth. The only draw it has is in one cemetary that wayyy at the back has this tiny 8"x8" tombstone (read: you have to bend down really close to read, especially in the black of night) that just reads "REVENGE WILL BE MINE". Might not seem scary reading it on the fora but when you're 16 and drunk/high going to see this thing for the first time and something rustling in that bush behind you and you're in a freaking cemetary... well then.

Haha, what a great summary of the tricities. (Does that make Cambridge a tricity within the tricities? I've always wondered.)

Hespeler's downtown is pretty sketchy, and you're right Preston is Dirty with a capital D. I lived in Galt for my teenaged years, but it's boring. So yes, Cambridge is 'boring' and Kitchener is 'dirty.' We've done counts on the bus between Waterloo and this mall in Kitchener, and 5 out of every 6 people who board the bus after 8:00 in Kitchener look like they came from dark raves and creepy cult activities.

Yay, Gordon! I didn't clue in that you were from KW!

SolarStoned

Hi to all

Postby SolarStoned » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:59 am UTC

Yea...just thought i'd say hi and thank you all for a great comic. I'll be floating around here from time to time so get used to it :wink:

:idea: it's working...... :lol:

singing about potatoes

Re: Hi to all

Postby singing about potatoes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:01 am UTC

SolarStoned wrote:Yea...just thought i'd say hi and thank you all for a great comic. I'll be floating around here from time to time so get used to it :wink:

:idea: it's working...... :lol:
Was I right about which button you were klicking?

SolarStoned

Postby SolarStoned » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:03 am UTC

:wink: bang on

Owijad

Postby Owijad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Okay, anyone see Jeanette's last post? Time to update my sig...

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:08 am UTC

Owijad wrote:Okay, anyone see Jeanette's last post? Time to update my sig...
I saw it, thought about PMing him, and decided I didn't want to get banned.

Solarstoned: Mad props to me!

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:36 am UTC

Hey. I'm Kobra, nice to meet you.

*crickets*

I said nice to meet you! *headdesk*
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

Return to “General”