INTRODUCTIONS THREAD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:29 am UTC

Get on top of a building and look out into a crowd. The fedora in the middle of all the shaved heads is your man!

Edit: In other news, I can't help but notice I seem to have become a moderator. Has there been some slip in the space/time continuum? Or user permissions. I guess that would make more sense.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:55 am UTC

Saladin wrote:Edit: In other news, I can't help but notice I seem to have become a moderator. Has there been some slip in the space/time continuum? Or user permissions. I guess that would make more sense.

Nope, explore your new privlages a bit, you'll find explanations to all your queries ... or you won't. They are there though.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:02 am UTC

I see. So it's like that then.

Time to do something dazastardly*.

Like, err, browse the moderator panel.

*This word does not actually exist. Yet.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:06 am UTC

Saladin wrote:I see. So it's like that then.

Time to do something dazastardly*.

Like, err, browse the moderator panel.

*This word does not actually exist. Yet.

So horrible, you might have to read the explanation provided. :-P

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:10 am UTC

The one at the top of the mod panel? That pimpsqueak of a sentence that aspires to one day be able to even hope being thought of, in the loosest possible sense, as an explanation? That one?

'Cause if so, y'know, 'k. Actually, I checked and discovered it was, in fact, two sentences. That's something then.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:16 am UTC

Saladin wrote:The one at the top of the mod panel? That pimpsqueak of a sentence that aspires to one day be able to even hope being thought of, in the loosest possible sense, as an explanation? That one?

'Cause if so, y'know, 'k. Actually, I checked and discovered it was, in fact, two sentences. That's something then.

Well, it *is* complete.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:12 pm UTC

I was just looking for the right place to notice I'm a moderator, and I guess this is now it, since there's precedence. Although I'm going to do it based on 60s music. Ahem.

She's a mod she's a mod she's a mod, yeah yeah yeah yeah, she's a mod she's a mod...

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:13 pm UTC

Teaspoon wrote:So visitors to Christchurch should ask random street-people "Hey, do you where to find a very silly man?" and expect useful responses?

That is most excellent.

Try asking for the tall very silly man :P

Epoch

Postby Epoch » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:38 pm UTC

Verysillyman wrote:I was just looking for the right place to notice I'm a moderator, and I guess this is now it, since there's precedence. Although I'm going to do it based on 60s music. Ahem.

She's a mod she's a mod she's a mod, yeah yeah yeah yeah, she's a mod she's a mod...

sweet!

I think I'll notice that I'm a mod based on heavy metal music

MOD! MODMODMODMODMODMODMODMODMOD!!!!!*censored* M! O! D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the mind is an infinite desert in which we may wander, make piles, or dig holes.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:35 pm UTC

Epoch wrote:
Verysillyman wrote:I was just looking for the right place to notice I'm a moderator, and I guess this is now it, since there's precedence. Although I'm going to do it based on 60s music. Ahem.

sweet!

I think I'll notice that I'm a mod based on heavy metal music

MOD! MODMODMODMODMODMODMODMODMOD!!!!!*censored* M! O! D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tends to work best if you actual are one.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:13 pm UTC

I was about to say something about not being a mod, then looked and realised I was one.

ZenBearClaw

Postby ZenBearClaw » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:46 pm UTC

hmmm that seems unquiteright to me... when i was in CC I was very tall and very silly though i think you are probably more notorious than I. That and I was there long ago and we know that percieved silliness decays exponentially with some time constant Ü.

ikefalcon

Postby ikefalcon » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:05 am UTC

18/m/FL

I'm a high school senior who's crossing his fingers on getting into MIT. Does anyone who has attended MIT have any advice for me to improve my chances of getting in? I got 2250 on the SAT (800 math, 700 verbal, 750 writing) if that will help you give any advice.

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:51 pm UTC

ikefalcon wrote:I got 2250 on the SAT (800 math, 700 verbal, 750 writing) if that will help you give any advice.

I just can't get used to the new scoring system. I suppose that it will come in time, but... 2250. Makes all those old scores seem downright puny.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:29 pm UTC

Everyone seems to be a mod except me.

Which shouldn't surprise me, given that I only signed up a minute and a half ago. Hello, people! I'm Josh, i'm in London and I research markets for people. Hi! Hi!

Hi!

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:57 am UTC

Don't worry about not being a mod, it just seems common since a bunch of us just got promoted so we're all excited like a rhino on acid.

On the inside we're actually afraid of our newfound power.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:34 am UTC

Verysillyman wrote:Don't worry about not being a mod, it just seems common since a bunch of us just got promoted so we're all excited like a rhino on acid.

On the inside we're actually afraid of our newfound power.

with great power comes great responsibility. Also the inevitablee cronyism

Actually, with great power comes several small black spaceships, or one big white spaceship. I imagine that several small black spaceships can sometimes look like one big white spaceship.

Edit: I have moderator powers! Now i just have to wait 'til I'm given powers for other people's posts as well
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:05 pm UTC

I just can't get used to the new scoring system.
I can't really either. Of course, that may be because my score with the old system was 1580 and with the new system it was 2180, and so if I tell people my age I got a 1580 on the SAT they look at me funny.

18/m/MD. Currently studying physics and working as a lab assistant.

I know we have some F readers because they send me strange propositions via email!
Those aren't just the Fs ;)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:30 pm UTC

Actually, they were all me.

RAPTORATTACK!!!

me are

Postby RAPTORATTACK!!! » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:53 pm UTC

14/m/massasschewsetts/i do nothing in my spare time.
Team 246 OVERCLOCKED!

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:37 pm UTC

Well, that's gotta be the youngest so far. I'll be watching you.

*points*

gsail11

Postby gsail11 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:20 am UTC

16/M/Maine

I used to be interested in computer programming based on my math and computers interests, but I recently decided that I would drive myself crazy working on a computer all day. Also, I have strange political views that sorta clash with the entire concept of economy. Not sure where those are going to play in when/if I decide it's time to find a career.

I, too, have hopes to go to MIT. My secret plan is to get in off math, then take almost all psychology and philosophy courses, and minor in math.

Currently I work very very part time as a shelver at a local library.

airtank

Postby airtank » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:30 am UTC

19, lady, florida, college student. anyone else from round the pensacola area?

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:25 am UTC

Saladin wrote:Well, that's gotta be the youngest so far. I'll be watching you.

*points*

I'm sure sure we're meant to watch the young boys. It sounds unseemly.

I've.. I've got a fish in the oven... Perhaps ou can reach in and get it wit your supple frame...

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:26 am UTC

Hey everyone!

18, female, Australia... currently in my first year at uni doing gene science. And I think your SAT scores sound great - over here, I got 82.75 in my HSC, which doesn't sound nearly as impressive!

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:47 pm UTC

Well, screw you all, I have a -

Actually, err... I don't have a number at all...

<.<

I have a collection of letters varying between 3 different characters though! NZ education FTW!

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:35 pm UTC

I know what you mean, numbers seem so much more... impressive somehow. Does anyone know what these numbers would translate to in UK terms by the way? Just interested to know.

aran

Postby aran » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:16 pm UTC

I'm currently 20 and attending Marist College as a Computer Science major, writing minor. I'm most likely going to go to graduate school and get myself a doctorate, then make boatloads of money and be very satisfied with my life.

Teaspoon

Postby Teaspoon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:45 am UTC

I dunno, I think I like the HSC/UAI system. It's percentage-based, and it obviously means that you're a better person than 82.74999% of people who finished school the same year that you did in your state. :P

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:31 am UTC

I think I passed. I'm not sure?

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:43 am UTC

MightyMouse wrote:I know what you mean, numbers seem so much more... impressive somehow. Does anyone know what these numbers would translate to in UK terms by the way? Just interested to know.

Woah... I looked up the British Higher Education website to try and understand more about your system (100% of my prior knowledge coming from Harry Potter books :D ). I'm a little confused about it, but the best relation I can draw is as follows:

We have compulsory education up til the end of year 10 (16 years old), at the end of which every student in the state (NSW) sits their School Certificate (SC). After they achieve an SC and they're old enough, they're eligible to leave school to go learn a trade or an apprenticeship, or go to TAFE (another path for further education). Looking at this site, I'm guessing that the SC is kind of equivalent to your GSCEs?

If a student continues on at school, they continue through year 11 and 12. Year 11 goes for only three terms rather than the usual four of the school year. Year 12 work commences in term 4 and continues for a year after that, so the HSC exams are starting around now. I'm guessing that's the equivalent of your A-levels, and I don't think we have anything to match AS levels, because there's no real award for completing year 11 and not going on to year 12.

The HSC involves an exam for each subject you do. Subjects are worth a certain amount of unit points, usually 2, and then 1 point per extension. You're examined on all the units you do (usually between 10 and 14) and they take the best 10 units to scale your UAI (University Admissions Index), which is the percentage we've been flinging about. Basically the higher it is, the more options you have in terms of courses and universities, because lots of the universities operate on a cut-off system.

Below 30 you fail, I think below 50-60ish you're not doing so well and there aren't that many courses that you can get into, and the higher you get, the more options open up. A lot of that's based on how everyone the year before went, and the courses they went for. Hopefully that explains it a little!

Mat

Postby Mat » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:31 am UTC

19/M/UK/Physics student

I was lucky that they still let me do the course considering that I didn't do as well as I wanted in my N.E.W.Ts (stupid potions!)

I think I signed up a while ago but hadn't gotten around to posting anything yet. Right now I'm putting off writing about the maxwell-boltzmann distribution.. :?

hello! :)

Trav

Postby Trav » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:04 am UTC

I'm 26/M/UK/Software engineer. I'm supposed to be writing Dynamic Binary Translators, but I mostly just update my blog :) http://orionthoughts.blogspot.com/

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

What I do

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:16 pm UTC

20/m/Louisville, KY/Speed, IN at the moment (work)

I am a mech. eng. student at Speed School, U of L. Just finished up my 5th semester of Calc/Diffies last summer. It was glorious. Now I am co-op-ing at a Cement plant where I do about no math and sadly even less engineering... :(

But the 16 bucks an hour sure doesn't hurt :!:
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:25 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:
MightyMouse wrote:I know what you mean, numbers seem so much more... impressive somehow. Does anyone know what these numbers would translate to in UK terms by the way? Just interested to know.
Below 30 you fail, I think below 50-60ish you're not doing so well and there aren't that many courses that you can get into, and the higher you get, the more options open up. A lot of that's based on how everyone the year before went, and the courses they went for. Hopefully that explains it a little!
A little further clarification. Metro unis have much, much higher requirements than rural unis. (Think 75 to get into games tech here in Bathurst, compared to 95 for the equivalent course in Sydney.) And quite often there are allowances made if you are a local. Locals get a 5 point bonus here.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

Charodei

Postby Charodei » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:54 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
I just can't get used to the new scoring system.
I can't really either. Of course, that may be because my score with the old system was 1580 and with the new system it was 2180, and so if I tell people my age I got a 1580 on the SAT they look at me funny.

It used to go up to 1200, I think, then 1600, and now it's what, 2400? Sounds like a serious case of grade inflation.

Seriously, why increase the scale? It will improve score resolution, allowing for better discrimination between test-takers, but that only mattered at the highest end. There's a certain amount of fuzziness about the score anyway (it's how someone did on a particular version of the test on a particular day, not an absolute measure of a person), and some uncertainty as to what the SAT measures, other than how well one does on the SAT.

Debilis

Postby Debilis » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:40 am UTC

20/m
Currently a senior at Indiana University. I'm studying telecommunications, specifically design and production. I haven't read this entire thread, but I'm wondering if I'm the only person here getting a B.A., and not studying math or science of some sort...

Once upon a time I was a computer science major, and also an engineering major for a short time. I spent my free time programming and building robots out of legos.
I actually still work part time as a computer technician for the university, due to my background, but my studies have made a 180. I am still, however, as interested as I ever was in logic, language, puzzles, and so forth; hence my presence here.

I will be graduating in December of '07, and then I have no idea where I'm going, and I can hardly wait :)

MightyMouse

Postby MightyMouse » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:02 am UTC

Debilis wrote:20/m
Currently a senior at Indiana University. I'm studying telecommunications, specifically design and production. I haven't read this entire thread, but I'm wondering if I'm the only person here getting a B.A., and not studying math or science of some sort...

Once upon a time I was a computer science major, and also an engineering major for a short time. I spent my free time programming and building robots out of legos.
I actually still work part time as a computer technician for the university, due to my background, but my studies have made a 180. I am still, however, as interested as I ever was in logic, language, puzzles, and so forth; hence my presence here.

I will be graduating in December of '07, and then I have no idea where I'm going, and I can hardly wait :)

Actually I get a BA as well for some unknown reason, and then everyone gets an MA for free 5 years after graduating (or might be matriculating, can't remember which). No one quite knows why.

Thanks for the explanation of the US system, the english one's totally flawed but you do know where you are with an 'A'.

kira
I hate bananas.

Postby kira » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:24 am UTC

Charodei wrote:Seriously, why increase the scale? It will improve score resolution, allowing for better discrimination between test-takers, but that only mattered at the highest end.

They didn't really increase the scale. They added another section on top of the math and verbal (a "writing" score). So now you can get 800 for math, 800 for verbal and 800 for writing.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:51 am UTC

MightyMouse wrote:Thanks for the explanation of the US system, the english one's totally flawed but you do know where you are with an 'A'.

Hahah... sorry, I totally didn't clarify that in my post. That was the Australian system - more specifically the system in the state of NSW.

Ephphatha: I didn't know that about rural unis, thanks for pointing it out :) I live in Sydney so I didn't realise the differences.

Return to “General”