INTRODUCTIONS THREAD

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

Iluvatar wrote:I'm just wondering, how many other people went through the entire collection of comics before realizing that there is alt-text, and then proceeded to reread them all for it?

And since I feel a need to contribute to the discussion, I can dance, but only in the same sense that I can mountain-climb (ie, I can do it, but there's a good chance someone will die).

Death by Dance. I think that would be a catchy title for a band.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

Iluvatar wrote:I'm just wondering, how many other people went through the entire collection of comics before realizing that there is alt-text, and then proceeded to reread them all for it?

And since I feel a need to contribute to the discussion, I can dance, but only in the same sense that I can mountain-climb (ie, I can do it, but there's a good chance someone will die).

I did that for about half of them, then left my mouse on one too long and realized...

Yes, I went back and re-read through all the ones I missed out on.

P.S. You people post a lot while I'm asleep.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

Saladin wrote:Zing!

Christ I hate people who say things like "zing." And the word itself. I definitely hate that.

zing i dont have a problem with

it's "OH SNAP" that really grinds my gears

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

Rat wrote:

Christ I hate people who say things like "zing." And the word itself. I definitely hate that.

Why does "Oh Snap" get you?

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

Shuggz wrote:
Rat wrote:

Why does "Oh Snap" get you?

because it sounds retarded

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

I don't know, there's a few out there far worse.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

Shuggz wrote:

explain

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

Rat wrote:
Shuggz wrote:

explain

There's a few more words out there that are far worse and uttered by the general populace...

- Bling-bling
- Whip
- Dilznick

EDIT: I forgot to add the word "Dank" to this list.
SECOND EDIT: Also forgot to mention... anything ending in "izzle." Be it "fo shizzle" or "nizzle" or "snoopdizzle."

...but I think the worst two to come out of a human being's mouth at this time are "pwned" (where they make the p sound at the beginning to be a dork), and "noob."

I just hate the word noob. I wish I could rip the throats out of those game loving idiots who routinely use the word.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:36 pm UTC

The problem with words and phrases like that, is I start using them in an ironic type sense, making fun of it. Then, weeks/months later, I realize I've actually started using it. And I die a little inside.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

Tractor wrote:The problem with words and phrases like that, is I start using them in an ironic type sense, making fun of it. Then, weeks/months later, I realize I've actually started using it. And I die a little inside.

I'm sorry. I try to refrain from their use in day to day life. It's actually not hard, though, because where I live at is 85% "coloured," so I sound really odd if I say it.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

Tractor, I know exactly what you mean, and it's really bad. I *really* hate it when people use "gay" or variations thereon to describe something they think is stupid, and then eventually I started to do it in an ironic/mocking fashion in certain situations, and now it's worked its way into my habits, and I need to excise it again....

I guess one could say I've been pwned like a noob by my own sense of humour.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:43 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Tractor, I know exactly what you mean, and it's really bad. I *really* hate it when people use "gay" or variations thereon to describe something they think is stupid, and then eventually I started to do it in an ironic/mocking fashion in certain situations, and now it's worked its way into my habits, and I need to excise it again....

I guess one could say I've been pwned like a noob by my own sense of humour.

*Fingers twitch*

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

I still use anachronistic phrases like "neat" to describe something. I used to do it in jest, until I realized that I was starting to use it habitually.

Same goes for "word" , "rad", and "bitchin" (I tend to add the 'g' at the end of bitchin' though, to make it sound more odd..

*keeps it real*

Further, people never quite know what to make of me (intended effect) when I use phrases that are seen in the eyes of society to be tied to a specific group, as I'm neither #FFFFFF or #000000, but more of a #D1923F kinda guy.
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

i like nifty as a word. splendid is good too.

welcome to all.
abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:23 pm UTC

Spectre wrote:I still use anachronistic phrases like "neat" to describe something. I used to do it in jest, until I realized that I was starting to use it habitually.

Same goes for "word" , "rad", and "bitchin" (I tend to add the 'g' at the end of bitchin' though, to make it sound more odd..

*keeps it real*

Further, people never quite know what to make of me (intended effect) when I use phrases that are seen in the eyes of society to be tied to a specific group, as I'm neither #FFFFFF or #000000, but more of a #D1923F kinda guy.

We are on the same wavelength.

I actually don't have a favourite word or phrase ingrained in my pysche...but I do give people the eat-shit look nonstop. I blame it on rising so early in the morning.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

I'm going to have to admit that I use ghetto phrases sometimes too. In the most mocking of ways, but I still do it. It's fun to pronounce them in the most proper-English way possible. Like, "For shizzle" (with the 'r' of For given some prominence).

I have to confess, though, that I've started using verbal internet slang, because one of my best friends does it all the time. ("Well thanks." "NP") It's still mocking, but I'm scared to death it will become habit.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

It probably already is habit. The second you say it without realizing it, it's ingrained. And that sucks. I lied earlier. I think I do say "Are you serious? Are you f****** serious?" a lot, especially when I'm working. Mostly because clients will change their mind on what they want, thus wasting hours of my work.

Spectre

Postby Spectre » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

I've wanted to say things to clients like:

"I think that's an excellent idea! That would really do well in the absolute-fucking-moron market!"

"We would really just save ourselves a lot of time and effort by just stabbing ourselves in the crotch with a pair of scissors right now."

"Our competitors just issued a press release saying that they're about to jump off a building. Given your history of requests, I believe it would be prudent to follow suit."

This is why I'm not client facing.

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

I'm an independent web designer and network administrator. :cry: I get the profit yes, but the headaches almost make it not worth it. x.x Yay for going back to school to switch career paths.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

Spectre wrote:I still use anachronistic phrases like "neat" to describe something. I used to do it in jest, until I realized that I was starting to use it habitually.

*keeps it real*

I'm neither black nor white either. I, however, did spend 10 years of my life in downtown Detroit on the Wayne State campus. It was totally the ghetto. My friends don't believe me, but you try going to elementary school next to an abandoned building and see how not-ghetto it is. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that it gives me some street cred. Srsly.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

armyofmuffins

Postby armyofmuffins » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Ren wrote:I have to confess, though, that I've started using verbal internet slang, because one of my best friends does it all the time. ("Well thanks." "NP") It's still mocking, but I'm scared to death it will become habit.

I have this habit of saying "lol" [pronounced "l-oh-l"] in a prepubescent male voice when making fun of horribly stuck up people.

Aaaand hi! I'm a typical tea house-hopping linguistic-loving person attempting to improve my Chinese here in Taiwan while clinging desperately to my fading Japanese skill. I've been reading the xkcd comics since a friend of mine introduced me to them a while ago, but I just now saw the forums!

And my little avatar picture was taken on my back porch :D

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

Aaaand hi! I'm a typical tea house-hopping linguistic-loving person attempting to improve my Chinese here in Taiwan while clinging desperately to my fading Japanese skill.

There's a "typical" one of those?

That sounds awesome, by the way.

They/them

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

Whats a tea-house like? Is it anything like Starbucks?

armyofmuffins

Postby armyofmuffins » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

When you get to know three or four, the results are fairly typical. :D

Shuggz wrote:Whats a tea-house like? Is it anything like Starbucks?

Depends on what time you go!
Last edited by armyofmuffins on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

Fair enough.

Anyway, welcome to the boards, and happy posting.

They/them

armyofmuffins

Postby armyofmuffins » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:19 pm UTC

Thank you, and I'm totally kidding - it's more like I can't make up my mind which language I really want to pursue, so I just kind of meander through them both- not very typical, more like indecisive :D
Last edited by armyofmuffins on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Spectre

Postby Spectre » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Nei ho!

That's the extent of the Chinese that I can remember off hand. :)

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

I'd love to learn Chinese. Mostly so I could communicate with the lady that does my nails. Wonders never cease... she can't speak a word of English but she passed college to do nails.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

Chinese would drive me nuts, because the dialects are so different, and I'd never be sure I was learning the one I *really* wanted to know.

They/them

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

I lived for three years in Singapore when I was younger. My parents had a friend teach us a little Mandarin.

Damned if I remember anything other than 'nei how' and 'zhai tien.' And that's terribly anglicized spelling.

armyofmuffins

Postby armyofmuffins » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

Nihao! :)

Chinese can be a pain, but it's really interesting, especially the writing- which is like the main reason why I started studying it in the first place. The problem is, one person asks me about a single character and I end up talking about thirty minutes about the history and radicals of it that they really didn't give a flying eff about.

And the trick is to smile and nod when people speak another dialect around you. Or shake your fist. Or just pick your nose- I think that's universally known.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

*picks nose*

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

::shakes fist while nodding and smiling::

How's that for complete confusion across cultural lines?

They/them

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:01 pm UTC

Aldimond wrote:Somewhere in my subconscious I recognize it when people call Bel by his name but I can never remember it really so I just call him Bel,

I just noticed this, and can I say, while I'm pretty sure you're just forgetful, I'm going to instead assume that my true name has some horrible slippery arcane quality that causes it to escape from your mind when you aren't looking.

Because that makes me feel pretty awesome.

They/them

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

It's the latter. I have an exceptional memory, but your name slips out of it every time.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Belial

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:15 pm UTC

...sweet.

They/them

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

No, you have it all wrong. The only truly universal gesture is a swift kick to the face. I guarantee you they will have no doubt as to your meaning.
My hobby > yours. (yes, that is me)
singing about potatoes wrote:Theoretical-boobs and I both have dinghy access.
Fluff wrote:That sounds a bit kinky. :o

Spectre

Postby Spectre » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

My friend Ming Tranh can do that.

Shuggz

Postby Shuggz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

singing about potatoes wrote:No, you have it all wrong. The only truly universal gesture is a swift kick to the face. I guarantee you they will have no doubt as to your meaning.

What about a kick to the groin?

singing about potatoes

Postby singing about potatoes » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

Shuggz wrote:
singing about potatoes wrote:No, you have it all wrong. The only truly universal gesture is a swift kick to the face. I guarantee you they will have no doubt as to your meaning.

What about a kick to the groin?
Well, that only works on males, but I suppose it gets the point across as well.
My hobby > yours. (yes, that is me)

singing about potatoes wrote:Theoretical-boobs and I both have dinghy access.
Fluff wrote:That sounds a bit kinky. :o

Return to “General”