Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How old are you?

<=14
2%
15-17
24%
18-21
39%
22-25
20%
26-30
9%
31-40
4%
41+
2%

Total votes: 2191

Anasazi

Re: Age

Postby Anasazi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Woo, 14.

Codie

Postby Codie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Wow, I can't believe that 89% of you guys are Generation Y. :shock:

...I'm a Millennial as well.

Sonic132

Postby Sonic132 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:57 am UTC

Yay for being able to register to vote!
Not that I'm actually interested in voting of course, I just need a voter's card as a form of ID so I can get my state ID.
Yay for silly government requiring ID to get your ID!

Esperite

Postby Esperite » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:21 am UTC

I am currently 16 years old.
"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
— Oscar Wilde

crazzycat

Postby crazzycat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

HawkDesigns

Postby HawkDesigns » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

18, 19 at the end of December. (28th) :D
Spoiler:
^Clicky clicky^

indecision

Postby indecision » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 am UTC

I'm 17.

Dataflashsabot

Postby Dataflashsabot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:25 am UTC

I am as of this moment fifteen years of age.

ThinkSweet

Postby ThinkSweet » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

23. i feel old :(
</rant>

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

Re-voting, since I changed age brackets.
(Is 22 now)
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

That_one_guy
Location: Denton, Texas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe #24

Postby That_one_guy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

16. Jurassic Park is one of the first things I remember! :D
Стюарт's My name, Перевод вещей, используя Google's my game.

GENERATION 41i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Bliop

Postby Bliop » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:13 am UTC

13 and fresh here. =) Say hi.
Boo!

Codie

Postby Codie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:51 am UTC

Bliop wrote:13 and fresh here. =) Say hi.

So does that mean you're Generation Y, or Generation Z?

Bliop

Postby Bliop » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:29 am UTC

Codie wrote:
Bliop wrote:13 and fresh here. =) Say hi.

So does that mean you're Generation Y, or Generation Z?

I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean.
Boo!

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:26 pm UTC

15 here. I'm not sure what my generation is. I was born at the end of what is technically Gen Y (1993), but my mother was born after the peak baby boom birthrate (1966). But, my grandmother was born in 1941.

The real question is if I'm Y or Z. Z is generally defined as living with things like the internet their entire lives. Because my father has always been innovative and has been showing me the forefront of whatever consumers could get their hands on, I got away with that while being born before Gen Z technically began.

If technology access is not a defining factor, then I'm probably Y. My mother was born at the end of the Baby boom era, but my grandmother was born before it, thus placing my mother into it, and myself into Gen Y.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

ThinkSweet wrote:23. i feel old :(

25, and...yeah. Kind of a bit, around here. :P

nbonaparte1 wrote:15 here. I'm not sure what my generation is. I was born at the end of what is technically Gen Y (1993), but my mother was born after the peak baby boom birthrate (1966). But, my grandmother was born in 1941.

The real question is if I'm Y or Z. Z is generally defined as living with things like the internet their entire lives. Because my father has always been innovative and has been showing me the forefront of whatever consumers could get their hands on, I got away with that while being born before Gen Z technically began.

If technology access is not a defining factor, then I'm probably Y. My mother was born at the end of the Baby boom era, but my grandmother was born before it, thus placing my mother into it, and myself into Gen Y.

Listen. I don't care how other people define it, but if you're younger than the Simpsons, we are not the same generation.
ImageImageImageImageImage

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

16, 17 in December. Hurray for youth/age.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Hazel

Postby Hazel » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

Eighteen here. The coming third decade kinda freaks me out.

Codie

Postby Codie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

Listen. I don't care how other people define it, but if you're younger than the Simpsons, we are not the same generation.

I've heard of that show. How old are the Simpsons?

That's an interesting idea, defining ones generation not by birth year, but of what you grew up with. I'm practically the opposite, as my family wanted to hold me way back technologically (and culturally), but only partially succeeded. So, what generation would you consider me to be, not taking actual birth year into account? I often feel a *huge* generation gap between me and people who are the same age as me.

My mom used to be very old-fashioned. She is also *much* older than your mother. My family has a reputation of having kids really, really late. My uncle is about 60 and has a 2 year old for example! Also most of the members of my family seem to have drunk from the fountain of eternal youth, as most of them look several decades younger than they actually are. My grandma looked like many 40 year olds look when she turned 80. My mom believed that the world went completely downhill after about 1965. One of her parental goals was to ensure that I wasn't "corrupted" by the modern world. Also she had spent most of the 1970s and 1980s in foreign countries, so she said that she completely missed the 70s and 80s. She also completely despised modern technology. Before I was born, she vowed not to have a single piece of technology in the house for as long as I was a child or teenager (although things like lightbulbs and refrigerations were alright.) This turned out to not work out though. We used a record player. It broke after awhile and then we didn't get it replaced. We used cassette tapes after that. I was only allowed to listen to classical music tapes, Bible stories, and old radio and television shows that my mom and grandparents listened to when they were children. Many of my toys were literally antiques. Until my great-grandmother died, we did not have a television set. After she died, she left us her old television set (which was technically an antique.) My mom was really not happy about this, as she did not like what was shown on tv. She hated the modern-day shows on television, and even more hated the news. She hadn't watched the news in a very long time, or read the newspaper. Luckily, my grandparents gave us an old, semi-broken VCR that my aunt had given them 10 years before that after she found that it had some problems. We used rotary dial phones at home, as well as my grandpa's old typewriter that he gave us. Later on, my mom, much to her horror, was forced to get a computer for her work. She was really not happy about this. I was really excited! It was also about this time when my mom finally relented to getting a CD player, as it was getting almost impossible to find cassette tapes any more (of course I was not allowed to listen to popular music.) I loved learning everything about the new computer. My friends were always talking about the Internet, but my mom wanted nothing to do with it. She had heard about bad content on it, and that was that, for several years. Finally, I figured out a way to connect to one of those old dial-up systems where you can get black and white text based internet (hugely obsolete at the time. My friends felt sorry for me.) So, I learned how to use the Internet. Although it was difficult as not many pages were designed for text-based browsers anymore. Her rationale was that it would be impossible to run into inappropriate images on a text-based browser. When mp3 players became commonplace, my mom insisted that they were a huge waste of money. She still used her old portable cassette player. My grandma let me borrow her portable CD player sometimes though.

Well, anyway all of this has left me with some rather interesting perspectives on things. For one thing, I was baffled by most popular culture references that my friends made. I still am, but to a lesser extent now. The 90's and early 2000s for me were more like much earlier decades! I had a much easier time discussing television show's and such with my friend's parents than with my friends. One of the only occurrences of watching the news on television was when we took a trip to Europe and they had a television set in the hotel room. It was in the summer of 2001. I heard about all sorts of major problems in Northern Ireland and Greece. It was quite disturbing actually. I was under the impression that violence had sort of stopped sometime in the mid-1900s. (I had never taken a contemporary history class before, so my historical knowledge stopped around 1850. But I had heard of the Napoleonic Wars and the Great War and Second World War, and only vaguely about other events. I'd never heard of the Cold War though, and never knew that Germany was partitioned into two different countries, one that was communist!) Anyway, I was a bit scared. I realized why my mom was so anti-news. Then guess what happened soon after. September 11th. I heard about that in school. It was so scary. And then after that they started discussing problems in Israel. And Afghanistan and Iraq. It was the very worst year in my life. It didn't bother other people quite as much, because they were used to hearing about problems in the world. Also the US going to war, that was inconceivable for me to imagine. I had thought there would never be another war. I thought we were beyond it. Wars were things that happened a long time ago.

A couple years later, we finally got a DVD player, even though DVDs were around for a bit. We also got a new TV, as my great-grandma's old television set finally broke. I was allowed to use the regular, modern, internet. I was allowed to watch some *childrens* shows on the television. Of course by that time, my friends were beyond watching childrens shows. I saw a couple re-runs of some shows from back in the 1990s, so I finally understood some of the references--although by that time I had given up discussing television shows with people my age. Anyway, now people that are about my age think I am way older than they are, or alternatively way younger (because I know everything about the children's shows of a couple years ago, and I look a lot younger than I actually am.) Being homeschooled for part of the time, also contributed to making me more isolated to the outside world.

So, what am I based on my experiences? Generation X? Generation Y? Generation XY? Generation Z? Generation Jones? Or something totally different.

Doug4.7

Postby Doug4.7 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

goedjn4 wrote:I remember 8" floppy disks, Hollerith cards, and paper-tape.
I remember CRT terminals in monochrome (white, green, or amber)
I remember playing TREK and "code of hammurabi"
on a 50 pound paper terminal with an acoustic coupler performing
at the blinding speed of 110 Baud.

I remember the moon landings, although I was young
enough to wonder why my father was making me listen.
Sounds familiar. My college programs were all in Hollerith cards. I remember having to lug those around campus at 2 AM so that I could find an open time to get the programs run at the few batch card input terminals our campus had available to us undergrads (and getting cussed at by the operator when I forgot to remove the rubber bands around the data cards). Remember the VT100? We had a modified version called the VT640 that would do graphics (in monochrome).

I am 49.7.
Seek professional help.

Codie

Postby Codie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

^ So you're Generation Jones then.

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

I'm a pure Generation X'er born in '74‼

...and my age is 34.75.
"The Graal... is a weight so heavy that creatures in the bondage of sin are unable to move it from its place."
─Wolfram von Eschenbach, Parzival, IX, 477

Walter.Horvath

Postby Walter.Horvath » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

I prefer Gen Ω.

Codie

Postby Codie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

iblis.raeb wrote:I'm a pure Generation X'er born in '74‼

...and my age is 34.75.

Isn't that under some definitions the cusp between Gen X and Gen Y?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:27 am UTC

Codie wrote:
I've heard of that show. How old are the Simpsons?
The Simpsons first aired on the Tracy Ulman show on April 19, 1987 and got their own show which began airing on December 17, 1989.

So, 22 or 19, almost 20 depending on where you start counting.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

iblis.raeb

Postby iblis.raeb » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:56 am UTC

Codie wrote:
iblis.raeb wrote:I'm a pure Generation X'er born in '74‼

...and my age is 34.75.

Isn't that under some definitions the cusp between Gen X and Gen Y?

The following definition is nice because the lowest birth rate year is near the middle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X wrote:In the 1991 book Generations, William Strauss and Neil Howe call this generation the "13th Generation" and define the birth years as 1961 to 1981 (the lowest birth rate year for this generation was 1971).
"The Graal... is a weight so heavy that creatures in the bondage of sin are unable to move it from its place."
─Wolfram von Eschenbach, Parzival, IX, 477

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:35 am UTC

14 w00t lets hope 2012 is a lie.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Codie

Postby Codie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:43 am UTC

e Simpsons first aired on the Tracy Ulman show on April 19, 1987 and got their own show which began airing on December 17, 1989 So, 22 or 19, almost 20 depending on where you start counting

I don't get it. You're saying that you consider everyone born before 1989 part of your generation, but everyone born after 1989 or so part of the next generation? What's so special about that time period?

Party_Lights

Postby Party_Lights » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

I am 18.

Also, I always seem to be part of the majority of most ages. For some reason.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

Codie wrote:
e Simpsons first aired on the Tracy Ulman show on April 19, 1987 and got their own show which began airing on December 17, 1989 So, 22 or 19, almost 20 depending on where you start counting
I don't get it. You're saying that you consider everyone born before 1989 part of your generation, but everyone born after 1989 or so part of the next generation? What's so special about that time period?
..huh? Someone asked how old the Simpsons are. I gave an answer. I'm not speculating on what generation they may or may not be in.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

Codie wrote:

Fall of the wall, end of the cold war, breakup of the USSR, beginning of a recession following the economic boom of the 80's: All significant events which you won't remember, but likely had an effect on your parents in your formative years. Thats before you even think to consider the year on year educational changes that are phased in during particular school years, following a particular cohort through the system, changing the way different ages of people experience school significantly.

From my personal and potentially flawed observation; there's a bigger divide between the 1989-1990 and 1990-1991 cohorts than any other I've seen both statistically (I have some limited access to the raw stats [as opposed to adulterated govt. league tables] for my former local LEA via my Dad) and in terms of real world behaviour.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

MooglesLord

Postby MooglesLord » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

19, and I'll be turning 20 in Janurary (eep...not a nice feeling at all XD)

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

15, and only a month or so and I can drive! :)

Doug4.7

Postby Doug4.7 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:46 am UTC

HawkDesigns wrote:18, 19 at the end of December. (28th) :D
That would make you exactly 31 years younger than me.
Seek professional help.

Quadropus

Postby Quadropus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

I am now 18, I have only just got around to updating this thread, even though it isn't hugely important....

I remember using floppy disks when I was reasonably young (I liked computers as soon as I got to use them).
I remember 56k dial up internet fondly where my mum paid 1 penny per minute so I had to ask to go online.
Video cassettes were the norm for quite some time.
Audio cassettes were also with me for a while, though things soon moved onto CDs which were alright, not as good because you couldn't record your own....yet.
My gameboy colour was my life at the age of 11 through to about 13 and Pokemon was the most awesome thing for several years (it is still awesome).

I remember playing on a sega megadrive II at a friends house, which I moved on to inherit from them when they bought a playstation 1 (one of those grey bricks that you could kill someone with) which used a CD!! Modern stuff....
After that I got their old playstation when they got a PS2....

Though by this time I had grown older and things were more technologically advanced and the advances were coming quicker than I had ever known (in my few years of being able to notice these things...)

Awwwh, I've gone all nostalgic!

Final thought: That Sega Megadrive still works flawlessly (well, there's nothing that taking out the cartridge and blowing in it wont solve!) and is played far more often than my xbox 360.

Final, final though, anyone want to give me a generation letter? I would think Y possibly, or maybe even Z? I'm not too adept with these things....

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

Codie

Postby Codie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

Quadropus wrote:I am now 18, I have only just got around to updating this thread, even though it isn't hugely important....

I remember using floppy disks when I was reasonably young (I liked computers as soon as I got to use them).
I remember 56k dial up internet fondly where my mum paid 1 penny per minute so I had to ask to go online.
Video cassettes were the norm for quite some time.
Audio cassettes were also with me for a while, though things soon moved onto CDs which were alright, not as good because you couldn't record your own....yet.
My gameboy colour was my life at the age of 11 through to about 13 and Pokemon was the most awesome thing for several years (it is still awesome).

I remember playing on a sega megadrive II at a friends house, which I moved on to inherit from them when they bought a playstation 1 (one of those grey bricks that you could kill someone with) which used a CD!! Modern stuff....
After that I got their old playstation when they got a PS2....

Though by this time I had grown older and things were more technologically advanced and the advances were coming quicker than I had ever known (in my few years of being able to notice these things...)

Awwwh, I've gone all nostalgic!

Final thought: That Sega Megadrive still works flawlessly (well, there's nothing that taking out the cartridge and blowing in it wont solve!) and is played far more often than my xbox 360.

Final, final though, anyone want to give me a generation letter? I would think Y possibly, or maybe even Z? I'm not too adept with these things....

Most definitely Generation Y, since very few sources end it so early in the '90s, and you remember all of the technology of the olden days. Although not the Cold War Generation Partition (Generation XY/The MTV Generation/The generational cusp between X and Y), as I doubt you could remember anything about the fall of the Berlin Wall in Germany, or the Soviet Union. Btw, have you ever used records (for music), or rotary-dial phones?

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:31 am UTC

Ok, if you were born after 94' your Z if before, Y.

17. 92' I wish I was born in 90 though. The 90's were the shiz. VHS..Cassettes...Floppy disks...windows 98'...All the quality kids shows...Rock em' Sock em' Bopper's...Pokemon, ah the good old day's. :P :P :P
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Postby Special Agent Dale Cooper » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

19 here. Definitely not psyched about being 20 next year.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

I'll be turning 19 in a few months and I'm starting to freak out about how it's only a year away from being 20...... yeah, wow.

I can only imagine what It's going to feel like at this time next year.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:I'll be turning 19 in a few months and I'm starting to freak out about how it's only a year away from being 20...... yeah, wow.

I can only imagine what It's going to feel like at this time next year.

About the same as this year.
And last year.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Return to “General”