Becoming an MC: What do I do?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hooch

Becoming an MC: What do I do?

Postby Hooch » Sat May 21, 2011 1:01 am UTC

I'm trying to become an MC ("Master of Ceremonies"), performing alongside the DJ while he concentrates on the mixing. Now, I'm not talking about your banquet or recital MC, who coordinates EVERY part of the party. But my best impression of the MC I want to be comes from dubstep shows. Here is part of the 2nd GetDarker party with Chasing Shadows (who did a very good job, in my opinion):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnFI6epLqsQ

Or, if you don't mind the crappy video quality, my coverage of Datsik's show at Spring Love 2011, the second clip being the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TojsVVsOLQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDFES9MHzAE

The biggest problem seems to be where to start. I don't know if there are any official requirements, dots on a resume, or even where to start working once I get the job (or, rather, in order to get the job), etc. I don't actually know any occupational MCs, so it's not like I can walk up and ask someone about the details of the job.

This is where y'all step in. Do y'all have any straight-up facts about the job, or at the very least, advice? Anything helps.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

dubsola

Re: Becoming an MC: What do I do?

Postby dubsola » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 am UTC

You should ask this on dubstepforum.com.

My advice to any aspiring MC is to be clear on who you are and what you're here to say.

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Mon May 23, 2011 11:46 am UTC

Are you sure you have what it takes? :P
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Tue May 24, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

M.C. wrote:Are you sure you have what it takes? :P

Pretty sure. I'm willing to build myself up from smaller DJs if I have to. But I need some "requirements" and expectations.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Wear a big clock and rhyme a lot.

At least that's what I hear.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 am UTC

Start by looking for smaller work to build up your confidence. Offer yourself as a possible MC for Bar and Bat Mitzvahs; if you have any friends who do performance casually, ask them for connections and suggestions about tiny little bars and clubs where you can get some practice with audiences.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Wed May 25, 2011 12:48 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Wear a big clock and rhyme a lot.

At least that's what I hear.

Nice Flavor Flav reference, but he is a hype man, not an MC.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu May 26, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:My advice to any aspiring MC is to be clear on who you are and what you're here to say.

But don't start a rhyme with "My name is <insert name> and i'm here to say...!" as that is the domain of 90's sitcoms and dads trying to be cool. Or mainly dads in 90's sitcoms trying to be cool.
i dare you to take me on...

iChef

Postby iChef » Fri May 27, 2011 2:06 am UTC

I recommend parachute pants.

But seriously your best bet for a job like this is find someone who is doing exactly what you want to do and tag along with them. Go to the shows they host talk to these people and see what makes it all happen. I've done some hosting of rock shows in the past, but that wasn't really much stage presence. My main job was booking acts, setting up the venue, providing food and drink making sure all the permits were in order, advertising, things like that. Once you have an idea of what you want to do, try throwing a small show somewhere. Just do a little one with only a couple acts just so you can practice, if you want to get into the music business it is very important to know all those little details. Everyone wants to do the fun parts, but the people who actually make money at it are the ones who are good at securing venues, arranging merchandise and refreshments, making sure all the permits are in order and all the other tedious crap that no one thinks about and no one really wants to do because it is boring and not glamorous.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri May 27, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:You should ask this on dubstepforum.com.

My advice to any aspiring MC is to be clear on who you are and what you're here to say.

i see what you did there.....
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Return to “General”