iPhone

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rockintom99

iPhone

Postby rockintom99 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

I know no one will really shut the hell up about them, but they *are* pretty snazzy. I know I would have bought one if it was available on t-mobile.

So, anyone else get one?
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

I don't get the huge hype. This is why I hate apple, they have really good marketing people which manages to sell their inferior products. Bah.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

Nope. I already have a bitching new phone that I got for free, so it's not like I even want the iPhone. Plus, it's pretty expensive, and my dad wouldn't buy it for me, even if I actually did want it.

I do have an iPod, though, and I like it...

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

I'm waiting for a second gen phone. There are some things I absolutely love about the iPhone that are trademark Apple ingenuity - the touch screen, the tilt sensor and a decent bloody web browser for a few examples - but it still strikes me as a tech demo more than a phone I'd want to use on a daily basis. I already own an iPod and a 3G phone that's capable of faster data rates, recording video and sending MMS (seriously, wtf? Why wouldn't you include such a ridiculously simple feature?) and it's not limited to a single carrier. Also, our data plans here SUCK, since we don't really have unlimited data plans on mobiles, which make using the mobile web aspect pretty much useless. If I didn't own an iPod I might have considered it; as it is, if my current one dies around the time of a new iPhone that includes HSDPA connectivity, stereo Bluetooth and GPS, I'll be going for it.

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

It's not really *inferior*... just, massively limited. No third party apps is a huge turnoff for this.

I just happen to be wanting a new phone, as mine is the cheap $30 piece of crap prepaid that they sell at walmart.
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

They have the same battery issues as the Ipod, because they have the same battery. Which means that in two or three years, the battery for your 600 dollar toy will run down, refuse to hold a charge, and you won't be able to replace it because it's not modular. Have fun buying a new one
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

rockintom99

Postby rockintom99 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:04 pm UTC

Belial wrote:They have the same battery issues as the Ipod, because they have the same battery. Which means that in two or three years, the battery for your 600 dollar toy will run down, refuse to hold a charge, and you won't be able to replace it because it's not modular. Have fun buying a new one

Ah yes, that is the other big problem. Phones should *always* have a replaceable battery. I don't care if it adds a few millimeters.

Also, it doesn't really matter that it is the same battery as the iPod, *all* lithium batteries will do that.
THIS IS A SIGNATURE.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

This is true, but again, this particular lithium battery is not replaceable, like most others are. Probably the one things that pisses me off about my mini is that it's still a good machine, it holds 4G and I'm not likely to go over that, but it's four hour charge lasts about twenty minutes now. Fricking piece of crap....so I'm getting a 30-gigger from Costco. :)
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Debilis

Postby Debilis » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

saxything43 wrote:This is true, but again, this particular lithium battery is not replaceable, like most others are. Probably the one things that pisses me off about my mini is that it's still a good machine, it holds 4G and I'm not likely to go over that, but it's four hour charge lasts about twenty minutes now. Fricking piece of crap....so I'm getting a 30-gigger from Costco. :)

You actually can change the battery on minis. I had to do so on mine, and it works like new. You can buy or order replacement batteries, which come with the tools and instructions on how to do it. It's a pretty painless procedure, and is pretty cheap (<$20, if I recall, though I could be wrong).

But I take it that the iPhone is completely unable to have its battery changed, from what I'm seeing here. I hadn't heard that before. That is a pretty huge problem.

IronSpike

Postby IronSpike » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

My husband covets, but I'm not too interested. And while he probably wishes he could be an early adopter, he's going to try and wait until the next generation comes out, any problems they might have now are solved, and the price drops.
Hi. Read my comic. kthnx.

haveblue

Postby haveblue » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

I want one, but they're not available in Canada yet. However, I do see a lot of problems with it, which are becoming increasingly more apparent as I read more reviews. I'd still buy one though. I just hope Rogers (our GSM carrier, for those not in Canada) fixes their data plans, because their prices are outrageous.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:I don't get the huge hype. This is why I hate apple, they have really good marketing people which manages to sell their inferior products. Bah.

This is very true. On a level playing field, nobody would have a Mac. What's their appeal? The 'friendly user interface' idea has been nullified by Vista.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

rockintom99 wrote:It's not really *inferior*... just, massively limited. No third party apps is a huge turnoff for this.

I just happen to be wanting a new phone, as mine is the cheap $30 piece of crap prepaid that they sell at walmart.

not inferior? Well it depends on your criteria, but typically apple products are inferior, there are cheaper phones with more functions etc. Ofcourse they won't have the same design or layout, nor will they be "as cool" which is a big part of purchases (same reason why people buy ferraris or chanel perfume, or even more, Lacrosse boxers or socks)

600$ is fucking steep, but hey. Encourage companies to spend more or design and marketing rather than .. the product if you want.
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

It's sad that I can't comment on this or I could lose my job.

!

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:50 pm UTC

Belial wrote:They have the same battery issues as the Ipod, because they have the same battery. Which means that in two or three years, the battery for your 600 dollar toy will run down, refuse to hold a charge, and you won't be able to replace it because it's not modular. Have fun buying a new one

Wow, this is just incorrect. There is an iPhone battery replacement program with Apple. I am sure there will be many 3rd party possibilities springing up next year. You can replace an iPod battery yourself for about $20, so I would assume the same thing will be possible soon.

Nice try on the FUD, though.

Couple things from digg (which is completely overrun with iPhone articles atm...):
This video is awesome.
This article has some good disappointments. Apparently the web browsing experience is not so hot.

To me, the iPhone is missing way too many features and is entirely too locked down to justify $600. I definitely don't want to have AT&T for 2 years either.

I drove past a Cingular/now AT&T store yesterday around 6:30 and there were about 20 people standing outside (they started selling them at 6). The funny thing I noticed was that 90% of them were white men in late 20s/early 30s. Who woulda thunk?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

DannyboyO1

Postby DannyboyO1 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:55 am UTC

I'm waiting for 3rd-4th generation implant phones.

Yes, I know it'll be a while.

Of course, I figure mods that block advertisements and telemarketers would be pretty damned popular...
There is no signature that still seems witty 50 posts later

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:57 am UTC

You can replace an iPod battery yourself for about $20

Can you? Because I've had a more or less useless piece of scrap metal sitting plugged into a wall for a year or so, and was told I was pretty much SOL.

They/them

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:12 am UTC

We bought one at work (on the servers budget, since we had a wee bit leftover for a new toy since we bought BEHEMOTH servers and virtualized instead of buying a bunch of little ones)

It survived ONE day of having the Helldesk phones forwarded to it before it started crashing like our Windows mobile phones (which we use for some custom apps) do. We're drawing straws to see who gets to take it back to the Apple Store and raise holy hell.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:28 am UTC

Belial wrote:

Can you? Because I've had a more or less useless piece of scrap metal sitting plugged into a wall for a year or so, and was told I was pretty much SOL.

I'm surprised at you, Belial. I would expect an xkcdian to do research beyond having just a few people telling you something, especially in regards to a $200+ brick.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1835128,00.asp for starters, http://www.ipodjuice.com/ sells kits + batteries at $20-40.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Debilis

Postby Debilis » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:35 am UTC

Belial wrote:

I believe this is the exact kit I got. found on http://www.ipodbattery.com/, though the dealer is actually LaptopsForLess.
Kit is $16, plus shipping, and, as I said, worked perfectly.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:04 am UTC

The battery thing is kind of alarming. I did not know about that before, because, well...I don't have an iPod. (GASP!)

My phone is just this 100-something dollar Samsung that cost me $30 with the rebate. Nothing fancy.

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:09 am UTC

It's a phone.

I just want it to ring people.

Everything else is expensive waste.
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:29 am UTC

stuck wrote:It's a phone.

I just want it to ring people.

Everything else is expensive waste.

Yes! I hate it when phones add all of these weird features, especially text messaging. I could never get the point of why someone would waste all that time pressing a bunch of keys when they can usually press two, talk directly to that person and finish the conversation all in the time when one person sends a text message. BAH!

/vent.

JuliaGlass

Postby JuliaGlass » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:44 am UTC

mrcheesypants wrote:Yes! I hate it when phones add all of these weird features, especially text messaging. I could never get the point of why someone would waste all that time pressing a bunch of keys when they can usually press two, talk directly to that person and finish the conversation all in the time when one person sends a text message. BAH!

I'm with you here. If someone sends me a text message, I'll just call them back instead of replying. However, I have used text messaging to tell my mom something when she is in the middle of a meeting and I don't want to interrupt by calling her.

I also think mp3 phones are kind of a dumb idea because usually the batteries drain so quickly anyway. I don't use the camera feature on my phone but some people make use of that.

EDITed because of nested quotes.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:00 am UTC

A big part of the job I had before I worked at/with Hammer, was designing cell phones. They would send me napkin drawings. I would then turn that into a 3D model and render it from many angles. They would show the result to the actual cell phone company for a nod, before the "real" engineers made blueprints.

If you got a cell phone in the late 90s and it wasn't a Motorola, I got a chance to lay out the buttons and screen, texture the plastic, etc... all the non-electronic parts. In other words, it was largely my fault.

But really, they kept saying, "can't you make the buttons smaller".
...the whim of a hat.

kcr

Postby kcr » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:03 am UTC

The iphone is cool and all, and I might enjoy fiddling around with one for a few minutes, but owning one? eh. I don't need all that shit on a cell phone! The ability to call people, and I occasionally send a text message or two. Pretty much all I need.

If people can't be separated from the internet, and need it on our phone, that's sad. And this is coming from an internet addict. I don't need to bring it out of the house with me!

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:34 am UTC

I don't understand why 600 dollars isn't that much for a phone, but if you want a PS3, probably the sexiest thing i've ever seen in my life, it's like "OMGWTFBBQ!?!!?!? 600 DOLLOR$$$ THAAT'S CRAZY!" Goddamn, I hate how people will do anything to blow steve jobs.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:19 am UTC

I agree with you there, I'm not paying 500-600 dollars as well as a $60/mo service fee. That will be a lot of the deciding factor about the iPhone's success in Australia, IMO - people here don't pay for phones, it's that simple. If it's on a plan, the phone payment forms part of the plan; if it isn't, you buy the phone outright and only pay for the services you use. If Apple tries to dictate terms other than that with any of the telcos here, I don't see its success being all that large.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

Castaway wrote:I don't understand why 600 dollars isn't that much for a phone, but if you want a PS3, probably the sexiest thing i've ever seen in my life, it's like "OMGWTFBBQ!?!!?!? 600 DOLLOR$$$ THAAT'S CRAZY!" Goddamn, I hate how people will do anything to blow steve jobs.

Because they are completely separate markets with completely different price expectations. Smartphones regularly go for $600 or even more. Whether or not you want to call the iPhone a "smartphone" is up for debate, though.

I don't understand why people don't think $150k for a house is a reasonable price, but if you want a ferrari and have to pay $150k, which is the sexiest thing on Earth, its like "OMGWTFBBQ!?!!?!? 150 THOUSAND DOLLOR$$$ THAAT'S CRAZY!" Goddamn, I hate how people will do anything to blow Enzo Ferrari.

See what I mean?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:12 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
Castaway wrote:I don't understand why 600 dollars isn't that much for a phone, but if you want a PS3, probably the sexiest thing i've ever seen in my life, it's like "OMGWTFBBQ!?!!?!? 600 DOLLOR$$$ THAAT'S CRAZY!" Goddamn, I hate how people will do anything to blow steve jobs.

Because they are completely separate markets with completely different price expectations. Smartphones regularly go for $600 or even more. Whether or not you want to call the iPhone a "smartphone" is up for debate, though.

I don't understand why people don't think $150k for a house is a reasonable price, but if you want a ferrari and have to pay $150k, which is the sexiest thing on Earth, its like "OMGWTFBBQ!?!!?!? 150 THOUSAND DOLLOR$$$ THAAT'S CRAZY!" Goddamn, I hate how people will do anything to blow Enzo Ferrari.

See what I mean?

Well that's probably because you can get a car for alot less, but for a house that's pretty much it. Oh and you're going to use the cooler things ina house costing X more alot more than in a ferrari compared to .. a ford. or whatever.

I think the same actually holds true of the PS3, but also because the Iphone is by apple and apple people are used to paying a ton of money for essental shit.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:07 am UTC

mrcheesypants wrote:Yes! I hate it when phones add all of these weird features, especially text messaging. I could never get the point of why someone would waste all that time pressing a bunch of keys when they can usually press two, talk directly to that person and finish the conversation all in the time when one person sends a text message. BAH!

/vent.

I like text messaging. I don't like going into phone conversations with people when all I'm going to do is ask him/her a really quick question, and then hang up. You have to go through all the formalities and waste time doing that: "Hi...hello? Hello? Martha? Are you there? Hello? Oh, hey. So I was wondering...*blah blah blah* Okay, cool. All right, I'll see you then. Yeah. Bye. Bye. See you later. Okay, bye. Yeah....Bye. Okay, yeah. Bye. *wait for other person to hang up, then hang up*"

(It might just be me, but I always wait until the other person hangs up to hang up. I just don't like hanging up before the other person hangs up...Grah!)

And my phone has iTap, which is pretty convenient. It "guesses" which word you want to use, which is surprisingly accurate most of the time. With some of the newer phones, texting is very fast and very simple.

Plus, I like to text when I'm at a party or something, since I'm not sharing what I want to say/ask with everyone else around me, and I still get to participate in the conversation going on at the time. Great for multi-tasking. It's also great when I know the person is engaged in something else, since I don't want to call and interrupt said engagement. And it's much easier to leave a message, since with voicemail, sometimes it's hard to make out the person is actually saying.

Also, if you're in a "quiet" place (the library, maybe), then you could just text instead of disturbing the silence by calling.

Really, when used correctly, texting is amazingly useful, and quite convenient as well. Maybe it's just me, since I'm only 15, and have basically lived my whole life with technology, but I think it's a grave mistake to underestimate the usefulness of some of the newer features of phones, etc.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:11 am UTC

I hate iTap (I know it as T9 word). It confuses the hell out of me and actually makes me take more time to text.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:34 am UTC

Debilis wrote:
saxything43 wrote:This is true, but again, this particular lithium battery is not replaceable, like most others are. Probably the one things that pisses me off about my mini is that it's still a good machine, it holds 4G and I'm not likely to go over that, but it's four hour charge lasts about twenty minutes now. Fricking piece of crap....so I'm getting a 30-gigger from Costco. :)

You actually can change the battery on minis. I had to do so on mine, and it works like new. You can buy or order replacement batteries, which come with the tools and instructions on how to do it. It's a pretty painless procedure, and is pretty cheap (<$20, if I recall, though I could be wrong).

But I take it that the iPhone is completely unable to have its battery changed, from what I'm seeing here. I hadn't heard that before. That is a pretty huge problem.

My sister did the same thing, im gay
=]

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

une see wrote:I like text messaging. I don't like going into phone conversations with people when all I'm going to do is ask him/her a really quick question, and then hang up. You have to go through all the formalities and waste time doing that: "Hi...hello? Hello? Martha? Are you there? Hello? Oh, hey. So I was wondering...*blah blah blah* Okay, cool. All right, I'll see you then. Yeah. Bye. Bye. See you later. Okay, bye. Yeah....Bye. Okay, yeah. Bye. *wait for other person to hang up, then hang up*"

Wow, you're way more phone-polite than me. I'm pretty sure I've had this conversation before:
"::ring ring:: ...Hello?"
"Quickly! Heath Bar Crunch or Bailey's-flavored Haagen Dasz?"
"Both!"
"Sweet. ::click::"

And my phone has iTap, which is pretty convenient. It "guesses" which word you want to use, which is surprisingly accurate most of the time. With some of the newer phones, texting is very fast and very simple.

I didn't know this was commonly included in phones now. Kick ass. I may actually bother to use text messaging when I get a new phone. If nothing else, so I can ever get hold of Belial when I'm out, since he refuses to answer anything but an IM. -_-;;
You don't make them touch!

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

If nothing else, so I can ever get hold of Belial when I'm out, since he refuses to answer anything but an IM

Hey now. That's a dirty lie. I'll answer. I just won't be *happy* about it.*

::grumble grumble hate phones grumble grumble::

*ETA: Erm...assuming my phone is in my pants.

And my pants are on.

Or at least within earshot.

They/them

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:16 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:I don't get the huge hype. This is why I hate apple, they have really good marketing people which manages to sell their inferior products. Bah.

what he said.

the only thing even mildly attractive is the dual-point touch recognition, everything else is /yawn.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

OCR

Postby OCR » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:

This is very true. On a level playing field, nobody would have a Mac. What's their appeal? The 'friendly user interface' idea has been nullified by Vista.

Vista isn't using a solid core of Unix though. OSX is a beautiful, easy to use *NIX. The fact that not enough people use it so virii aren't created for it is another added bonus! Mac's handle video/audio processing a lot better than Windows as well. Or used to, I guess all these fancy dual core+ processors computers make it fairly insignificant. I remember when my 12" powerbook was running my virtual guitar pedalboard with less latency than any Windows machine we could find in the CS building.

I would hardly say their computers are inferior, neither would I call the OS inferior.
"Well if you excuse me I'm going to go on an overnight drunk and in 10 days I'm going set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it."

sebbeklang

Postby sebbeklang » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:35 pm UTC

i'm quite an apple fanboy, so i wouldn't mind one. however, it's not sure my current one will last until the iphone gets here, so i'll probably get another phone, one that i can afford :D

WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Infinite Patience

Postby WhiteRabbit » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

Double Post!
Last edited by WhiteRabbit on Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
For the Jihad

WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Infinite Patience

Postby WhiteRabbit » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:06 pm UTC

As much as I love Apple, I'd rather have a Nokia N800 and my normal phone (SCH-u740) than an iPhone.
For the Jihad

Return to “General”