Wikipedia, first link loops

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

animeHrmIne

Re: Wikipedia, first link loops

Postby animeHrmIne » Thu May 26, 2011 3:56 am UTC

Ouch.jars wrote:Has anyone tried this in other languages?

All the random articles on the Russian Wikipedia I tried fall into this loop:
Наука (science)
Познание (cognition)
Метод (method)
Систематизация (systematisation (according to Google Translate))
Теория множеств (set theory)
Математика (mathematics)

Before I tried it in Spanish, I wanted to see if a Philosophy loop even existed. It does, but it's really long. It's Filosofía => Existencia => Mundo => Planeta => Redefinición de planeta de 2006 => 2006 => Anexo:Año común comenzado en domingo => Domingo => Semana => Tiempo => Magnitud física => Objeto (filosofía) => Filosofía

I got a bit worried around Planet and Time that it would shoot off and never return, but it did.

Also, when I do "biologist" I get Biologist => Scientist => System => Elements => Mathematics which does eventually get to Philosophy. The link says "Systematic", but it links to system.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu May 26, 2011 7:08 am UTC

The vast majority enter the loop via maths, then. Which makes rather more sense. If the property article was phrased the way I think it should be, then almost everything would end up in the maths->quantity->property->maths loop. But the meme is so prevalent that any attempt to change it would result in a furious edit-war with rabid supporters of the 'everything ends in philosophy' cult.

I was really surprised more people hadn't hit the road->thoroughfare->highway->road loop, then I realised there's an edit-war on the highway page too. The consensus of the actual editors seems to be that the appropriate first word to link is 'road', but philosophy-meme supporters keep inserting a wikilink to 'public'. Which is just stupid, and shouldn't be the first wikilink, but clearly the meme has precedence over common sense :roll:

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 am UTC

It doesn't work on the Dutch Wikipedia :(

Filosofie - Theorie - Hypothese - Wetenschap - Kennis - Weten - Kennis - ...

Philosophy - Theory - Hypothesis - Science - Knowledge - Knowing - Knowledge
Environ 20% plus chouette.

fredlhuber

Postby fredlhuber » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

i tried what happens when you start with the headword "philosophy" in different wikipedias. in german you end up at "Wissenschaft" (science), in italian you get "Conoscenza" (knowledge), in danish "Indoeuropæiske sprog" (indo-european languages), hungarian "Nap" (sun), russian "Математика" (mathematics), finnish "Antiikki" (ancient history), turkish "Avrupa" (europe)... i didn't check though whether most of the headwords end up somewhere in these loops...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

On Swedish wikipedia, most everything does lead to philosophy, but it leads to a science->knowledge->theory cycle.

Tried on memory-alpha, and identified some cycles, typically you end up on either particles, science or humanoid.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

I'm going to try this on tv tropes.

Unholy Holy Sword > MacGuffin > The Caper > A-Team Montage > The A-Team > Opening Narration > Title Sequence > The Teaser > Titles Sequence

Plot Powered Stamina > Made of Iron > Chekhov's Gun > Doomsday Device > Omnicidal Maniac > Earth Shattering Kaboom > The End of the World as We Know It > Big Bad > Badass > Rule of Cool > Your Mileage May Vary > Complete Monster > Moral Event Horizon > Kick the Dog > Karmic Protection > Designated Villain > Big Bad

Three Round Deathmatch > Combos > Combination Attack > Limit Break > Evolving Attack > Level Grinding > RPG > Games > Arcade Games > The Gay Nineties > Have a Gay Old Time > Accidental Innuendo > Getting Crap Past the Radar > Filth > Freud Was Right > All Men Are Perverts > I Have Boobs, You Must Obey > All Men Are Perverts

Percussive Prevention > Heroic Sacrifice > Taking the Bullet > Heroic Sacrifice

Man Hands > Girl of the Week > Temporary Love Interest > Story Arc > Layout of a Season > Genre Anthology > Crime and Punishment > Fyodor Dostoyevsky > Patronymic > Heroic Bastard > Badass > Rule of Cool > Your Mileage May Vary > Complete Monster > Moral Event Horizon > Kick the Dog > Karmic Protection > Designated Villain > Big Bad > Badass

Mascot > Everything Talks > Nightmare Fuel > High Octane Nightmare Fuel > Nightmare Fuel

So, after any hours wasted, I've identified 5 loops (the Titles Sequence loop, the Big Bad loop, the All Men are Perverts loop, the Heroic Sacrifice Loop and the Nightmare Fuel loop).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

metaed

Postby metaed » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

Who originated this? It would be nice to cite the inventor properly.

donpage

Postby donpage » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

I did try starting with A using these rules and got the sequence A -> Letter (alphabet) -> Grapheme -> Writing system -> Symbolic system -> Psychology -> Science -> Knowledge -> Fact -> Information -> Sequence -> Mathematics -> Quantity -> Quality (philosophy) -> Philosophy -> Reason -> Natural science -> Science and thence repeating the last 11-step loop. So it did get to Philosophy, but for this starting point, Science was the first entry to repeat. Of course, any entry that leads to Philosophy also leads to Science, so it might be true that most Wikipedia entries lead to Science. It would be interesting to know what is the most common first-repeated entry (Science if one starts with A) and whether indeed it is one of the words of this loop.

Hynuuk

Postby Hynuuk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 am UTC

Dear Dark Avorian,

Your claim to having discovered this phenomenon is bullshit. This was discovered by a Redditor with username "pixelcrak" on April 13, 2011. I was an original upvoter of the article. Stop claiming credit for something you clearly did not discover.

For proof, there's the [timestamped] submission:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/gpdhb/try_thiswikipedia_mindfk/

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:53 am UTC

Hynuuk wrote:Dear Dark Avorian,

Your claim to having discovered this phenomenon is bullshit. This was discovered by a Redditor with username "pixelcrak" on April 13, 2011. I was an original upvoter of the article. Stop claiming credit for something you clearly did not discover.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/g ... ia_mindfk/

While you may be right, he didn't claim he was the first to discover this. Nor is he trying to make money or anything off this. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt Independent discoveries happen often enough.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 am UTC

Hynuuk wrote:Dear Dark Avorian,

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/g ... ia_mindfk/

I highly doubt pixelcrak discovered (maybe in /r/new). Since when do people spend tons of time creating a professional-looking infographic when they discover something new? At best he would have made a self post, or pissed together something in paint to get karma.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Hynuuk

Postby Hynuuk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

I highly doubt pixelcrak discovered (maybe in /r/new). Since when do people spend tons of time creating a professional-looking infographic when they discover something new? At best he would have made a self post, or pissed together something in paint to get karma.

pixelcrak is a designer by trade. Check some of his post history and you'll see that he's pretty proficient with Photoshop. Proof is easy in this case and we needn't look any further than Google to discover who was the first to announce the phenomenon publicly. Here's how:

Google now has timeline searching. This means that you can perform a search within specific ranges of time. For example, searching for "wikipedia philosophy" will return results that talk about the phenomenon. However, if you set the range of time to anything before April 13th, 2011 (the date of pixelcrak's original post), nothing is returned that has anything to do with the trick. If you isolate the range to just April 13th, pixelcrak's post is the only result that talks about it.

Now perhaps someone discovered the phenomenon on a whim but never made it public, but pixelcrak's post was clearly the first public mention.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

Googled "Reddit Wikipedia Loops".
First: pixelcrak
Second: This
TIL 93% of Wikipedia articles lead to "Philosophy" by repeatedly clicking the first link (en.wikipedia.org)
submitted 5 months ago by nooodl

this post was submitted on 22 Feb 2011

Is unfamiliar with reddit's board. May have edited the post or something.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:56 am UTC

[[Wikipedia:Get to Philosophy]] was created on 26 May 2008. This is not a new thing.

However, I'm sure many many people have come up with the idea independently. Just look at how many people claim to be the one who came up with the six-degrees-of-separation game.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 am UTC

I know the guy who's uncle's hairdresser's brother's former room-mate came up with that!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ChasingAfterRainbows

Postby ChasingAfterRainbows » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:34 am UTC

There must be exception. For example, the first links on the pages for "Fact" and "Truth" redirect to each other.

GenericAnimeBoy

Postby GenericAnimeBoy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:20 am UTC

I wonder if one could develop something like Bacon Numbers to classify Wikipedia articles by their distance from one of these loops...
In light of the impermanence and absurdity of existence, I surmise that nothing is better for us than to rejoice and to do good in our lives, and that everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his/her labor. Such enjoyment is a gift from God.

mascaro6

Postby mascaro6 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

Narrative just cycles with non-fictional

Return to “General”