[SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

I should mention here that now I can't see or use the phrase "chink in the armor" without giggling. Because I have a mental image of a miniature Chinese man perched cross-legged on a giant suit of mobile armor. I'm allowed, right? I'm a terrible person?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby Belial » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

Illegally posting, but most writers tend to overthink the shit out of their titles, and in publications less prone to gravitas, they tend to try to make their titles "clever". Which is, I think, why so many people are assuming this couldn't possibly be an honest mistake: it looks too much like the sort of terrible pun someone would intentionally work into their title. Without the pun, it reads too bland to even be a title.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby natraj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

haha, anyone is allowed to post here. i don't think that is illegal. anyway, but, yeah, it a) does not read like an honest mistake given its wink-nudge cleverness to me and b) anyway if people take things like this seriously, then maybe in future everyone will be less prone to it.

and for the record, i do not think getting upset at racial slights is some kind of histrionic hyperventilating.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

Someone just used "chink in the armor" in a random post in N&A.

What I regarded as hyperventilating was the huge threads it spawned on Facebook in my journalism circles, variously filled with calls to blacklist the writer and destroy any future career he has, to calling him a bigoted racist or more profanity-laced words, to invective-filled rants against ESPN as a whole despite their apology and suspension of the writer. There are degrees of upset. I think they're going a degree too far.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby natraj » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

All well and good, but your question was do we agree or disagree that 30 days' suspension is too harsh, not do we agree or disagree that the writer is a horrible irredeemable racist whose entire career should be destroyed forever while people hurl invective at them.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

I used the word "hyperventilating" specifically in reference to the crucifying going on in my journalism circles - I didn't mean to extend that adjective to the 30 day suspension or other official actions. Apologies for being vague.

So, I think the 30 day suspension is too harsh because I still don't see how a reporter could intentionally make that stupid of a mistake, especially considering that doing it intentionally would offend ESPN's biggest and most beloved meal ticket for the last month (aka Jeremy Lin). Why? Why would anybody do it?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

My assumption.. which is unfair of me.. is that the sort of person who would get a job writing for sports (and get as far as ESPN) is the same sort of person who enjoys playing sports, watching sports, reading about sports, and is not just someone who enjoys sports, but someone who enjoys scouting High Schools for potential professional players when they're through with College sports.

And that sort of person often still thinks racial humor is Funny, and would find such a stealth pun in a headline hilarious. At least in my experience. But I am in Kentucky, so...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:34 pm UTC

Interesting. A couple Knicks blogs have deemed it "completely unacceptable" and the comment threads are full of (non-Chinese) people being indignant on Jeremy Lin's behalf. The focus seems to be on ESPN's (lack of) editorial process.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

It's.. basically what Belial already said. If this was a spoken word thing (See Max Bretos), that's different, really. When someone's just talking and breaks out a saying.. maybe seldom used, but a phrase, saying, whatever.. you can go with the assumption that no real offense was intended and the person misspoke and so on.

A print thing is.. well, first the writer is trying to come up with a catchy title, whether it's funny or interesting or whatever. Then several more individuals are presumably checking it out, not just spell checking but grammar and checking the actual content. No one along the way thought that this was a problem.

Which... it's.. not? Except it is? It honestly doesn't matter if Jeremy Lin was offended or thought it was hilarious or is even aware it happened. And if it wasn't for all the lovely racial history in the US, it.. wouldn't be that much of a problem.

But.. yeah, there probably is a heavy component of guilt causing it to be a thing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby Роберт » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Interesting. A couple Knicks blogs have deemed it "completely unacceptable" and the comment threads are full of (non-Chinese) people being indignant on Jeremy Lin's behalf. The focus seems to be on ESPN's (lack of) editorial process.

I honestly wouldn't have gotten it if there wasn't a laugh track or someone otherwise pointing it out to me. Although it probably was intentional, as SecondTalon and others have mentioned.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby natraj » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

this is such a small thing, really though, i do not know what thread it belongs in! it sort of makes me facepalm and sort of amuses me.

anyway i have been playing drawsomething sometimes, and when i draw pictures that involve people in greater detail than just stick figures, i most often use dark brown or medium-brown for their skin, sometimes varying to use the lighter pinkishypeach colour or the lighter tan. i have noticed though that on basically every occasion where the supplied letters allow for it, my partner, once i start drawing the person, will start guessing things like "af" "bla" until, presumably, they realize they can't spell black or african or whatever they were going for there.

... often then they attempt to guess for some black celebrity next. but i never pick the pop culture ones because i don't know anything about pop culture so usually what i am drawing is just Some Generic Person to illustrate the word, like, "blind" (i drew a man with sunglasses and a white cane and a dog with a harness; they guessed "bla" and "jayz" before sitting there for a few minutes and finally guessing blind) or "fairy" (i drew a person with blue hair and large butterfly wings and a skirt made out of leaves, holding a wand with a star at the end, they guessed "afro" and "beyo" before managing to come up with the answer, i did not know beyonce had fairywings!)

anyway it kind of saddens and amuses me that everyone assumes the only reason i could possibly be drawing people with dark instead of light skin is because i am attempting to call attention to their dark skin, and i suspect it therefore takes them far longer to guess than it would if i had drawn a light-skinned person, because they are clearly sitting there trying to figure out what word for Black Person they should be guessing, or which famous Black Person this is, when really it is just a fairy.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

User avatar
Aaeriele
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

natraj wrote:anyway it kind of saddens and amuses me that everyone assumes the only reason i could possibly be drawing people with dark instead of light skin is because i am attempting to call attention to their dark skin, and i suspect it therefore takes them far longer to guess than it would if i had drawn a light-skinned person, because they are clearly sitting there trying to figure out what word for Black Person they should be guessing, or which famous Black Person this is, when really it is just a fairy.


:/ whitewashing sucks.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

User avatar
natraj
Posts: 1895
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC
Location: away from Omelas

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby natraj » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:25 am UTC

one of my friends sent me a fantastic lovely box of lush bath things for christmas. bath melts and bath bombs and bubble bars and such. i don't have a bathtub of my own so i brought the box to my partner's house because i take baths at his house when i want baths cuz a) he has a bathtub and b) fewer people in his house so it is easier to find times when nobody is home and i can not worry about taking up an hour of bathroom time.

anyway when we got to my partner's house i forgot the actual christmassy box of Things in the car, so halfway to the house i turned around to go get them out of the car again. some old white woman saw me getting the box out of the car and actually turned her car around to follow us into the alley behind my partner's house, and ask me (in a very Ashamed Schoolteacher voice) if i had just taken that box out of the car and if it wasn't mine. like, followed me into the alley just to accuse me of stealing a christmas present out of a car.

SO ASHAMED. like black people wander around like THE GRINCH trying to thwart christmas.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

User avatar
Aaeriele
Posts: 2127
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby Aaeriele » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:48 am UTC

-_-
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

User avatar
fyrenwater
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:26 am UTC
Location: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
Contact:

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby fyrenwater » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am UTC

natraj wrote:turned her car around to follow us into the alley behind my partner's house


"Excuse me! I'm stalking you and I was concerned that you're a terrible person. ARE YOU A TERRIBLE PERSON BECAUSE I'M WATCHING AND FOLLOWING YOU. I AM AN HERO."

That's so absurd, she's like her own strawman.

I'm sorry you had to put up with that. The thought processes of some people!
...It made more sense in my head.

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1453
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: [SAFESPACE] People of Colour

Postby mathmannix » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

Forget giving somebody the benefit of the doubt; that story reads to me like someone letting their prejudices override common sense. I mean, if it was your car, then you probably locked it after you got the present out, but even if you didn't, you probably didn't act like a thief.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests