Wearing ascots and playing tennis

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rowing, in terms of manliness, is most comparable to:

Football (soccer)
10%
Rugby
17%
Cricket
24%
Tennis
29%
Scrabble
21%

Total votes: 63

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Wearing ascots and playing tennis

Postby Twasbrillig » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:21 am UTC

So my girlfriend has got me convinced (read: has asked me to and thus I jumped at the chance) to join the rowing team at school. To me, it seems like a good sport - requires a lot of strength, concentration, and skill. Unlike the traditional sports, one needs to multitask whilst working so hard that thinking isn't all that appealing.

However, it seems that the general population's view of rowing is like [snobby rich accent]wearing a sweater vest, eating buttered scones for tea, and talking to your upper-class acquaintances in Alpha Alpha at Yale, whilst at the country club, about Daddy's most recently purchased corporation.[/accent]

(Roobboooootttt hoouuussseee!)

So, what does everyone think of rowing?
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:25 am UTC

Old world rowing or Polynesian rowing? Sculling, I believe?

Oh wait, Polynesian is canoe paddling. Rowing should get your upper body in shape! Just wait until some small Asian guy drop kicks you, however... It's not that bad, not as the stereotypes on yachting and other sports methinks.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:29 am UTC

Olympic-style rowing. Sculling.

The difficult kind.

Here.
Last edited by Twasbrillig on Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:32 am UTC

Yeah, me knows what you've mean. I've seen it in stereotypical movies on upper-class snobs and the lower class people that steal the girls away, and on wikipedia.

Did I just say snobs? It's just the Hollywood stereotype, sorry.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:54 am UTC

You're swaying the poll by having tennis in the thread title.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:59 am UTC

Upper body strebnth = manly. Does'nt it also work the hell outta your calves? I go on the rowing machine at the gym, but maybe I just have weaker calves.

Then again I remember watch this bitty on the news about a girls rowing team, who were pretty average but couldn't go to a competition because they couldn't afford to pay the maintenance for the boat.

I don't see how thats relevant, I'm confused.
=]

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:35 am UTC

__Kit wrote:I go on the rowing machine at the gym, but maybe I just have weaker calves.

I, on the other hand, have massive calves. I do a lot of rollerblading, and I used to bike a lot.

OCR

Postby OCR » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:43 am UTC

Last year I came up to Boston to watch a friend row on the Charles. Boston features the most aggressive turn in the sport of Olympic rowing apparently, I watched the Chinese national team eat it. Hillarious.
"Well if you excuse me I'm going to go on an overnight drunk and in 10 days I'm going set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it."

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:32 am UTC

i'm reading a bio of princess grace kelly.
her dad was irish, so the british snobs wouldn't let him into their rowing competition. so he won the olympic medal for rowing, became a millionaire,
got his kid to win the british race, his other kid became top movie star and princess.. maybe a bit of overcompensating.
joe kennedy was similar type.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:36 am UTC

it takes a lot of muscle and endurance but i wouldnt call it manly. if you want a "manly" sport i would say boxing or wrestling.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:45 am UTC

cricket imo

nowhere even close to rugby.

and one person voted rugby...... i'm hoping they've played rugby to the point that their brain damage caused them to select that option. And sorry but rugby is far more manly than Futbol.

Rugby players don't get away with dramatizing "injuries" the way Futbol players do. Nothign against futbol i love to watch it, and play it, but not even comparable to rugby either.

Sorry, did i mention i like rugby?
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:57 am UTC

I voted rugby. I mean, it's very difficult and has a lot of false connotations i.e. it's easy, elitist, brainless, etc.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:23 am UTC

Tennis, because I read Alpha Omicron's post about swaying the vote. So obviously, I had to pick tennis.

Um...I don't know if I would call rowing "manly," but it's a vigorous sport, I guess.

Now, kayaking...that's fun.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

kcr

Postby kcr » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:26 am UTC

A lot of my friends row. It's intense. I don't know about the "manliness" levels, since they're all girls, but it's a serious activity and lots of hard work. Don't stick with it unless you like it.. one friend is great at crew but hates it. It makes her slightly miserable.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:28 am UTC

kcr wrote:Don't stick with it unless you like it.. one friend is great at crew but hates it. It makes her slightly miserable.

I think the girlfriend idea will help.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

So I totally just flipped a quad. In a harbour.

That's quite embarrassing, for those of you who aren't into the sport. It happens every once in a while, but not very often.

I was in stroke seat, and the guy behind me (who was in a quad for the first time) caught a crab, and when he forced his blade out of the water caught mine, out of time, and flipped it over.

Always fun.

Benitosimies

Han leika Magnhild av nykkens arm...

Postby Benitosimies » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

I have to say that what I think of when I think of rowingis ... not that.

TRM

Postby TRM » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

Gah, I'm jealous. I've always wanted to take up rowing as I actually have fun sitting a rowing machine in the gym for 30 mins or so. Rivers and lakes are always nice as well.

I put rugby though, I really do think it's a manly sport. It builds up a lot of muscle and takes so much concentration.
PandaFluff wrote:I learned a few lessons from this... Don't trust epiphanies that come from a General Ecology lecture.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

I vote Rugby. Rowing is a lot harder than it looks. I think. I haven't actually tried it, but I'm pretty sure it's hard.
This space intentionally left blank.

yelly

Postby yelly » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

Well, the manliness of rowing definitely depends on where you are. Rowing for your college in England is pretty manly, but in the states I doubt it is the same. It is not, by any means, comparable to the manliness of Rugby (disclaimer: I play rugby, may start playing internationally this year <= not actually saying much, the Israeli youth team just take whoever has heard of the sport).
Ridiculous upper body strength is pretty cool though.
"So there are 3 guards, one always tells the truth, one always lies and the third answers randomly"
"But I only want to know the fucking time!"

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

sillybear25 wrote:I vote Rugby. Rowing is a lot harder than it looks. I think. I haven't actually tried it, but I'm pretty sure it's hard.

On the rowing team, we have a few people who defected from the provincial-champion cross-country team to join the rowing team.

The cross-country slogan at our school revolves around the idea of "You haven't felt pain until you've run cross-country."

After joining the rowing team and finding out what it's about, they laugh at the cross-country runners that think they are in pain.

Nero

Postby Nero » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Rowing is hell tough. Mostly because you have to get up fucken early and spend time in the cold water. Rowing is a big sport here, though I never got into it because I wanted to play rugby and have a life.

Frh

Postby Frh » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

I don't know if any of the people who voted for rugby have ever played, and if they have played, if they have ever rowed properly. In terms of manliness, they are nowhere near! Rowing is bloody hard work, but honestly.. the rugby world cup is on at the moment. Check it out.

yellie

Postby yellie » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

Frh wrote:I don't know if any of the people who voted for rugby have ever played, and if they have played, if they have ever rowed properly. In terms of manliness, they are nowhere near! Rowing is bloody hard work, but honestly.. the rugby world cup is on at the moment. Check it out.

Coming from an area that lives and breathes rugby, I'd be inclined to agree.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:27 am UTC

Nero wrote:Rowing is hell tough. Mostly because you have to get up fucken early and spend time in the cold water.

We have practices after school and don't go in the water intentionally, it's quite polluted.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:54 am UTC

You mean crew, right? I've never heard it called rowing. :D

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

id say rowing is very manly but also very upper class, im not entirely sure which is the important point for twas as he asks about manliness but then discusses poshness, the two are not mutually exclusive as proven by sir redgrave.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Re: Wearing ascots and playing tennis

Postby Vekter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:27 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:(Roobboooootttt hoouuussseee!)

>.> You win.

Also, I think she's trying to turn you into a wuss. Go play Football or a real sport like that.
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

BVD

Postby BVD » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

I'm assuming rowing = what I know as crew, and I voted soccer. I was a soccer player and runner, and my friends that row put in longer hours and more work than I ever had to, but I don't think crew's quite up there with rugby. Not do you only have to be strong and fast and have good endurance for that, but you get friggin pounded. Still, thumbs up for rowing - I'd join a team if we had one here

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:
kcr wrote:Don't stick with it unless you like it.. one friend is great at crew but hates it. It makes her slightly miserable.

I think the girlfriend idea will help.

Do you make this stuff up? 'Cause you should write teen movie scripts. Pursuing a sport for reasons like this can only lead to ... well, teen movie hijinks and faux-drama.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

I've done some paddling in an outrigger canoe. It's a six person boat with 5 rowers and one steerer. It's interesting because you've only got a paddle on one side and an odd number of rowers, so every 12 strokes, the middle person calls out, and you switch sides. I'd rate it manlier than crew, but that just because of my bias.
This space intentionally left blank.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 pm UTC

Vekter wrote:Also, I think she's trying to turn you into a wuss.

I'm already a total wuss.

Oh, and Azrael: we broke up.

(dun dun dunnnnn)

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:Oh, and Azrael: we broke up.

Further proof that I am a relationship guru.

Oort

Postby Oort » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

I'm on my school dragonboat team, which is kind of similar to rowing. And yes, it is very manly.

Aeltar

Postby Aeltar » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

Scrabble! Because the recreational manipulation of words and letters is the fucking manliest thing on earth.

Unless, that is, it's longboat rowing. Then it's equivalent to being Q.
functionally_stupid wrote:If you ever feel the urge to say "I love you" to a friend, a lover, a parent, who-the-fuck-ever - say it. SAY IT. I cannot stress this enough.

Return to “General”