Unscientific Allergy Questionnaire

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Plasmic-Turtle

Unscientific Allergy Questionnaire

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

So, I've been feeling quite interested in allergic reactions, mainly because they've been bugging me lately. You hear a lot of things in the media about how being exposed to mess and allergens as a child might prevent you developing allergies, and how breastfeeding protects from a range of things, including chances of allergy-development. A friend from Texas was saying to me the other night how she feels that everyone here in New Zealand seems to have an allergy or food intolerance whereas she barely heard about them back in Texas.

Now I could look up some papers from reputable journals... but why would I, when I can carry out my own unscientific research based on anectodal evidence from people on the fora? More seriously, I will look up some papers later, but I'm rather interested to hear your responses to this specific set of questions, if you feel like taking part. Just answer what you feel comfortable with, if there are some questions you'd prefer not to.

1. Do you have any allergies or food intolerances that you are aware of? If so, list them.
2. What is your country of birth?
3. Your ethnicity?
4. Were you breastfed, bottle fed, or a combination?
5. Would you describe your childhood home as messy (e.g. often quite a bit of dust/junk left about), average, or very clean (parents who insisted everything be perfect)?
6. Did you spend a lot of time outside as a child?
7. Did you have pets growing up? What kinds?
8. Are you aware of your parents having any allergies? What allergies?
9. If you have siblings, are you aware of them having any allergies?
10. Is there anything else you feel might be relevant to mention?

My answers:
1. I'm allergic to the cold ("cold urticaria"), and also get bad hayfever at times though I'm still unsure of the cause: I don't think it's pollen as it's neither seasonal nor predictable, it seems to be something in dust or mildew perhaps but it's very hard to tell.
2. New Zealand.
3. European (English) descent.
4. Bottle-fed.
5. Messy. Books and dust all over the place.
6. Yes: played in the garden, park, beach, dug big mud-holes in the lawn...
7. Dogs, cats, chickens, guinea pigs, monarch butterflies and the occasional blackbird or sparrow that had fallen out of its nest.
8. Mother allergic to voltaren (medication).
9. Sister allergic to penicilin (she was breast-fed, different to me).

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Re: Unscientific Allergy Questionnaire

Postby bluebambue » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

1. I am allergic to grass, dust, pollen, cats, and dogs. These are fairly severe.
2.USA
3. White (Norwegian to be exact)
4. Breastfed
5. Average
6. No
7. yes. Mostly cats, but also a dog for a couple of years
8. My parent do not have allergies, but a lot of my aunts and uncles have food allergies.
9. my siblings have mild dust/pollen allergies.
10. nope
edit: born through the birth canal (since discussions in future posts say it may matter.)
Last edited by bluebambue on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

casoid

Postby casoid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

1. Allergic to cat and dog air. Also certain food additives and sweeteners, particularly those found in Diet Coke, etc. Can't really be more specific unfortunately.
2. UK (Northern Ireland)
3. White
4. Combination
5. Average - not too shambolic, not too fastidious.
6. Yes.
7. A cat.
8. Nil.
9. Yes, but no significant allergies.
10. I don't believe I actually developed much of a cat/dog allergy until I moved out. Perhaps that's just when I noticed the correlation?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

1. Do you have any allergies or food intolerances that you are aware of? If so, list them.
Nothing that I'm aware of.

Belgium

3. Your ethnicity?

White

Bottle fed, I think

5. Would you describe your childhood home as messy (e.g. often quite a bit of dust/junk left about), average, or very clean (parents who insisted everything be perfect)?
Very clean

Average, I think

Till around age 8, nothing save a goldfish. After that various kinds: canaries, rabbits, chickens, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, cats, dogs, ducks. But even before age 8 I spent a lot of time at my grandparents who had a dog, ferrets and a lot of birds.

Not that I'm aware of. Grandfather has a shellfish allergy though.

Not that I'm aware of.

No
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

existential_squirrrel

Postby existential_squirrrel » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:1. Do you have any allergies or food intolerances that you are aware of? If so, list them.
3. Your ethnicity?

1. Yes- latex allergy :( I am more allergic to mosquito and ant bites than the average person. One ant bite is enough to make me stay awake itching it until I can find the Benadryl :x
2. USA
3. White- German, English, Welsh, Italian
4. I was breastfed
5. somewhere between messy and average- it was never anywhere near spotless, as I got into everything as a youngster. The house has gotten cleaner as I've gotten older
6. I spent a lot of time outside as a child, and I still do
7. I have had cats, birds, fish, rabbits, hamsters. Currently I have birds, a cat, and a fish. I volunteer at a primate sanctuary with all kinds of monkeys, badgers, kinkajous, foxes, mountain lions, turtles/tortoises, raccoons, opossums, and exotic birds
8. Mom is allergic to many grains, bird dander, scented air fresheners, and certain carpet cleaners... I'm not talking your usual sneezy, watery eyes- I'm talking full blown anaphylactic reactions that could kill her. She may also be allergic to strawberries- she was a young child, but has never eaten them since then. Mom carries an Epi-Pen wherever she goes
9. not applicable- I have no siblings
10. I developed my allergy to latex late in 2010 at 19 y/o. Mom developed her allergies in her late 30's. Her father was allergic to any kind of animal fur from the time he was a little kid.

*How could I forget about my mosquito bites? oh ya, the Benadryl finally wore off :P
Last edited by existential_squirrrel on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

GenovaHeightsGhost

Postby GenovaHeightsGhost » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:30 pm UTC

several preservatives (Sodium benzoate and others)

United States of America

3. Your ethnicity?
White/Ashkenazi Jew (Take your pick.)

Breastfed

On the cleaner side of average

Yes.

I had rats, fish, and a hamster. Now I have a cat.
My mother was allergic to dairy and eggs as a child and is currently allergic to cephalosporins, bee stings, and something unidentified. She is still sensitive to eggs and dairy sometimes.

Sister 1: various types of pollen and animal dander (too many to list)
Sister 2: None
Sister 3: various types of pollen and animal dander; previously allergic to eggs, mango, and grouper
Brother: previously allergic to eggs, dairy, and peanuts
My additive allergies didn't onset until I was twelve years old, while two of my siblings outgrew their allergies fairly quickly.
My two sisters with allergies are currently undergoing immunotherapy ("allergy shots").
Princess Marzipan wrote:You have chosen WRONG.

*presses button*

Enjoy the spiked snake pit!

rigwarl wrote:
Glmclain wrote: I'm pretty liberal, and just screw everything.

Those damn liberals and their crazy sexual morals.

Newt

Postby Newt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

1. Brittlebush, probably some pollen that I haven't identified.
2. USA
3. Austrian/German/Italian
4. Both
5. Average
6. Probably more than most.
7. Gerbils (age 5) , dog (age 8 )
8. Mother, cats.
9. No.
10. No

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

General pollen/mold - when I was tested in Texas, I was pretty much allergic to every plant that they tested, including ragweed. At the time I could barely function. After a two year regimen of allergy shots every week, they're now mid- to low-grade annoyance, primarily when the seasons change.

USA

3. Your ethnicity?
Han Chinese

Both.

Both of them were fairly clean. Regular vacuuming and the like.

I don't remember if I did before three. When I was three, we moved to a home that had a good sized forest (cedar and Douglas fir) extending past the backyard, and I spent a moderate amount of time running around in it.

Just a few fish. We got a dog when I was 12 or so.

General pollen/mold.

One younger sister - general pollen/mold as well as cefaclor.

I'm lactose sensitive, and I suspect my dad is too. But this is definitely attributed to being genetically Chinese.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:16 am UTC

1. Allergies/intolerances: Buttloads, all minor-to-medium. Oral allergy syndrome (pollen and food), plus dust, citric acid, walnuts/pecans, and a handful of other bits of botany. All allergies were acquired after about 15 years old.

2. Born in Canada, West Coast.

3. Ethnicity is white/generic mixed-Euro descent, plus a smattering of First Nations.

4. Breast-fed for the first two months, then bottle-fed.

5. Childhood home was as spotlessly clean as my mother could manage with three kids running around messing it up.

6. Spent a lot of my early childhood outside, became more of a homebody toward my teens.

7. We had cats when I was very young, then dogs after that.

8. My adoptive and birth parents have no significant allergies that I know of, but see the next couple of answers...

9. Adoptive brothers have no significant allergies, except one brother developed allergies to strawberries and cats (simultaneously) as an adult. One genetic half-sister was born with an assload of food allergies but went through successful desensitisation treatment to get rid of all but one (spinach, which I'm fine with). Another half-sister (other side of genetic family) recently developed citrus and walnut allergies as an adult.

10. Other relevant things: my birth mother is systemically very sensitive, like me (subclinical sensitivities to sensory stimuli in general, including internally-generated stimuli [e.g. emotions]). My birth father isn't so much, but he's an immunological disaster zone: AS, iritis, RA, and those are only the ones I can think of right now. :|
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:33 am UTC

Is allergic to dust, tree pollen, ragweed, and cats. Does not tolerate dairy or whole wheat products. Tolerates only mild amounts of acidic foods, fatty foods, and insoluble fiber.

United States.

3. Your ethnicity?
Caucasian.

Bottle-fed.

Average.

Spent some time outside, but not a lot. Declined with age.

Owned two cats and some fish.

None.

None.

No.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:38 am UTC

1. Do you have any allergies or food intolerances that you are aware of? Asthma from dust, mold; hayfever from cats if I get very close to them (like put my face in their fur), unspecified pollen, and newly printed newspapers.
2. What is your country of birth? Sweden.
3. Your ethnicity? Swedish.
4. Were you breastfed, bottle fed, or a combination? I honestly don't know.
5. Would you describe your childhood home as messy (e.g. often quite a bit of dust/junk left about), average, or very clean (parents who insisted everything be perfect)? Messy enough.
6. Did you spend a lot of time outside as a child? Yes
7. Did you have pets growing up? What kinds? Yes, cats, fish.
8. Are you aware of your parents having any allergies? What allergies? My mother has hayfever.
9. If you have siblings, are you aware of them having any allergies? My sister has a metric fuck-ton of food allergies. And she's also got type 1 diabetes (which is auto-immune)
10. Is there anything else you feel might be relevant to mention? Allergies developed late, late teens, early 20s.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:43 am UTC

1. Only hayfever (probably grass pollens).
2. Britain
3. White British (my UK census category)
4. I believe mostly breast-fed, but I probably had some bottle feeding too
5. On the messy side, but not too bad.
6. Until I was about 10, yes, loads. After that, not so much.
7. Many pets. 2 dogs, various cats (always at least two at a time), hamster, gerbil, mice, snakes, fish.
8. My father also has hayfever. My mother has none that I know of.
9. My sister does not have any allergies.
10. Allergies developed in my teens, and have started to fade in the last couple of years (I'm now 26, almost 27).
Last edited by Adacore on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:46 am UTC

I am slightly lactose intolerant, but that developed around age 20. Everything else is just a side effect of different medical issues (I'm intolerant to nightshade plants and citric acid due to arthritis).

USA

3. Your ethnicity?
Caucasian

Breastfed

Average/messy

A pretty good amount of time, yes

Cats since age 5, dogs since 13

None

None

Nope
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:14 am UTC

1. Do you have any allergies or food intolerances that you are aware of? If so, list them. Not that I'm aware of, but.... (See #10)

2. What is your country of birth? United States

3. Your ethnicity? Caucasian

4. Were you breastfed, bottle fed, or a combination? I...don't know. I doubt I was entirely bottle fed, though.

5. Would you describe your childhood home as messy (e.g. often quite a bit of dust/junk left about), average, or very clean (parents who insisted everything be perfect)? Extremely messy. It borders on ridiculous, really.

6. Did you spend a lot of time outside as a child? I spent some time outside, though now, not very much.

7. Did you have pets growing up? What kinds? I've always had cats, and a dog for most of that time.

8. Are you aware of your parents having any allergies? What allergies? My mom is allergic to pine nuts and lobster.

None that I'm aware of.

The one and only time I had scallops, I was sick for the entire night, so for the longest time, I was convinced that I was allergic to them. My mom likes to insist that I'm not. I guess it could've just been food poisoning, or something. *Shrug* Also, I've never been able to definitively test the possibility that I inherited her pine nut allergy.
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:26 am UTC

Aightynine wrote:9. If you have siblings, are you aware of them having any allergies? None that I'm aware of.

No siblings, or no allergies? Or was that intentionally ambiguous? :D

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:27 am UTC

3. Your ethnicity?

1. No, I do not have any allergies or food intolerance of which I am aware (although I bloat so unreasonably after eating anything that I'm seriously starting to think I might have some kind of gluten allergy, or at least an intolerance/allergy of some kind).
2. I was born in the USA
3. My ethnicity is mixed, but primarily caucasian
4. I was breastfed
5. My childhood home was average leaning towards a little messy, but not terrible. :p
6. I practically lived outside for much of my childhood.
7. Growing up, I had various pets/farm animals at various times: Dogs, cats, horses, chickens, cows, guineas, rabbits, ducks, turkeys and pigs (none of these indoors though).
8/9. My mother and one of my brothers have simply terrible allergies year round, with symptoms similar to very very very severe hayfever much of the time. No idea what to.
10. When my sister and I were younger (6-8ish, I think) we found ourselves in a public restroom with no liquid (or any other) soap. Not washing your hands was unthinkable, so we scavenged under the counter and used some pink stuff we _thought_ was soap. Turns out, it was raspberry lotion, and ever since that time - never before it - we have had (MD diagnosed) horrible eczema, exacerbated by cold weather, and extremely sensitive skin. The effect has lessened with age, especially for me; at one time there literally was no product which could touch my hands, arms, or face without me immediately having a nasty allergic reaction, burning, itching, lobster red skin, the works. In conjunction with this my hands were constantly extremely cracked, to the point of constantly bleeding (cold weather and any kind of skin care product were horrible for it, as was water). Now it's just in the very cold winter months if my skin is exposed to cold air very much (it's OK if I stay inside!). My sister's eczema is also getting better - hers did the same cracked/bleeding thing for a time, but mid-puberty switched to more classic eczema with bubbling, burning, peeling, itching, weeping sores. All because of that darned raspberry lotion. Iccccccccccccccck.

Probably too much detail on 10 but there you go. :p

Edit: Everyone in my family except my father is very allergic to poison ivy/oak/sumac; my father could roll in it or sleep in it and nary a problem.
Last edited by Cheezwhiz Jenkins on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

Aightynine

Postby Aightynine » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Aightynine wrote:9. If you have siblings, are you aware of them having any allergies? None that I'm aware of.

No siblings, or no allergies? Or was that intentionally ambiguous? :D

XD Whoops, I meant allergies. Given that my brother is sitting right next to me, I'd have to be pretty dense not to know he exists. :P
This is my Tumblr, for the curious and/or bored. It mostly consists of random things/ideas I find interesting* and pictures of my friend Catherine.

*This might include but is not limited to: science, my research experiences, gender, feminism.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:00 am UTC

girlfriend of izawwlgood (allergies of doom...ish)

1. Do you have any allergies or food intolerance that you are aware of? If so, list them.
The following foods, substances and creatures cause inner ear itching, tongue/hand/eyelid/throat swelling, hives and or mouth itchiness (i very much resemble a dog with peanut butter in it's mouth, resisting the desire to rake at myself with a fork... sometimes i succumb): peaches, nectarines,a variety of sharp cheddar cheeses, blue cheeses, plums, pineapples, carrots, beets, celery, all tree nuts (anaphylaxis), soy milk (tofu is fine), cherries, apricots, potatoes, and milk chocolate. All dander emitting animals (i look longingly at baby kitties) Fresh cut grass, strong perfume, pollen, incense, sulfa based drugs, weed (being in the same room causes joyous wheezy fun) and the whole codeine family.
USA
3. Your ethnicity?
Mother: Irish+Scottish+Norwegian+Icelandic & Father:Polish+Russian
Bottle (bolt-ons don't make for great lactation)
Spotless
Tons (she who falls out of trees, goes water skiing, rides horses, and runs back inside periodically to use an inhaler)
Dog, Fish, Pony, Guinea Pig, Frogs, and Newts
Mother:none Father:mine+adhesives and wool.
Brother: mine+ intolerance of any uncooked fruit or vegetable, iodine, shellfish, and wool.
I fear any offspring I produce may have to live in a bubble.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 am UTC

1. None of which I am currently aware, outside of Poison Ivy [which immunity to that is .. somewhat rare, I think]. And I've eaten enough of the primary food allergies (peanuts, shellfish, wheat, etc) that I have no fear of eating pretty much anything set in front of me.
2. USA
3. Predominately White
4. A combination, I think?
5. Messy, yes. Organized mess. Dusted once every three months whether it needed it or not.
6. As an under 8, sure. Over 8, books were way the hell more interesting.
7. Multiple dogs of varying breeds, multiple farm cats of.. uh.. farm cat breed.
8. Father, None of which I am aware, outside of your Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac, which.. again, I believe immunity is rare. Mother, same with the addition of grass pollen making her minor respiratory discomfort, mostly in the form of sneezing and a runny yet stopped up nose.
9. None of which I am aware, outside of your Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac blah blah blah.
10. I grew up on a crop farm in rural Kentucky. Pollen like crazy. Had a cooling tube that was connected to the outside - when the fan was on, it drew air in, ran it underground for a few hundred feet or so, pushed it into the house, no filtering.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:14 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:1. None of which I am currently aware, outside of Poison Ivy [which immunity to that is .. somewhat rare, I think].
Wait, we have to mention poison ivy/oak/sumac and suchlike? What about chiggers?! What about no-see-ums?!?!?!

>starts survey all over again to include all the itchy outdoors things<
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:20 am UTC

That's.. actually kinda why I mentioned them. They're the only common allergen I know of that has a couple of lucky bastards out there who are immune. I'm not aware of anyone who's immune to chigger or mosquito bite welts and so on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:31 am UTC

I don't know if I'm immune to poison ivy or oak, as they're not endemic to this region.

I'm virtually immune to mosquito bites, though (I'll get a very small bump that doesn't get red and doesn't really itch very much), but that's from frequent exposure. There is A LOT of mosquitoes where I live (like go for a 30 minute walk and a dozen of bites). Luckily, they carry no diseases or parasites.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:36 am UTC

Seasonal allergies, pollen, dairy, dogs - all handled by Zyrtec. I also have severe skin reactions to mangos (though I can eat them as long as I cut them up and don't dive into one face first) and poison ivy. I also briefly went gluten free because my doctor suspected celiac disease - and while that ended up not being the case, I do feel physically better when I do not eat gluten. I don't have the will to give it up.

Northeastern US

3. Your ethnicity?
part Ashkenazi Jew, part generic American (heritage comes from England, Sweden, and Native Americans)

breastfed until I was 1

messy, messy, messy

tons. We had lots of woods and a creek that I tromped through

fish, gerbils, tree frogs, iguana, ferrets, a cockatiel, and got a dog when I was 16. Now I have a cat.

Mom has seasonal allergies. Dad has nothing.

Brother has none.

A lot of my so called "allergies" were later attributed to having cancer. Lymphoma causes itching. If you have unexplained itching, demand a chest x-ray. I could have been diagnosed 3 or 4 years earlier with early stage cancer instead of late stage - and lymphoma is one of the most common young adult cancers (I am 23).

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 am UTC

Urushiol, nickel, penicillin, your face (jk)

USA

3. Your ethnicity?

White (Polish)

Bottle

Pretty clean (and I just spent about 8 hours cleaning my own house)

Yeah. Probably 60/40 outside/inside. Maybe 70/30. That changed as video games got better/more interesting to me.

Dags

My dad is allergic to chocolate. Hmm... I think there's more that I'm forgetting...

Two of my older brothers have seasonal allergies (pollen et al). There's probably more I'm missing here as well...

I get poison ivy, nickel contact dermatitis, hives from penicillin, and rosacea. My skin sucks. Although some people say my skin is soft. My ex-gf always said so, and sometimes I'll high five somebody and they're like, "Dude, your hand is soft!" Which is 1.) weird because I don't baby my skin whatsoever (in fact, I'm usually quite happy tearing it up) and 2.) unknown to myself because I touch with my own skin, and I can't find (or don't notice) any significant differences in other peoples' skin. Anyway, I think I got it all from my mother, who also has sensitive skin.

Ok, so not all of that was relevant. Deal! :)
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:14 am UTC

Cats, severe, if I touch them no big deal, but if I then touch my face my eyes start to itch and get quite red; dogs only if I haven't been around them for a long time; oak pollen, severe; some other pollens mildly;

USA

3. Your ethnicity?
Norwegian, Bohemian, other assorted European; general mutt.

Bottle AFAIK

Average

Spent much time outside getting dirty and enjoying nature.

Yes. Dogs.

Mom: None I can think of. Dad: Shellfish, though developed later in life.

Sister is allergic to some variety of antibiotic, though I don't think it's been sold in the USA for a some years.

I had allergy shots for a number of years as a child. A lot of the things included in my serum have apparently lessened in regards to reaction, from my Mother's perspective at least, as I was too young to notice. Cat was not included and thus I'm still quite allergic to them.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:53 am UTC

1. I'm allergic to antiperspirants and some deodorants. I'm not sure specifically what I'm allergic to; it could be the aluminum. I also break out mildly when my skin is in contact with nickel (the metal) for an extended period of time. No food allergies. I might be allergic to percocet and similar drugs. I haven't had need to use them frequently enough to determine that conclusively. Coors makes me puke, but that could just be because Coors is a disgusting beverage that doesn't even have the right to call itself a beer.

2. USA

3. European mongrel. Primarily German and Irish.

4. Breastfed, mostly.

5. Average

6. Lots of outside time as a littlun, less outside time as I discovered computers and Nintendo.

7. Yes. Cats and dogs. Cats were mongrels, the pup was a purebred Sheltie.

8. None I'm aware of.

9. My sister has fairly mild standard allergies. Lots of sniffles and coughing during pollen season, that sort of thing. Nothing on the level of "oh crap she's dying" though.

10. Not particularly.

manictheatrefan

Postby manictheatrefan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:21 am UTC

I'm not severely allergic to anything. I do sometimes get mild reactions from eating seafood (which I don't like much anyway, so it's not a problem). I'm slightly allergic to pollen and dust, and I use a prescription nasal spray to alleviate sniffy/stuffy symptoms.
Hong Kong SAR, China.
3. Your ethnicity?
I'm Chinese.
I was exclusively breastfed.
I'd say about average.
Average for a HK kid. It's just kind of gross outdoors in the city. I do think I went to the beach/ocean and hiking in the mountains/poking about on outlying islands more than my peers, though.
My family's never owned any pets.
My mother has allergic rhinitis (to what she's allergic I'm not exactly sure).
My sister has a mild allergy to peanuts. We keep EpiPens around even though she's never had a severe reaction, because the doctor recommended we be prepared. My parents are seriously addicted to peanuts and peanut butter and we eat them all the time. My sister spits out anything that tastes like peanuts—she's been given candy at school that had nuts in it and she spat it right back out.
No, I don't think so.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:27 am UTC

1. Not at present. I had quite bad hayfever as a kid, but it gradually went away during my late teens and it's basically gone now. I think there's something in the dust at my mother's place that sets me off something fierce, but I haven't experienced that anywhere else, so I'm not sure what it is exactly.
2. Australia
3. Half British descent, half Russian
4. Breastfed
5. Messier than average, I think
6. Not really, I was always more the reading (and later, video games and computers) type. I mean, I did outdoorsey stuff on occasion, but not as a regular thing.
7. Yep, an adopted stray cat
8. My father also gets hayfever from time to time
9. Ditto for my sister
10. I managed to score a prescription nasal spray for my hayfever as a kid. It smelled awful.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:58 am UTC

I get allergic reactions if I wear jewelry on my skin (ears, neck, wrists) made of nickel, silver, copper, and pretty much every metal but 14k gold or better. Gold plated doesn't work either. I also get hives in hot weather.

United States, specifically in California

3. Your ethnicity?

Caucasian, Swiss(maternal) and Austrian(paternal) ancestry.

Breastfed almost exclusively.

Average --not spotless but not hugely messy.

Yes, I spent a lot of time gardening, playing with animals listed below, climbing trees, hiking, biking, etc.

Yes. Two dogs, and a cat. Also, the neighbor's chickens, goat, rabbits, snake, guinea pigs, and mice. I think that covers it all.

My mom has mold/pollen allergies, but nothing big. My dad has metal allergies, but not as bad (or noticable?) as mine.

My younger brother gets hay fever and have nasty pollen (pine and oak) allergies. Yay, Texas. He's allergic to rolling in the grass. He gets eczema from skin allergies and the heat.

My brother has asthma, which may be correlated to his hay fever and general "texas plant" allergies. There's a saying that you don't have allergies... and then you move to Texas.
Edit: Oh, and my paternal grandmother is severely allergic to bee/wasp/yellowjacket stings.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:50 am UTC

Mild lactose sensitivity.

United States

3. Your ethnicity?
White, European descent

Bottle fed with soy formula

Above average cleanliness

I spent a bit more time indoors than I did outdoors.

Numerous dogs, a couple cats, two cockatiels, two turtles
Only one species at a time. There was a time we had a dog and two cats, but that period of time was very brief.

My mother is allergic to penicillin, pseudophedrine, and iodine-based contrast dyes (she found that out the hard way).
I've never personally known my father, so I don't know if he's allergic to anything.
My stepfather isn't allergic to anything, to my knowledge.

My sister also has mild lactose sensitivity, as well as a latex allergy.

My mother and stepfather are heavy smokers.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:53 am UTC

Food: Used to be lactose intolerant as a kid but grew out of it. (Still can't drink to much milk or eat to much pudding but can eat most cheese)
Other: Dogs and Cats, There might be others that I still have to discover.

Belgium

3. Your ethnicity?

Caucasian

Bottle fed due to having medical issues after I was just born, Got operated on within 20 hours after I was born.

In between average and very clean so clean :)

I was always outside when the sun shined, rain wasn't a problem either :)

Yes a Dog on doctors advise to help me get over my dogs algergies (Helped but not completely gone yet I still cough my lungs out at the vet :) )

Dad: Grass Pollen.
Mom: Mussels

Brother: House dust mite
Sister: none that I'm aware of
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:11 am UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:1. Do you have any allergies or food intolerances that you are aware of? If so, list them.
3. Your ethnicity?

1) None for certain, potential penicillin allergy.
2) USA
3) Western European
4) Breastfed
5) Messy
6) Yes
7) A succession of gerbils
8) My father has moderate hayfever and lactose intolerance.
9) One brother tested allergic to penicillin, cat dander, dust mites, and assorted other things.
10) My brother's allergy tests were done using the skin-reaction technique, which, as I understand it, tends to generate false positives.

skippysheila

Postby skippysheila » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:43 am UTC

Cats, dust & most pollens: all of them give me hayfever, they're not serious allergies. I didn't have any of these allergies until I moved to the UK age 23. I was allergic to penicillin as a child but seem to have grown out of it. I probably don't tolerate gluten and lactose well, but this isn't something that's been confirmed medically, I've just noticed that I feel better if I avoid them (I have IBS and it's consistently worse if I've been eating bread/pasta/icecream and so on).

Australia

3. Your ethnicity?
White European (the various Celtic bits)/Ashkenazi Jew

Breastfed, but only up to six months old - cows' milk after that.

Average.

Loads - most of my time was spent outside.

Nothing before age 7, althogh other family members & friends had dogs. After that a dog, mice, guinea pigs & birds and I spent quite a bit of time around horses although we didn't own one. Also goats.

My father gets hayfever from pollen. My mother probably has the gluten thing but doesn't want to know because she doesn't want to stop eating it.

One brother, no allergies that I know about.

Edit: typos, and I also forgot to mention that I am also somewhat sensitive to most fragrances used in laundry detergents, lotions and so on - I get very dry & itchy skin, which also started after moving countries. I don't react to things like mosquitos, though - I have watched them biting me, so I know it's not that I'm not getting bitten, but literally nothing happens after that. Some other things create a larger reaction though - I have a permanent lump on my leg from a tick bite, and I've had wasp & ant bites that have left lumps that took years to disappear.
Last edited by skippysheila on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:47 am UTC

I seem to be allergic to something in curry; I have not been able to identify exactly what it is.

England

3. Your ethnicity?

White

Not sure

Probably about average.

Yes.

Dogs and hamsters.

No known allergies.

No known allergies.

This allergy appeared out of the blue when I was about 20. Prior to that, I'd been able to eat curry without any problems, then I just started having a bad reaction to it for no apparent reason.
When playing outside as a child, a fair amount of that time was spent in a field of grain that was next door to my home.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

I'm allergic to cats and Tetracycline (antibiotic often used to treat acne)

USA

3. Your ethnicity?
Pasty white

Breastfed, although I'm sure a little formula was used for occasional convenience.

My house was quite clean

Probably about average. In the summer, the majority of the time was outside, although often I was just reading

No pets :(

My dad has seasonal allergies (not exactly sure what) and is allergic to cats. My mom is actually mildly allergic to mosquito bites (they swell up way worse in her than in most people) and developed a penicillin allergy when she was about 45.

My sister's allergic to cats, my brother has seasonal allergies and is allergic to freshly mown grass

I have very sensitive skin and that could be considered an allergy as I can't be in too much contact with things like wool. Also, when I was small, if I spilled milk on my skin, I'd break out in hives, but I could drink it just fine. Eventually that went away. Oh, and I don't know if this is particularly relevant, but my mother is pretty much resistant to poison ivy.

EDIT: I also wanted to add for the clean/dirty thing that I was the youngest of four kids, so by the time I was born, if I dropped my pacifier, I was lucky if I got it wiped on a shirt before my parents gave it back to me whereas for my sister (the oldest), they would pretty much boil it every time.
Last edited by KestrelLowing on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

noone that i am aware of, however i am increasingly confident that i am allergic to mushrooms (they don't burn everyone's lips and mouths? who knew!?) and also i think i might have a little bit of winter hayfever

UK

3. Your ethnicity?
White

Breastfed until teething i believe

average, although i personally am messy.

quite a bit

a cat until i was 10, a few hamsters

my dad is allergic to Asprin/Ibuprofen

yes i do, but no they don't

i was born naturally, not by ceasarian, which i believe is often linked with allergies.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

Very minor allergy to something unknown (suspect a certain kind of dust, but I've not had professional confirmation). Mostly just sneezing as a symptom.

USA.

3. Your ethnicity?
White, mostly Italian + German with a smattering of other western European countries.

Combination.

Messy. Not tons of clutter, but lots of dust and dirt, and both of my parents have smoked my whole life.

A fair amount, yes. At least every other day, I'd estimate, I made it outside for at least a couple hours.

I had a black lab my whole life growing up, until she died when I was 18. My sister had a cat for a few years before it got ran over by a car. Plus a random amount of fish, hermit crabs, and rabbits.

Neither of my parents have allergies as far as I know. Maybe my mom having a minor one like me, but it's never been diagnosed and she never complains about it.

One sister, no allergies that I'm aware of.

I never had this allergy before I was 19 or 20. Growing up I never had any allergies.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:My brother has asthma, which may be correlated to his hay fever and general "texas plant" allergies. There's a saying that you don't have allergies... and then you move to Texas.

Oh man, quoted for 100% truth. I lived in Seattle in the middle of a forest for the first ten years of my life, no significant allergies. Then we moved to Texas. (Ragweed!!!)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

1. None at all.
2. US
3. White
4. ...I don't actually know.
5. Fairly messy.
6. An average amount.
7. Dogs, cats, turtles, a snake, a chameleon, a tarantula....
8. None that I'm aware of.
9. My younger brother is allergic to some medication that I don't remember the name of.

faranim

Postby faranim » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Minor allergies to dust, pollen, and some dogs/cats. No food or drug allergies.

USA

3. Your ethnicity?
White

Not sure, I would guess bottle

very clean, my mom was a clean freak

Yes

No, unless the goldfish counts

My mom is allergic to dogs/cats and similar seasonal allergies as myself (pollen, dust).
My dad has no allergies that I know of

My sister does not have any food, seasonal, or dust/pet allergies, but she does have a common drug allergy (Penicillin I believe)

Nope!

Return to “General”