Entertaining Yourself in Your Head

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Entertaining Yourself in Your Head

Postby setzer777 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Sorry for the clunky title. What I'm wondering is, how do you entertain yourself when you're in a super boring situation that prevents you from using most (or all) external props? How do you amuse yourself purely inside your own head?

I feel I have a need for this, because my thoughts tend to go fast, and I become very very bored and restless when stuck in certain situations (boring meetings, repetitive chores, long drives). Any suggestions?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Entertaining Yourself in Your Head

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:21 pm UTC

I think of D&D shit, mostly. Designing small towns, that sort of thing. Making a population center, figuring out why exactly a town would be here and not there, determining what services would be needed and what sort of food input would be needed to keep a town like that going, how specialized work could be based on the population and so on.

Otherwise, space ship design. All sci-fi shit, but things like how many rooms would be needed for a respectable crew, how much crew would be needed and so on. Assuming things like, for example, that the engine room alone would need 5 people at all times (2 for a skeleton crew, say) and the rest of the engineering duties would need another five (minor repairs here and there, onsite work, that sort of thing) at three shifts in a day means you're looking at 30 people in the engineering room, double-bunking means 15 rooms for engineering alone, navigation would need blah blah blah you get the idea.

Basically, finding something and going over the tiny details of it. It.. helps if it's something you actually give a shit about.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

There was a very unfortunate time where I had nothing to do but entertain myself in my head. I ended up getting a bunch of Project Euler problems and then trying to solve them. It's tough because you don't have a machine in front of you to code it out. Tougher if you're trying to solve it through pure math (which is something I was also trying to do) instead of just figuring out how you would solve it.

D&D campaign ideas are fun. Also working out scenarios. Ex. http://xkcd.com/337/

Or... right now, a zombie walks into the room. Because it's the zombie apocalypse. What do you do? WHAT IS YOUR ESCAPE PLAN!?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Or... right now, a zombie walks into the room. Because it's the zombie apocalypse. What do you do? WHAT IS YOUR ESCAPE PLAN!?

^This.

Plot out zombies, raptors, etc. It's important to always have a plan.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

Algorithmics. Building and debugging an algorithm in my head. Seeing if I can figure out a way to get its performance up. Checking if a half-remembered implementation of some algorithm and my half-remembered speed are right or wrong.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Any suggestions?

I like to just think about the things I've done or the plans I'm going to do. Usually it passes the time really quickly, and its relaxing. Almost like meditating but instead of clearing my mind I just reflect on my life. The only problem is I get either a stern look like I'm smelling gas deep in thought, or I'm staring off slack-jawed.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

Sometimes I write stories, sometimes I plan things out, sometimes I world build, sometimes I have political arguments in my head, sometimes I make sex fantasies. >_>
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

I make up scenarios for me to play out based on books/tv shows (I generally think what it would be like if I could meet and do something with these characters, and sometimes I give myself superpowers).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

hrabanus

Postby hrabanus » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote: How do you amuse yourself purely inside your own head?

I usually just conduct social experiments. Either I study the people around me extensively or I try to study my own boredom. Introspection is hard.

Sometimes, though, I like to just quietly despair, too. Lots of pathos and internal monologuing, which keep me quite busy and entertained and I also look very thoughtful that way.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

A few things I do when hopelessly bored:

* Construct every conceivable emergency situation which might arise in the next ten minutes. Devise a plan for dealing with them all. Example: I'm in a horribly boring lecture. What kinds of emergencies could happen? Let's see...start with fire (Where are the exits? What if one of the doors is blocked? What if both of the doors are locked?), armed intruder/shooter (depending on where they entered and what they were targeting, do you take him out or sneak out the back door to call 911?), severe weather/tornado (If the sirens go off, which exit should I use and where should I go), flood (Do I grab my whole bag, or just my laptop and livescribe pen?), someone kneels over (which causes of this are most likely? Flu, asthma, choking, heart attack, anaphylactic shock, aneurysm).

* Having exhausted all conceivable emergency situations, what are the inconceivable ones? Alien attack, CIA comes crashing through the windows, Nazis storm the hall, celebrity comes to visit...

* Mull over things that are bothering me like: Why did X do Y the other day? Which often leads to ruminations on human nature, which while of course rather uninnovative do kill time.

* Plan a project/try to solve a problem with a project that I've been keeping in the back of my mind (how can I slow down that motor within this set of constraints?)

* Try and figure out things like: since I'm sitting here against this pillar, would that door hit me if it came off its hinges and fell directly forward? Even more fun if you use the triangular doorstop and the floor tiles to calculate the size of the door rather than guesstimating.

* Pretend I am from the future, but with a twist: I'm not here to save the world; I'm just a grad student studying the lives of students at this little university on a grant...it's time travel, but MUNDANE.
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

If there's any writing anywhere in visual range, I do anagrams based on any >3 letter word there until I can't think of any more. Then I move on to the next word. Then if I'm done with all that, I daydream. Or I stare at walls, ceilings or floors and try to find faces in them, or analyse patterns and see if there's repetition or rotational symmetry or whatnot.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Lady Macaroni

Postby Lady Macaroni » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

I usually end up thinking of things I should've said in previous situations, like comebacks or proper responses or whathaveyou. It's a 20-20 retrospect vision sort of thing, and I can't think of good comebacks at the time to save my life.

If I'm stuck in a car for a trip, I'll usually watch license plates to track which states people are from, or I'll use the letters on them as abbreviations to silly things.

And trying to remember something I forgot is a good, and often practical, time-waster.
Chaoszerom wrote:Someone hit someone else in the face with a fire extinguisher in the first 100 words, I can't let that slide!

It's a good day to kick some ass.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

- Imagines the consequences of acting differently. Includes conversing with an imaginary being on the shoulder of a target person, nuzzling a Companion Cube plush, and wearing unusual costumes/accessories.

- Alters my stride. Only applies if movement is allowed, of course. Has walked on a tightrope, in the military, in a band, with a gigantic spring in my step, confidently, timidly, and in slow motion.

- Hums/sings if noise will be ignored. Can go through notes/lyrics silently while learning a song. Chooses something original occasionally.

- Creates dialogue and events for characters/people. May be from films, literature, internet postings, overheard conversations, and so on. Used to dwell on this frequently with a story in-progress.

- Tests my balance if waiting while standing. Stretches or does other fidgety movements too. Includes meaningless hand signs.

- Plans out game goals and time allotment. Also assists in creating games (which another does to occupy their dull times). Generally creates flavor text, item/card names, and other minute details. Irons out some rules and concepts too.

- Accomplishes tasks with my off-hand or blind. Advises against performing potentially dangerous chores like this, obviously.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:40 am UTC

I try to have a pad of paper so I can look like I'm taking notes, but I might be writing a story, working out a floor plan, making a list of some sort, etc. Or I have a book. For many meetings having some hand work to do is perfectly ok-I know plenty of knitters who do socks galore at meetings. Otherwise I find myself setting up convoluted social scenarios, and imaging what each person would say.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

maxmillean

Postby maxmillean » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:59 am UTC

I'm either singing songs in my head, thinking of things I could try to build, or figuring out the details of the story/comic I'm working on.
"We have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free."
"This is not the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. What we have may just be the end of the beginning."

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:39 am UTC

Some subset of the following: doodling (if I have pen and paper), making up very bad stories, fingering whatever song happens to be stuck in my head at the time.

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:43 am UTC

Designing spacecraft (semirealistc) and hidden bases a fair amount, also scheming up things to build.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:31 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Sometimes I make sex fantasies. >_>

I try not to do this too often because it can be socially compromising when you need to go stand up.

Like other people have said I mostly do imaginary conversations or redo past conversations differently. I like the world-building suggestions, though: I might try to do more of that. Could come in handy for That Novel I'm Going To Write One Day.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:00 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:redo past conversations differently.

This can be depressing though. In your head, you think of the perfect response to what the other person said and you just end up going "Damn, I wish I'd said that at the time".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:59 am UTC

I tell myself stories.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Gypped

Postby Gypped » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:22 pm UTC

When I'm walking around I just people-watch and think of the most absurd action I could do to spoil the moment. It usually results in me desperately trying to suppress my own laughter. Then my thoughts drift to how silly I must for look laughing at nothing, which makes me laugh even more. It's a vicious cycle until I compose myself.

When I'm entirely alone, my thoughts often turn towards vague math and physics problems that may or may not be pertinent to the moment. Example: I'm riding my bike, which is burning calories. Drag upon my body is a function of velocity, so obviously calories burned per second is a function of velocity. Assuming I could be working at a paying job right now, that makes time spent riding my bike a function of money. Money can be used to buy food, which has calories. Preparing that food takes time, and usually time (and money) spent in food preparation determines its nutritional value. What is the optimal combination of food to buy and speed to ride my bike such that money and nutrition are maximized? Additional constraints may be added, such as the fun-factor between bike riding and job. (For the record, I think the solution is lentil soup and riding as fast as humanly possible.)

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm UTC

i have a jukebox in my head, a lot of my favourite music i can remember pretty accurately in my head, also clips from movies and TV shows. unfortunatley my memory for words is pretty bad, so lyrics and direct quotes are normally garbled or just plain wrong. :|

i try to make up jokes, normally wordplay

a couple of years ago (ok 5) i started writing a novel, and i still work on the worldbuilding for it sometimes. although that less often now, the world is pretty fleshed out, far more than it needs to be with the length of the novel i actually have commited to a .doc file.

just thinking up scenarios and stuff, having conversations with myself, etc

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

I perform a lot of Time Murder when I have no access to a SMRTphone or book.
  • I use my Jedi mind tricks to open elevator doors/automatic doors, and close slowly-closing doors.
  • When walking through a (reasonably) busy street I pretend I'm racing against the other pedestrians. I start out in, say, 20th place, and try to overtake my unbeknownst competition until I get to first.
  • If there is background/ambient droning (from, say, a server room or a bus engine) I try to hum the exact pitch of the drone.
  • I imagine people's lives based on their facial expression and body language, as well as looks; estimating where they grew up, what kind of life they've lived, do they have a happy sex life? I wonder if they've killed anyone... etc.
  • I try to alter the lyrics to songs so the song fits with the current chore I am undertaking ("washin' the car/washin' the car" to the tune of Judas Priest's Breakin' the Law, "I. Am. Iron-Ing. Na-na-na-NA-na I-ron-ing" to the tune of Black Sabbath's Iron Man etc.)
  • I narrate my life in real-time
  • I clench my left buttock whenever a blue car passes me. (right if it's red)
  • If I'm in a boring meeting, or somewhere dull, and other humans are interacting. I sit back and pretend I'm David Attenborough, observing the life of the 'greater-spotted human'
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

"I. Am. Iron-Ing. Na-na-na-NA-na I-ron-ing"

Do you also travel forward in time when you iron?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

Indeed he does. At the same speed as the rest of us, though.

Pez Dispens3r wrote:I like the world-building suggestions, though: I might try to do more of that. Could come in handy for That Novel I'm Going To Write One Day.
Just remember to occasionally stop and compare it to Real World Places. And when making a city, never forget that all those people have to live somewhere.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

They will live in capsule homes and enjoy it, damnit!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

And remember that they have to go to the bathroom somewhere.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

And food! it has to come from somewhere. World creation is fun.
418 I'm a teapot

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

And then there's all the trash being generated that has to be removed somehow, even in a society that attempts to put everything to good use you're still going to have some trash generated that needs removal from the living spaces to a dumping ground. In smaller places you can just have a communal garbage pit somewhere that everyone hauls their stuff to, but in more urbanized/modernized spaces you'll need one or more individuals whose job it is to deal with it and possibly specialized equipment to deal with it as well.

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:i have a jukebox in my head, a lot of my favourite music i can remember pretty accurately in my head, also clips from movies and TV shows. unfortunatley my memory for words is pretty bad, so lyrics and direct quotes are normally garbled or just plain wrong. :|

This, plus air guitar (well, air bass but it's close enough). Sometimes it's really annoying because the iPod/Jukebox in my head gets stuck on one song. Like the Addam's Family Movie theme tune. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Also world building is definitely fun.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

My standard fallback is theorycrafting ideal setups in games - usually MMOs or strategy games of some sort. I can absorb myself for quite some time trying to think of new and interesting ways to make money in EVE, or the ideal team composition in Fire Emblem, or weird megaprojects/setups for Dwarf Fortress, etc...though uncertainty from incomplete memory can make it more difficult (which also makes it more fun, since I get to make stuff up!)

Secondary fallback: Hypothetical conversations, one of my favorites being, essentially, "A medievial {knight, peasant} has fallen through a time rift and wound up in the modern day, and the differences in language are sufficiently small we're able to effectively communicate; what weirds them out, and how do I explain it?" Things of that nature.

Other than that, it's pretty much mentally humming songs or trying to think through logically/physically implausible scenarios. What are the consequences of tachyons, hmm?
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:57 pm UTC

typically, after about 5 minutes of "in my head" i'm experiencing the symptoms of a petit mal seizure (i don't actually have petit mal seizures as far as i know....but, it's the best description i've got)

The clinical manifestations of absence seizures vary significantly among patients.[5] [6][7] Impairment of consciousness is the essential ictal element and may be the only clinical symptom, but this is often combined with other manifestations. The hallmark of the absence seizures is abrupt and sudden onset impairment of consciousness, interruption of ongoing activities, a blank stare, possibly a brief upward rotation of the eyes. If the patient is speaking, speech is slowed or interrupted, if walking, he stands transfixed; if eating, the food will stop on his way to the mouth. Usually the patient will be unresponsive when spoken to. In some, attacks are aborted when the patient is spoken to. The attack lasts from a few seconds to half a minute and evaporates as rapidly as it commenced.

i consider it a form of time dilation, i completely lose whatever time period i was "out for", forever...no idea what happened in between point A, and point B. used to happen a lot more during conversations and things when i was younger, just stop mid sentence and not know what i was talking about before hand. that kind of stuff....really handy for wasting time.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:Secondary fallback: Hypothetical conversations, one of my favorites being, essentially, "A medievial {knight, peasant} has fallen through a time rift and wound up in the modern day, and the differences in language are sufficiently small we're able to effectively communicate; what weirds them out, and how do I explain it?" Things of that nature.

Oh wow, I'd forgotten that I do that too. Sometimes it's with a time traveller from the future riding in my passenger seat, or I'm showing a historical figure around town, or I'm best friends with a fictional character. Lots of conversations where I try to explain current technology and why there's an invisible orchestra in my car and why the women are wearing pants. :lol:
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:
DaBigCheez wrote:Secondary fallback: Hypothetical conversations, one of my favorites being, essentially, "A medievial {knight, peasant} has fallen through a time rift and wound up in the modern day, and the differences in language are sufficiently small we're able to effectively communicate; what weirds them out, and how do I explain it?" Things of that nature.

Oh wow, I'd forgotten that I do that too. Sometimes it's with a time traveller from the future riding in my passenger seat, or I'm showing a historical figure around town, or I'm best friends with a fictional character. Lots of conversations where I try to explain current technology and why there's an invisible orchestra in my car and why the women are wearing pants. :lol:

I do this too, but also the inverse. What would I do if I was transported back in time? Most of the time I come to the conclusion that I'd been seen as a freak (5'10" female) and utterly useless as I have very few physical skills and the once I do have rely on other modern technologies (like knitting - I have no clue how to spin). I go back and forth though various scenarios if I tried to hide the fact I'm from the future or I don't, etc. For a while, I did this theorizing with the world of Eragon (silly books - decent framework to start out with) and what would happen if I somehow got into the elves' city and started spouting my knowledge of science and math. I believe the current understanding in that world is up to vacuums. (I always imagine magic users to either be fascinated by science or think it's utter bollocks). Also, with the current magic system set up in the world of Eragon, I would imagine myself trying to explain how to quantify the energy it's going to take to do a certain thing.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
  • I try to alter the lyrics to songs so the song fits with the current chore I am undertaking ("washin' the car/washin' the car" to the tune of Judas Priest's Breakin' the Law, "I. Am. Iron-Ing. Na-na-na-NA-na I-ron-ing" to the tune of Black Sabbath's Iron Man etc.)

:mrgreen: I'm going to have to steal that.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Sometimes I play 2-d sidescroller on whatever I'm looking at.
More often, because I'm in a room with a periodic table, I try and spell stuff.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby Chuff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

I like to take a viewpoint and try to justify it, or if I already have an opinion that I've been trying to justify to myself, work on that.
Also, regret.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

I generally tap out beats on whatever's in front of me. People generally get pissed.
Me- "But, but, it's Dreams by Fleetwood Mac! Listen: bamdabambambamdadabam"
Everyone in the room- "AAARRRRGHH"

manictheatrefan

Postby manictheatrefan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:06 am UTC

I either:
1. (if inside someone's home/something that could be a home) furnish and decorate it as if I were to live there
2. critique people's outfits and come up with ways to improve them (no leggings with sandals, wear a scarf maybe, etc.)
This is a bit of a weird habit since I'm not a visual arty person at all. I can't draw, I'm not particularly fashion-savvy, and I don't have an eye for design or anything.

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:09 am UTC

Chuff wrote:I like to take a viewpoint and try to justify it, or if I already have an opinion that I've been trying to justify to myself, work on that.

I do this quite a bit, but often in the form of a debate with an imaginary person taking the other side of the argument. I can get quite angry with said person sometimes.
Also, regret.

:( I used to do this so I sympathise. Now I have passed into a stage where wistful nostalgia is more common. I suggest trying to reach that stage yourself, it's much more calming ;)
Last edited by Deep_Thought on Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”