Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thorgold

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Postby thorgold » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:54 am UTC

Last night was just bizarre. No meaning, no reason to anything. All I remember is randomly jumping from room to room (in my bedroom door, out the local Best Buy door) and having completely random exchanges with faceless dream people.

It's like my subconcious is taking shrooms while I sleep, or something.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

I don't remember the details very well, but the basic idea of the dream was that I found out I was actually mentally challenged. It made me feel really awful. The one bit I do remember more is that at the end of the dream my IRL former French teacher was mad at me because I hadn't turned in my assignment, which was something to do with dowels rather than anything sensical. I apologized and said I'd have it by the end of the day. Time skipped to the end of the day and indeed I had the dowel thing done. I was going to give it to my teacher, but I somehow got distracted or something and wound up in one of these big jeeps that IRL I rode in when I was in Africa recently. My dad was in it too, as well as one of his friends, and I think there was also a third person, though no identity comes to mind. We drove home and along the way I remembered the dowel assignment and became very worried about what my teacher would say the next day.

Dreams are weird.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

Last night I was testing out the ethernet port in the bedroom of the apartment I just moved into, and couldn't get it to work.

Then at some point in my dream I was setting up my computer and the ethernet worked perfectly.

I was very confused when I woke up.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:13 am UTC

I remember a few nights ago I had a dream within a dream. In the first dream I was staying with an IRL friend in England. Within that dream I was still staying with said friend, but I was out on my own that day for whatever reason. I was having trouble with the train system, which happened to bear essentially no resemblance to the IRL one. At some point I was in a mall, but I wasn't wearing pants (trousers for you British). Still, no one seemed to notice but me, and even I wasn't particularly upset about it. I woke up back into the first dream, wherein my friend was nearby, along with another IRL friend of hers who had apparently come over. I got the sense that somehow they knew what had happened in the second dream, and in fact I think the second friend made a disparaging remark.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

slbub

Postby slbub » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

i was talking to one of my IRL friends about a dream he had or at least a part that part was that he was in Wal-mart and needed to use the bathroom except that there wasn't one the only thing around was a toilet with a shelf directly above it at about waist height thus no one would be able to use said toilet.

a few nights later i was in wal-mart in the fishing section (something i don't like to do) suddenly a friend of mine comes around the corner, he is an avid fire-arm fanatic (like over 70 guns) he greets me with zombie like enthusiasm and floats over to the gun desk proceeding to sell the employee several items of what appered to be expensive jewelry for a few dollars. i then wake up

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

The other day I dreamed I forgot to put on pants, and as I realized someone ran by and took a photo and my forgetfulness became an internet meme.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

darknut

Postby darknut » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

not last night but the night before my dream was reminiscent of this strip

dreamt i was late for school and was franticly gather all my stuff before running out the door and rushing to school
but as i started to wake up but wasnt fully conscious yet realized, its the weekend i can stay in bed
then as i fully woke i remembered, i graduated a month ago
poxic wrote: Take a source of light and cook it up until it lases -- now you have a laser.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:48 am UTC

There was a water park in the middle of a giant lake next to a highway. I kept passing by the park and driving on the highway in a circle... Freudian significance? :P

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Nightmares. Weeping Angels. Did I mention my subconscious tends to look at concepts and say, "Hmm, no, THAT'S not scary, here, let me fix it for you!"

Remember when Amy's hand turned to stone? Instead, they could now touch people and turn them PARTLY to stone (in many ways, much worse than being completely changed, TRUST me on this...) I remember seeing a snake in a field that tried to bite an angel, then all the skin on its head was turned, and it was kind of locked onto the angel, kept trying in vain to use the rest of its body to pull away.

Then there were people whose faces and bodies were turning to stone in patches, yet there was a perception filter. They could scream and call for help all they wanted, and all their friends didn't notice, or thought they were saying everything was all right, etc. Oh, and I think the process was incredibly painful, too.

Thankfully, this didn't work on Brick, because as soon as it started to happen to him, he triggered Berserk with a Corrosive artifact, which broke through the stone. He then blew up a bunch of Angels with a rocket launcher. Oh yeah, I've been playing a LOT of Borderlands lately, thank God.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 am UTC

Last night, I dreamt that I was part of a group that was meditating. Everytime we would start, I would levitate slightly, and disturb everyone else.

Sosekopp

Postby Sosekopp » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

My dream: An Islamist group was having a Drum'n Bass rave party in my neighborhood. Some of my neighbors asked them to turn down the volume, and they were executed on spot. I decided to hide in my basement until it was over.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

I only recall two salient things from my dream last night. The first: I was in a video game world of some sort, and had run out of weapons. So I picked up one of those heavy outdoors metal lawn chairs, and used it to bludgeon people.

2nd: A friend/co-worker described me as "that guy that threw a grenade at a house".
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

flickering_candle

Postby flickering_candle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:56 am UTC

The only part of my dream that I remembered when I woke was that Belial (my mental image of him loosely based on his avatar, since I don't know him IRL) was asking me where I work and what I do. It was kind of creepy. Guess I shouldn't have been browsing the fora just before going to sleep.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:09 am UTC

The only thing I remember is that I had an apartment that I shared with two other people. While that itself is unremarkable, the fact that the apartment building's design was very open and you could literally walk from your apartment into someone else's apartment like walking into just another room was interesting. I really don't remember anything specific about the dream other than how the apartment(s) looked. I remember being jealous of my "neighbor's" hardwood floors. I had ugly carpet.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:39 am UTC

A few nights ago, I had a dream that involved a girl I have never seen before. Nothing sexual or whatever, but she was a main "character" in the dream.

The next day, I go to a Pizza Hut to pick up dinner, and who is manning the drive-through window than a girl who looks JUST LIKE the girl in my dream. :shock:

Edit: I had to resist a line such as "you are the girl of my dreams."
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:49 am UTC

Two nights ago I dreamt I was cutting off the middle toe on my right foot. I can't remember why I was doing this. It didn't really hurt, but I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to balance on it once it had been cut off, so I stopped about three quarters of the way through. At that point, I noticed that the toe (along with the middle toe on my left foot) turned into a metallic-looking rod at the end and was supporting a computer monitor. I wondered if cutting off the toe would stop the monitor working, then I woke up. It was a strange dream.

slbub

Postby slbub » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:20 am UTC

no man that was completely normal

IWearHats

Postby IWearHats » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:48 am UTC

So I am at home and my sister says she invited my high school girlfriend around because apparently she lives next door and I never knew. She comes round and it's actually not my girlfriend but the girl my best friend had a crush on in high school. We hang out and I learn that her family is breaking up (her family was actually breaking up last time I saw her about 4 years ago) and they were going to lose their house due to financial problems. She mentions she is hungry so I offer to take her out to lunch.

On the way we pass a football field and I am called over to a pick up game of union and both me and this girl join in.
At this point I realise I was Lionel Messi exactly the same size but instead of soccer I was known as the best player in the world at rugby union, being 5'7'' and like 140 lbs (pretty sure that's about what Messi is anyway) this was not going to go well.

The game goes on I mostly just avoid the ball but am forced to get involved a few times due to the play coming near me. I laugh off the fact that I make horrible mistakes with my team mates by saying ''like I'm going to try in a game like this''. Eventually we're waiting around for some guys to pack the scrum when I feel a sharp pain in my elbow, I look down and some guy shoved a match deep into the bone. the whole match was in their with just the ignitable end poking out, I yell at the guy asking what the hell he is doing, he just laughs and continues to try and light the match. I go crazy and the two of us get into a fight it's broken up and I leave with the girl I came with. We decide to go get some apple pies when we get to my car I wake up.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

Similar to this comic. Worried about uncompleted homework (known and unknown) two weeks into the semester. Missed lectures in most classes out of forgetfulness. Lacked drive in the dream, causing distress on the real level. Mercifully completed one assignment during lecture. Seemed plausible. Expects short assignments early. Followed the book’s example. Still left at least one online assignment for that class due that day. Had other homework too, including an unknown project in a science class.

Persisted for four hours. Awoke two or three times to reject it. Continued regardless.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 am UTC

I was originally going to post this in "(Bad) Science in your dreams", but I decided that ornithology was a small enough component that it couldn't actually be called science, even bad science.

I had a dream that I was at some sort of natural history museum, and I was at some sort of ornithology exhibit. There was a video on cardinal courtship.

There was a part where a female cardinal hops up to a male, and tries to interest the male in mating. The problem, the narrator of this wildlife video remarks, is that the male cardinal is a Buddhist monk, so mating would be a violation of his vows (Note: other than the narrator's bizarre narration of events -- and the fact that, in the dream, I took the narrator at his word -- these birds were not at all anthropomorphic: they were just cardinals, hopping around, chirping, no clothing, etc). The narrator then goes on to snidely mock the male cardinal monk for being being a preening, self-righteous Malvolio (not in those words, although I don't remember the real phrasing).

The male cardinal then decided to abandon his vows and mate with the female who was courting him after all. At this point, the wildlife narrator went on to explain that although the male cardinal was abandoning his vows, he was convinced that it was much more virtuous in his case than in other people's, because in spite of forsaking what he claimed to believe in, he had given it deep consideration and thought, weighing his vows carefully rather than just abandoning all self-control and rushing in. On these grounds, the narrator explained, the male cardinal maintained his delusions of his own purity, righteousness, and superiority.

At this point, my subconscious must have gotten sick of this narrator, who was determined to paint the cardinal monk the worst light whether he mated or not, so one of the other patrons at the exhibit (I think she was a rather obese middle-aged woman) remarked "This narrator is really an arrogant asshole."

The wildlife documentary was over, but then I realized that I had missed the first part, having walked into the exhibit when the video was already rolling. So I stayed to see the first part again -- only when the documentary started, there was audio but no video, and the narrator was not narrating, but having a phone conversation with his on-again, off-again girlfriend. The girlfriend wanted some clarification on their current relationship status (or something), to which the narrator was diffident and condescending (saying something like "well, you're my on-again, off-again girlfriend"), at which the girlfriend echoed the other patron's assessment: "You're really an arrogant asshole," and hung up. Girlfriend gone, the narrator began talking about cardinals again.

Then, when I got home from the museum, I felt a suspicion. I went to SMBC, and found that the whole affair -- the fight between the girlfriend and the narrator, the wildlife documentary -- were stolen from an SMBC comic. I was pretty mad at the natural history museum for stealing Zach Weiner's work.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Random weird bits I remember:

I was Data, and was just being introduced to the Enterprise - though the Enterprise was much larger, and darker, and didn't really look at all like the one in the series. More like BSG. I talked to the captain(nondescript, not Picard) about my achievements. Wanted to show him medals I had won, and had this crappy hand thing like a Cardassian tridcorder that I could scroll through battle commendations I had received. Also, the Enterprise was my grandmother's house.

There was also a sub-plot about some faction on the ship being evil. They were going to move a planet somehow. There was a big discussion of the possible problems - like if the planet ended up at the wrong star and things like that.

Also, there was grapefruit on my kitchen counter, sliced and ready to eat. But I hate grapefruit.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

Sometimes I dream up entire people, then I wake up extremely dissappointed to realise they're not real :(

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:58 am UTC

RollingHead wrote:Sometimes I dream up entire people, then I wake up extremely dissappointed to realise they're not real :(

Any people in particular you've dreamed up that you think are cool enough to share on this thread?

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

The problem is that within a few hours of waking up I forget most of the dream, and I'm left with the feeling that I'd had a very good friend who I'll never get to see again.

Brickmack

Postby Brickmack » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

This is a very strange dream but: I was walking through a house (I think it was mine) and there was a window really high up, close to the ceiling. Some random girl, who had been walking on the top of a nearby parking garage and I think just jumped onto my house, opened the window and asked if she could come in (apparently she was someone I had talked to on IRC a few days ago according to the dream). By this point I had figured out with some certainty that it was a dream, but I said yes anyway, to try and figure out where the dream was going. No idea what happened over the next five minutes or so, but a few minutes later random other people started coming in through the windows (I think she invited friends over or something during the unknown 5 minutes). Even though I knew it was a dream, I still kinda freaked out over the whole thing, since there were more than 10 people in my house, who I had never met before, and one of them was even sitting in my spot on the couch) and then woke up screaming. Still, it ended up being my first successful (though accidental) lucid dream.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

I got dumped like a week ago, so every night I've been dreaming of she and I being back together. Then, last night I dreamed that she and I were definitely broken up but talking amiably, and a mutual friend of ours came up to us and said "I'm so glad that you two are getting along so well!"

I guess I'm taking this as a good sign? Psychologically speaking.

meridian

Postby meridian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

I dreamed at one point that I went to a movie premiere were Seth Green and Daniel Radcliffe starred. I got a chance to hang out with them and Seth Green invited me to his hotel for sex, only he was living in a huge rundown suite with the Robot Chicken staff. That was fine because they were mostly playing video games, but the hotel was really, really run down - like they were squatting in a condemned building.

Oh and Alyson Hannigan showed up for sex with me and Seth too!

Problem: I had to pee. This was probably as frustrating as Seth green being too distracted to get in the shower with us so I spent all my time fishing a human skeleton out of the toilet and convincing him to stop working/playing games/cleaning the kitchen to have the sex. And I still had to pee, so I dreamed that I had, but that didn't work at all. So I woke up and went to the bathroom again (second time that night).

It seemed like it was leading up to a weird geeky sex dream, but I had to wake myself out of it to use the toilet.
Spoiler:
People don't really go to heaven when they die. They are taken to a special room and burned.
- Sherlock
torontoraptor wrote:Internet is a zombie, and it is eating our brains.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

Alright, so I dreamed was batman*, and I was investigating some evil in a place that looked like my old school would look like if buildings were on top of cliffs and had ravines and crap between them, and Nazi-like badguys driving '30s cars were running the place. Later, I was in a desert that looked a lot like Nevada in Fallout: New Vegas does. Except there was a wind turbine, and I was there to save damsels in distress. But I was too late, and they had all succumbed to the elements.

* I was watching Batman: The Animated series before hitting the sack.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:53 am UTC

Dream: I was walking along a path in a park looking for someplace to eat my lunch. I decided to sit in a place just south of a dirt walking path. All of a sudden some girl soccer team comes over and then three parts of my lunch were missing: two drinks and some grain based thing.
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:28 am UTC

Last few days I've been having really elaborate dreams about having sex with people and being pregnant and being captured by crazy people from a dystopian future and BDSM.

Spoiler:
One very elaborate dream that I woke up from and then had all over again where I was tied up and flogged and smacked and fucked and all sorts of things that I want to try but don't really know how or where.

I don't usually have such vivid or memorable dreams. Maybe I'm more stressed than usual.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:16 am UTC

I dreamed the Tower Bridge was a giant walking robot, which carries tourists around London. When we got on it, the bridge got up on its eight legs, turned parallel to the river, and paced up and down so we could take in the sights. After that it ran to the mouth of the River Thames, and docked itself like a ship. It was the largest structure of its kind in the world. And yet, somehow, it fitted under all the other bridges.

When I woke up, I thought of how awesome it was that they'd build something like that just for tourists. I can't really qualify the awesomeness of the universe that the dream was set in, but I reckon it'd be one where battle mechs are a feasible form of weaponry. I've also gained a new respect for the Tower Bridge.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Fell asleep last night with my TV on C-SPAN. Then I had a dream about South Park, of all things. Can't remember exactly how it began but Kyle and Cartman were dis/assembling some rifles a la Forrest Gump and Bubba, and when Kyle finishes he says something along the lines of "I sure am Bubba" (my subconscious somehow mixed up the two, because it was actually Forrest that was super-fast at it... *shrug* ) to which Cartman bites, asking, "Why is that, Kyle?" or something.

The rest of the conversation, naturally, erupts into a debate over the Second Amendment. I can't remember all the details, but I'll try my best, which it seems won't be very good at all:

Kyle: "Because I know that the Second Amendment is... [something]."

Cartman (paraphrasing now because I truly cannot remember =\ ): "Are you kidding? The Second Amendment means..."

Blah! Fuck, I can't remember jack shit! Basically, though, it was truly hilarious because Kyle said something very intellectual that I've since forgotten to which Cartman's reply was basically that if you have a gun, you don't have to be intellectual, you just have to have good aim. And then HE went into a pseudo-intellectual rant, in purely Cartman-esque mental-acrobatics logical-mindfuck style, waxing political with some back-assward argument about how the Constitution is this and that (God, it was truly magnificent, but I cannot remember it! I should have begun writing this a lot sooner :() and how the Declaration of Independence was drafted by very forward-thinking, if ambivalent men, and that we do the Framers a disservice by considering their work to be static in any way...

Anyway, eventually I begin slowly drifting back into consciousness and come to find that the last part of Cartman's soliloquy was actually Christopher Phillips, a guy who wrote a book called Constitution Café. Among my reactions to this were, obviously, amusement at the fact that this had creeped into - and obviously been quite distorted by - my subconscious mind, but my next one was hoping that it was nearer to the beginning of the program, because I had watched that particular Book-TV last about a week ago but it was one of those really good ones that you certainly wouldn't mind watching again, but I was saddened to find that it was right at the end...

Now I'm watching Morning Joe. =\

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Hey, look at that, today's date is a palindrome! (At least, it is in 'Murrica .:P)

LOL. Anyway, I think I had a lucid dream last night! "Semi-lucid" might be more accurate, though. It was lucid because it
was the first time that I've ever been inside of a dream and have the thought occur to me that: "Hey, I think I might be
dreaming, right now!" But I thought that one was supposed to be able to "control" the dream, at least to a slightly higher
degree than I was able to, so therefore I'm thinking perhaps it was only "semi-lucid". Or, alternatively, perhaps my
inability to control the content to the degree I thought I should was merely a product of inexperience.

I actually had numerous REM states last night, apparently, that I am still able to vaguely remember. As such my memory of this particular one has already been overwritten with other information, lost to the ages I suppose. But what I remember about my "lucid" one was that I was walking around my dreamscape and suddenly had a feeling that I was sleeping. My first reaction to the thought was probably a common one for testing the theory of lucid dreaming: "Well, why don't I fly around for a while?" I don't remember much about the geography of my dreamscape (save for the fact that I'm fairly sure I was still in my hometown, heh) but I do remember that once the thought of attempting to fly occured to me I found myself in a wooded area, under a bunch of trees with long, dangly branches; then, as if my SUB-conscious was reacting to my *(semi?-)conscious* thought to attempt flight, it got really windy. The branches above me swayed as if to block any opening to the sky, and the wind was in fact so strong that it even swayed ME, almost but not quite knocking me over.

I actually became scared, for a few moments. But I fought it -- both the fear and the wind, trying my best to stay on my
feet and position myself under the largest opening in the trees that I could find. And then I flew. I've had dreams where
I'm flying before, but this is one of the few if not the only where I remember being on the "ground" at first and then
deciding to defy gravity. I also wanna say that in most (though not all) of those other cases it was more like levitation
than actual flight. One theme that I also remember recurring in previous instances of this was the fear of heights/falling.
I have what I would consider only a very mild fear of heights, but feeling shaky when looking over a cliff or the window of
a tall building is completely different than the perception that you are high above the earth with absolutely NOTHING but
air between you.

Oh, yeah. And the other thing about this particular dream was that it seemed, in the end, to be a dream-within-a-dream: I don't remember precisely how (or if) I landed, just that (probably healthy) fear of falling, and then at some point
realizing that the best way to get out of the dream was probably to open my eyes. So I did -- or, did I? I'm not really
sure, anymore: either I only "opened" my eyes into another dream, or perhaps in all actuality I really did wake up if for
only a short moment and then slipped right back into my next dream, or maybe even I did physically open my eyes but I was closer to a somnabulant state than actual consciousness.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

I was part of a manned mission to Mars (don't remember how we got there, just that when we landed they already had streets and buildings). They showed us the now defunct Phoenix probe in someone's kitchen (no sign of Spirit, I'm afraid). I was particularly fascinated with the probe, as it had been the first to discover water on Mars (this is true IRL), and took several pictures of it (it actually seemed to resemble a large laptop). At the end of the dream I was about to take a picture of myself with Phoenix and, for maximum punny appeal, a Mars bar with a glass of water balanced on top. Yes, the Mars bars just happened to be there.

Brace

Postby Brace » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

I dreamed I was stopped by a cop for walking down east colfax at night because he thought I was a prostitute. He told me I needed to get off the street or he was going to arrest me. I don't remember any of the finer details.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:24 am UTC

I reached lucidity in a dream for the first time ever. Unfortunately, the realization woke me up.

I dreamed that I rode to the store on my bicycle and upon coming back out of the store after making my purchases, I discovered that someone had taken my bike and replaced a whole bunch of the parts with parts stripped from a tricycle. Furious, I put the bicycle in the back of my SUV and drove off, wondering aloud how I was going to get the bike repaired, if that was even possible. And that's when it hit me: How was my car already in the store parking lot? I rode my bike to the store. Then I woke up.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Samik

Postby Samik » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:42 am UTC

Ok, this isn't exactly an accounting of my dreams last night, but I want to talk about my dreams in general.

I dream. A lot. Hours every night. A lot of them are the weird, cooky, incoherent schizoid ramblings we all have, but just as many are pretty coherent, and some are downright epics, with long, developing plots, interesting characters, dramatic twists and turns, and so on.

Some are good, many are more or less neutral, and some are not pleasant at all. I don't really have a trend of getting nightmares, but when you have hours worth of dreams you remember vividly every single night, you accumulate plenty of bad ones of the years.

I have been shot, stabbed, garroted, throat slit, hanged, poisoned, drowned (by far the most vivid one of the bunch), mauled by animals (dogs mostly, but once by a bear, once a cobra, and recently experienced a bout of sleep paralysis where I thought some sort of rodent was furiously digging into my throat... and making progress (I should point out I was effectively awake for that one - eyes open and seeing my room around me, but still feeling this thing on me)), and had my chest sliced open with an old fashioned straight razor. It barely even bothers me anymore - if I wake up, I just roll over and go back to sleep. (Anyone who ever tells you you can't die in a dream is full of it - once the dream completely fades out, you either wake up, or just move on to another dream).

Ever since I was little, it's like my dreams have been in an arms race with my conscious mind, to push the realism higher and higher, and make the content more and more moving (I choose that word because, as I said, there are as many good ones as bad ones).

Well, I said that the death/injury dreams hardly bother me anymore, and that's true, but last night I had two dreams that, for the first time in a long time, made me wake up, and lie there for a while feeling horrible, and... unnerved and unsafe.

The first one was the easier to handle of the two. I won't describe completely, just because of how long it was. But the synopsis is as follows:

Spoiler:
A friend of mine (who did not appear to reflect anyone I know in reality) developed some manner of psychic abilities. Despite initially being a skeptic, I helped them explore their abilities, but their growth developed so quickly that they started to reach a level where their growing control of the world around them started to become detrimental to others. As their awareness expanded (how they described it, anyway - there was a lot of unreliable narrator stuff going on here), they became so disconnected with the reality they started to become less aware of how their manipulations affected the others around them.

At some point, we realized that this person needed to be stopped, even killed, if necessary - before they became so powerful, and disconnected, that they accidentally did something that would really cause damage.

Well, he did not take our attempts to stop him very well, and the environment of the dream begins accelerating downhill very quickly from here. After very early on in the dream, I lost the ability to communicate with him enough to get a feel for his mental state, so I'm guessing about his motivations here, but the feel of it was that he begins to view other humans as a threat (possibly being unable to differentiate between individuals and the concept of human intellect as a whole), and his control over the physical world becomes so great that the entire planet and all the life on it begins to become actively hostile towards humanity.

Now, since I had been trying to help him in the beginning to develop his abilities, I feel at least partly responsible. The middle of the dream becomes a long fight for survival sequence. Cities crumble, resistances go into hiding, all that good stuff. The antagonist is long gone at this point, and no one knows where to find him or what to do - we're just trying to survive.

This goes on for a while, and things slowly but surely accelerate from fighting for survival day to day, to fighting for survival moment to moment. The survivors cell I'm living in gets... upended, is the only word I can think of for it (ground crumbles, darkness and wind and rain and animals and lightning and energy vortexes, and basically anything you can possibly think of all at once, rips through our camp, tearing people apart, and we scatter. I don't know if anyone else survives, but I get away briefly, somehow.

All through the night I'm running from things chasing me, never a moment of rest. At some point in the morning I feel I'm clear for a bit. I have a radio and I'm trying to figure out where I might find another camp of survivors, if there are any left, when I hear growling behind me.

Gonna fastforward through this scene - basically, two wolves chase me down, drag me to the ground, and get busy doing what wolves do.

Right as this scene is about to reach its inevitable conclusion, I'm suddenly in a room with the friend of mine, who I've not seen in months of dream time at this point. My wounds are gone. Frankly, I had assumed long since that his mind had developed into something so different that he no longer was even watching the events that were taking place on earth. And yet, here I was in front of him. So obviously he still remembers me, and has some measure of humanity sufficient for sympathy (or at least curiosity)? I hope?

Anyway, I try to talk to him - to find out what's going on, and why he's doing this. His thoughts are so disconnected and far out that I feel like hardly anything meaningful is getting passed between us. I try to argue for why he should spare humanity - that at the very least, with his level of power, he could go anywhere he wants in the universe and leave us to ourselves. This doesn't get me anywhere.

I try to appeal to what might remain of his humanity - I remind him that by wiping out humanity, there is the possibility that he may very well be extinguishing the only consciousness there is in this universe. This gets a reasonably coherent response from him - as far as he is concerned, the state that he has reached is so far beyond ours as to render my concerns a triviality - consciousness will go on, forever, in the shape of him; ours is so underdeveloped as to be completely irrelevant.

There has to be some reason he was watching me, and brought me into his presence, but I just can't reach him. The dream doesn't have much of a defined endpoint, except for me coming to the realization that I may be the only person left alive on earth, and that there is no reaching this 'person' anymore. Humanity is extinct. The universe quite possibly may be devoid to awareness from here until its end (and even if there are other intelligent species, who's to say he won't find them and do the same to their world?). And it may all very well be largely my fault.

The second dream was much shorter, but considerably more immediately distressing. Warning: Gore.

Spoiler:
I'm undergoing initiation into some ill-defined special forces (although it's pretty clear this isn't something as well publicized as Green Berets or whatnot - a much smaller organization). The dream begins in a training process understood to be already nearly complete - I'm all but done, with only a few remaining trails to go through to wrap things up. Won't go into too many details, but the trials are very, very graphic stuff. Not like you see on those specials on tv where they follow recruits around as they run around until they puke, and what not. Not even like in the movies where the recruit is subject to waterboarding, and interrogation techniques, and so on. More head-case stuff. Think the Bourne movies, where he has to unceremoniously shoot a prisoner whose identity he has no clue about. Think having limbs broken and being forced to continue going through psychical trials with a broken arm/ankle. Think being subjected to severe burns over large areas, but having to perform long, slow, intricate operations that require a ton of attention and focus at the same time, forcing you to completely ignore what's happening to you. And due to the level of realness my dreams have attained after all these years, each of these scenes puts me in mental states probably not too far off what someone going through them would actually experience (or, at least, as near as my subconscious or conscious can imagine).

That's as much detail as I'm going to get into, except for a bit about the final trial - the one that really had me all messed up when I woke up.

Censored version (as much as I can and still get the idea across): I am strapped down into a chair, my mouth wedged open, and a large mirror positioned to face me, so that I can see what's going on. A 'surgeon' comes in, and, with little ceremony, begins inserting various metal implements into the back of my throat, and pulling and stretching the skin, skewering, and... I really don't want to get any more into the specifics. All the while I'm sitting here thinking, "They can't kill me. This is part of the training. They're seeing if I'll crack under torture. These are professionals, and there are professional medics standing by... and they can't kill me, can they?"

Well, after a few minutes of stretching and skewering, and being forced to watch the whole thing, he takes a pair of clippers and just cuts a six inch gash clear through all of the skin he's stretched out in the back of my throat, ripping large slices away as he does so.

I wake up immediately.

So I said that I've mostly gotten used to these dreams. But last night was a little more over the top than I am used to. Between the head trip of the first dream (being possibly responsible for the extinction of the human race) and the whole being-torn-apart-by-dogs thing, and then the multitude of experiences in the second dream, they had me shaken up pretty good.

The problem is that these aren't the result of sleep disorders, or depression, or anything else that I imagine anyone could get medicated for. I just dream, all the time, with great realism. So things like these are bound to keep happening now and them. But, as you can imagine, I get more than a little sick of it sometimes.

So I don't really know what to say. Does anyone else dream on this level? (Meaning either with extraordinarily high levels of detail and emotional engagement, or the violence part, or both?)
Last edited by Samik on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:29 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:14 pm UTC

Last night I had a dream that Misters Rider and Waite (I assume named after the Rider-Waite Tarot deck) had built a robot to predict the future using astrology. They had built it to solve problems in science that would be made easier by predicting the future. There was only one trouble, that the astrology robot was evil, and could only be defeated, recaptured, through the use of a needlessly convoluted plan. We began a plan that involved a sardine, some net, and a juggler, then I woke up.
418 I'm a teapot

rhetorical

Postby rhetorical » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

The weirdest dream I've ever had was when I was around 8. I was at the neighborhood swimming pool, which was normal. The tiles on the walkways were made of alternating peanut butter and grape jelly, which was not. Every time I would face away from the swimming pool, a pale eye would rise up on a stalk from the pool. When I turned around, it would be gone. I decided to see what the eye was, so I said "I'll just use SCUBA." I then got down on my hands and feet, like I was going to do a push up, and started crawling into the pool. When I was about halfway into the pool, I flipped over on my back, causing the eye to come back up. I couldn't get off my back. I then woke up.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 am UTC

I was in a heavily wooded forest somewhere, it was warm and cold all at the same time. There was an almost blinding light and a music started up, it sounded like dishwalla style, but without words. I was suddenly next to a girl that I know, she put her arm around me, and we started walking. After a little while, the hot/cold weather burst to freezing, and the sun went to a dark purple.

Freaking weird, also one of the most physical and real-fealing dreams I have had in a long while.
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.

Return to “General”