Sleep-time holodeck experiences

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: What were your dreams last night?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:40 pm UTC

I learned how to fly a helicopter while working on the Muskrat Falls hydro dam in Newfoundland, and then yelled at Former President Harry S. Truman after he badmouthed my latest painting. Jerk.

ajh

Postby ajh » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:32 am UTC

So, on Sunday I stayed up until midnight, but had to rise at 6:30 in the morning. At 8 p.m. I was really tired and went to bad (leaving typo). Today I woke up around 9 a.m., with my alarm (intentionally) still set to the same time.
The last episode involved two gangs in a camp in the woods (Finland? Similar setting to an earlier dream). There were two buildings, which we tried to take over or something. It was sort of spotlit and required some stealth and trickery. I managed to get into the enemy building, where they were in a steaming pool in the cellar. They were seated back to back and there were mirrors, so they could observe all windows. My partner was outside. When we rose to catch him, a wild fight ensued, with all members of my team. This somehow took place in daylight in a fenced-in rectangle, all of us going anticlockwise (like in an ice rink). Oh, and one member of the opposite team was incredibly fast, powerful and insidious. He jumped into the area (why were they outside to begin with?) and approached me. I managed to get away, so we could grab him. Repeat the assault; then four people (including me) drag him to the fence and start banging him to pieces. By now he consists of metal feathers/scales, cables, and springs in various colours (General Tick-Tock from Moers' "Rumo and his miraculous adventures"?). Also, there is a string orchestra playing "Silent Night" in the background (my alarm is a different piece).
I've been playing too much OpenArena

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:29 pm UTC

Johnson was coming over to my house to pick me up. We were going to the second day of a sporting event - maybe a triathlon, or something like that. Don't recall that first day. Second day was running, and I was worried that my crappy running shoes would be bad to use. Then Kidd showed up. I asked him if he needed anything, and he said he needed a clamp or something. I started looking around my kitchen counter, but it was huge mess. He found one laying on something, but it was a bar clamp, not the type I was going to give him. I went out to the garage to look some more. I think my family was in the garage, but I'm not sure. Either way, people were there. I started looking for the clamp, and moved this big box with wood supports in it. I noticed the back of it was broken open, then saw that the huge model ship that was in it had been bashed - the mizzen mast was gone, and the main mast was broken. I was really upset, because it was a cool thing and a gift from my parents.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:44 am UTC

Is that boat alright in your waking life?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:10 am UTC

Ok, it's been a while since I had a dream that vivid, with that complicated a plot. Oi.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:59 pm UTC

Was in a large room, sitting at a table. At some point two older guys joined me, and we were going to play D&D. We started preparing, then I had to leave, maybe to use the bathroom. When i got back, they were gone. I noticed they'd joined a much larger group at another table. I was upset that they ditched me, but decided to join the other group as they started playing D&D. I thought through a bunch of names for a character, and couldn't come up with anything good, so decided on 'Slab' - a 6 foot tall kender. We were going to sneak into a temple or something, and it involved hanging from a rope by our arms and legs, and pulling ourselves along. Somehow everyone else got captured so I went into hiding. I hid near this lamp/candle thing, and extinguished it. Sometime later a small orc or goblin or something came along to light it with this large metal arm/taper thing. He kept lighting it and I'd put it out with my fingers. He finally noticed me doing this after about the fifth time.

I was back in the hall, or someplace similar. I overheard a guy say something about a sheet of stamps laying on table next to him. I knew he was talking about them being acid. I tried to find a way to bring it up, and finally introduced myself to the guy and told him I wanted to try acid. He was very accepting of this, but wanted to give me a tour first. We were at a Masonic meeting place, but it was more like a party. He took me through to all these different areas, one had huge doors and needed a password or something. We wandered around for a while. I think I ended up trying the acid at some point.

Complete change: was on a cruise ship and couldn't find the girl I was there with. Ran into my sister's friend from college, and chatted with her. Then decided to eat at a buffet.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

Got around to writing it up:

The preamble was a little scattered, but the main cohesive plot started when I was in the basement of a big, old (like antique heritage-building old) hotel. I’m just looking around, picking up stuff, and it’s pretty clear I’m building something. I gather it all up, drag it into the elevator, and hit the lever to go back up to the main floor. The elevator squeaks and shrieks and rumbled and slowly drags itself up to the main floor (obviously an antique elevator, too).

I talk to my supervisor, where it becomes evident I’m an employee there: general bellhop, gopher, assistant concierge, whatever. I tell him I’ve got plans to improve the elevator, and I spend a couple hours cobbling together a pulley and rope system. He doesn’t believe it will work, since it just looks like a rope going through the middle back of the elevator car now, but I easily pull the car from the main floor to the second floor, smoothly and SILENTLY. He’s impressed and says I can be the elevator guy now as well.

Now, this shouldn’t work, because where the rope passes through the top of the elevator, it’s anchored to the pulley system mounted on top, and the rope passing through the bottom is anchored to the winding spool on the bottom of the elevator. In other words, the rope isn’t attached to anything EXCEPT the elevator. It’s like trying to lift yourself into the air by grabbing your shoes and pulling up really hard. But it’s a dream, so it clearly works.

I spend a couple days doing this, and people are impressed, and I get good tips. One day my mind is wandering as I’m hauling myself up to the top floor, glancing out the windows on the side of the elevator car and watching myself rise into the air. It’s an anachronistic world, with like 1930’s cars alongside modern ones, and it’s a dull grey day. But when a mullion passes by, suddenly it’s sunny.

This hotel is six floors. Still pulling on the rope, I glance out at the sunny world, then up at the floor indicator and see that I’m on the seventh floor.

For the next portion of the dream, I’m still at my job, but I’m ferrying people to all SEVEN floors of the hotel now. Which is confusing. And now it’s sunny. When I get off work, I go down to the basement to try to figure out what’s up with the elevator, but all my stuff is the same. Then I go outside and wander around, and some of the businesses are different. The air is warmer. Even my outfit is nicer now, somehow. I get a coffee from a corner coffee shop, and start talking up the girl at the counter. She smiles and I feel a thrill, but I have to go.

I go up to the seventh floor again, and focus on going down to the sixth floor... down to the TOP floor. The mullion passes by, and it’s gloomy outside again. The floor indicator indicates I’m on the sixth floor of a six-floor hotel.

Over the next few weeks I take many trips to the seventh floor, exploring this other world, but I always feel this strange PULL to go back to my own world. I can stay longer and longer, though. I start a relationship with the coffee girl. We go for walks in the sun and make out against the warm terra-cotta side of her building. I collect better tips. I end up sleeping in the better world, more and more.

And one day, on my trip back to my own sixth floor, the mullion passes and the day gets grey... and the wall behind me in the elevator is scrawled with black and red paint, with the words “GIVE ME BACK MY LIFE”.

So it turns out when I pass to the seventh floor, I am switching with the me from that world, who only ends up on the sixth floor. He’s confused, and frightened, and thinks he’s going insane, but when he comes back to his world he hears about the things “he” did while he was gone. Someone is taking over his life. In my original world, my friends are concerned I’m bi-polar, as I’m either in a great mood or confused and angry and depressed. And violent.

I write on the wall that I’m sorry, but I’ve fallen in love with his world, and I go back up to the seventh floor.

And when the doors open, people are horrified to find the crushed and mangled remains, as when he read my words, he leapt from the top of the building, and we simply ended up dead, in the wrong world.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:54 pm UTC

Do you mind if I ask you a question or two? Firstly, is that dream in real-time (i.e. you spent at least several subjective days in that dream, with each hour seeming as long as a waking hour)? Secondly, were you aware that you were dreaming while you were actually dreaming?

I'm somewhat jealous, and very curious, as the longest dream I have ever experienced probably lasted about an hour. I've had dreams that took place over a longer timesapan, but they played more like montages (and partly in the third person), so the subjective timespan was much shorter.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:41 am UTC

Several hours subjectively. My 'long' dreams tend to bounce around, like a movie. Literally. Camera angles and everything. For this dream (and most), I am sadly not aware. I only pull off lucidity once a month, maybe.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:25 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Several hours subjectively. My 'long' dreams tend to bounce around, like a movie. Literally. Camera angles and everything. For this dream (and most), I am sadly not aware. I only pull off lucidity once a month, maybe.

Hey, once a month ain't bad - I've gone lucid 4-5 times in my life. I was just wondering because my memory of dreams is normally only ever that good if I'm lucid or near lucid at some point. I've heard stories (possibly exaggerated) of lucid dreams that have lasted several months subjectively.

I get you with the movie-like aspect, although mine tend to be a little more game-like. Some of the weirder things that have happened to me in that vein are deliberately changing character in a dream (like GTA V), or becoming entirely non-corporeal so I can watch and direct the "action" from an overhead perspective (like a strategy game).

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:50 pm UTC

I had two short dreams. I think they were unrelated.

In the first one I was sending chat messages to a close and respected friend for philosophical and spiritual guidance, basically whimpering to him that I was a fool, that I had betrayed my principles and my soul, that I didn't know how to face my situation and so forth. An away message got posted explaining that he was busy doing something important and couldn't answer anyone, and I cursed myself for imposing. A few seconds later he responded by saying that it was very sad and unfortunate. When I asked for clarification and advice though, I got the away message again.

In the second one, a dragon in human form was looking me over magnanimously, saying they were happy to have me as a servant and that what the doctor had just installed was called a "restraining coil", which was a magical device bound to his own being that would obliterate my soul from existence if I betrayed him. I said "that seems very fair and reasonable" in a too cordial tone, and remembered the time I had obliterated a parallel world that had offended my own principles by being dependent on mass torture and human sacrifice. Internally I was beyond horrified though, as much at the thing itself, as at having allowed it to happen, as at the fear that I might now fail to live up to my principles, and the shame of this last possibility made me hate myself more than anything else in my entire life ever had.

Oh, and the dragon used the words "You will experience the ultimate act of violence and then cease to exist" and smiled at me as if he'd done me a favor. I guess my masochism is that obvious.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:02 pm UTC

I had a dream last night that I grew a beard, but it wasn't made of hair - it was part of my face, made of flesh and bones. It was a little bit disturbing.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:03 am UTC

you wrote it well.
i understand it.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Spoiler:
Got around to writing it up:

The preamble was a little scattered, but the main cohesive plot started when I was in the basement of a big, old (like antique heritage-building old) hotel. I’m just looking around, picking up stuff, and it’s pretty clear I’m building something. I gather it all up, drag it into the elevator, and hit the lever to go back up to the main floor. The elevator squeaks and shrieks and rumbled and slowly drags itself up to the main floor (obviously an antique elevator, too).

I talk to my supervisor, where it becomes evident I’m an employee there: general bellhop, gopher, assistant concierge, whatever. I tell him I’ve got plans to improve the elevator, and I spend a couple hours cobbling together a pulley and rope system. He doesn’t believe it will work, since it just looks like a rope going through the middle back of the elevator car now, but I easily pull the car from the main floor to the second floor, smoothly and SILENTLY. He’s impressed and says I can be the elevator guy now as well.

Now, this shouldn’t work, because where the rope passes through the top of the elevator, it’s anchored to the pulley system mounted on top, and the rope passing through the bottom is anchored to the winding spool on the bottom of the elevator. In other words, the rope isn’t attached to anything EXCEPT the elevator. It’s like trying to lift yourself into the air by grabbing your shoes and pulling up really hard. But it’s a dream, so it clearly works.

I spend a couple days doing this, and people are impressed, and I get good tips. One day my mind is wandering as I’m hauling myself up to the top floor, glancing out the windows on the side of the elevator car and watching myself rise into the air. It’s an anachronistic world, with like 1930’s cars alongside modern ones, and it’s a dull grey day. But when a mullion passes by, suddenly it’s sunny.

This hotel is six floors. Still pulling on the rope, I glance out at the sunny world, then up at the floor indicator and see that I’m on the seventh floor.

For the next portion of the dream, I’m still at my job, but I’m ferrying people to all SEVEN floors of the hotel now. Which is confusing. And now it’s sunny. When I get off work, I go down to the basement to try to figure out what’s up with the elevator, but all my stuff is the same. Then I go outside and wander around, and some of the businesses are different. The air is warmer. Even my outfit is nicer now, somehow. I get a coffee from a corner coffee shop, and start talking up the girl at the counter. She smiles and I feel a thrill, but I have to go.

I go up to the seventh floor again, and focus on going down to the sixth floor... down to the TOP floor. The mullion passes by, and it’s gloomy outside again. The floor indicator indicates I’m on the sixth floor of a six-floor hotel.

Over the next few weeks I take many trips to the seventh floor, exploring this other world, but I always feel this strange PULL to go back to my own world. I can stay longer and longer, though. I start a relationship with the coffee girl. We go for walks in the sun and make out against the warm terra-cotta side of her building. I collect better tips. I end up sleeping in the better world, more and more.

And one day, on my trip back to my own sixth floor, the mullion passes and the day gets grey... and the wall behind me in the elevator is scrawled with black and red paint, with the words “GIVE ME BACK MY LIFE”.

So it turns out when I pass to the seventh floor, I am switching with the me from that world, who only ends up on the sixth floor. He’s confused, and frightened, and thinks he’s going insane, but when he comes back to his world he hears about the things “he” did while he was gone. Someone is taking over his life. In my original world, my friends are concerned I’m bi-polar, as I’m either in a great mood or confused and angry and depressed. And violent.

I write on the wall that I’m sorry, but I’ve fallen in love with his world, and I go back up to the seventh floor.

And when the doors open, people are horrified to find the crushed and mangled remains, as when he read my words, he leapt from the top of the building, and we simply ended up dead, in the wrong world.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed tags

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Samik

Postby Samik » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:32 am UTC

Quercus wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I only pull off lucidity once a month, maybe.

Hey, once a month ain't bad - I've gone lucid 4-5 times in my life. I was just wondering because my memory of dreams is normally only ever that good if I'm lucid or near lucid at some point. I've heard stories (possibly exaggerated) of lucid dreams that have lasted several months subjectively.

I've "gone lucid" maybe twice in my life. Only in moments of absolute terror where I'm basically shocked back into consciousness a second before actually waking up. In other words, I never get to do anything with it - I realize I'm dreaming just a short moment before surfacing.

Generally, my dreams are fantastic at filling in the gaps and smoothing over seams - I'm never allowed to "see behind the curtain". I've dreamed very realistically since I was little, and the realism, and my brain's tricks for handling things it can't render directly, have gotten more and more robust as I've gotten older. I often say that if I fell into a coma, my life probably wouldn't be any less interesting than it is now.

One problem with this is that I have memories from childhood that I'm not actually sure happened. I have no way to tell. Some of them are crazy and obviously never happened (did I really see that creature?), but there's no way of being sure of that beyond the simple fact that they're crazy - there's nothing coded into the memory that tells me it's not a "memory". Others are purely mundane but probably never happened just because I haven't been able to verify I'd ever been to the location in the dream (nobody else remembers going to that museum?). It's a strange thing.

Anyway, I bring all this up because Mighty Jalapeno's dream reminds me uncannily of a dream I had as a very small child. Maybe the earliest dream I can actually remember. I might have been 6 or 7.

In real life, our parents had recently gotten divorced, and my sister and I often spent time at a daycare facility in town. There was a playground out back, which is where the dream took place. I was on top of the slide, and about to start down, when I notice my mother walking out of the back door of the daycare into the playground. She sees me and waves, and I push myself down the slide to go meet her.

As I go down, the world flashes before me, like frames of film, or, again, like the floors of a building as you descend an elevator with open doors. It takes a few seconds for my stunned brain to realize what's exactly happening, and I stop myself on the slide. I start to climb back up, looking for the "original" world. I know I didn't go for too far - 4 or 5 levels at most. But I'm not precisely sure. Does it matter if I select the wrong one - if I'm off by just one or two? What is even going on? How did this happen? Why are there different levels to the world, with a playground and my mom on each one? Are they all the same? Will I appear to have vanished to my original mom? If I pick the wrong one, will she never see me again? Will I wind up with a mom and family and life that wasn't actually mine?

Anyway, I have nothing to do but select one and step out. My life goes on. I never have any way to determine if I made the "right" choice, or if it even matters.

What 6-7 year old has that dream in the first place? I'm sure I had no concept of alternate realities / dimensions / sci-fi at the time. Where did I even get the thought? I didn't walk away from it thinking, "man, that was a crazy alternate dimensions dream". I had no idea what to make of it at the time.

This "dream" is coded as a "memory" to me. There's no rememberance of waking up, or any seam at the beginning or end. I don't recall that there ever has been. It has the same robustness as every other memory from that age (not saying much, admittedly).

A lot is missing. At what age did I start to learn about sci-fi, and begin to recontextualize the dream? I don't remember. Did I think about it often enough in the years immediately after it happened to ensure that it didn't deteriorate or distort? I don't remember. I know I've thought about it many times over the years, back to when I was still young. But I can't entirely piece together a timeline of my changing impressions of it, if any.

It just remains one of many scattered, tattered "memories" from my childhood.
Last edited by Samik on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:42 am UTC

Samik wrote:One problem with this is that I have memories from childhood that I'm not actually sure happened.

I have many of those. Time and pondering has helped me figure out which ones were real and which ones weren't. Fun fact: My parents finding me asleep in the living room under a laundry basket and armed with a knife DID happen. Yay!

My dreams have always been vivid, and long, subjectively hours and occasionally more than a day. I go through dry spells of boring ones, and I can use medication to get awesome ones (and not even the GOOD medication... an ibuprophen or two will do it, but I'm trying to cut down on using anything to help me sleep), but lately, the last couple weeks, even regular unassisted sleep has been having some crazy dream time. Even managed lucidity a few times over the Christmas break, but it was uncooperative, and I ended up waking myself up the second time (trying too hard sort of breaks the spell).

Samik

Postby Samik » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:57 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Samik wrote:One problem with this is that I have memories from childhood that I'm not actually sure happened.

I have many of those. Time and pondering has helped me figure out which ones were real and which ones weren't.

I've also pieced together the truth of a few here and there. But not all. Just had to shrug off many at this point. An additional complication is that I seem to have been prone to visual hallucinations when very tired as a small child. This is what I've concluded, anyway. I have a small handful of these "memories" that could not possibly have happened, but are also localized at a very specific place and time that I'm sure did happen (i.e. family members to this day remember me pointing out something that they couldn't see, or there's an undisputable chronological continuation from an event that I can verify actually happened).

So, dream, reality, and hallucination are all piled together, without prejudice, in my memory of my childhood.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:38 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:and I ended up waking myself up the second time (trying too hard sort of breaks the spell).

Have you tried spinning round and round when that starts to happen - it's meant to stabilize the dream state - I've tried it twice and it does seem to work.

On the subject of mixing dreams and reality, I had a dream when I was about 8 that I'd worked out how to fly - I needed to run very fast and take a particular series of steps and jumps, which would end up with me floating a few inches above the ground and able to fly around at will. This was so detailed and convincing (it inserted itself into my memory of being in the playground at school the week before) that I spent the next week running around trying to fly in real life. I was very disappointed when I worked out it must have been a dream.

I seem to have a fairly good handle on calling out "weird stuff" in dreams and cottoning on to the fact that I'm dreaming (I'm a very sceptical person, which I guess helps). The problem is I tend to wake myself up rather than go lucid when I realise this. Also, I only remember about one dream every few weeks these days (this will probably improve when I'm less stressed and tired from thesis writing). I've gone lucid from realising that I'm breathing underwater, that I'm flying, and that I'm back in a place that I haven't visited in several years and is hundreds of miles away from where I am currently. My nightmares also normally end by me realising that full on lovecraftian horror is probably not really happening to me. By the time I realise this though I'm usually too terrified to stick around and stay lucid, so I wake myself up.

I have a good "reality check" that I'm in the habit of using when weird stuff happens - I try to push my thumb through the palm of my opposite hand, which, if successful, is pretty conclusive.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:32 pm UTC

Another simple/dumb dream

I was in a parking lot next to an abandoned warehouse next to a pedestrian running track that ran around a lake, doing handstand pushups (where I would stand on my hands and then dip down, without coming off of them). I'd been doing them all day. Someone I hadn't talked to before but had seen before and had mixed respect for said "you know, if you spread that out over a period of days, you wouldn't have to do that all at once". I said "I want to do it all at once", without stopping, and he shrugged and walked into the warehouse. After a while I stopped, and considered going for a run around the lake, but suddenly I was feeling weak and sick.

So instead I walked to the mall. As I was arriving, I thought about how a recent psychological study had proven that lots of windows in highly enclosed spaces actually make people more aggressive. Of course, every store is an enclosed space, and every store has windows so that customers can look in. I thought to myself that it says something about the human condition that we want to see other people even when it's unpleasant. I walked into a cake shop, and the manager, a brunette woman who was large but not fat, was talking to someone about one of the machines they used, an "auto cake". She was saying that it was a pretty old machine, like most of the machines in the shop, and not compatible with the "cake master", but she demonstrated how you could convert canisters for one into the other by squeezing the contents of one into the other and then using saran wrap to make up the difference.

Just then a short, stout man with a goatee came out of the freezer, and she asked him if he wanted to go to lunch with her and her husband, the owner, on saturday, to celebrate. I got the impression she was unhappy with me standing around and listening. The guy happily agreed. Then he turned to me and said "I guess we'll have to get lunch next saturday. So I'll see you at the usual time then." "11?" I asked. "Yeah" "Ok, well I'll try to be there. Unless I'm dead, or something weird/unpleasant happens, which I..." "Come on. 11" "Ok. Yes. I'll see you then"

Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish

Postby Girl-With-A-Math-Fetish » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:13 am UTC

My dreams are normally too complex and odd to describe, but I do dream about the Menger Sponge quite often. :P
I'm sexually attracted to the International Space Station. You have now had your daily dose of Internet.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:41 am UTC

I remembered a dream.
Maybe, most of my dreams are too boring to remember.

I was going into the car to go all the usual places.
Nothing strange, nothing upsetting, just normal.

I attempted to put the key in the ignition.
My spare key was already in the ignition.

Something strange must have happened for the spare key to be in use.
I had no idea what could have happened. It woke me up. the end.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:07 pm UTC

That sounds like a good dream. In real life we sometimes "wake up" suddenly and realize we can't remember a hardship. A hardship from a painful wound from the past can give way to mundane habit without initial realization. Then suddenly you remember what's missing, and it's startling. I hope that's your situation, you deserve it.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

I had a dream that I was eating three large scoops of ice cream for breakfast. I think that one counts as a wish fulfilment dream :)

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:47 pm UTC

I had a dream about I don't even know what. It started with a bunch of divers interacting with a large squid that then went homicidal on them. It ended with a very parkour-ish fight scene in a hidden cave in australia between a bad guy who didn't want it found, and the protagonist who was still pissed at the bad guy for somehow causing the squid attack. The front of the cave was filled with consumer electronics and it was very rectangular, and the back was filled with books. I think it may have been a retail store from some sort of before time. I don't remember if they were studying the squid or praying to it.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:20 pm UTC

I just started watching Fringe on Netflix, so my dreams were all about teleporation and people melting. And since my hands go numb when I sleep funny on my arms, I kept waking up believing my hands had melted. Not restful.

ajh

Postby ajh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:25 am UTC

Being chased seems to be a recurring theme, if I actually remember something. Latest dream took place on a running track, shaped like an 8. My friend and me were trying to run away from a band of humanoids. They had animal heads or something? But they were faster and stronger and more cunning as usual. Each lap we got to choose whether to right or left, one loop was shorter, but the other was a lot smoother. Somehow I got ahead of the others, which is where the interesting part ends - I woke up a couple of minutes later anyway.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:59 am UTC

I don't know what my dream was but it drifted over into the half sleep of waking up in the middle of the night. I clearly saw an arm coming out of my shirt rack and put up clean shirts. The arm was dirty and bloody but I was sure the shirts were clean and freshly washed. Weird.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:17 am UTC

I dreamt that there was a girl living in a tower on the mountain behind my house. The surrounding area was under attack by unspecified enemies flying military jets. This girl's job was to control the weather (technologically, not magically) in order to fight off these attacks. I had no direct part in this, but watching fighter jets doing battle with huge weaponized thunderstorms was pretty cool (for some reason I didn't feel in danger, maybe the girl was just really good at her job).

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:30 pm UTC

I was leaving a car dealership I think. Was walking back to my car, and it had a delivery sign on top of it, I think for Jimmy Johns. I removed it, and set it on the sidewalk. I was thinking that delivery guys apparently just used whatever car was nearby to deliver food. I saw the delivery guy come out, he saw the sign, smiled, grabbed it, then jumped on a large motorcycle.

I started leaving the car dealership, and the road kept getting longer. I was also thinking about how I’d have to make a left turn onto a busy road, so maybe I should find a different route. There were cones in the road blocking off the middle, but I still could have taken a left. Instead, I took a right at an intersection a little way before the busy road. I was going to find a stoplight, and use that to get onto the busy road. Instead, I kept getting farther and farther from my goal I got lost, and just couldn’t figure out where I was or how to get home. At one point for some reason I was walking, and had a laundry basket. I was thinking about laying in it, and pushing myself along with my legs.

Then I was driving again, and I was drunk or somehow under the influence. I was trying to get home, and came to this stoplight. It was green for me, but there were 6-8 cop cars on the road to the right. They stopped, but a few stopped most of the way into the intersection. I had to slowly swerve around the front of their cars, then kept driving.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

Dreamt my three year old stole an airplane, and was buzzing the airport while everyone on the ground and in the tower were trying to get her to come down. She refused, and then turned off the radio. And then buzzed the tower, like almost clipped a wing on it close, but she had an amazing level of control (she was a better pilot than I am). And then I thought, "oh no - she doesn't know how to land," right as she was coming in on approach way too fast. I woke up before she made it down.

something like this:
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:26 am UTC

Dreamed I was living down the street from Alice Cooper, and walked over to his house; his kids were having a swim party. He was chatting me up, leaning forward close to me, and I was worried his wife would be jealous.

(The Coop is a recurring theme. Sometimes I'm working with him or for him, and sometimes it's more personal. These dreams are usually followed by good luck or success. So... Right on, man!)

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:24 pm UTC

I had a dream that there was a man whose daughter had been kidnapped by a cartel, and he was trying to track her down. He had an inexplicably inexhaustible supply of money, so he would always start by trying to bribe people, and then if they were part of it, he'd try to torture the information out of them, and then finally he'd kill them. He hired a couple of mercenaries to accompany him. One day he offered someone money and the guy laughed and immediately tried to kill him, but after taking so many shots he literally couldn't move in a gunfight, the money was offered again, to the bewilderment of everyone, and the guy took it. By this point the process had been going on for a very long time with no progress of consequence being made, except that they'd continued to grab cartel money that they found. One of the mercenaries left at this point, the other stayed. The mercenary that left reflected back on the whole thing and came to the conclusion that the man wasn't even looking for his daughter; either he didn't have one, or she'd been dead for a long time. He was simply trying to give doomed men a chance to profit from doing good rather than evil in an environment that would have otherwise disallowed it. The last image in my dream was of the guy who took the bribe, similarly riddled with bullet holes, dead, but in very nice, yet practical clothing. As you went down the street though, there were hundreds of corpses, going on and on, their heads propped up off the street on the curb, who had been run over by a steamroller, so that there was a bloody smear leading to a head and nothing else.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:43 am UTC

I had a dream that I taught Patrick Stewart how to fly (as in swoop around in the air with arms outstretched, not fly an aeroplane). We flew from my friend's apartment in London, to my Grandparents house on the East Coast (of England) so that I could show him around, because he wanted to see it. I can't decide what was more awesome about that dream - flying like a bird or being mates with Patrick Stewart.

This dream was kind of a weird partially lucid one - I tried the flying thing, and once I realised I could fly I said to Patrick "okay, this is a dream, that means you can fly too, here's how you do it". I knew it was a dream, but thought that Patrick Stewart was really Patrick Stewart, sharing my dream with me.

Samik

Postby Samik » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:35 am UTC

Dr34m(4+(h3r wrote:Awwww, you were a Class D SCP personnel in a past life.

Been in a bit of a dream drought, so I finally got around to writing down one of my all-time favorite dreams, which actually involves an SCP entry. (I've never been in a rush to write this one down, as I am in no danger of forgetting it. One of the most awesome and frustrating dreams I've ever had.)

I will include a warning:horror here. The dream is not especially horrific to me, and I doubt would be to most people, but the content (fairly loyal to SCP canon) might be more than some care to read.

Spoiler:
There are three characters in this dream: myself, SCP-096* (shy guy) and Kai from Lexx.

(Tl;dr: SCP-096 is a humanoid unstoppable killing abomination that can't be destroyed or contained, and brutally slaughters anyone that sees its face. Kai is a "de-carbonized" Divine Assassin that is similarly unstoppable/indestructable.)

The dream takes place at a vacation home owned by some relatives of mine. At the moment, only Kai and I are there, just chillin'. Apparently we're friends or something - no real details provided.

As the dream begins, I'm on my way to use the toilet. Enter the bathroom, shut the door, sit down, start doing the do, when I notice what appears to be light coming from the air vent on the floor in front of me. I finish up, then get on all fours to try to look down into the vent. It definitely appears as if there's a lightsource off to the right. Oddly, the right wall of the bathroom is on one end of the house - there should not be anything that way but a wall and then the open air of outside.

The vent at some point conveniently became large enough so that I could remove it and stick my entire head down to get a better look. I do this, and see that the shaft continues several meters off to the right - much farther than it should possibly be able to go, based on the dimensions of the house. The light is coming down from another vent farther down.

I call to Kai, and ask him to go to the end of the hallway and knock/test/whatever, and see if he can determine anything. He does so, but doesn't hear or feel anything odd.

I tell him to hang there, and keep listening/checking, because I'm going to climb down into the vent (at some point it conventiently became large enough for me to do this), and try to squirm over to the vent that the light is coming down from, and see what's there.

We stay in voice contact as I do this, and after a minute I've wrigled far enough down to look back up through the next vent. What I see is a room, something like a library, old, dusty and still. The opposite wall of the room is angled at 45 degrees, from a meter off the ground to the ceiling, and there is one large window centered in it, with bright daylight streaming down. Bookshleves and dressers line the walls, and a large desk with chair occupy the middle of the room, back of the chair facing me.

In the chair is what appears to be a corpse. In fact, it is SCP-096, with all of its characteristic features (morbidly out-of-proportion limbs, emaciated frame, hairless pallid complexion), but my dream doesn't really impart that information on me yet. To me, it at first looks like a wasted corpse - someone who had died in that room and never been removed (and hadn't really rotted for some reason) - slouched over in the chair, finger tips touching the ground.

I quickly notice that the one exit from the room - a door on the wall that would lead to the "house" that should exist, has been bricked up. It seems to me that someone trapped this poor boy in this library, and left him to waste away and die for some reason.

I consider the tiny possibility that this person may be still hanging on to life, so I call out to him. No response. I call back to Kai to start breaking through the wall, so we can either rescue him, or at least investigate. Kai begins to do so.

At this point, the dream transfers my awareness into Kai. The "me" in the vent is forgotten about entirely for the rest of the dream.

After a moment, Kai succeeds in tearing a hole in the wall large enough to look through and confirm the existence of the impossible room and the body (seeing it from the side). He calls in to it - no response again. He continues tearing through the wall, in short order creating a large enough hole to step inside. He steps forward and calls to the boy once more.

Here, the creature slowly turns its head towards Kai. Pale leathery skin, thin slits of closed eyelids, greasy lips... after a few seconds it turns its head back front - another beat passes - then the mouth opens, unhinging far wider than a human's could, and it begins to scream. As the scream comes out, the eyes open, but they too join into another, larger mouth, tooth-filled, that tilts back, opening the entire head, doubling and trebling the scream.

In a flash, an impossible to follow gangle of limbs, the creature flies out of its chair and closes the distance from itself to Kai/me. Wraps its limbs around "me" and sinks every tooth in its lower mouth deep into my neck.

[[In real life, I've often had episodes of sleep paralysis. My dreams have latched onto that sensation and tended to employ it in cases usually of horror or animal attack. I.E. whenever some critter is attacking and chewing in to me, I'm usually physically unable to do anything about it, for no apparent reason. Can't run, can't scream, can't fight it off - just stuck there for long seconds as the attack proceeds. There's no in-dream explanation for this - it's just an unfair thing that happens some times.]]

The same thing happens this time, at first. After a second, however, a lightbulb goes off. This isn't the normal, average me that's ususally getting attacked in a dream. This is Kai. An unstoppable divine assassin. "I've" survived a planet being blown up around me. I've been chopped into pieces countless times and just put myself back together. “I killed mothers with their babies. I've killed great philosophers, proud young warriors, and revolutionaries. I've killed the evil, the good, the intelligent, the weak, and the beautiful. I have done this in the service of His Divine Shadow and his predecessors, and I have never once shown any mercy." (Alas, this monologue did not actually occur in the dream.)

(At this point, there's some understanding of what this thing is - not acquired from anywhere - the dream just seems to be leaking some knowledge to me. The thought process is basically, "Ok, this may be some unstoppable, invincible monstrosity, but I'm not exactly chopped liver.")

At the moment of this realization, "I" place my hand against the chest of SCP-096, and use that wrist-grappler/blade thing I have to send him smashing across the room into the back wall.

In real life, my alarm clock wakes me up.

And, as soon as I realize what just happened, I. Am. Pissed. I can't help but feel like I was robbed of getting to witness an all-time great dream battle. Who knows - maybe my subconsious wouldn't have been up to the challenge of rendering something worthy. But the fact that I didn't even get to find out...

Though frustrating, it's still one of my "favorite" dreams because, in hindsight, the Kai / SCP-096 matchup is just too perfect. I'm surprised my subconscious even came up with it. What is especially interesting to me is how the dream slowly leaked information about the nature of the creature; it was visually rendered faithfully as 096 from the moment it appeared, but dream-me didn't recognize it as such until the attack began. So: did my subconscious have the whole thing planned out from the beginning - selecting 096 and Kai as worthy opponents, but hiding the nature of the encounter from dream-me until the last second? Or was it just dumb luck - the dream threw random characters from my memory together, and it just so happened to be a fantastic pairing?

addams

Postby addams » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:36 am UTC

You people get some complicated dreams.
When I dream, I dream simple.

I had a dream last night.
For some reason it was memorable.

I was standing with a group of people.
I had a vague sense of who these people were.

An Asian Chemist, old friend long gone.
A Mechanic from MIT, old friend long gone.

Neal from the Time thread.
Maybe Marsh'n from Time.

We were looking at a hanging pot I have.

That pot has very sturdy construction.
It can and does hold a lot of weight.

The pot dropped about four inches.
It was like Everyone asked, "What is That Heavy?"

Everyone answered, "Plutonium."
And; Everyone started backing away.

I woke up.
(shrug) dreams are silly.

What the Hell is a chunk of Plutonium doing in my hanging planter?

Maybe, Lady Godiva is still an unanswered question, for me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godiva_device
Maybe, my subconscious thinks Lady Godiva can show up in AnyOne's Garden. (poof!)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu May 07, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

I had a dream last night that I saw a bald eagle fight a tiger in my neighbor's yard behind my house, and I was super thrilled and went to film it, but by the time I got my camera out the bald eagle was gone and so I was disappointed that it was just my neighbor's tiger that's "always there". (My neighbor doesn't actually have a tiger in their yard, but in the dream, that was a routine sight; it was just the bald eagle swooping at it that was remarkable).

That's a thing that I find very interesting about dreams, that they can give not only false perceptions but even false memories. I remember long ago having a very unsettling (upon waking) dream where something pretty mundane was happening with my sister and I and some friends... except I don't have a sister. But in the dream there was a girl there who was totally my sister who I had known my entire life, and it was jarring to wake up and remember that this loved one I was just dreaming about never existed in the first place.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue May 12, 2015 8:55 pm UTC

I had some enormously complicated dream involving time travel devices, altering the timelines, and the integration of various corrupted forms of media into the timeline. Cyber-zombie My Little Ponies were, at one point, standing in our way, thanks to the timelines being adjusted by my rescuing my children at one point. It had a very "Year Of Hell" feel by the end (some of you will get that). It was a very violent dream, involved a lot of gothic Bizzarchitecture, and I remember thinking in-dream that it was slightly reminiscet of Hellraiser and the Lament Configuration.

It was kind of a relief to wake up.

Dr34m(4+(h3r

Postby Dr34m(4+(h3r » Fri May 15, 2015 1:13 pm UTC

There was a gigantic rave that attracted people on the scale of the Davos conference or perhaps even the Olympics. They built a whole village for it, including a Whole Foods. Nobody bought anything except snack food and drinks though, so they marked down the seafood a lot at the end. I hadn't gone to the rave but I showed up to the Whole Foods specifically to buy seafood, and wound up getting Oysters, Lobster Tails, and Shrimp for $30, after navigating a giant crowd of grumpy young people dealing with the aftereffects of liquor and drugs.

Then I was going to sneak up to the now abandoned penthouse, eat the food, and throw myself out the window to my death. I saw Bill Murray eating free samples near the penthouse elevator and I asked him to unlock it. He said "Yeah, sure. Hey, you're not going to just eat that food and then throw yourself out the window to your death, are you?" I said yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to do, and he responded "oh alright then". So he unlocked it, and I got in and the doors closed, but then the lights went out and I lost consciousness, and when I came to I was in a wooden box with an air hole looking out over the edge of a pickup tailgate at a highway. I heard Bill Murray say "You know, you really shouldn't let strangers put you in boxes. It might not be the box you want. Then you'll end up being stuck in a box for two days while being shipped cross country."

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:47 am UTC

I was racing in a Nascar event. I was at a huge disadvantage, however, because after I damaged my car, my crew replaced the engine with a charcoal grill. I'm surprised it even ran at all.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:21 pm UTC

I had these weird, papery fugal boils on my arms. Every time I popped or flattened them a new growth appeared elsewhere. Eventually, I gave up trying to manage the outbreak and accepted my fate.
Prophetic or a consequence of my watching a few David Cronenberg films last weekend? Perhaps.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:37 pm UTC

Martha and Lois are sisters.
They were my cousins in real life.

I have not seen either of them in longer than you have been alive.
They were both wild, they had secrets and both had a mean streak.

It was a long, complicated dream.
I was the driver, as usual.

They were telling me where to drive to.
They were bitching and complaining.

As fucking usual.
There are good reasons I did not seek their company in real life

There was a man unknown to me.
There were clothes made of motorcycle gear material.

I had a full outfit, too.
I felt confident dressed that way.

A good set of motorcycle gear is very protective.
I wore that a lot in real life. I have experience.

We went into a dark place with mean people.
I was being hurt. I was helpless.

I woke up pushing myself up onto my elbow yelling.
I was yelling, "Please! Get me out go here!"

How fucking weird.
It seemed so real.

I don't like nightmares.

After I woke, I took several sleeping pills
Then, I slept a long time, for me.

The day dawns with sun and a gentle breeze.
I'd like my head to not do that again.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “General”