Talk About Your Ethnicities!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wocket

Talk About Your Ethnicities!

Postby wocket » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:37 am UTC

Inspired by the Misconception thread discussion, I give you this topic. No, it's not a poll, because there are far too many options.

Here, I'll start:
I am white, yet freckly.
My heritage: Irish, Italian, German, and possibly some English.

4=5

Re: Talk About Your Ethnicities!

Postby 4=5 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:39 am UTC

wocket wrote:Inspired by the Misconception thread discussion, I give you this topic. No, it's not a poll, because there are far too many options.

Here, I'll start:
I am white, yet freckly.
scandinavian + some other stuff

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:41 am UTC

Irish + German = White.
I really wanted this to be a poll though... :?
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:41 am UTC

I'm a white male. I feel vaguely lucky. (in terms of discrimination)

My heritage is mostly from Sweden.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:42 am UTC

Chinese.

No poll? But polls make me happy...can't we just include an "other" category? It's easier to see results than to scroll through pages and pages (if/when this thread gets to be that long) of people's ethnicities.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:42 am UTC

Half white (I have no idea what kind of white, but I'm guessing Irish) and half Puerto Rican.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:43 am UTC

Euopean Guttertrash

Oh, sure, I know that my grandparent's surnames are English, English, English, and Welsh, but I also know enough to know I'm pretty much a bit of everything Europe has to offer. And apparently a tiny bit of what the New World offers as well. And probably some African within the last 500 years or so. I can't really count my African ancestors of several hundred thousand years ago.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:43 am UTC

Ancestry: (approx.) 50% Scottish, 25% Dutch, 25% Irish.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:49 am UTC

75% Greek, 25% Armenian. In other words, 100% loud, 100% hairy.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:50 am UTC

une see wrote:Chinese.

No poll? But polls make me happy...can't we just include an "other" category? It's easier to see results than to scroll through pages and pages (if/when this thread gets to be that long) of people's ethnicities.

Poll of.. what? For every idiot who proudly says "I'm Irish!" (even though none of their ancestors have lived on the Emerald Isle for the last 400 years) yet still considers every Asian to basically be the same, there's a Laotian going "Irish, Italian, Spanish.. what's the difference?"

So.. what options?

East European
West European
British Islander
North African
West African
South African
South American
North American, Eastern
North American, South Western
North American, Western
Arctic Native (Hey, Inuit, Inupiaq, Yup'ik are different enough culturally from the rest of the Native Americans to get their own group too)
Pacific Islander
Aboriginal
Middle Eastern
Indian
Pakistani
friggen Kalasha...

So.. yeah, hard to do without pissing somebody off.

*and I know I missed several groups... like Armenian/Turkish, etc, as the person above is part of, apparently. And it's probably wrong to lump the Turks and Armenians together anyway.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:52 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
une see wrote:Chinese.

Poll of.. what? For every idiot who proudly says "I'm Irish!" (even though none of their ancestors have lived on the Emerald Isle for the last 400 years) yet still considers every Asian to basically be the same, there's a Laotian going "Irish, Italian, Spanish.. what's the difference?"

So.. what options?

East European
West European
British Islander
North African
West African
South African
South American
North American, Eastern
North American, South Western
North American, Western
Arctic Native (Hey, Inuit, Inupiaq, Yup'ik are different enough culturally from the rest of the Native Americans to get their own group too)
Pacific Islander
Aboriginal
Middle Eastern
Indian
Pakistani
friggen Kalasha...

So.. yeah, hard to do without pissing somebody off.

I don't mind being pissed off. For the purposes of...efficiency? Well, I don't really care that much, I guess.

Carry on now. Apologize for the disruption!
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:53 am UTC

My Mom's side is british isles and they are a royal pain about it. They can trace back forever. My Dad's side is a lot murkier. Hard to say much before they arrived in the US. Some German, some Polish, some wherever they were allowed to settle. Most died in the camps. To make it really tough to look up, seems they respelled the name everywhere they went, to fit in.
...the whim of a hat.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Re: Talk About Your Ethnicities!

Postby TigerX » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:54 am UTC

wocket wrote:Here, I'll start:
I am white, yet freckly.

I am a red head, white and freckly.
My heritage: English, Welsh, German, French, and others.

Mom's side is the mutt... Dad's side is Canadian French.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:56 am UTC

50% French with maybe a hint of German
50% European Guttertrash (British Isles flavors)

In short, the most nondescript person ever: Light brown hair, brown eyes, pale skin. Average height, average weight (American) average build, average look of disdain while riding the subway...
Last edited by (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ on Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:57 am UTC

As was said in the thread this split from, my paleface ancestors and a dude I used to know named Manish Patel...

Both of us are Caucasian.

Three races. Thousands of ethnicities, and each one probably has a few dozen cultures associated with it. Lots of overlapping, though. Fun times.

Honestly, I'm an American. If I wanted to say I'm a part of any kind of cultural group, it'd be Kentuckian.

We're completely different from the Hoosiers, or the Buckeyes, or the other states that don't get cool nicknames.

Maybe it's just me... I seem to be getting more and more... agitated... by people lumping themselves in with cultural groups of which they aren't a part. The only people I consider African that I've met have fairly thick accents. Same thing with the Irish, or Germans, or fill-in-the-blank. Pretty much everyone else I've ever met in my life has been American.

Screw Ethnicity. Just another damned way of separating people, as if we don't have plenty of other ways to do it.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:58 am UTC

About 50% German (from both parents), 25% Danish, 12.5% English and 12.5% Welsh. 100% awesome.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:01 am UTC

@SecondTalon: Why'd you even post in this thread then?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:16 am UTC

For the same reason I post in any thread. To amuse myself.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:20 am UTC

Genetically I'm a horrible mix of European. My grandmother did geneaology stuff before she died, so I know quite a bit of my ancestry. One of my ancestors was an Italian rebel a while ago. I also have a bit of Maori blood in me, as my great grandmother was pretty much full blood Maori (Ngati Kahungunui), but I don't identify as Maori. Most of my family has been here for a while, so if you would ask, my ethnicity would be Pakeha and my race would be European Pacific Islander. Actually, when I think about that, it sounds really wrong. What are the definitions of race and ethnicity.

I'm a Pakeha (genetic) and a Pacific Islander (geographically). That's the best I can afford.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:23 am UTC

I'm basically of the ethnicity that is the standard of comparison for all others... (at least in America).

I took an online test that apparently decides what type of accent you have, and I came up with essentially no accent at all...

kcr

Postby kcr » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:36 am UTC

Rodan wrote:I took an online test that apparently decides what type of accent you have, and I came up with essentially no accent at all...

oo.. I've taken that. I too got the boring no accent result.

I'm white/Caucasian/whatever you want to call it and American. My great-grandparents and grandparents and came from Ireland/Wales and Sicily, respectively. I don't feel any strong attachment to either culture, though my dad is definitely full of Italian pride whereas my mom doesn't really care a whole lot about being Irish, so that has rubbed off on me.
Last edited by kcr on Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:36 am UTC

Until I realized this was a non-racist thread, I was kind of excited...

I'm a blend of everything European except Italian, French and Spanish.
Sometimes when I'm sick, or feeling blue, I drink vinegar. I like all kinds: balsamic, vodka, orange juice, leaves.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:40 am UTC

Trevor, I love your avatar.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:45 am UTC

how can you hate tony danza though? He single handedly ruined the name Angela!

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:45 am UTC

It makes me sad and annoyed everytime at work, when I'm taking a call and I'm asking about the persons race/ethnicity, when they answer "American". I know they mean Caucasian, but ..."American??" That's horrible.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:47 am UTC

America just stole it from Europe anyway...

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:50 am UTC

There is too many options and mixes, maybe if there was a multi option poll, but there iusn't.

If you are black please post it in huge letters, because I want to know if there are any black people here, on two other 'nerd' forums I've been on both discovered there were no black people. Weird.

Im Half Polish, 1/16 fijian, 1/4 italian, little bit Cornish and Portuguese.

Med. dark skinned though, easily tanned. White ass though.

Edited for ASS
=]

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 am UTC

I think people here understand the fact that no poll can account for all possibilities, and wouldn't get offended if left out. For the record, this was the US Census questionnaire on race in 2000:

Unfortunately, the forum sofware doesn't allow for multiple choices. Perhaps someone could put something on an external site and link to it from here?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:15 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Unfortunately, the forum sofware doesn't allow for multiple choices.

This is where I recommend vBulletin.
Sometimes when I'm sick, or feeling blue, I drink vinegar. I like all kinds: balsamic, vodka, orange juice, leaves.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:21 am UTC

German and French
Last edited by The Mighty Thesaurus on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:24 am UTC

Caucasian Canadian - Dutch, Canadian, British. 50% dutch, the rest being mostly Canadian (some of my ancestors' lines have been traced back to the exodus of loyalists around the American Revolution and I can attach UEL to my name), and very diluted British (4th generation British Canadian maximum)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Jauss

Postby Jauss » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:25 am UTC

I'm a mutt!

Both of my parents were born and raised (up until their pre-teens/early teens) in Jamaica and then moved to the States.

They were both mixed and so were all of their parents. My father looks (and is) mostly white and has green eyes like his Russian/? descended mother and his West European/Indian father. My mom is a medium brown and comes down from Africans, Europeans, and native Caribbeans.

Basically, I'm descended from African slaves (the Maroons) that married Arawaks, Afro-Jamaicans that married Germans, (India) Indians that married English, (whose offspring married Irish/Scots whose offspring married Russian Jews that ended up in Panama,) Cubans, and probably a few others as well.

I'm brown. (Or rather, varying shades of brown depending on how and where I'm living.) People usually see me as being black or latino, sometimes as Native American, and occasionally (especially when I was little) as Indian. I have something of an accent (or "weird speech thing" as I call it) because of my mom.

I write "other" or "multiracial" on forms. I identify as American* with Jamaican heritage. I have an affinity for several other groups; both those I'm descended from and those I'm not. I love being a mutt.

When I have money I want to do some serious genealogy tracking.

Edit:

*Specifically as a South Floridian (born n' raised) and as a North-westerner of the Portland variety (adopted hometown.) These are very different things indeed -- culturally, environmentally, everything -- but both big parts of who I am.
Last edited by Jauss on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Four out of five dentists prefer asses to hearts." - The Mighty Thesaurus

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:29 am UTC

To be quite honest, I have no idea what my ethnicity is.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:30 am UTC

On my mother's side I'm 5 generations Canadian.

On my father's, I'm Welsh. He was born in Wales.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:48 am UTC

Echinsu Ocha
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:48 am UTC

I am Afghan, you know nearly nothing about us or our culture :roll:

The stuff you think you know is wrong. :roll:
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:51 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:We're completely different from the Hoosiers, or the Buckeyes, or the other states that don't get cool nicknames.

fuck straight, only people from Ohio can claim to be Buckeyes.

don't you forget it!
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:02 am UTC

3.14159265... wrote:I am Afghan, you know nearly nothing about us or our culture :roll:

The stuff you think you know is wrong. :roll:

I love the way you make unfounded assumptions.

And by that I of course mean "I want Dream to put you into a nightmare of 'eternal waking.'"

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:07 am UTC

100% WASP.

xooll

Postby xooll » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:09 am UTC

I'm about half German, maybe a quarter Irish, a quarter random-other-stuff-because-my-dad-isn't-good-at-geneaology
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Return to “General”