What would you buy with $50 billion

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Josephine

Re: What would you buy with $50 billion

Postby Josephine » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Keep $1B for myself, give $49B to general AI and nanotechnology research. Singularity ahoy.

EDIT: That also takes care of most of the other things people mentioned in this thread. Trips to Mars, disease cures.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 am UTC

M.C. wrote:Half of it to Diabetes research, the other half to buy Dr. Pepper.

$25 billion of Dr. Pepper, bought in bulk would probably have a pretty substantial effect on the price of corn.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:12 am UTC

So, first invest half in corn stocks*, then use the other half to buy Dr. Pepper.

Profit!

*No pun intended...
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:40 am UTC

folkhero wrote:

$25 billion of Dr. Pepper, bought in bulk would probably have a pretty substantial effect on the price of corn.

Only a dirty communist would consider buying anything other than Dublin Dr. Pepper.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

Buy Princeton, Yale, and MIT, and donate them to Harvard. Force Yale to change its mascot to the kitten. Buy OSU, donate it to U-M. Buy the Yankees, donate joint ownership to Boston Public Schools and the Detroit Tigers.

Set aside enough to travel frequently and live comfortably without working. Donate the rest to… I dunno. Music education would probably be a priority.
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:14 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
folkhero wrote:

Only a dirty communist would consider buying anything other than Dublin Dr. Pepper.

My uncle loves those! He even has a vintage* Dr. Pepper vending machine that holds the original glass bottles that he gets from them.

* I use this term very loosely. Basically, it's old.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Donate the rest to… I dunno. Music education would probably be a priority.

I giggled, given your avatar.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

whatshisfoot

Postby whatshisfoot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

First, build a race track. Or multiple. I could make the the Nurburgring of the north western United States. Second, massive parking garage and super-sound-insulated house, within walking distance of the track. Then, one of these:
Spoiler:

Then one of these:
Spoiler:

And this:
Spoiler:

And this:
Spoiler:

And then every model BMW and Mercedes Benz have ever produced(every platform, like I wouldn't get a 328i and a 335i, just the 335i) plus all the M and AMG cars.
Also, not even spoilering this, it's too awesome to be contained within a spoiler:
M3 Pickup Truck. Too fucking cool.

Slpee

Postby Slpee » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:17 am UTC

Alright I'll take a crack at this:

-Good gaming computer
-Nice house, car etc. (all the usual stuff)
-A Cessna 172, heck my own private airport would be cool(I've got money apparently)
-Definitely finance e-sports a lot, give some money to establish a SC2 tourney and prize pool for western players only, put some money into financing new players to help grow the scene, buy a time slot on some TV channel (ESPN?) to broadcast some tournaments
-Give some money to FIRST, I love what they are doing for kids all around the world
-Throw some money into a jet-pack(They have to exist somewhere, right?)
-Oh and If its possible/legal I'd love to own a moon-rock, I don't care if I have to recreate Apollo to do it, I'm getting one.
-Ultimately, I'd want to start my own space program, establish a space station that is permanently manned, and basically throw all the money into making space travel more feasible, more common etc. That and develop a warp-drive! (I don't care what Einstein says FTL is possible somehow!)

That probably constitutes most of my money, I'd keep some to live off of quite comfortably of course.
"Are you insinuating that a bunch of googly eyes hot-glued to a Cheeto constitutes a sapient being?"
Can't let you brew that Starbucks!

Return to “General”