Reactions to your Job

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Meandrgonzo

Re: Reactions to your Job

Postby Meandrgonzo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

So I am a public accountant. In some people's minds that is awesome. In others the only thing I have going for me is that I don't work for the IRS. The pay is good, which helps since I am a single dad.

Pros:
Reasonable Money
Some degree of personal freedom
I don't have to live in my cube all the time.
Going to and meeting new clients = new places/new people, which always spices things up
I get to see how "the System" works a bit from the inside

Cons:
Often high stress
Office has been going corporate so no more happy hours and office parties
People rearrange your schedule all the time
People sometimes expect you to meet unrealistic expectations
The promotion many believe I should have gotten hasn't come, not for lack of effort, but (thanks to my manager friend getting frustrated and pulling me aside) I haven't specifically asked my dept. head despite my desire being common knowledge

So while he money is nice, the overall experience is par for the course

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 pm UTC

Usually I spout off something vague about working with computers, keeping servers running, etc. My degree is now officially in "keeping computer criminals out". By the time it gets to that they start asking about the security story of the week and/or Hollywood hackers. I guess I don't talk to enough people to get the "fix my electric razor" questions.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:24 am UTC

I love telling people I work at a nonprofit astronomy organization. They are always so confused as to why it exists. The most common comment is "...Wow, that's niche."
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:45 am UTC

> What's your job?
> I'm in the military.
> Oh, what do you do in the military?
> I'm a linguist.
> Ooh, what language?
> Russian.
> So... what exactly do you do?
> *sigh*

> What's your job?
> I'm in the military.
> Oh, are you getting deployed soon? (also possible: have you been to Iraq/Afghanistan yet?)
> *sigh*
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Softfoot

Postby Softfoot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

Stranger: So, what do you do?
Me: I'm a Speech Pathologist.
Various responses include:
- Faked stutter
- Faked lisp
- 'What's that?'
- 'Oh, I saw a Speech Pathologist when I was a child.' Me: 'What did you see them for?' Them: 'I don't remember, but we played lots of games'
- Extra attention paid to diction, rounded vowels and faked accents
- 'Oh, my dad/mum/grandparent saw a Speech Pathologist to help after their stroke/car accident/degenerative condition.' Me: 'was that around their communication or their feeding/swallowing?' Them: 'Huh?'

It occurs to me that part of what I do involves convincing small children that if someone comes into their kindergarten/preschool, it's ok to talk to them. This has happened at least once just after they've had a lesson on 'stranger danger'.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

I saw a speech pathologist when I moved to Connecticut from Northeastern Mass. I think they thought I was retahded.

Though my accent is gone, if I'm drunk, tired or angry, I get wicked Bostonian. Take that, speech pathologist!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:> So... what exactly do you do?
> *sigh*

Out of curiosity, why is this an unreasonable question?
Softfoot wrote:Various responses include:
- Faked stutter
- Faked lisp

I just want to say that that is incredibly dick of people.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
> *sigh*

It's not an unreasonable question. He just sits around sighing all day so that's his explanation.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Consultant for a software company:

"So you like make software for clients?" "Sometimes...but not really, usually I will just tell them how to build their software on top of our platform"
"So do you like sell them software?" "Sometimes... but my clients are paying me to be there. They really don't want another salesperson... we have plenty of those talking to them all the time"
"So do you install the software for them" "No, but sometimes I teach them how to install it so they can do it without me"
"So what do you do?" "I architect their enterprise systems for them and help make their own development teams more agile"
"So what do you do?" "I show companies how to follow different paradigms, build secure, efficient software, how to create a network infrastructure that is properly segmented for security, but still performs well..."
"I don't understand, but i get the sneaking suspicion you get paid too much"

Just for reference the answer to the first "So what do you do?" question is absurd if you're talking to someone who is not in software development. The fact that the next sentence has the term paradigms in it will almost certainly make people just roll their eyes at you.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Just for reference the answer to the first "So what do you do?" question is absurd if you're talking to someone who is not in software development. The fact that the next sentence has the term paradigms in it will almost certainly make people just roll their eyes at you.
Explaining my job to someone not in software development always end ups being kinda futile. Usually I will drop in a comment on traveling all the time and that will pique their interests and move the conversation onto something they enjoy.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
> *sigh*

It's not an unreasonable question at all, and I never said that it was. The sigh is more about me having to try to explain a classified job using unclassified terms (it's more difficult than you'd think) and less about me being annoyed with their question.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Noc
Put on her robe and wizard hat ALL NIGHT LONG

Postby Noc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

You could use the old "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you!" gem, and chortle in a self-satisfied manner as though you'd said something genuinely humorous.
Have you given up?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:
> *sigh*

It's not an unreasonable question at all, and I never said that it was. The sigh is more about me having to try to explain a classified job using unclassified terms (it's more difficult than you'd think) and less about me being annoyed with their question.

Ah! That's quite different from how I interpreted what you were saying.

To be honest, when people ask me what I do I almost always have a moments hesitation. "Pursuing a PhD in Biology" makes some people look like a deer in headlights, and it's already simplified from "Pursuing a PhD in Molecular Cell Biology". If explaining what I was working on was classified, I wager it'd be even more of a nightmare.

Although I do sometimes worry about talking about my research around here and getting scooped by people who might be in a similar field.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

My job: An engineer working on the design of missile systems.

Reaction to my job: "damn, I best not mess with you". Right, because I'm really going to lob a missile at your house if you annoy me. That's totally within my capabilities. :roll:

I always expect reactions along the lines of "How could you be involved in creating machines of death? Have you no guilt?" But that has never come up.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

Dearest SlyReaper: How could you be involved in creating machines of death? Have you no guilt? (I'm so sorry)

I am unemployed! There is not much of a reaction to this that I have noticed.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

Dearest Kewangji: How are you not currently involved in creating machines of death? Have you no shame?

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

Dason wrote:Dearest Kewangji: How are you not currently involved in creating machines of death? Have you no shame?

I said unemployed, not unoccupied!
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Softfoot

Postby Softfoot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:I saw a speech pathologist when I moved to Connecticut from Northeastern Mass. I think they thought I was retahded.

Though my accent is gone, if I'm drunk, tired or angry, I get wicked Bostonian. Take that, speech pathologist!

Because there's a problem with having an accent, or speaking a different language variety? If your speech pathologist was through the school system, I thought that they have to be able to show educational impact. How would having a Bostonian accent put you at an educational disadvantage?

Izawwlgood wrote:
Softfoot wrote:Various responses include:
- Faked stutter
- Faked lisp

I just want to say that that is incredibly dick of people.

Agreed. Also, the kind of people who think that this is an appropriate response also think they are being witty and original, and then wonder why I start lecturing them on harassment and discrimination.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

Softfoot wrote:Stranger: So, what do you do?
Me: I'm a Speech Pathologist.
Heh. I used to lisp and saw one in Elementary school. Running joke in our family was that as soon as I could properly say her name, I was done.
Spoiler:
Because her name was Misses Sipes.

Giant Speck wrote:> What's your job?
> I'm in the military.
> I'm a linguist.
> Ooh, what language?
> Russian.
> *sigh
Given the last sigh is for explaining classified things in nonclassified ways, can you answer the job with "I'm in military intelligence" or does that cause more problems than it solves?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:46 pm UTC

Kithplana wrote:I guess I don't talk to enough people to get the "fix my electric razor" questions.

"Son I thought you were good with machines."

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Softfoot wrote:
gorcee wrote:I saw a speech pathologist when I moved to Connecticut from Northeastern Mass. I think they thought I was retahded.

Because there's a problem with having an accent, or speaking a different language variety? If your speech pathologist was through the school system, I thought that they have to be able to show educational impact. How would having a Bostonian accent put you at an educational disadvantage?

Fuck if I know. It was the late-80s and I was 6. They didn't explain the whys and hows.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

I just get blank stares. Even in engineering, I'm in a fairly esoteric branch.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

marcel

Postby marcel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:59 pm UTC

When I worked with the circus, the standard reaction was: "As what? a clown?" or sometimes: "In the freakshow I bet."

Nowadays, as a bridge operator, I mostly get people who are interested in what I do, though sometimes people complain about how ridiculous it is that bridges in major roads and freeways are opened during the day.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

1)Vague, faked interest, because people don't care about state level politics.
2)Vague looks of horror, because everyone holds my line of work in contempt.
3)Telling me What's Wrong With This City/State/Country/World, because they seem to hold the delusion that a political science student working as a receptionist at a state leveling lobbying firm is in a position to enact their reforms. As well as the delusion that a political science student, working in politics, doesn't already have strongly formed opinions and that I'll look to their simplistic explanations of political reforms as greater wisdom.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:55 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:> What's your job?
> I'm in the military.
> I'm a linguist.
> Ooh, what language?
> Russian.
> *sigh
Given the last sigh is for explaining classified things in nonclassified ways, can you answer the job with "I'm in military intelligence" or does that cause more problems than it solves?

As a matter of fact, it does. The answer tends to not provide enough information for them and they end up just repeating the question again. That, or they start asking specific questions like "Oh, so you X?" or "Does that mean Y?" which I end up have trouble answering.

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

Well, I have no job right now, so the reactions range from "You're so lucky." to "Get a job, you bum!".

Expected reactions for my most likely future job:
"Do you work for CSI people?"
"Stay the hell away from my food."
"Mushrooms can't be that interesting."
"[accusations involving medical interglacial conspiracies and alternative medicine]"
Spoiler:
I want to study mycology and toxicology (mycological toxicology?).
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

People: What do you do?
Me: I'm a home visitor for a nonprofit funded by First Five.
People:...home visitor?
Me: I go to people's houses who have little kids, or who are pregnant, and teach them in-home parenting classes, bring stuff for them to do with their kids, and hook them up with resources.
People: So you're like a traveling kindergarten teacher!
Me: No. It's for the parents.
People: That's awesome, you're a good person/That's awful, my taxpayer dollars should not go to teach people parenting classes/I'm confused and didn't know that was a job.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:45 am UTC

I work in home medical care.

Most people go with a "oh, that's kinda nice" answer, others ask if I'm a doctor or something.

No, I'm basically a glorified delivery boy. I show up and haul heavy oxygen tanks. The most complicated thing I do is show someone how to run an oxygen concentrator*.

*You'd think people wouldn't have problems understanding "attach oxygen tube, hit power button"-level instructions, but you'd be surprised.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

yawningdog

Postby yawningdog » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

I dated a doctor once. On the first date, I asked what it's like being a doctor. She spent some time talking about it, and it was pretty interesting. I'm an IT professional, which is a career that I've not yet figured out how to make interesting to anyone not in it.

Date: "So, tell me about your work. You're in computers, right?"
Me: "Yes, I am. And I would be happy to tell you all about it. But remember, there is a reason they make TV dramas about doctors and hospitals, but not about IT people and datacenters."
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:15 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:which is a career that I've not yet figured out how to make interesting to anyone not in it.

Please tell me if you do :)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:
Date: "So, tell me about your work. You're in computers, right?"
Me: "Yes, I am. And I would be happy to tell you all about it. But remember, there is a reason they make TV dramas about doctors and hospitals, but not about IT people and datacenters."

thats it. we need a tv drama....

ill go get my DSLR camera. and actors. need actors. someone want to rent out their datacenter to us?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

Evengeduld wrote:
yawningdog wrote:which is a career that I've not yet figured out how to make interesting to anyone not in it.

Please tell me if you do :)

He could tell them how he codes Visual Basic GUIs to track murderers' IP adresses.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:17 am UTC

yawningdog wrote:Date: "So, tell me about your work. You're in computers, right?"

Well, they're getting closer. They have a show about a call center...
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:37 am UTC

Wait, The IT Crowd isn't a drama?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:38 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Wait, The IT Crowd isn't a drama?

It's not an American show so it clearly doesn't count.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:47 am UTC

Feddlefew wrote:I want to study mycology and toxicology (mycological toxicology?)

I forget the toxin name, but it was always mentioned in Mol Bio classes; in short, a femtogram per megagram of body weight is sufficient to stop all DNA polymerase. It's ubersuperridiculously deadly. Mycology is fucking awesome. (I have also grown mushrooms, and found the process to be about as neat as the shrooms themselves).

I've thought of going into pathology if this line fails.

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:47 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Feddlefew wrote:I want to study mycology and toxicology (mycological toxicology?)

I forget the toxin name, but it was always mentioned in Mol Bio classes; in short, a femtogram per megagram of body weight is sufficient to stop all DNA polymerase. It's ubersuperridiculously deadly. Mycology is fucking awesome. (I have also grown mushrooms, and found the process to be about as neat as the shrooms themselves).

I've thought of going into pathology if this line fails.

Yay! Another person who likes toxicology and mushrooms!

I was about to say it might be ricin, which stops ribosomes from functioning, but then I reread what you wrote. I've never heard of that particular one. To the wiki!

Found it!

Edit: Nope, wrong dose. It takes about .1 mg to kill a person.
Last edited by Feddlefew on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:49 am UTC

Feddlefew wrote:I was about to say it might be ricin, which stops ribosomes from functioning, but then I reread what you wrote. I've never heard of that particular one. To the wiki!

You seem knowledgeable. Suppose one goes into a forest, catch a random snake, and eat its glands. What's the average reaction that would happen?

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Feddlefew wrote:I was about to say it might be ricin, which stops ribosomes from functioning, but then I reread what you wrote. I've never heard of that particular one. To the wiki!

You seem knowledgeable. Suppose one goes into a forest, catch a random snake, and eat its glands. What's the average reaction that would happen?

Off the top of my head in the wee hours of the morning:
Depending on where you live, most likely nothing. Most species of snakes' venom is not toxic to humans.

If you were to actually try that with a snake that could kill you, which I asume is the reason why you would be consuming venom in the first place, you would (probably) die if the toxin entered your bloodstream. I can't say that it will, because it has to not be denatured by stomach acids and proteins, then be absorbed into the bloodstream somehow.

In short(er): That's an incredibly stupid idea. Don't do it.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:01 am UTC

In short(er): That's an incredibly stupid idea. Don't do it.

No, just asked the question because I was just curious about that part:

Feddlefew wrote: because it has to not be denatured by stomach acids and proteins, then be absorbed into the bloodstream somehow.

Return to “General”