Getting a talk box for Christmas -- which one should I buy?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hooch

Getting a talk box for Christmas -- which one should I buy?

Postby Hooch » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

Although I question how much I'll actually use it in the long run, I would like to actually have my hands on a (factory-made) talk box. My father and I have talked about making one, but it would probably take too much time and money to make something so bootleg.

With this in mind, I'd like to ask for a talk box for Christmas. An ideal setup for it is being able to plug the box into my computer to run a melody on some software (most likely FL Studio), or plug it into my keyboard and play something from there. I would most definitely prefer the former. Before I scatter myself all over the internet, what kind of box, brand, or store would be ideal for this setup? Any help would be wonderful.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Dhes

Re: Getting a talk box for Christmas -- which one should I b

Postby Dhes » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

I’m in no way a musician and have never used a Talkbox so I would never dream of giving any kind of advise on what brand/type to buy.
But, you can make a ghetto Talkbox out of cheap PC speakers with build in amp, the top of a coke bottle and an aquarium tube.
I’m dyslexic, so I tent tot pull things way out of contacts.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

research indicates that it's not terribly difficult to make one from scratch. if you don't think you'll use it that much, it makes more sense to build one, even if it's not quite as good as a "real one"
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Thanks for the suggestions, but the priority so far is to go ahead and try to buy one, as stated in the original paragraph. I've seen one-or-two real ones used, and I'd like to take my chances.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

Return to “General”