Dial Dillema

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

__Kit

Dial Dillema

Postby __Kit » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:43 am UTC

You have the opportunity to determine the beauty level and intelligence level of your child, before the child is born, simply by turning two dials from 0 to 10, 10 being high. "5" is average.

I would turn both to 10.

To what number would you set your dials?
=]

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:49 am UTC

Beauty: 7
Intelligence: 8

[EDIT] Go much higher and it'd become all to easy for them.
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:50 am UTC

Why make someone suffer?
=]

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:50 am UTC

Four. That would give them a chance to discover life as it really is, not life where everything is given to them because they are brilliant and pretty. It would make them work harder to achieve things, and IMO make them far greater human beings. Plus it's too much work to make the dials click past 5.

Edit: The suffering question was not addressed to me, but is probably more relevant. They wouldn't suffer. Suffering is determined by circumstance, choice and attitude, not by genetics. Smart, beautiful people can suffer. They would have to rise up and take what they want, and that is not suffering.
Last edited by pollywog on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Nuclear Spoon

Postby Nuclear Spoon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:51 am UTC

This is a tough one.
Intelligence would be 8, I think. Which I would say is a good balance between being smart and not being rejected by society for having a freakishly good brain.

Beauty, in my opinion, is a thing which applies differently to every person. I would still be kind and give her a 7.
www.gaming4charity.org

Mouffles

Postby Mouffles » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:52 am UTC

I would give intelligence 10 and beauty 4. But what about things like perserverence? I would rate that higher than intelligence.
In the spirit of taking things too far - the 5x5x5x5x5 Rubik's Cube.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54 am UTC

There isn't a perseverance dial, that would be to easy, because you could set it to 10, and then it wouldn't be perseverance,
=]

PS_Mouse

Postby PS_Mouse » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:56 am UTC

__Kit wrote:Why make someone suffer?

If they were smart and beautiful they'd be able to breeze through life with minimal effort and probably become an arrogant dick along the way. It's not something I'd want to suffer through as a parent.

[EDIT] and considering how arrogant I am (despite not having either dial at 10), I imagine they'd have something of a predisposition towards arrogance anyway.
I think I used to have a porpoise; then again, that might have been a dream. | Eternal life comes to those who wait
Never forget how the brave Tenzing Norgay outsmarted the evil Edmund Hillary

Mouffles

Postby Mouffles » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

Intelligence doesn't make someone arrogant. It just means that they have greater potential, and other factors would determine whether they put their brain to good use. As a parent, I would want my child to have all the help they can get.
In the spirit of taking things too far - the 5x5x5x5x5 Rubik's Cube.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:08 pm UTC

Mouffles wrote:Intelligence doesn't make someone arrogant. It just means that they have greater potential, and other factors would determine whether they put their brain to good use.

This is true. However, I would hate for them to think that everything was easy (school, relationships etc) when they were growing up. I have a fairly high intelligence dial (7), but I'm not going to university, because I never learned how to work hard at school, as it was all so easy. Beauty dial's a bit lower, and I worked very hard to get into a relationship with people that I love. Beautiful people, I think, tend to be less likeable.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:11 pm UTC

I believe if someone had 10 intelligence, not like logical, but like INTELLIGENCE, they would have the sense to know what was happening and to try hard. Heck I'd prolly even tell them about the dials.
=]

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:07 pm UTC

Children already think their parents are the source of all their problems. Why encourage that? But if I had to choose, I suppose I'd go ahead and crank them both up to 10. Unless I also knew that my child would be a girl, in which case I'd probably set beauty at 7.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

10 for intelligence. They could accomplish some awesome stuff.

Beauty is a tough one. I'm gonna go with 9, and assume the intelligence will counteract all the bullshiat that might go along with being pretty.

Not 10, because nobody should be perfect. It'd look creepy if my kid looked like a photoshopped model. It's all relative anyways.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

LSK

Postby LSK » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

I would turn intellegence to 11. Then have my child watch 1980s cult movies.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

LSK wrote:I would turn intellegence to 11. Then have my child watch 1980s cult movies.

But why wouldn't you just have 10 smarter and make 10 be the top number and make that a little more intelligent?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

wocket

Postby wocket » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
LSK wrote:I would turn intellegence to 11. Then have my child watch 1980s cult movies.

But why wouldn't you just have 10 smarter and make 10 be the top number and make that a little more intelligent?

...My dial turns to 11!

darry

Postby darry » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:

this one goes up to 11...

CatProximity wrote:awesome. chieftain seconded. Adding zeppelin.

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

I wouldn't want to have to choose that for my children. I'd rather have them inherit whatever they get from me. At least that way I'd be able to understand them and help with their probems. And really, do you want to have to discipline a child smarter than you are?
Actually, I don't even want children. This is all hypothetical. Children are annoying and difficult to deal with. I know- I am one. Or at least was fairly recently.
[insert quote here]

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

I'd give them intelligence 10, beauty 6. That way, they're pretty alright looking, and they have the capabilities to do good things with their life, such as cure diseases or even run a country or something. Also, they'd have to make it through intelligence, as opposed to pure good looks. I'd probably send them to a private school or something, so that their intelligence would be celebrated rather than mocked. I would still try and keep them close to reality, though, by doing things such as volunteering at food banks and stuff like that. So they realise that life isn't just a private school.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

No way either of my dials are going to 10. A perfect face and a genius? Everything would come so easy to them. Half of the adventure in life is working for what you want. If everything you ever wanted was handed to you, how do you relate to those who have nothing handed to them? Conversely, though, I would not choose for them to be ugly, or stupid.

beauty: 5
intelligence: 7

Roun

Postby Roun » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

I'd put beauty at 6 and intelligence at 8.

If you put them both at 10, I think the child would become a little narcissistic.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

I'd put intelligence at 10 and beauty at about 5. I mean I don't want the kid to be butt-ugly, but things shouldn't be too easy for him/her socially. In my experience, a lot of the people who are too conventionally beautiful tend to have less personality and be less inclined to use what intelligence they have, instead trying to conform to the stereotype of basically being a stupid bimbo. I mean parenting is a big part of this, but I want them to have to care about academics a bit instead of just falling in with the popular and stupid.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:23 pm UTC

I'd roll a 3d3+1 for each of them. Don't want them far below average and would like to give them a chance at the highest possible, but I like fate.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

I'd turn them both to 10.

And then spend the child's entire life instilling them with a deep sense of guilt over how much better they have it than everyone else, so that they feel motivated to use their considerable intellect and social clout to give something back.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I'd turn them both to 10.

And then spend the child's entire life instilling them with a deep sense of guilt over how much better they have it than everyone else, so that they feel motivated to use their considerable intellect and social clout to give something back.

...or commit suicide under the enormous pressure of a raptor-parent.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

At which point I suddenly have more free time.

It's all good.

They/them

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

That is an incredibly optimistic view on the death of your children. :D

Because of you Belial, I will now have a great rest-of-my-day.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

Oh, you know. Cup half full, and all.

They/them

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

I'd rather not decide. So I'd get a small child of about age 4 or so to spin the dials for me, not telling the child what the dials were for. And promising a candy reward for the deed.

I think I'd get great results.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:17 pm UTC

pollywog wrote:Suffering is determined by circumstance, choice and attitude, not by genetics. Smart, beautiful people can suffer. They would have to rise up and take what they want, and that is not suffering.

Bull. Sure, it's not a on off switch for suffering, but do you really feel that someone with their dials at 10 would not be far less likely to suffer than someone at 4 or 5?

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:21 am UTC

I think putting them at 5, 5 would create an asshole kis, all the fuckheads at my school at 5,5 are immature little bitches, and assholes to everyone, never put them on 5, 5!

I think people are basing them on themselves :P (Intel. 10, looks, 6)
=]

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:22 am UTC

What is the variance on these trends? That makes a big difference. Is someone with a 9 going to be smarter than 90% of the population, 99%? What? My first thought was to make them deciles, but under that reading most of your answers are kind of cruel. I would like to think most of us here are above the 90th percentile for intelligence, but that would mean putting the dial at 9, which many of you think is too high.

Also, will my kid know I chose their attributes based on spinning a couple dials? If so, then for the sake of my own childrearing ease I'd go for 10s. Otherwise there'll be nothing but complaints about how I didn't do as much as I could have for them. If not, I'd pick whatever intelligence value puts them at about the 95th percentile, and beauty at about 75%.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:34 am UTC

I'm so happy somebody said that. I'm with Belial, i'd make them both ten, because they would be awesome. Why would you purposely not make your child as good as they can be? Also, whenever you saw them fail otherwise you'd be thinking to yourself "shit, if only I'd set that dial a bit higher..."
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:35 am UTC

Castaway wrote:

I'm so happy somebody said that. I'm with Belial, i'd make them both ten, because they would be awesome. Why would you purposely not make your child as good as they can be? Also, whenever you saw them fail otherwise you'd be thinking to yourself "shit, if only I'd set that dial a bit higher..."

That was my reasoning for intelligence being at 10, I just think they might be more likely to achieve success without a 10 on beauty. Maybe I'd up it a little more than the 5 I said, but I think a 10 there would tends towards them being less motivated to use what intelligence they have.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:55 am UTC

__Kit wrote:I believe if someone had 10 intelligence, not like logical, but like INTELLIGENCE, they would have the sense to know what was happening and to try hard.

Intelligence doesn't grant common sense. Because we don't spring into this world fully formed, setting the dial to 10, so that they have a maximised potential to be a genius wouldn't grant them a lick of sense. Also, I agree that setting the dial to 10 would have a much higher tendency of creating arrogant children.

Honestly, I'd set their intelligence a little higher than mine, but certainly not max. Maybe about 7 or 8.

I think I'd handle beauty the same way; set to about 6 or 7, attractive but not distracted.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:03 am UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:
__Kit wrote:I believe if someone had 10 intelligence, not like logical, but like INTELLIGENCE, they would have the sense to know what was happening and to try hard.

Intelligence doesn't grant common sense. Because we don't spring into this world fully formed, setting the dial to 10, so that they have a maximised potential to be a genius wouldn't grant them a lick of sense. Also, I agree that setting the dial to 10 would have a much higher tendency of creating arrogant children.

Honestly, I'd set their intelligence a little higher than mine, but certainly not max. Maybe about 7 or 8.

I think I'd handle beauty the same way; set to about 6 or 7, attractive but not distracted.

What is so wrong with arrogant children. If they are better than everyone else, why fake being stupid? I want my kids to be just like their arrogant daddy :twisted:

Shadeofblue

Postby Shadeofblue » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:10 am UTC

Personally I think that in making this thread you have proven that someone turned your intelligence dial to a '1'. :P

Seriously, though, why would you want to be able to predetermine your child's abilities. If you set the dial too low you will always feel bad about the decision you made, if you set it too high they will never be able to live up to your expectations. I'm oversimplifying, but I will bet my life that if you really could set these traits, you would end up sorely disappointed when your child doesn't end up the way you want them to.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:14 am UTC

Shadeofblue wrote:Personally I think that in making this thread you have proven that someone turned your intelligence dial to a '1'. :P

Seriously, though, why would you want to be able to predetermine your child's abilities. If you set the dial too low you will always feel bad about the decision you made, if you set it too high they will never be able to live up to your expectations. I'm oversimplifying, but I will bet my life that if you really could set these traits, you would end up sorely disappointed when your child doesn't end up the way you want them to.

Hey - for lack of better words - fuck you.

Calling me dumb! I never said I wanted too, when was that even mentioned?
It's just a discussion.

Pissin me off man.
=]

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 am UTC

One of the most intelligent people I know is incredibly modest. Actually, it's not that he's that modest, he just doesn't exactly realize how smart he is. He knows we all think he's smarter than us but he doesn't really get it. So I don't have any problems with setting intelligent to 10.

If you include "calculating" with intelligence, I might dial it down a bit. I know I'm very self-conscious and always think about what I'm doing, what people are thinking about me, what they should be thinking, what I should do instead etc. That's not a whole lot of fun.

Also, I don't think being beautiful will harm someone or help them in some exceptional way. One of my deepest beliefs is that pain is something that can't be related from one person to the next. What I mean is that everyone suffers and even people you think have perfect lives may suffer more than you over things you think trivial. So beauty is at 10 as well.

If I could add a touch of humility, I wouldn't have problems with cranking most of the dials to 10, I think. Interesting post.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:20 am UTC

Ten for everything! Because higher numbers = better reward in EVERYTHING.

Return to “General”