Random encounters years later

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Coding

Random encounters years later

Postby Coding » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

I have a new boss at work. She looked familiar to me from the start, but I couldn't place her until I learned her name today and thought, "That looks just like [x] from my club swim team ten years ago!"

I thought that it might just be a coincidence, since today I live over a thousand miles away from where I last saw her a decade ago. What are the odds, right? But then I asked her a couple questions, which confirmed that she was who I thought she was, and she said that I had also looked very familiar to her.

Ever encountered an old acquaintance years later in a totally different context and location from when you first got to know them?

Chum

Re: Random encounters years later

Postby Chum » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

I recently visited my girlfriend at her school in Florida. I'm from Massachusetts. While waiting for the cafeteria, I saw a guy who looked very familiar, to the point where I remembered his last name. It turns out we were in the same cabin at summer camp some four years ago...at a camp in MAINE.
Coincidences, it's nutty.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

I was once on vacation in Stockholm and, waiting for the metro, met a friend I hadn't seen in 4 years. She was also on vacation. One hell of a coincidence!

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

I had a math teacher in middle school who I really didn't like. And halfway through high school I went to go get my braces adjusted and there she was in the chair next to mine. Holy hawkward.

big boss

Postby big boss » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:37 am UTC

I was visiting a friend at college and ended up at a party with 2 girls from high school who were the hottest girls in school at the time and who I have not seen in about 6 years. We ended up playing strip poker and they were as hot as my younger self remembered :shock:
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:33 am UTC

From 2002 to 2004 I worked for a local Borders bookstore. This year I began a master's program and I found out that my old HR manager from the bookstore just graduated from that program.

From 2004 to 2005 I worked for a subprime mortgage lender. I got really close with this girl who also worked there but somehow missed making a real connection with her. We were both laid off in 2005. In 2006 I was visiting Hawaii for a concert and to visit Pearl Harbor and we met again at Waikiki Beach. She was on her honeymoon with her new husband. And she was five months pregnant at the time.

I really beat myself up over that one.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

ShaiDeshe

Postby ShaiDeshe » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

A while ago, I went out to lunch with a few colleagues to this health food place in the vicinity.
To cut a long story short, I used to sex the waitress in high school...

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

About 4 years ago I was visiting, along with some other friends, a friend who lives in St. Neots, Cambridgeshire for his engagement celebration (we all live quite some distance away). I ended up explaining the rules of Stealth Bumming to two girls in a pub (one of whom was very cute and who I got on very well with), we had a good laugh, and they took me and my friends to a local nightclub. We had a great night and really hit it off, though they were both taken. As I left I remember saying "It's been a pleasure to meet you, I'm sure we'll never see each other again. Have a great life."

Two years later I get a message on Facebook from the cute girl from that night, she tracked me down based only on my first name and a vague recollection of my band's name. I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased to hear from her after all that time, based on one fun night two years prior hundreds of miles from where I live.
Of course, I took it as fate and we met up next time I visited my friend in St. Neots, and we are now engaged!

... Actually... no, life doesn't work that way sadly. We exchanged a few emails after that, but we were both in relationships. We did arrange to meet up for a drink next time I was down visiting my friend, but it never panned out and I've lost touch again.

Still, it's one of those things that brings a smile to my face even now.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Dr.Buck

Postby Dr.Buck » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

While I was at university, a few of us went out for a night at the local cinema. I wandered off to get a tub of popcorn, and the girl behind the counter was very chatty, asked me how I was doing, how my course was going, etc, then asked for my number (much to the chagrin of my mates! :lol:) to give me a ring sometime. It was only when she addressed me by my name (for the second or third time...) that I realised she was familiar for some reason.

Turns out it was my cousin who I hadn't seen for probably around ten years! :shock:

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

ShaiDeshe wrote:A while ago, I went out to lunch with a few colleagues to this health food place in the vicinity.
To cut a long story short, I used to sex the waitress in high school...

I want desperately to use this phrase in completely inappropriate stories.

Ashblade

Postby Ashblade » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

I don't know if this counts but recently I found out my roommate for college this year is the great nephew of my kindergarten teacher who is still alive today. I hadn't heard from her in ages since she retired. Seems she remembered me too.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:58 am UTC

Nothing on the scale of 'years later', yet. I mean, I did meet up with my high school crush at a station years after I saw her last, but it was the station nearest to her house, so not exactly random. I guess the best I can do is when few months ago a couple of friends and I went up to Seoul, and while going around the war museum we bumped into a friend from Changwon we hadn't seen in a few months - not too random, it's a popular museum - but later that same evening, we ran into the same friend again in a small dive bar on the other side of the city. The chances we'd meet up in the museum and end up in the same bar, in a city of 25 million people, have to be pretty small.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:15 am UTC

bumped into an old friend who used to live down my road when i was a kid at a music festival (which would have had tens of thousands of people in a massive area) half the country away (in the UK that's only a 3 hour drive but to us that's a long way) not once, not twice, but three years in a row!

Return to “General”