Bearpocalypse

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bears?

Bears!
47%
Bears!
53%

Total votes: 30

Menacing Spike

Bearpocalypse

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

Why aren't we seeing more bears in post-apocalyptic fiction works?

To take it a step further, what would you think of a book/film/game using zombie tropes, but with bears? Maybe your girlfriend was bitten by a bear before it was shot. A few days later, she starts hoarding salmon. She roars at you when you question her behavior. She gets more and more hairy and refuses to shave.
A week later, she starts foraging for grubs.
A month later, she's a full fledged bear.

Wouldn't that make a good setting? Bears are far more interesting than zombies: zombies are humans, but stupider, slower, and frailer; while bears can be hundreds of pounds of muscle and hate. Survivors would have to use the winter to go out and gather supplies, etc.

No?
Last edited by Menacing Spike on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Bearpocalypse

Postby philsov » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

And as winter sets in, the world is calm as the bears hibernate for the entire season, living off stored body fat made from the corpses of their enemies.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

So a plague of werebears? Could be cool.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:22 pm UTC

No, not werebears. That implies they can become human again. A plague of bears. Bears that were once human and may have vague memories of such, hence the constant need to return to shopping malls and grocery stores and the like, but they're bears. Not people bears. Bears.

Possibly on the internet.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:18 pm UTC

I thought this was about the word being overrun by some burly, bearded gay dudes. I am disappoint.

If I had a bear, his name would be Roosevelt, and I would call him Teddy for short.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

Hmm... (SFW)

Yeah, I have no problem with that either.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:No, not werebears. That implies they can become human again. A plague of bears. Bears that were once human and may have vague memories of such, hence the constant need to return to shopping malls and grocery stores and the like, but they're bears. Not people bears. Bears.

Possibly on the internet.

I was under the impression that in certain mythologies, were[insert cool animal here] transformations could be sufficiently long term to appear permanent but still controlled by factors beyond the person/[insert cool animal here]'s control (for example a selkie having their skin taken).
my pronouns are they

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

Sure, but that doesn't appear to be what's happening here. More like the Donkey bit of Pinocchio - once you're a bear, you're a bear all the way from your first sip of honey to your last dyin' day.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

Menacing Spike mentioned zombie tropes being applied to the bear-people, "the cure" is quite a common example (albeit one the characters often search for in vain) no?
my pronouns are they

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:03 am UTC

A bearpocalypse raises a bunch of questions - if we can have bears overrun the earth, why not other animals? I'd personally like to see a platypucalypse, especially given that platypi are odd enough to easily be believable as harbingers of doomsday.

But as for bears, a whole other question arises - is it just grizzly bears, or does the Virus/Mutation/Demon/Alien affect other species of the Ursus genus, or even the overarching Ursidae family? Grizzly bears are freaky enough, but imagine rabid, man-eating koalas pandas.The possibilities are endless - would the bears adapt to their non-native climates in pursuit of human flesh? Could they be tamed (or controlled) and ridden by Russians?

Speaking of underground labs... origin story! The bearpocalypse started when a family of black bears moved into an abandoned nuclear silo and was exposed to radiation from a forgotten Venusian satellite. Or something like that.
Last edited by thorgold on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:07 am UTC

Koalas aren't bears.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Koalas aren't bears.

I refuse to bend to your taxonomic oppression. The 5-year-old-me was told they were "koala bears!" They're much more adorable when though of as bears, rather than ravenous little beasts that will claw your face!
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:00 am UTC

philsov wrote:And as winter sets in, the world is calm as the bears hibernate for the entire season, living off stored body fat made from the corpses of their enemies.

The winter is full of preparation for the coming spring of Mama Bears! AAaaah! :lol: Sounds fun! So many post-apocalyptic books have run-ins with hungry wolves, but not hungry bears.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:12 am UTC

thorgold wrote:
But as for bears, a whole other question arises - is it just grizzly bears, or does the Virus/Mutation/Demon/Alien affect other species of the Ursus genus, or even the overarching Ursidae family? Grizzly bears are freaky enough, but imagine rabid, man-eating koalas pandas.The possibilities are endless - would the bears adapt to their non-native climates in pursuit of human flesh? Could they be tamed (or controlled) and ridden by Russians?

Giant short-faced bears. :shock:
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Return to “General”