[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shro
science genius girl

[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Postby Shro » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Looks like the IRC could use a little advertising! Chat HERE! Or use your fine IRC client to find #sharkweek at Foonetic (irc.foonetic.net)

Obviously it's not like we can filter the viewers of this thread by gender, but I doubt males will want to enter this thread. It is where we will talk about girly things. Not your normal girly things, but disgusting girly things. Like unshaven legs, Uterine Chunks coming out of our vagina. societal expectations of beauty and general feminist ranting.

[Edit] The title of this thread does *not* mean we don't want guys here. It was just a cutesy title. The purpose of this thread is to create an atmosphere where girls can discuss whatever they want, freely, without worrying about disturbing boys, as everyone has been warned about the content of this thread. We do not think boys have cooties. We are not man-hating femi-nazis. We are just tired of not being able to talk about it as freely as we would like for fear of offending.

Please please please refrain from posting things like "I won't be coming in here again" or "Ewww, gross.," or the like. Personally, I don't think the discussion of these topics is too off color, but it is taboo, which is something that I would like to see changed. [/Edit]

You have been warned.

Let the bitchfest* commence!

*Used in a positive, empowering kind of way.[*]

Edit 6/30: There's lots of new people coming around and feeling like they need to read the whole thread to participate. This is not necessary! We would like to hear what you have to say even if you haven't read the whole thread! Certain topics keep recurring anyway, and this thread is just like a giant conversation, so don't be afraid of bringing something up that has already been brought up before! I love this thread, and it makes me feel like I'm not alone in being a geek girl, and hopefully it will do the same for everyone.
Last edited by Felstaff on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:02 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Blatant IRC advertising
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Like a PMS bitchfest? That's how my friend describes his house (he has two sisters, and his dad is out a lot)
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:22 am UTC

Okay, what bitch decided that well-groomed eyebrows were pretty?! Seriously. Plucking sucks.

Though I've never encountered... *shudder* "uterine chunks". Yikes.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:23 am UTC

Chunks is a gross word.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:25 am UTC

Are you a girl, Castaway? Huh. Well, that explains a lot.

Has anyone noticed that if you spend enough time around another girl, your periods start coming at around the same time? Always happens to me.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Secret Clubhouse: Girls Only!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:30 am UTC

argyl3 wrote:Obviously it's not like we can filter the viewers of this thread by gender, but I doubt males will want to enter this thread. It is where we will talk about girly things. Not your normal girly things, but disgusting girly things. Like unshaven legs, Uterine Chunks coming out of our vagina. societal expectations of beauty and general feminist ranting.

I've watched two babies come out of my wife. You can't top that.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:34 am UTC

une see wrote:Are you a girl, Castaway? Huh. Well, that explains a lot.

Has anyone noticed that if you spend enough time around another girl, your periods start coming at around the same time? Always happens to me.

True! The hormones just align, or something. Drove everyone in crazy when everyone on my wing in my dorm in college all had it at once. XD

Ugh, uterine chunks. They're not *that* bad, but it's icky to handle. :/
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:35 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I've watched two babies come out of my wife. You can't top that.

I made those babies.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:35 am UTC

deleted by author
Last edited by lesliesage on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:36 am UTC

EDIT: Gah! Double post!!11!1one!11

Ummm...to make the best of this opportunity, I have one thing and ONLY one thing to ask.

Tampons or pads?

*Disclaimer: I am not a woman. I really have no interest in knowing this at all. I only ask this because it seems appropriate for this discussion. Carry on.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Yay girly thread!

And yeah, it's the pheromones that cause the whole synchronized period thing. Mine is so wacky right now because I have my roommate influencing me sometimes, and then my coworkers at other times... Regular cycles happen to other people.

mathmagic wrote:
Tampons or pads?

Diva Cup! Why buy tampons or pads all the time? I have re-usable cotton pads for the days when I don't want to Diva it up. And yay for another cup user in the thread! I don't need pictures, lesliesage. I'm so up on the blood spatter. I don't know what I'd do without my Diva Cup.

Heh. Maybe I should add to the 'bad roommate habit' thread the story of my sister emptying her diva cup in the shower and having the 'chunks', as it were, clog the drain. Now THAT is gross.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I've watched two babies come out of my wife. You can't top that.

I'm pretty sure anybody that's had a baby come out of them could top that. I've watched a lion take down a zebra, but that doesn't make me king of the jungle.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:48 am UTC

Cups? I have never heard of them... :shock: Sounds a lot more useful than tampons or pads so far though. Introduce me please!!!!

please tell me they don't leak at all please please please

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:49 am UTC

Quote:
Castaway wrote:Like a PMS bitchfest? That's how my friend describes his house (he has two sisters, and his dad is out a lot)

Automatically blaming female anger/discontent on hormonal causes automatically de-legitimizes the feelings/thoughts/experiences/statements of said female people. It is, for lack of a better word, gross.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 am UTC

I 'combination' it - tampons *and* pads. Usually tampons in daytime and pads at night. DivaCups are not easy to find here in the US, and I don't enjoy ordering such things online when my mother can see the statements on my debit card.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

wocket

Postby wocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:51 am UTC

Personally, I use tampons, because my mom decided to buy enough for me to plug up an entire Amazon tribe. When I finally run out I'll consider the cup. I do use pads on nights when there's a good chance I'll actually get 8 hours of sleep though.

Also I am lucky enough to never have experienced the uterine chunk. The mere thought makes me quiver.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:53 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:

I'm pretty sure anybody that's had a baby come out of them could top that. I've watched a lion take down a zebra, but that doesn't make me king of the jungle.

Yay for wildly misinterpreting my post! I don't mean "You can't possibly have had a more exciting experience than that", I mean "You're not going to be able to gross me out, I've seen my wife's intestines".

wocket

Postby wocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:

Yay for wildly misinterpreting my post! I don't mean "You can't possibly have had a more exciting experience than that", I mean "You're not going to be able to gross me out, I've seen my wife's intestines".

Out of our clubhouse or we'll pelt you with girly products and give you a makeover. :evil:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:

Ah. I actually thought that you meant that made you qualified for girlhood. Which I think you couldn't possibly achieve, with that aforementioned manly virility.

In that case, I shall remember to tell you the grossest stories ever, as often as possible. Glad I started with uterine chunks. :lol:

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:58 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:"You're not going to be able to gross me out, I've seen my wife's intestines".

Babies don't generally come out via the digestive tract.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:00 am UTC

EDIT: Not my place to over-react. My apologies (not sarcastic apologies, real ones).
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:00 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:"You're not going to be able to gross me out, I've seen my wife's intestines".

But when you split someone open with a c-section, generally guts get to be on display.

Aren't you a boy? Jeez, this clubhouse needs a password.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:

That's right. They shouldn't. When they do, it means something fucked up and my wife almost died.

Oh shit jesus that sucks. She's... Ok? I know she's alive cause she's pregnant again. But gosh... now I just find myself morbidly curious.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:04 am UTC

Wait, what's a DivaCup? Sounds...interesting...
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

wocket

Postby wocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:08 am UTC

une see wrote:Wait, what's a DivaCup? Sounds...interesting...

It is a cup that fits snugly inside your vagina and catches your menstrual blood. You can wear it for up to 12 hours, take it out, clean it, and pop it back in. You can buy them on Amazon.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:That's right. They shouldn't. When they do, it means something fucked up and my wife almost died.

I'll leave.

No, no, I only had the title as kind of a cutesy joke. I only meant that the atmosphere of this thread would be such that females would be able to discuss gross female things without worrying about grossing out guys because the only guys that would venture in here are the guys that are willing to be grossed out. Or mature about it or whatever.

Basically it's a safe haven, not an elitist membership. So MJ, please stay! Giving birth is an inherently secret girl clubhouse topic, so feel free to share your story.

I made this thing:

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:13 am UTC

Uterine chunks make me want to cry.

I'm afraid of potential mood effects from the pill. Less afraid than I used to be, but not getting turned into a crazy person is pretty fucking important to me. Also if it doesn't solve my dermatological issues, I'm just going to quit.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:13 am UTC

deleted by author
Last edited by lesliesage on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:15 am UTC

Introduction to menstrual cups, take one:

The DivaCup

Basically, this little thing is a silicone cup with a bit of a stem on the bottom. It's held inside the vagina, just below your cervix, and catches menstrual fluid. It works mostly through suction, and comes in 2 sizes. When it's full, you pull it out, dump it out, wash it off, and pop it back in. No worries at all. No "oh crap i'm out of tampons" or "there's no place to throw this pad out, here in my boyfriend's mother's trailer".

They do take a bit of getting used to. It helps to not mind getting your hands dirty.

arcticfox.sq wrote:please tell me they don't leak at all please please please

I've only had my divacup leak once, because I didn't put it in right. If you make sure it's in, and empty it when it's full, it won't leak. Fo realz.

Kawa: I bought mine in a Harvest Co-Op grocery store in Massachusetts. You can get them in a lot of stores that specialize in organic food and stuff. You could probably find one around you somewhere.

arcticfox.sq

Postby arcticfox.sq » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:22 am UTC

They sound really useful. The only problem I can see is that even the slender/teen sized tampons hurt a little going in at first... Er... virgin here... I don't really know if I can get anything larger in there right now... Would it help to wait till after I'm sexually active to make the switch? How big are they anyways?

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:22 am UTC

Anyone else have SO's squeamish about sex during periods? I mean, sure, up the butt is apparently fine, but a little bit of blood grosses him out. Well, he is kind of a wuss, blood making him faint and all that. I think it must be the uterine chunks.

When I say uterine chunks, I mean just little solid bits. Well, actually, they're not even solid, it's just more the consistency of mucus than of blood.

Being on the pill was all wonky for a little bit, but I've been on them for about a year now, and I am so glad. I know *exactly* when Shark Week is coming. Shark Week now lasts about two days. My skin is finally clear! That's actually why I started on the pill, but benefits all around!

Hey, I was in the same boat before with tampons! If the slender ones still hurt, don't fear. You don't really need to wait to be sexually active, just keep using slender ones until they're comfy and then work your way up to regular. I imagine the cups would be a little uncomfortable, even though they're all bendy. I haven't had experience with the cup, but I totally will look into getting one now. The only brand that I'm aware of is the Instead ones. Does anyone know if they're any good?

I made this thing:

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:29 am UTC

I'm the one squeamish about sex during periods. Then again, the mix of blood/uterine lining and my vaginal fluids makes me nervous to have something big enough in there to cause significant friction. That and I'm just not as horny during that week.

I am unusually horny the week before though, as opposed to getting PMS... O.o
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:31 am UTC

arcticfox: My first inclination is to say, wait till you're sexually active, but it's hard to say: You might have a fewer problems inserting a divacup, because unlike a tampon, it's not absorbing the moisture and lubrication as you insert it. I usually throw a drop of lube on mine when I put it in, so it slips right in. But since it is a one-size fits all thing (one size for nulliparous women, another for mothers, anyway) they probably err on the large side, so you might want to wait.

There's also the Instead cup, which is different because it's more of a diaphragm-style cup, and it's also disposable. I've heard you can get them at Wal*Mart.

argyl3:

I have an ex who was utterly unable to have sex with me when I was bleeding. Said it was the smell. Or rather, he never got past the smell of blood far enough to get to the chunks.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:31 am UTC

You're the....fourth or fifth girl I've very recently learned uses the DivaCup or some variation thereof. It's gotten my curiosity up. How well do they last through vigorous exercise? i.e. if I go out crazy swing dancing at an event for 10 hours a day, is it going to leak?

Also, thoughts on birth control?
I was on the depo shot for a while (6 months), and highly DISCOURAGE it. It made me absolutely crazy-- perpetual mood swings and depression. It also saps calcium from your bones and makes you bleed every day for a month, spotting every few days, or gets rid of Shark Week completely for a few months...a bit unpredictable. The total emotional instability is what made me quit.

I'm currently on the NuvaRing and I LOVE IT. It's low maintenance so I don't have to worry about remembering to take a pill every day at the same time, not to skip it, or lose any, always take it with me...the only problem in 3 years of the ring is when it accidentally came out during um, naughty business with the boy and neither of us realized it. There was a minor pregnancy scare there, but it turned out fine. Now I just check every time afterwards, just to make sure.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 am UTC

deleted by author
Last edited by lesliesage on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:34 am UTC

NuvaRing is amazing. Apparently nowadays it can be out, as long as it's for less than three hours, and you're still protected. Wonderful thing!
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:35 am UTC

argyl3 wrote:Being on the pill was all wonky for a little bit, but I've been on them for about a year now, and I am so glad. I know *exactly* when Shark Week is coming. Shark Week now lasts about two days. My skin is finally clear! That's actually why I started on the pill, but benefits all around!

Could you expand on "wonky"?

But yeah, I'm pretty convinced of the benefits...more predictability/less pain with periods, and (i sure hope) clearer skin. And I have to tell myself that decision is independent of whoever I'm trying to do. Because this relationship will end soon enough, and I don't intend to be with another boy after this. I'm not ruling it out. I'm not that cynical. I'm just not that straight.
Last edited by H.E.L.e.N. on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:36 am UTC

1. chunks - ouch and ew. i do not like them, but who does?

2. eyebrows - large unkempt eyebrows are really kind of gross to me. then again, so are the people that feel the need to shave their brows and draw them back on horribly. i clean mine up following my natural arch, and just get rid of the strays that muss up make-up

3. makeup - i love it i hate it. i hate that its become expected, and part of the standard of beauty. a lot of people tell me i have "natural beauty" and i appreciate it, even if i'll only go so far as to say i have "natural moderate cute". i LOVE makeup because i love coloring on things. paper, walls, canvasas, people, so really i'm a HUGE fan of stage makeup, and very wild extravagant things. However, that means when i put make-up on myself for whatever rare occasion, its not subtle, but its not retardedly over the top. i have fun with it. if make up is not being fun, i wipe it off and forget about it.

4. this diva cup sounds interesting. i shall look into it. usually, though, tampons, as i despise underwear. unless its really damn cute and i'm wearing a skirt.

5. i've just noticed how skirt-centered this girly business is, for me. underwear IF a skirt. shave IF a skirt. i wish i didnt like the things so much. i'd never worry about this crap again.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:42 am UTC

deleted by author
Last edited by lesliesage on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:55 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:42 am UTC

apocralypse wrote: i LOVE makeup because i love coloring on things.

Yes!

apocralypse wrote:5. i've just noticed how skirt-centered this girly business is, for me. underwear IF a skirt. shave IF a skirt. i wish i didnt like the things so much. i'd never worry about this crap again.

I have opaque tights and big boots to go with my skirts...but not during the summer. Which is probably what you mean.

lukkucairi

Postby lukkucairi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:43 am UTC

god, I was on the pill for over 12 years. finally got off it a few years ago, and it was hell getting my cycles regulated again. HELL. it was like puberty all over again, zits and all, at age 30. now I finally know my cycle, my cycle knows me, and nothing could induce me to use a hormonal birth control method again. that said, for all y'all young girls on the pill, depo, nuva-ring, whatever...more power to you. just maybe take a year off every 5 years or so, so your body doesn't entirely forget how to make its own chemicals.

I have not used the divacup - OB tampons are usually how I roll. if given my druthers, though, I'll spend the entire 4 days in sequestration in a mud hut down by the river, so I can bleed wherever I want to and have four baths a day. generally when I'm on the rag I do NOT want to see anyone, do anything, or go anywhere. leave me the fuck alone (literally), thank you. I like to make my blood sacrifices to Kali in private.

I could not deal with tampons at all for the first 10 years of Shark Week (til I was 23) - they gave me raging cramps. I got over it while on an extended camping trip in bear country - nowhere to dump the used pads, and whether or not the "menstrual blood bear attractant" story is apocryphal, it bothered me enough to motivate me to switch to tampons - far smaller, easier to discard or store after they're used.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:49 am UTC

lani wrote:You're the....fourth or fifth girl I've very recently learned uses the DivaCup or some variation thereof. It's gotten my curiosity up. How well do they last through vigorous exercise? i.e. if I go out crazy swing dancing at an event for 10 hours a day, is it going to leak?

10 Hours? I think you expect things of me that are not possible. :wink: I can tell you what, though- I work out for an hour in the gym with it in. And then I use the hot tub cause it works better than a tampon for underwater activities. As long as you empty it when it needs to be emptied, there's no reason it should leak.

Also, thoughts on birth control?

INDEED.

It should be noted that the DivaCup is not recommended for use when you've got an IUD. Also, I have an IUD. I'm throwing caution to the wind, there.

I can't stand hormonal birth control. I tried the pill a couple of times, and it made me insane. I'm kinda crazy now, but I was batshit, gonna-stab-my-boyfriend, fuck-anything-that-walks insane. And after a couple of months, my libido died. I didn't want to have sex. Ever. And when I bothered to do it anyway, I couldn't orgasm. That. Fucking. Blew.

So HBC is out. That leaves condoms, diaphragms, spermicide, and the IUD. I tried the others* and none of them worked well for me, so I started talking to my doctors about getting an IUD, cause hell, I'm childfree anyway so I'll just take the 10 years of birth control in one hospital visit. Rock On.
First doctor, said no. Told me nobody'd give a 19 year old nulliparous woman an IUD.

After wanting one for like, seven years, I managed to connect with a doctor who'd give me one at a time when I could afford one.
They can be up to $600(US) depending on your insurance.

I've had it for a year and every time I think about it I do a happy dance.

*I never tried a diaphragm. I tried spermicide and it burned the shit out of my vajayjay. Didn't want to use one without the other... so that was out.

Return to “General”