[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crickets

Re: Woman Thread - Holds 5% more blue liquid than other brands!

Postby crickets » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

About creepy guys:

There's an overabundance of homeless guys that hang out by my work. No big deal, they're usually pretty quiet and nice, because there's a huge heating vent that keeps the temperature outside above freezing at all times.
But last night there was a rather drunk man there who proceeded to creep around the cafe looking for someone to give him a coffee, and then told me that i have really nice legs as i was bringing in the sidewalk sign to close up...

My coworker stuck around for an extra hour to make sure i didn't get shived or something.

Once upon a long time ago i rescued a girl in a very lesbian-y fashion from a creepy guy on the dance floor. I'd never met her, but this guy had been hassling me... and i managed to disengage and get away from him. So he starts grinding this poor little girl who looks so terribly uncomfortable with the situation that i reach out my hand. She grabs on to me, and i basically wedge myself between her and this dude, pick her up and carry her off the dance floor. It was worth it. I think that guy got kicked out...

I like my bar. I like it, cause i could punch a creepy dude in the face and not get in trouble. And/or have about ten very muscular goth/punk boys do it for me....
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

crickets wrote:About creepy guys

See, when that happened to me the only one paying attention was Christina who was probably very very high at the time and was just laughing at me. :(
I flipped out when the guy started blatantly groping me and trying to put his hand up my skirt... I think that I told him off 4 or 5 times before this point too while emphasizing the whole "I have a girlfriend" thing... *sigh*
I believe that I hid around Raver Scott for the rest of the night though, and then took him and his friends home since I really didn't want to be outside alone either... and I am pretty sure that stopped me from going for another few months.

I wish I could have helped you out last night there. :( *hugs*
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

Jeez, some people fucking suck.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

^ Yeah. :( I can't see myself at all in that sort of scene because I'd be too terrified of it. Gods, I wish we didn't have to be so afraid. Last night, I was waiting in the car for my mother while she was buying something from an Indian sweet shop, and a bunch of 20-somethings came up to the car window, jeering and grabbing at their crotches. It was all I could do not to burst into tears from fear (the window was open).

How come you end up in the hospital? I've never had that happen (and I've had many many piercings and stretched quite a few of them over the years)... D:
I'm hideously allergic to most kinds of metal used in jewellery, so they generally have to extricate the earring with pliers and anaesthesic after it has been buried in the swollen mass that was my earlobe.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:^ Yeah. :( I can't see myself at all in that sort of scene because I'd be too terrified of it. Gods, I wish we didn't have to be so afraid. Last night, I was waiting in the car for my mother while she was buying something from an Indian sweet shop, and a bunch of 20-somethings came up to the car window, jeering and grabbing at their crotches. It was all I could do not to burst into tears from fear (the window was open).

How come you end up in the hospital? I've never had that happen (and I've had many many piercings and stretched quite a few of them over the years)... D:
I'm hideously allergic to most kinds of metal used in jewellery, so they generally have to extricate the earring with pliers and anaesthesic after it has been buried in the swollen mass that was my earlobe.

I've had a couple bad experiences with bars. I was always scared to go out to them, but the club that I go to is really almost always good. Its one of my very few safe places even if shit happens sometimes.

Oh me yarm! I have allergies to nickel. I react fast to that. Learned to coat anything nickel that touches my skin with clear nail polish.
I generally stick to the expensive surgical steel and glass jewelery. I really like glass jewelery - cept when it breaks. >.>
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

urgh, people really do suck.
*hugs to them that wants 'em*

I'm nasty allergic to nickel and something else, I can't wear surgical steel. I go for implantanium or zircon gold for my piercings. I wish I could wear cheap jewelery without having to take antihistamines for a week :|

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 am UTC

Ew sorry about all the creepy guys. :( Or just creepy people in general, really.
But I couldn't resist responding to this:
Teapot wrote:"I was just wondering what the pattern was on your top" so I tell him that it's panic at the disco.

I love them!

In other news, I mentioned a while back that I was started this new medication for psoriasis, and in less than a week I already started to see a noticeable difference! Yay for the possibility of not having to wear cover up on my legs and still have the two dry, red patches be noticeable enough to ruin my once lovely calves
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

mythopoeia

Postby mythopoeia » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:41 am UTC

All right, ladies, I have a question: What is the best way to clean lacy/fancy underpants? I bought a pair, wore them once, and have washed them on several different cycles with different kinds of detergent (mostly gentler kinds because I was afraid of ruining them). Nothing so far has gotten them actually clean! Tonight I put them in a lingerie bag and did them in the normal laundry load with detergent and cold water - nada. Do I need to take them out of the bag and put them in warm or hot wash or something that abrasive?

Mitora

Postby Mitora » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:49 am UTC

Um, I handwash my particually lacy stuff and they always seem to come clean.

Thanks for the comments everyone. ^.^

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:52 am UTC

Yeah, I was about to say (ninja'd) that handwashing is your best bet. Sard wonder soap (if you have that where you live...) is what we use and it always does a nice job, even on whites.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:54 am UTC

Denby wrote:Oh me yarm! I have allergies to nickel. I react fast to that. Learned to coat anything nickel that touches my skin with clear nail polish.
I generally stick to the expensive surgical steel and glass jewelery. I really like glass jewelery - cept when it breaks. >.>
I've tried stainless steel, 9 carat gold, 18 carat gold, 22 carat gold, sterling silver, and titanium. Nothing has worked so far :(

Re: lacy underwear
I've usually just thrown mine in with the normal washing and in a lingerie bag. I think it's always come out clean :shock:

Black.Rose.Immortal

Postby Black.Rose.Immortal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:28 am UTC

Sugar soap is fantastic for washing anything. It anything while being nice to the fibres in your clothes :)
17/F/Australian/weird

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:36 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:I'm hideously allergic to most kinds of metal used in jewellery, so they generally have to extricate the earring with pliers and anaesthesic after it has been buried in the swollen mass that was my earlobe.

Yeah, I've done that and felt like a right silly person because of it. No earrings for me any time soon.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

I only have lacy bras, and the lace is outside the cup, so I just throw those in a lingerie bad in the normal wash, and they come clean.
But yeah, I'd recommend hand-washing at this point, if they're not coming clean.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

@mythopoeia: Have you tried handwashing liquid? It's like detergent you put in the machine, but suitable for handwashing? Might be an idea. I only have lacy bras, and I tend to just wear them in the shower and wash then that way.
Edited for spelling fail.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

mythopoeia

Postby mythopoeia » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

That was what I tried first - using Woolite, which can be used for handwashing or in a machine, on a delicates cycle. I should give them a go with Woolite in the sink though, I suppose. Bit tough to do with communal (read: icky) dorm sinks, but I'll figure something out. Thanks for the advice.

Katieesq

Postby Katieesq » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Just clean your sink beforehand. I clean my sink before I do any handwashing, even though I'm sure it's not as gross as yours.
Cupcakes of HOPE!

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

I got a 4 Litre plastic tub from Ikea for $2 that I use to handwash. Usually I handwash in the bathtub using the plastic tub (so I don't spill everywhere) but you could do it anywhere. I never put lacy things or any of my bras in the dryer. I also use Soak (a scrub free handwash detergent), but you can scrub if you need to.

Handwashing really improves the lifespan of your bras too--and prevents the underwire from breaking through as well. My bra-shop ladies recommend washing your bra every 1-3 wears to prolong the life of the garment. I agree with them--they also told me if I really hated handwashing a trick for bras is to wear them into the shower and wash them with my body wash and then hang them to dry. Before I jumped fully on the handwash bandwagon I used this method.
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

I need to get something to hand wash in in my appartment.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:42 am UTC

What the hell, urethra/the pubic hair surrounding? Why can't I ever pee in a single stream? :x

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:00 am UTC

...Sometimes, my friend, you have problems that I don't really know how to help you with.

It's official. My hair is a Full Venus. I can stand topless in front of the mirror, divide my hair in half, and easily arrange it in front of my breasts so that neither nipple nor the curve of the bottom of my breasts is showing. It's thick enough to cover nearly all parts of it, too.

But at this point, the split ends are starting to get out of hand, and the effort required for brushing is become ridiculous. I could probably stand to cut off ten inches, and my hair would still rightly be referred to as "long." Some of my hair is also taking on a slightly damaged texture that it never has before. (Because I never put any products in it except shampoo and conditioner, and I never blowdry, and I never curl or straighten or style at all except on special occasions, where "special occasion" must be at least as special as Homecoming.)

Anyway, yeah. I love the idea of the Full Venus, but a haircut has become imperative. I hope I can afford a place that won't butcher my beautiful beautiful hair.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:07 am UTC

My hair is about 3-4 inches away from the full Venus right now. Longest it's been since 2004. I just got it cut, too, so I shouldn't need it cut for another 6 months. It's very heavy, though, and it's starting to hurt my head to put it up in a bun, which I do when I work out. It's a conundrum, because first of all, I love my hair, and secondly, I'm getting married next fall and would like my hair as long as possible for the wedding...so I probably won't cut it. It is not convenient, though. If you don't really have a complicated style (you just need to get it trimmed straight across), just about any salon you go to should be able to do a decent job, Quix.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I had the Full Venus once (though I've never come across that phrase before), but, as much as I liked it, I probably won't for years to come. I don't think it would be achievable with dreads, but we'll see.

My hair is starting to weigh down my head, too. It's not awfully long - it only comes to around my shoulders - but I started out with it incredibly thick, I'm not losing any of the hair, and it's absorbing anything and everything around it. It should be getting fixed in a couple of weeks since I simply can not see what is going on behind there, and maybe, from then on, I'll be able to wash it and not repulse all those within a few metres of me.

Quix wrote:...Sometimes, my friend, you have problems that I don't really know how to help you with.
Ha, I don't *really* expect help. It's just nice to have a place to vent frustrations where there won't be immediate recoil over "disgusting female bits".

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:45 am UTC

As a kid, I couldn't have my hair past my shoulders because I'd get a headache. :( I ended growing out my hair in middle school/high school down to my butt. It was long and pretty and a royal pain. Washing it took the better part of an hour. Then drying it took another hour(blow dryer, ~10 to air dry)...making it look like not chaos took another...I finally got sick of it and had it chopped off to an inch below my shoulders.

I sometimes miss having flowing locks... :?
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:54 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:If you don't really have a complicated style (you just need to get it trimmed straight across), just about any salon you go to should be able to do a decent job, Quix.

Well, I actually like to get my hair layered when it's cut. That's been pretty for me in the past.

eternal luna wrote:I had the Full Venus once (though I've never come across that phrase before),

I made it up. Actually, I suppose I'm not using "full" Venus correctly, because I'm thinking of Botticelli's, whose hair will conceal her pubis for her. But I kept referring to hair nearly long enough to cover my breasts as "I have almost Venus hair."

mochafairy wrote:As a kid, I couldn't have my hair past my shoulders because I'd get a headache. :( I ended growing out my hair in middle school/high school down to my butt. It was long and pretty and a royal pain. Washing it took the better part of an hour. Then drying it took another hour(blow dryer, ~10 to air dry)...making it look like not chaos took another...I finally got sick of it and had it chopped off to an inch below my shoulders.

Totally! Everything takes so much longer when you have that much hair. *shakes fist* I've always had dang long thick hair, so I was in my mid-teens before I ever managed to wash it properly.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:09 am UTC

I had my hair down to my butt when I was 15 but I keep it chin length now because I like it better that way. I do help my friend maintain her quite long hair though--she wasn't conditioning it enough (because her hair gets oily near the root). :D
Rice Puddin.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:26 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
eternal luna wrote:I had the Full Venus once (though I've never come across that phrase before),

I made it up. Actually, I suppose I'm not using "full" Venus correctly, because I'm thinking of Botticelli's, whose hair will conceal her pubis for her. But I kept referring to hair nearly long enough to cover my breasts as "I have almost Venus hair."

mochafairy wrote:As a kid, I couldn't have my hair past my shoulders because I'd get a headache. :( I ended growing out my hair in middle school/high school down to my butt. It was long and pretty and a royal pain. Washing it took the better part of an hour. Then drying it took another hour(blow dryer, ~10 to air dry)...making it look like not chaos took another...I finally got sick of it and had it chopped off to an inch below my shoulders.

Totally! Everything takes so much longer when you have that much hair. *shakes fist* I've always had dang long thick hair, so I was in my mid-teens before I ever managed to wash it properly.

Is this something to do with having wavy hair? I can do the covering the pubis thing quite easily, but my hair has never been a problem to wash. It's dead straight, and people comment on how thick it is a lot. I can get a shower with proper hair washing down to 7 minutes if I'm trying hard, but 8 to 15 is more the norm. I'm never going to be able to do the 4 minute showers they're recommending here these days.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Definitely not wavy hair. My hair is straight as they come.

I'm willing to accept that the difficulty with washing might be partly because I mostly had to teach myself (part Mom not explaining so much as doing it for me when she got exasperated, part me being stubborn and very private.)

Osha

Postby Osha » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:40 am UTC

No one ever taught me about hair care and I want mine to be long and healthy so:
Conditioner's good, right? I should probably start using some, right? I think I got that part right... but are there any other secrets to growing long hair?
Thanks Woman Thread!

I have an appointment with a hair removal person this Saturday to find out how much it'll cost to remove my facial hair. Soon I shall wage war against my beard :twisted:

Funny that I should talk about growing my hair out and destroying it in the same post...

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:51 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:But at this point, the split ends are starting to get out of hand, and the effort required for brushing is become ridiculous. I could probably stand to cut off ten inches, and my hair would still rightly be referred to as "long."

If you do get at least 10 inches cut, you should donate to Locks of Love :)

My hair was almost Venus status in 10th grade (we always called it mermaid hair) then I got it cut to a bit longer than shoulder length, then it grew for a bit, then senior year I got really sick of it and chopped it to just below the chin. Then a few months ago I got a bob, but now it's back to chinish length, and I like it. Sometimes I miss having long hair, but I think it looks a lot better short, and it's certainly easier to manage. I really want to dye the under layers of it purple soon though :D

@Osha, yes, condtioner is very good. I swear by it. And good luck with the hair removal!
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:57 am UTC

Before I cut my hair off I could go topless and not need censorship beyond my hair.
It can be a great feeling of freedom. And donating it makes me feel like I did some good.
Now my hair is so easy, I wash it like once a week.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:20 am UTC

I have a love-hate relationship with the length of my hair.

For the good part of my childhood it was butt length, and I hated it. I have really super thick hair, and as a child my mother would always brush it for me, which was why I hated it. She'd always rip at my hair. :( Then in like 8th grade I literally chopped it all off. I was spending the night at a friend's house and we cut it down to about two or three inches long, I loved it.

Since then I've been growing out and cutting my hair every few years. My hair grows pretty fast I think, I got it cut super short again about a year ago, and it's already past my shoulders.

Whenever it gets long though I always get angry at it and cut it, then when it's short I'm always thinking; "I miss my long hair, it was so pretty and I could do so many things..." So then I grow it out, and cut it again.

It's a horrible cycle, haha.

dA ShAzAm

Postby dA ShAzAm » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:52 am UTC

I do not mean to taint this holy ground but as a man I feel I need to take advantage of this gathered wisdom and ask you ladies some questions:

1. Do you find it creepy if a guy refers to a group of women as ladies (If you have not experienced this before see sentence above)? If so which collective noun do you prefer?

2. If someone was performing digital penetration (fingering) on a woman, how long do you believe it would take for her to reach an orgasm?

3. Is there often graffiti inside the stalls of the ladies rest room and if so what is most often the subject of said graffiti?

4. When dancing in a club where the music makes any verbal communication impossible what do you believe to be the most appropriate way to ask this girl to dance?

I await any answers/thoughts/opinions with anticipation. My apologies if I am intruding.
~Solomon Hercules Atlas Zeus Achilles Mercury~
"When he types the name of the ancient wizard, he is magically transformed from a man into an idea--societies most doughty design!"

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:02 am UTC

1. Yes. Depends on the situation, but everyone, folks, y'all, or if you must be gender-specific "women." Some situations may be informal enough for "loves."
2. This question is comparable to "I have a plant. When will it grow flowers?"
3. Some, in less classy restrooms (like in high school.) I've never seen anything complicated, mostly names or solitary swearwords. This question is comparable to "Do women have long hair?"
4. From some distance, make eye contact. If she meets your gaze, nod, and look for positive body language in reply (a nod in return, a moving of her body to face you.) Then approach. If she's not already dancing/on the floor, make eye contact, nod, wait for a positive response, then offer her your hand to lead her onto the floor.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:09 am UTC

My answers:

1. I don't much mind ladies in the context of "ladies and gentlemen", but it bothers me a bit on its own. (And "men and ladies" will make me spit nails.) Women, hey you, guys (especially if the group contains >= 1 male), any of that will work.

2. Anywhere from a short time to never, depending on the woman and on the specifics of how it's done. Sorry.

3. Depends where. In university stalls other than dorms, I've seen protracted philosophical discussions wedged in among dirty limericks.

4. What Quix said.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:16 am UTC

Bah, PMS. I'm mad and petulant for no good reason, and ticked off at everyone, like the guy who posted above me, and I can't tell whether I feel justified in it. Hurry up and start bleeding so that I can go back on the pill, uterus.

I suppose I'll answer, anyway.

1) Depends on man and tone. I wouldn't appreciate a "Heeeey, ladies", but I'm likely to brush it off if the man seems the sort to say "gentlemen", or I've witnessed it. I really do prefer "women", though.
2) What? There's a spectrum from "As soon as she thinks of it" to "Never. Ever. At all." Edit: I like Quix's analogy.
3) I'm bouncing off this to say that I am excited about the graffiti in one of the toilets at the university I intend to go to- it was so damn positive. Things like "Be who you are, and say what you think because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind," "Be the change you want to see in the world," "You are beautiful," and more of the same. I added to it, but I cannot remember what.
4) Quix's answer, but with miming dancing before the offering of the hand :D I don't know how others would react, but I know I'd be nervous about where I was being led. Maybe just gesture with your head at the dance floor?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:22 am UTC

Osha, I am no hair product expert but here's what I do. Please anyone, correct me if I'm talking drivel.

I refuse to use crap shampoo. I am afraid I'm a little snobish about this, I don't use anything you can get on a supermarket shelf. If you promise you can transform my hair in one or three washes, I'd like to know what kind of gunk you're smearing it in to give that illusion. Because *healthy* hair cannot possibly be achieved that quickly, surely?

So I use salon shampoo. I have thought about the move to SLS free shampoo (linky) but I love my Joyco so much! It's a salon shampoo recommended by my friend and stylist that I buy over the internet. I think Tresemme may be a good compromise as it's salon shampoo but it's gone mainstream so is more affordable and obtainable (ymmv for the US).

Use a good shampoo that is suited to your hair type. Lather it through your hair and massage your scalp. If your hair is dirty or long it's never a bad idea to shampoo twice (use only a very small amount the second time as it will froth like mad on almost-clean hair). I shampoo every 2-3 days; the more regularly you wash the more regularly you'll need to wash as you strip your hair of it's natural oils and it tries to compensate by making more. That is why many people say they can't wash their hair every other day, it'll get oily. There's nothing wrong with keeping that up but I know I just stuck out the slight oilyness for about a week and my hair returned to what I consider normal and now I don't have to wash daily.

Conditioner is a good idea. If you are using a harsher shampoo, like one for oily hair, or if you have very dry/damaged hair (but from your pics your hair looks great), you should probably apply it every time after you shampoo. I however don't suffer from oily or dry hair, but from a waxy buildup on my scalp (I don't know if it's my scalp or the curl cream and stuff I use), so I tryto avoid getting the conditioner on my scalp (the roots aren't the ones that need conditioning anyway as they're close to the sebum glands in the skull and still get enough conditioning from there). For this reason I don't use it every time I wash either (and I just don't seem to need it).

The one thing I fail at is brushing, because I have curls and I hate brushing it and making it all frizzy and sticky uppy - but by brushing your hair you distribute the natural oils from your roots to the rest of your hair more effectively than gravity alone (even more important for curly hair or hair that's up all the time - I really should follow my own advice and start brushing it). Not too much, so as to over stimulate the scalp and it produces too much oil, but brushing is definitely good as long as you use a brush and firmness that won't cause damage. Never brush wet hair as it is weaker wet and you can stretch or break it; if you must, use a wide tooth comb.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:24 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:Bah, PMS. I'm mad and petulant for no good reason, and ticked off at everyone, like the guy who posted above me, and I can't tell whether I feel justified in it. Hurry up and start bleeding so that I can go back on the pill, uterus.

Oh no, luna, it's not just you. The post above was mildly to moderately irritating to me as well.

Have you seen Melissa's post On Periods?
Let's put this shit to bed right now: Women don't lose their minds when they have period-related irritability. It doesn't lower their ability to reason; it lowers their patience and, hence, tolerance for bullshit. If an issue comes up a lot during "that time of the month," that doesn't mean she only cares about it once a month; it means she's bothered by it all the time and lacks the capacity, once a month, to shove it down and bury it beneath six gulps of willful silence.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:29 am UTC

I hadn't, so thanks! *wanders off to think*

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 am UTC

Moo wrote:The one thing I fail at is brushing, because I have curls and I hate brushing it and making it all frizzy and sticky uppy - but by brushing your hair you distribute the natural oils from your roots to the rest of your hair more effectively than gravity alone (even more important for curly hair or hair that's up all the time - I really should follow my own advice and start brushing it).
I have so much difficulty with this too! My curly hair goes absolutely insane if I brush it, but otherwise it gets pretty dry. To compensate, I just use very moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, but it could probably be better. Anyone know of any
brushes that minimize the frizziness?
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Return to “General”