[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cassi

Re: Woman Thread - Holds 5% more blue liquid than other brands!

Postby Cassi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

Yea, I've never been a fan of parents calling me a lady to their children...it happens quite a lot when I'm waitressing. "Honey, let the lady get by with those plates." I can't think of any other context I've ever been called a lady, really. Hmm.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

lesliesage wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Okay, okay, fair enough. But I said I don't view 'lady' as a diminutive by itself. Also, I was thinking of the original situation, someone addressing a group of women as "ladies."
I agree, but "ladies" by itself can launch past diminutive into insulting, depending on tone and context. And the point is that Lady Owl is an insult in the way Gentleman Owl is not. A Lady Owl is an owl, except that it's a female. A Gentleman Owl is an owl being described as polite."

Well, yes. Tone and context pretty much make the difference, as with any other word in spoken language.

I guess I see your point about the sports mascots. Never really thought about it before.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

The first time someone called me ma'am (a bagger at the grocery store) I was so surprised that I blurted out "How old do you think I am?!" (I was 20). I felt a little bad for saying that, though, he blushed and just sort of stammered.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

I know. I think lady was the best option in that situation. It just made me feel old all of a sudden. like "i'm an adult...when did this happen?" Ma'm probably would've made me feel worse...like I should've had a cane and been yelling at people to get off my lawn and turn down their loud music contraptions.

but, word choice depends on context and intent.

sarah: hehe. I would've done the same thing!
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

lesliesage

Re: Woman Thread - Holds 5% more blue liquid than other bran

Postby lesliesage » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:28 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Katieesq

Postby Katieesq » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:The first time someone called me ma'am (a bagger at the grocery store) I was so surprised that I blurted out "How old do you think I am?!" (I was 20). I felt a little bad for saying that, though, he blushed and just sort of stammered.

I worked a register when I was 16 and I got called ma'am all the time. Bugged the shit out of me. And I'm not too fond of any feminized terms of endearment, even if they are meant in a nice way. Anyone who knows me well enough to say something endearing like that knows better than to use some schlocky name.

But then again, my friends and I are mercilessly mean to each other. It's how we're most comfortable. Is that weird?
Last edited by Katieesq on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Cupcakes of HOPE!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

I rarely get ma'amed. I kind of wish I did more. Mainly because ma'am is better than sir.

I do hate being called dear by strangers. And I have friends who hate ma'am as well. It's funny, she'd rather be called sir.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

I feel weird being ma'am'd but it's better than being miss'd [I'm a Ms., thankyou]. The only think I really hate is being called sweetheart by strangers. I have no problem with ladies. Sweetheart is asking for the bitter end of my wrath.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:46 pm UTC

Things I hate being called by complete strangers:

Sweetheart
Darling
Doll
Dear
Sweetie

This is just what I can think of right now, but this is what I get working at a supermarket. At work if customers have to call me anything, I'd prefer if they use my name badge.

EDIT: Also parents referring to you as "the lady" when they're talking to their children is pretty bad, but it's worse when they refer to you as "the man".
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:07 am UTC

I think the worst I've been called (as a term of affection by strangers) is Sugar, which *always* gets shortened to Sug. I mean, what? I hate that. My name is not Sug.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:15 am UTC

Wow.
I honestly can't believe people sometimes...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Katieesq

Postby Katieesq » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I think the worst I've been called (as a term of affection by strangers) is Sugar, which *always* gets shortened to Sug. I mean, what? I hate that. My name is not Sug.

See, "Sugar" shortened to "Sug" reminds me of Rogue from the X-Men cartoons, so I give that one a pass (though I don't think anyone's ever actually called me that).
Cupcakes of HOPE!

lesliesage

Re: Woman Thread - Holds 5% more blue liquid than other bran

Postby lesliesage » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:13 am UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:34 am UTC

I honestly don't mind any of them.... :oops:
I have pretty much heard all the normal ones, and just shrug it off.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:05 am UTC

Heavens.

First of all, some of you reacted in a rather aggressive manner to a newcomer to the forum and did so entirely needlessly...he was just trying to take advantage of the collective wisdom to be found here, and it's a rare opportunity to meet such a group of females in what tends to be a place without judgement...he was accused of being chauvinist whereas I think the reaction he received was far more sexist.

As for being what a collection of femmes should be called...hyper sensitive much? Honestly you can call me what you like and I am not likely to take offense as long as the intent is not malicious. One of the guys at work calls me everything from honey to love, he's in his late thirties, married with kids, but they're all just terms of endearment and he says such to any of the girls with whom he gets on well. I worked with a Nigerian who called me baby and mama, it was part of his nature due to where he grew up, he also called me chicken, he had a good heart and gave good hugs. I've had customers call me ma'am, miss and various other such titles, again it's meant out of respect. MY boss calls our collective group "girls", he's 30, we're all in our 20's and adore him.

Honestly I think the only consideration here should be intent. Pretty much anything can be sleazy if it's said by someone sidling up to you in a manner with which you are entirely uncomfortable, but I struggle to think of anything that is offensive in and of itself, with the exclusion of course of objectively derogatory terms such as cunt, and I do realise singling this word may just negate everything I've just said but it's the only word with which I have serious issue, rightly or wrongly.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

crickets

Postby crickets » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:37 am UTC

I call people weird things all the time. If it's someone my own age, it's usually dude, or man, or guys, gender not usually withstanding. If it's a group of particularly girly-seeming girls, i'll go with, well, "girls".

If it's older women, that's when "ladies" comes out. If it's older people of mixed gender or just men, it's typically "folks".

On occasion, i'll bust out a "y'all", or even a "you all". Sometimes a "guy", "buddy", "friend", or "holmes". Holmes is my favorite. No one knows how to react to that! But i work in a cafe, so i feel the need to not call people the same thing every time i bring them drinks or food or bus their tables.

And honestly, people can call me whatever the hell they want. If it's done inappropriately, they're favored with an eye-roll or other generally disapproving expression, but it's not going to push any of my buttons that hard. I think it's the years of dealing with the elderly in the gas station. So many little old women calling me "dear" and "sweetie", and little old men calling me "miss" and "darling"... and british dudes who called me "love", and that old guy who called me "smile-y" and the other one who called me "red"....

Yeah.
Nicknames are fun.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:06 am UTC

Angelene wrote:As for being what a collection of femmes should be called...hyper sensitive much? Honestly you can call me what you like and I am not likely to take offense as long as the intent is not malicious.

Great. Fabulous. Awesome.

You don't speak for all women. And your reaction is not the "correct" one; your level of sensitivity is not the "correct" one; just because some women are offended by something you are fine with does not make the other women "hypersensitive."
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:19 am UTC

I was speaking for myself, and giving my personal opinion which I thought was rather the point of this place, no? I'm sorry if it came across like I was imposing my own personal morality and sensibility on womankind, but I just happen to think that a woman could be called a lot worse than a lady and that it just happens to depend on who's saying it rather than explicitly that which is being said.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:37 am UTC

I can be insulted a lot worse than being told that, say, I'm an idiot, but that doesn't mean I should let such insults slide.

Hairdressers always tend to address me with terms of endearment, often creepy.* Are they meant to, or is it a consequence of the type of person that hairdressing attracts?

*Handsome, darling, sugar, babe, that sort of thing.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:or is it a consequence of the type of person that hairdressing attracts?

Nah, it's a consequence of their training I reckon, which is why even your pal, who's known you since he was 12 and can have perfectly normal conversations with you about all sorts of things and knows you're barely social and the answer is always "Um...not really", will at some point say "So are you doing anything at the weekend?" like every single other pod-hairdresser...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:07 pm UTC

cin[em]atic wrote:High school for me was Knights/Lady Knights.
Now in this case, wouldn't just Lady make more sense?
It's all quite silly in any case

my highschool was the same, but i like being the lady knights, it makes me feel like something out of a Tamora Pierce book.
ImageImageImageImageImage

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

It should be Knights and Dames, if we're going for the equivalents in british titles.

I really dislike ladies, for me it's only acceptable amongst friends in a mock sleazy manner. I used to get called ma'am all the time by the kids I taught taekwondo to, which was wierd, ma'am is not really used in the UK much, unless you're talking to the queen or a female judge.
Down here bird, my lover and handsome (pronounced 'ansum for authenticity) are the common ones. I don't mind them, it's always quite entertaining when people find out that my name actually is Bird.... :lol:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

:shock:

Angelene, you're my hero for the day. You totally said what I've been wanting to say about the whole issue. But I didn't feel like being dogpiled on it.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

Oh I've never seen this place as somewhere where fear should prevent one from expressing what's on their mind...generally my experience has been that the chances of my being the only person to think such a way are too remote to silence me, and if I have a unique perspective then it's surely more important to voice than ever? I wasn't trying to dismiss others' beliefs, but giving a different perspective.

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:14 pm UTC

Angelene wrote:Oh I've never seen this place as somewhere where fear should prevent one from expressing what's on their mind...generally my experience has been that the chances of my being the only person to think such a way are too remote to silence me, and if I have a unique perspective then it's surely more important to voice than ever? I wasn't trying to dismiss others' beliefs, but giving a different perspective.

I am totally all for voicing your perspective, but

Angelene wrote:As for being what a collection of femmes should be called...hyper sensitive much?.

^ That comes off as really condescending and dismissive of all the other people here who voiced their opinions that it is something they care about.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

You're right, and for that I apologise, and as I said, I didn't meant to sound dismissive in the slightest, but I just feel like there are far greater things to worry about than that which is possibly ill advised but well intentioned and ultimately I can't imagine anyone's feelings ever being hurt over being called a lady. Ah I'm kind of undoing my apologising aren't I. So be it.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

Angelene wrote:I've had customers call me ma'am, miss and various other such titles, again it's meant out of respect. MY boss calls our collective group "girls", he's 30, we're all in our 20's and adore him.

My boss refers to me and my two female coworkers as his 'girls' and it drives me up a fucking wall. I'm the youngest one there at 27, and you know, I'm not a fucking girl. I'm really not. And he's older than me, but not old enough that I'm willing to let him get away with it. And though I'm not *usually* bothered by the term ladies, I really fucking do not like being called 'sweetie' or whatever by people I don't know- unless they're over the age of 65. Or a diner waitress.
Diner waitresses are the shit.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Angelene

Postby Angelene » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Oh heavens, he doesn't call us his girls, he's not a pimp! Also, maybe his being gay makes it more ok...is that wrong of me?

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

crowey wrote:

It should be Knights and Dames, if we're going for the equivalents in british titles.

I really dislike ladies, for me it's only acceptable amongst friends in a mock sleazy manner. I used to get called ma'am all the time by the kids I taught taekwondo to, which was wierd, ma'am is not really used in the UK much, unless you're talking to the queen or a female judge.
Down here bird, my lover and handsome (pronounced 'ansum for authenticity) are the common ones. I don't mind them, it's always quite entertaining when people find out that my name actually is Bird.... :¡This cheese is burning me!:

That's it! Dames! I couldn't remember the proper female equivalent. Thanks.
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

Van

Postby Van » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

Hey. After reading all 359 pages, I figured the least I could do was register and thank you.. girls guys ladies raptors ya'll for providing such a wealth of useful information. :D Yesterday, I actually grabbed a copy of Making Faces based off the suggestions here, and it seems to be rather awesome for those of us on the more clueless side.

Regarding the ma'am/ladies thing, I was taught "Yes Sir/Ma'am" is the correct way to be polite, so that's what I fall back to when dealing with a single person regardless of age. Since I work in a grocery store, I have to deal with minor crowds at times, and I generally use anyone/ya'll/other unspecific (if informal) type identifiers.

Brief shoutout to Jessica, DJ, and Osha! I'm a little behind you, but barring the unexpected, I should have my HRT referral after my next therapy session. It's amazing how very, very, very slowly time passes when you're anxiously waiting for something.
Oregonaut wrote:You are a fucking idiot. (Insult.)
You say that you disapprove of sex before marriage, but you are fucking that idiot. (Ad hominem.)
You say that you disapprove of sex outside of marriage, but you are fucking your mom. (Ad mominem.)

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Van wrote:Brief shoutout to Jessica, DJ, and Osha! I'm a little behind you, but barring the unexpected, I should have my HRT referral after my next therapy session. It's amazing how very, very, very slowly time passes when you're anxiously waiting for something.

Yay! *hug*
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Van wrote:Brief shoutout to Jessica, DJ, and Osha! I'm a little behind you, but barring the unexpected, I should have my HRT referral after my next therapy session. It's amazing how very, very, very slowly time passes when you're anxiously waiting for something.
Oh man, awesome! Go van! *hug*

crowey

Postby crowey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

Cool Van! :mrgreen:

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

Re: the "ladies" things, for me it depends entirely on tone and context. Being referred to a "ladies" when I'm out with a group of my female friends by a waiter/bartender/etc doesn't bother me. Anything in a "hey, ladieeees" context will generally warrant an eyeroll.

Also: I know I've said this before, but I really, really, really love my new bras. They make my rack look goddamn fantastic, I can jump/run/bend over without ever having to readjust, and can wear them for 18+ hours with no discomfort. And they're pretty and fully covering without being old ladyish. Or screaming "I'm a full-figured bra!".*

*I wear a 38D/DD, and these are the first pretty/lacy/well fitting bras I've had in ages.

crowey

Postby crowey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

Ooh, you're the same size as me, where did you get them?

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

crowey wrote:Ooh, you're the same size as me, where did you get them?

Macy's, but I know they also have them in JC Penny's and probably Dillards/Kohls/etc, they're the Vanity Fair ones here. And they're seriously the first bra I've had in 5-6 years that eliminated readjusting, and whose under-wire didn't start the chafe at the end of the day. And bonus, the cups held up through a washing machine on normal cycle, both at home and school.
And they're pretty!

crowey

Postby crowey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

cool! thankyou, I will see if I can find a stockist in the UK :mrgreen:

Osha

Postby Osha » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Yay Van, Go Go Go! :D

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:14 am UTC

Spoiler'd for not dragging the thread back to the legitimacy of reactions topic.
Spoiler:
Angelene wrote:First of all, some of you reacted in a rather aggressive manner to a newcomer to the forum and did so entirely needlessly...he was just trying to take advantage of the collective wisdom to be found here, and it's a rare opportunity to meet such a group of females in what tends to be a place without judgement...he was accused of being chauvinist whereas I think the reaction he received was far more sexist.
True, I'm sure he didn't mean any harm by it, but one of the fantastic things about this thread is that our concerns and thoughts are legitimate here- nothing gets fobbed off because it's girly or whatever. We don't have to feel like some mysterious enigma to be cracked, we just are. Bristling a little at questions that just take us to the normal "Women are crazy/weird/different/whatever" sort of place is understandable, I'd have thought. Were we really all that aggressive? I didn't think so, especially for how protective some of us have become over the few safe spaces we've got.
Congratulations, Van!

Woman thread, I have the most awesome shoes:
Spoiler:
image200902010001.jpg
image200902010001.jpg (27.7 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

image200902010002.jpg
image200902010002.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Super-soft black flats that even I can wear, with measuring tape around the edges and in a bow. And for only 12 pounds or something similar in London.

I tried the drag make-up on yesterday- gods, false eyelashes are difficult. I'll post a picture when I figure out how to.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:25 am UTC

I only have one pair of flats cuz generally I either wear sneakers or flip flops but Oh me yarm those are adorable! I want them, they're precious.
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

Return to “General”