[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Re: Woman Thread - Holds 5% more blue liquid than other brands!

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:*hugs* for __jess, Tin, and podbaydoor. That's rough. You eat lots of ice cream and call in your friends to keep you company.

And __jess, I've never seen a picture for which the phrase "cute as a button" is more appropriate. Are those freckles I see?
Thankyou. I think you just made my day. I'm smiling! :D Those are indeed freckles, and I do my best to never hide them.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

fuschia wrote:Also: bad science/misogyny of the day:

The Telegraph explains that the slutty cheating wimminz can't help it...it's our hormones! But which hormone? And you know, more importantly, do men find us sexy? Argh..... :x

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... cheat.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandte ... rmone.html

Urgh, the torygraph has gone waaay downhill the last couple of years (since it got taken over by the daily fail lot). Do you read badscience.net ? it's a great site.
And I fully intend to marry Ben Goldacre.....

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

__jess wrote:So, uh, this is what I did today:
Spoiler:
P1030886.jpg

Awwwwe really really cute~~~ :3
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Osha

Postby Osha » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:I would be uncomfortable with unisex bathrooms, I think.

The ones at Boise State University fit only one person at a time and have a door lock so I suppose the most dangerous part is exiting. Overall it's pretty safe. Certainly it will be significantly safer for me in a few months; I've already gotten one weird look when leaving the mens room.

Also:
_jess: That is some great hair <3.

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

*more hugs* for podbaydoor, tin, and __jess
also, freckly people who don't wear piles of cover up and foundation ftw! Not only do I share your freckles, (well not your freckles, that'd be a bit odd wouldn't it?) but I've also been planning to dye my hair very similar to that! Except mine actually will be purple. Though I've always wanted to do electric blue as well. I probably will when the purple fades.
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

Srsly, people, freckles are mad cute.

Regarding unisex bathrooms: my college had unisex bathrooms in all the dorms except for a few (the classrooms and other buildings still had regularly separated rooms, though). It's a little weird at first, but it's pretty easy to adapt to, most people find. Ultimately, I think they're a good thing, since I think lowering the "mystique" and separateness between genders is a good thing. I dunno.

My sympathies to those who'd feel genuinely apprehensive about using them, though--I can understand why, but I hate how the world is such that that's the case.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:21 pm UTC

My first college was not split up by gender. The dorms were broken up into halls, which might have anyone (first year through senior and male/female/gender queer all together) so the dorm bathrooms were uni sex. In the academic building they had single gender bathrooms and unmarked bathrooms (which sort of defaulted as female bathrooms since the campus was 6:1 female:male) because some students did not want opposite sex teachers in the same bathroom.
My only problem with sharing a bathroom with males was when they thought it was funny to break the door off the stall. I found the destruction irritating.
Now I live with 2 guys and one of my roommates sometimes pees on the seat. I sort of wish he would just lift it, since it's not like I bug them for leaving the seat up.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:My only problem with sharing a bathroom with males was when they thought it was funny to break the door off the stall. I found the destruction irritating.

My uni didn't do the single gender thing either and I ended up being the only girl of about 10 boys. That was sometimes hard to deal with and sometimes amazing. Anyway, they would also think it was hilarious to rip the doors of bathrooms when drunk, or generally destroy things (like the drawing tables which came free with our room), which pissed me off to no end.

@_jess: Your hair is nifty. I would love to put some crazy colours in my hair, but considering it'd have to be bleached blonde first, i'd probably just stick to something this. Man, i love that woman's style. Also, hugs for your heartbreak.

Speaking of which, i've been using retail therapy as an excuse to feel better all this week, so I bought some new things! I usually end up photographing clothes and outfits I like to show my best friend and gain some sage advice, but I just ended up buying these things anyways...

Spoiler:
Apologies for dodgy camera phone photos in changing rooms and bathrooms.

DSC00025.JPG
New dress!
DSC00025.JPG (219.26 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

DSC00031.JPG
New slouchy artist smock...thing! Also, new skinny jeans for the mighty Doc Martins I got for Christmas.
DSC00031.JPG (247.06 KiB) Viewed 4023 times

DSC00024.JPG
Very appropriate jewellery for the current circumstance, I reckon.
DSC00024.JPG (205.63 KiB) Viewed 4022 times

You know what would be cool? People posting their favourite fashion ensembles. I'd love to see them. It'd be like xkcd street fashion photographs...kind of.
i dare you to take me on...

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Great outfits, but I especially adore the necklace
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

Such poise. You pull of those outfits fabulously.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

Man, tin, you are GORGEOUS.

I'm going shopping with girlfriends for new bras today so hopefully the distraction will take my mind off the mental circles that keep ending with me bursting into tears in the middle of class. And since I stopped replacing the tissue supply in my backpack, this gets messy and awkward.

Also, anyone have suggestions for indulging the impulse to hit things really hard without doing too much property (or human) damage?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Going to the gym and using the punching bag is always fun. If you have a gym handy that is.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

Aw, thanks you guys.

podbaydoor wrote:I'm going shopping with girlfriends for new bras today so hopefully the distraction will take my mind off the mental circles that keep ending with me bursting into tears in the middle of class. And since I stopped replacing the tissue supply in my backpack, this gets messy and awkward.

:( This is totally where my head is right now too. I echo what sophy said about the punchbag. I've making do with handing a royal beatdown to a pillow at the moment but I feel a punchbag would be way better.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Pillows. You can bite them, too. >.>

Tin: love the outfits, love the glimpse of hair in that first one! Also what Moo said, you pull those outfits off very well. :)

Unisex bathrooms: are we talking about single-stall-and-sink unisex, or the kind with 2-6 stalls and a sink or two? I like unisex single-stall, but unisex with multiple stalls would make me pretty uncomfortable, I think.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

tin, ever been scouted? seriously. you carry clothes beautifully and you've a fab figure. I <3 Topshop.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

@ tin : that dress is amazing. I am entirely envious of it :oops:

I really should get some new pictures of me. I've been avoiding it for some reason I cannot figure out.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

On freckles: I have a love/hate relationship with mine. They appear to be not that obvious (once, after a good six months of knowing me, a friend suddenly said "Wow, you have freckles!"), but I do have a fair few. They're at their least obvious right now, and at the worst in the summer. I've never made any attempt to cover them up, because it would be pretty impossible and uncomfortable. Especially because I rarely wear makeup, and never wear any kind of foundation (tinted moisturiser at a push, but that's rare -- I can't find anything else light enough).

I might have a rummage through my wardrobe at some point and take some photos, though I can't think of any clothes I really love myself in at the moment. But then recently I've been dressing pretty much purely practically, which involves a lot of layers...

tin, you look gorgeous as always. :)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Number Eight

Postby Number Eight » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Also, anyone have suggestions for indulging the impulse to hit things really hard without doing too much property (or human) damage?

...except this, you mean?
me wrote:on a completely unrelated note, I had this friend whose habit it was to buy stacks of cheap dishes at flea markets and the like. Whenever it happened that she was really, really, exceptionally angry, she'd take a pile and smash them on the tiled kitchen floor.

it's true.

Fantasizing about it can be almost as fun as actually doing it. My friends and I once spent about an hour comparing the assumed sensations of throwing a TV set out of a window, smash a huge pane of glass with some really heavy boots, hurling squishy vegetables at a wall, and the like.

Apart from that, sophy and Delalyra are obviously right. And nothing's better than a good pillow fight. ... apart from water balloons, in the summer.
:mrgreen:
Belial wrote:So if we switch to a soccer based economy, everything will be cool forever

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

Thank you for your lovely comments! I eagerly await all of y'all photos of cute outfits.

Angelene wrote:tin, ever been scouted? seriously. you carry clothes beautifully and you've a fab figure. I <3 Topshop.

Thank you very much! No, i've never been scouted...that's not something I'd ever, ever expect to happen to me. And multiple high fives to you lady, for your Topshop love.

Cassi wrote:I might have a rummage through my wardrobe at some point and take some photos, though I can't think of any clothes I really love myself in at the moment. But then recently I've been dressing pretty much purely practically, which involves a lot of layers...

Doooo it, Cass! :D Also, winter layered outfits are super cute anyway.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Ha, I'm not so sure about that...today I had the jeans and wellies look going, with my rowing hoodie and splash jacket...yea, I looked cool. There are probably at least a few things in my wardrobe worth taking photos of, so I definitely will take a look soon.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

*wellington high-five*

Funnily enough, more people have complimented me on my wellies than on my new rocks. I..I think they may be cooler than we originally intended them.

Also: tin. You're at least 200% concentrated awesome.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

My wellies are *brilliant* and were a tenner from Shoe Zone! Pretty much everyone in Durham has wellies, though, of varying levels of awesome. I love being able to walk around in wellies and not be looked at like I am some kind of freak... (I went to the college shop earlier in my PJ bottoms, a hoodie and wellies and didn't get any looks. Though I also didn't get any milk. Boo college shop.)

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

Aw darn I just wore the shirt I'd choose as my photomograph outfit, so y'all will have to wait for laundry first :)
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

If I take photos, I'm definitely going to just take loads and picspam the woman thread. :P

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Aw yeah, let's get some xkcd style going on in here. Whatever you're into, everyone has (or should) have an outfit or an article of clothing they feel confident in, dressed up or dressed down or whatever.

Note to self: get some snazzy wellies.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

Right, on Wednesday after the cleaner comes I will go through and find a favourite outfit for a variety of occasions...super dressy to trekking out in the snow. I have rubbish lectures tomorrow...

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

I really need to keep up on this thread more. So much great stuff!

__jess: I am in love with your hair. I had mine pink-purple for a while and sometimes I miss it. Yours is utterly fantastic and making me want to do something exciting. :) Also, big hugs.

tin: You are gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, and I want to steal your shoes. I have been lusting after similar Docs for years. One of these days, maybe...

Also, I just bought some new clothes (it appears the retail therapy thing is catching) and might be motivated enough to take some pictures. I would love to see the Woman Thread's style photos so very much.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

I made glow in the dark wellies for a free party I went to last summer. :mrgreen:

tin you are totally fit <3
I shall do some style photos at some point, I want to see the residents of the women thread :mrgreen:

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:01 am UTC

I'm really bad at buying clothes for myself (or anything for myself, really) - I can never seem to justify it. I did cave in and buy a cute little white dress the other day. Unfortunately I need to add some straps to it, though - I don't quite have the bust to hold something like that up... :oops:

Spoiler:

Oh, and here's a pic of me from a few years ago (actually, maybe even 8 years ago now... it *really* doesn't feel like that long, though. My boy and I met online and when he asked to see a photo of me this is what I gave him ;)

Spoiler:

And finally, I seem to be turning into one of those 'always a bridesmaid...' girls, so here's me (on the right) and the rest of us bridemaids :)

Spoiler:

Katieesq

Postby Katieesq » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:24 am UTC

I'll follow the lovely Ms. Tin's example:
Spoiler:
boots.jpg
boots.jpg (28.36 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Cupcakes of HOPE!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 am UTC

I'm gonna be a bridesmaid for the first (and quite possibly the last time) soon.

I say quite possibly the last, because most of the girls I know probably don't consider me bridesmaid material (in that I'm not great friends, and they have others). The few other people I think who might pick me either are married or probably not getting married for a long long time.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:55 am UTC

Jessica wrote:I'm gonna be a bridesmaid for the first (and quite possibly the last time) soon.

I say quite possibly the last, because most of the girls I know probably don't consider me bridesmaid material (in that I'm not great friends, and they have others). The few other people I think who might pick me either are married or probably not getting married for a long long time.

I'm actually getting a little tired of the bridesmaid thing - it's fun, but it really makes it hard to properly enjoy the wedding, since you're sitting at a different table and are always getting caught up in photos and things. My other sister has just gotten engaged, so I'm going through it all again... When it comes time for me to have my wedding I just *know* I'm going to end up with a million bridesmaids because I'll want to thank everyone for having me as their bridesmaid....

I'm glad that I've only got two friends left that are likely to want me to be their bridesmaid - and they're unlikely to get married for a fair while.

I've got two other weddings happening this year - I'm glad I'm not a bridesmaid for them! Everyone seems to be getting married at the moment, I wonder if it's to do with the financial crisis...

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:37 am UTC

Well, today's spoils include pretty new underwear and two new sweaters. I'll definitely do some modeling for the xkcd Women thread!

(Is it acceptable to model underwear in this thread? I know it might be a bit inappropriate or creepy. *anxious*)
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:39 am UTC

I think it's fine, if you're comfortable. If it makes you anxious, maybe not. Totally depends on your comfort zones.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:51 am UTC

It's fine with me if it's fine with you. It might be helpful to clarify in your next post that you do not (I assume) post such pictures looking for creepy comments, and to define what that means to you. I'm sure a bunch of mods will be keeping an eye on the thread (and the vigilantes who work with them), so you should be safe, but it's good to be clear. I would also put the images in spoilers (good practice anyway) and label them potentially NSFW.

It might also do to request that no one quote your picture in their post, so that if at any time you change your mind, you can simply delete the image without having to ask any mods to delete it from other posts.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:54 am UTC

You could also take a picture of the underwear while it's on a table, rather than model it, if you like. Me, I'd be wary of letting pics of me loose on the 'net that I wouldn't want widely distributed. :shock:
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

dA ShAzAm

Postby dA ShAzAm » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:18 am UTC

What did you guys think of Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist? I saw it for the first time today and rather enjoyed it.

Also who made a worse first impression here?

Me:
I do not mean to taint this holy ground but as a man I feel I need to take advantage of this gathered wisdom and ask you ladies some questions:

Or Ninjacore:
CAN'T... STOP ...READING.........FEMALES...SO STRANGE...

I'm having a love/hate relationship with this thread
~Solomon Hercules Atlas Zeus Achilles Mercury~
"When he types the name of the ancient wizard, he is magically transformed from a man into an idea--societies most doughty design!"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:24 am UTC

Um, ninjacore because he failed to learn from your mistake, and is therefore a stupid monkey.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

dA ShAzAm

Postby dA ShAzAm » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Does that mean you see me as slightly less ignorant than I once was?
~Solomon Hercules Atlas Zeus Achilles Mercury~
"When he types the name of the ancient wizard, he is magically transformed from a man into an idea--societies most doughty design!"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:34 am UTC

That, and your appropriate use of punctuation, lead me to designate you currently as 'less ignorant than ninjacore'.
I recommend doing something epic very soon, else that bit becomes your title.

Wait, no, that's terrible advice.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Return to “General”