[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Delalyra

Re: Woman Thread - Holds 5% more blue liquid than other brands!

Postby Delalyra » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:35 am UTC

Tin: you are fabulous. :D Those outfits look great on you.

Shoes and skirts: are we supposed to wear a certain something? I usually opt for flats, because I like flats. Or boots, if it's wintery out.

I just ordered long, warm, cute socks. Squee!
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:41 am UTC

tin=the awesome I am muchly jelous of the hair.

shoes/skirts dilemmas. In the winter I go for doc martens or 80s style hightops, In the summer pumps (see sugar shoes for cute ones) or flipflops.
I don't wear heels unless I'm making a big effort to look smart.

Speaking of, I'm playing a concert next week with my new chamber orchestra, I'm right at the front because I'm the cellist. It's black tie, I don't know what to wear.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:03 am UTC

Osha, your avatar looks so pleasantly excited that I'm always happy to see you post with such enthusiasm. <3
How big is your wardrobe now?
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:09 am UTC

Tin, that's all fabulous- I love your style.

I want this necklace from ThinkGeek. Yay shiny.
Last edited by eternal luna on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:14 am UTC

Re shoes with skirts, I usually wear flats or if I want some height, shoes with wedge heels work well. They're just like wearing flats, but are a bit more dressy and make you tall (which helps, when you are short like me).

Also, psst, Luna! Your link points at not a necklace. Which is a shame, I wanted to see the shiny :)

Osha

Postby Osha » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:26 am UTC

<nyssa> wrote:Tin, you look awesome. In everything. But I am in love with the red skirt in the first photo :)

Also eek@Osha's new skirt! I bet its even more awesome in person than in the photo.

Also, also: I just got my ears pierced! owowowowow! Much pain is being had, my ear lobes are not friends with me at the moment.
I'll take a picture on Monday or Tuesday. :)
Hope your ears feel happier soon. I might get my ears pierced this summer.

OK, now that I've calmed down a little...
Shoes and skirts: It's already hard enough to find shoes in my size without worrying about if it matches my skirt or not.
Tin: has some serious style. <3

InstinctSage wrote:Osha, your avatar looks so pleasantly excited that I'm always happy to see you post with such enthusiasm. <3
How big is your wardrobe now?
My wardrobe's practically non-existent. Of the few clothes I do have, most of them don't fit. So I'm going to go bargain clothes shopping as soon as I have a day off (sadly not this week) which should be awesome.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:12 am UTC

Oops :blush: Here it is.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:19 am UTC

Osha wrote:
<nyssa> wrote:Tin, you look awesome. In everything. But I am in love with the red skirt in the first photo :)

Also eek@Osha's new skirt! I bet its even more awesome in person than in the photo.

Also, also: I just got my ears pierced! owowowowow! Much pain is being had, my ear lobes are not friends with me at the moment.
I'll take a picture on Monday or Tuesday. :)
Hope your ears feel happier soon. I might get my ears pierced this summer.

Yay pictures! Thanks, they already feel a little happier. Ooh, its so worth the small amount of pain though, they're really pretty :).

eternal luna wrote:Oops :blush: Here it is.

Wow. Shiny. And glowing. Awesome.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:Oops :blush: Here it is.

*Is distracted by the shiny*

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:35 am UTC

/me approves of that necklace

Shiny and distracting and preety!
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:25 am UTC

The shiny, it pleases me!

And thanks for the nice comments everyone.

crowey wrote:Speaking of, I'm playing a concert next week with my new chamber orchestra, I'm right at the front because I'm the cellist. It's black tie, I don't know what to wear.

The first thing which springs to mind for something like that is a classy black dress (Little Black Dress, maybe?). That could be the way to go.
i dare you to take me on...

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

Tin: lookin' awesome! I love the hair, and the first outfit especially! The not-so-neatly-tucked-in tshirt suits it too :D
This too shall pass

crowey

Postby crowey » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

tin wrote:The first thing which springs to mind for something like that is a classy black dress (Little Black Dress, maybe?). That could be the way to go.

LBD would be nice, but the problem is whatever I wear has to have a full skirt (or an epic split-but I'm not going there), so I can straddle my cello. Oh and I'm totally skint this month :(
I'll rummage in my wardrobe and put up pics of what I already own soonish.

pemcat

Postby pemcat » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

tin wrote:The shiny, it pleases me!

And thanks for the nice comments everyone.

crowey wrote:Speaking of, I'm playing a concert next week with my new chamber orchestra, I'm right at the front because I'm the cellist. It's black tie, I don't know what to wear.

The first thing which springs to mind for something like that is a classy black dress (Little Black Dress, maybe?). That could be the way to go.

Hmm, yeah usually when I've been in concerts and it's been black tie for boys it's been all black for girls. So although for a black tie dinner I would normally wear a colourful dress (more formal than a sundress, less so than a ballgown), I would probably wear all black for a black tie concert (and when it's been all black, there have been girls in trousers, skirts, dresses, blouses, jumpers etc, really quite a range (Is it comfortable to play 'cello in a skirt? If not I would definitely go black trousers and dressy top route)) - even if all the girls wear colours you probably won't stand out massively in black since the boy's DJs and trousers will be black. Of course, what is normal for my area/orchestras I've played in may not apply for your area/orchestra.

Dress codes are both easier and harder when you're a girl: harder because it's much less well defined what you should wear, but easier because there is a lot of latitude that guys simply don't have.

Edit: Yeah, given what you'd said I'd probably do trousers and dressy top. Are there other girl 'cellists you can ask what they are wearing? If you're the only one you can probably get away with what you like anyway, I think most people would understand that it is necessary to be able to play your instrument, and hence would be unsurprised by a girl cellist wearing trousers where a girl violinist might prefer a skirt.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

I don't think I've ever seen a girl cellist wearing a skirt for any of the concerts I've ever done. Then again, most of the girls in the orchestras I've been in wear trousers, so they might stick out a bit in a skirt anyway.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

I'm a female cellist, and for all the concerts I did in school I wore a skirt. It was a very full, pleated skirt that ended an inch or two below my knees, it gave me enough fabric to put between my legs so I could rest my cello in there without flashing people. :)

Nowadays I mostly wear pants, since I have a lot of super cute ruffle-y shirts I can wear on top, back in school I really didn't have any cute shirts so I wore a cute skirt.

I <3 my cello, I should take a picture of me playing it.

crowey

Postby crowey » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Therein lies the problem, When I was in school and uni I had a skirt I could wear (which I no longer have :| ), and we all had to wear subfusc anyway (black skirt/trousers and white shirt, bow tie for boys, this wierd ribbon bow tie thing for girls). It was easy.
Now, black tie is difficult. All my black dresses are impossible to play cello in, all the dresses I can play cello in are clourful. I have a black skirt, but it has rainbow paisley sequins on (I kid you not), and I don't have a top that goes with it. I don't own trousers that arent jeans or for doing sports in (which I hadn't realised until just now :lol: ), and even if I did I don't have a shirt or anything that would go.
Also I've just realised I can't put my memory card from my camera in my new laptop, despite it having a slot labelled pro, it is too big for the card-WTF? And I've lost the USB cable. RAH!

I'll talk to the other girls in the group at rehersal tomorrow, see what they are wearing. If anyone is wearing colour, then I'm OK.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:00 am UTC

So for the entirety of fall quarter and back into summer I didn't have a period. I finally got one at about January 10th and it was fairly normal/a bit light. Then five weeks later I got another one, which seemed like "right away" after such a long time without. It was mostly brown sorta stuff, I almost felt like my system was being flushed out. Now, as of yesterday, I got a new one, and my thought process was this is awfully soon, isn't it? --> just thinking that because you're still not used to getting them --> HOLY SHIT it hasn't even been three weeks since the last one! --> maybe it's just spotting.

It's, uh, not just spotting. This is officially the heaviest flow I've ever had by far.

Uterus, you are confusing me!

What sorts of foods, if any, ought one to eat during a heavy flow? And could it be partly responsible for sleeping in until 5:30pm?
Raise up the torch and light the way.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:05 am UTC

Things high in iron are good when you have heavy bleeding.

Also, I sleep a lot too. I think it is winter.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:07 am UTC

I just tend to avoid dairy during heavy flow because I find it makes me a bit crampy/bloaty/queasy. This is entirely anecdotal though.

Also as sophy mentioned, Iron.
Rice Puddin.

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Iron and protein. :)

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:04 am UTC

Thanks! *noms on peanuts*

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:41 am UTC

I bought new boots today, they are pretty sick. Today was also kind of horribly disappointing because there were so many more boots that I wanted, but will never ever be able to fit into. And today was supposed to be 'meaux finally gets boots that she wants' day, and so that kind of sucked. My feet are size six, and my calves are goddamn 16" around, so there's no such thing as tall boots that fit me. Extended calf boots exist, of course. Starting in size seven.
I can get up to mid-calf in some styles, especially the ones I have now because they lace up, but the taller boots that lace leave about four inches between the tongue and the side of the frickin' boot, so that's right out. I had hoped my friend who works at Fluevog would be able to stretch the leather out for me, but turns out all of these boots would need to be stretched at least 3 if not 4 inches, and really 2 is the max they can do.
I just hate it because i really want good leather boots that reach my knees, like ever in my life, and it's not happening. I don't even like wearing skirts that much but half the reason I hate skirts is because I don't like showing my legs even a little. So I can wear skirts with these with tights or leggings, and that'll do but it's still too much leg for me usually.
Crappy cameraphone pic ho!
03-08-09_2106.jpg
03-08-09_2106.jpg (60.06 KiB) Viewed 4804 times

03-08-09_2336.jpg
03-08-09_2336.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 4806 times

They were not what I went in for at all, but I love them. They're super shiny! And they're pretty sexy.
And they're a unisex style which makes me kind of happy, because I like it when an outfit can go either way. ...I also like it when my clothing allows for optional Firefly cosplay and I think these fit that bill.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:50 am UTC

I'm late, but I would like to reaffirm Tin's awesomeness. And I love that tee shirt so hard, totally my style.
As for shoes with skirts, I mostly wear mini skirts due to my size and I tend to just wear my converse or slip on vans. If I'm feeling fancy/girly, I'll throw on flats or jellies. Flip flops also are common. i very rarely wear heels, as I'm what people would call clumsy.
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:08 am UTC

I hope it's not adding insult to injury, Meaux, as this is a UK website (and they don't seem to say anything about international delivery) but I have huge trouble finding boots that fit my calf too. Although I really need black, I finally found one pair of camel coloured calf length boots that fit but they look as cheap as they were and are a bitch to get off :?

I saw an advert on TV that said "because 2 in 5 women in the UK have trouble finding boots that fit" or something, and wrote down the URL; I forgot to check it out until I read your post. They do boots in Standard, Extra Large and Ultra Wide calf width, I am so going to check it out. The prices seem typical high street store prices.

So for any UK ladies having trouble with boots, try here: www.jdwilliams.co.uk.

Love the black boots though, Meaux.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:18 am UTC

Augh, this period is freaking me out. The blood is fresh and bright and red and runny like it usually isn't and there's more of it than I'm used to and turns the toilet water redder than it usually does. Somehow even though I spend the entire time in the bathroom sitting down on the toilet, I dripped blood on the floor, twice: I just now noticed a pretty big wet blood drop on the floor and when I got down to wipe it up, I saw other, drier blood stains on the tiles that were definitely from me as well from the last time I went to the bathroom. I'm cramping, which I don't usually do. The smears on my thighs are bigger than they usually are and even have one or two of the little gobs on them (uterine chunks?). I just don't like this at all. It's been less than three weeks since my last period, which was light and brown and dry and clean -- what is going on?

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:30 am UTC

less congealed or something?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:31 am UTC

Yeah, that's about right.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 am UTC

*hugs*

That does sound like a stressful situation. I keep starting to write suggestions on what could have influenced Shark Week but honestly I'd rather not suggest things are fine if this is very out of character for Shark Week. If it doesn't stop soon, I think you may want to consider seeing a nurse about it or something?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

crowey

Postby crowey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

I was just about to say that Moo. If it continues for much longer a trip to the dr seems in order. *hugs*

meaux: love 'em :mrgreen:

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

please please please please let me not have a yeast infection please please please please please

I've googled "yeast infection" but the symptoms are so vague it's hard to tell. All I have right now are abnormally frequent need to urinate (independent of how much liquid is in my bladder) and a slight burning sensation when I pee. No abnormal discharge (thank goodness). My last period was over a month ago, so I haven't had a tampon up there for some time. I went swimming over a week ago, but didn't wear my wet swimsuit out of the pool for longer than a few minutes, and I showered after I got back home. The only cause I can think of right now is excessive emotional stress, but I've been doing much better lately, and these symptoms are really out of the blue. Woman Thread, help?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Good news: when I had a yeast infection it didn't feel anything like that. It was itchy as fuck and I had white discharge all over the show.

Bad news: that sounds more like a urinary tract infection.

lily

Postby lily » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

@ podbaydoor -- that sounds exactly like a urinary tract infection. Get thee quickly to a doctor! I had a UTI a few years ago that rapidly spread to my kidney; I almost lost the kidney before the antibiotics cleared it. They're scary business.... In the meantime, drink as much water as you possibly can, so much you'll feel like you're floating away. It'll make you have to pee even more (ouch), but until the infection is gone water and cranberry juice are your best friends.

I'm sorry! Hope you can deal with it quickly and not have any more pain.
Last edited by lily on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

Those boots are fantastic!

I wish I could find good boots.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

@Moo and lily: I googled UTI and yeah, it sounds like I have really mild symptoms of it. I'll get to the doctor as soon as I can. Thanks for the help!
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

@pod: that sounds like cystitis. I've heard that drinking cranberry juice helps for that... don't ask me why, but that's what my mom said to do when she thought i had it. Going to the doctor's is the right thing to do in any case, though.

Tin is beautiful! I'm a big fan of the t-shirt, and your ability to pull off the clothes you wear.
The boots are amazing. Speaking of boots, I wore my lovely wellies to school today. They're black and white polka-dotted with pink insides, and are generally amazing. I wish I had more outfits to wear them with.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

You should wear your wellies with EVERYTHING! Skirts and pants and shorts and jumpsuits if you like. They are just SO happy looking.

So, dear geeky women of the fora, I ask you to reaffirm the awesomeness of my anniversary present from my boy. He took these 8 gig usb flash drives (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/a6d9 ) and turned them into earrings! I know have 16 wearable gigs to run around with in super secret spy mode!

Go go gadget usb drive!
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Osha

Postby Osha » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

OK, as promised, a picture of me in a long swishy skirt.
When I'm standing up it goes to right above my feet :) (and mom said I was fool for getting extra-large and that it would never fit. Ha! Ha I say!)
Spoiler:
skirt1.jpg
skirt1.jpg (140.52 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
Oh, and sorry for the scary face. The photo gods apparently hate me today.

Hope your urinary tract gets better soon, Quixotess. *hugs*
Argyl3, those are indeed awesome earrings, they look perfect for hiding spy secrets <3
Cool black boots: Oooh! Shiny!

crickets

Postby crickets » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

On the boot train:

Okay, i don't want to sound conceited or anything, but i kind of want to claim that i win the boot game, because on boxing day i bough theses:

Now, the boots alone may not do it, but the last time i went to the doctors office, a lady there distracted her fussy small child by going "look at that girls boots! look at the little teddy bears!!"

Yusssss.
Also, to completely negate any conceit on my part, here are some floofy photos of me:
Spoiler:

And now you may all gasp in horror at my rotundness. Also, the dustyness of my roommates mirror. And my bad, bad photography. BAD.

Bai!
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

I have a picture of my favorite outfit ever. :)

Spoiler:

I took it in a hotel room when I was in Vegas. I lovelovelove the shoes that I am wearing. :)

Osha: That skirt is so cute and colorful! I love it!

argyl: When I used to work on the geek squad I had earrings that I made out of super old RAM chips, sadly I somehow lost one. :( Customers never really got them, but all my co-workers thought they were hilarious.

crikets: I love the dress you're wearing in that second picture, where is it from?

Return to “General”