[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Re: Woman Thread - Holds 5% more blue liquid than other threads!

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

My cup size shock advice---Don't get attached to/concerned over the letter attached to your cup size. If you get hung up on the letter number and end up with an ill fitting bra you'll feel awful. If you get one that is snug at the band and has no spillage--you'll look and feel gorgeous.
Rice Puddin.

qos

Postby qos » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:42 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:Purses: I never used to use one, always wore cargo type pants and carried tons of things with me all the time (including toy cars and bouncy balls). I now sit here in jeans that have no useful pockets to speak of. back packs work ok if you just need to have your keys and stuff but don't need to carry it everywhere with you (if you can leave it at your desk or office). I have a shoulder bad made of can tabs sort of like this bag but with a longer strap. There are many many options when it comes to bags, and you don't need to think stereotypical 'purse'.

That's a good thought...the messenger bag never occured to me...

Jessica wrote:I actually quite enjoy my purse. I put everything in it. I like the large over the shoulder bags which can, in fact, hold everything. I used to put things in my pockets, but as time went, and as one of my friends told me over and over again to stop, I've moved it all into my purse.

I'm glad to know the adjustment can be made, it's just not something I'm used to.

Re: boobage, I don't really have any, and I really oscillate on my opinions on the matter. For sports (martial arts, really) it's great, easier to support your own body weight (coupled with zero hips!) and even getting nailed in the chest isn't terrible, like what I've heard from my amigas. But there are days when I would love to have some cleavage to work with, even just to remind all the boys that I'm not really one of the boys.
"We can come to look upon the deaths of our enemies with as much regret as we feel for those of our friends, namely, when we miss their existence as witnesses to our success." -Schopenhauer

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:56 am UTC

This tampon ad confused me. Vampires? I don't know whether to laugh or not.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:43 am UTC

It's sort of funny, gross, strangely sexual. It really is a pretty bizarre ad. o_o
Rice Puddin.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:42 am UTC

they could've played up the twilight-vampire thing a lot more... :roll:
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:39 am UTC

they should have, i mean, he could be shimmery.
ImageImageImageImageImage

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:09 pm UTC

*facepalm* I got just as sucked into those books as every other stupid girl I know, but vampires DON'T SPARKLE. They EXPLODE or melt in the sun! GAH!

Anyway, good news on the bra front. a few... hundred pages back I'm sure I was bitching about how I can find a band that fits me but cup sizes are always shaped incorrectly for my breasts. I think my problem was, I was trying to find bras at Victoria's Secret. Don't get me wrong, they do make good bras, but they don't make good bras for girls shaped like me. Finding my size was always a pain in the ass and the cups were never just right. I though I was doomed to slightly ill-fitting bras my entire life.

I have found my savior in Madienform bras. Holy. Feminine. Handgrenades. I took about 5 into the booth with me to try on hoping maybe one would feel ok, and THEY ALL FELT GREAT. I think my boobs cried a little when I put them back in the one I had worn in. I only got one, but at least I know that there are bras out there for me... and they are size 36C, damnit! ^_^

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

ARGH.

So, the pertinent question of this post is "Is anyone here on Yaz? What do you think?"
Spoiler:
I'm thinking of taking it for my PMDD, because though I haven't been diagnosed by a professional, I think any anxiety problems I have are wicked exacerbated by my hormones.
I have had the month from hell. My last period was bad, really heavy and lasted like 7-8 days when it should be 5-6, and I have had cramps nearly every day since then. The last three days of this week were terrible, the mood swings I have had were horrendous. I have spent every weekend for the last three weeks crying my eyes out. I had such anxiety friday that I couldn't calm down, no matter what I did, and I tried to sleep but ended up waking up just after midnight to have a full-on anxiety attack complete with hysterical crying and self-harm and a two-hour 2AM hysterical phonecall to the boyfriend. This is not me.
I got Shark Week yesterday, three days early. Apparenly my cycle has shortened itself.

I feel so much better today. I mean, I've only been up for an hour, but the last three weeks my first feelings upon waking have been wanting to die. I feel fine today.

What the fuck, seriously. Is it not logical to think that this is hormonal?

If the commercials aren't lying and Yaz just might help this, I'll take it. It's just really scary because hormonal birth control usually causes that for me, instead of fixing it. I have taken other kinds and I end up feeling completely crazy, hearing voices or wanting to kill myself or fuck everything or both.
I don't really want to go through another *trial period* of figuring out for three months if my birth control is going to make me turn into a supervillain or slit my own throat. But I'm leaning toward getting on it for a while, just to see.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

That is disturbing.
I'm also confused about how they'd work... not very good for biting, and I thought vampires actually needed the blood. So something that was just super absorbent would seem to make for poor teeth.
Meh. I'm probably overthinking.

Also, @ Meaux: two of my friends from high school switched to Yaz from other pills that were making them have crazy mood swings/depression. So maybe definitely worth talking to your gyno about.
The mood swings sound hormonal, especially if they disappeared when Shark Week started. I've had mild-to-severe PMS (worse when I'm @ home and my mother & sister are cycling with me...), and the ring for me knocked that out. I could notice the difference, and now that I'm off it, I definitely notice the PMS. But I'm super-regular (last four times I've been able to time Shark Week's arrival down to the house), and generally have easy Shark Week.s

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:19 pm UTC

It's here!
My uterus!
Spoiler:
More photos, because I was having fun
Uterus again, without the flash (natural light)

All of my plushies

Closer look at my uterus hiding.

A better picture of my living room, with emphasis on the plushies and my Fruit fucker prime

Oh, and buddy Jesus, sitting on my monitor, looking awesome.

Not appearing in this photoshoot - talking silent bob, who seems to be currently MIA.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

@Meaux: I'm on Yaz right now and I'm pretty sure it's been the most amazing bc I've ever been on. I used to be on ortho tri-cyclin and on it my moods were a lot worse. Yaz barely took a month adjusting to it, and now it's perfect. I really really like this birth control. It did wonders for my skin, I haven't really been gaining weight, my moods are better. Hell, I get kind of cranky if I *miss* a pill. So yeah, something is definitely working right.

More good news: it had pretty much no impact on my libido!

@Jessica: awwwww. I heart guts too! You have a very cuddly womb.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

*squees, then dies*
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

Oh MY GOD!
Spoiler:
The companion-cube is a headcrab zombie! Oh no!

Brilliant womb :D It looks so happy!

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:I have found my savior in Madienform bras. Holy. Feminine. Handgrenades. ...^_^

I know! they are like the best bras evar!!!!
I really wish I knew where to find them though, I am not sure enough about my size to try an order form the interweb.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

Hiding uterus is adorable! Well that's a sentence I never thought I'd say, improper grammar or not.
The Jesus is a Dogma reference, no? I enjoy that movie.
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Sophy, if you go to Cambridgeside Galleria I'm almost positive they have them both at the Sears ad the Macy's there.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Sarah, I always forget that thing exists. Thank you for reminding me of the mall less than a mile from my house...
I bet there are things I need from there in like 10 ways anyway.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Uterus WIN! :D
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

argyl3 wrote:@Meaux: I'm on Yaz right now and I'm pretty sure it's been the most amazing bc I've ever been on. I used to be on ortho tri-cyclin and on it my moods were a lot worse. Yaz barely took a month adjusting to it, and now it's perfect. I really really like this birth control. It did wonders for my skin, I haven't really been gaining weight, my moods are better. Hell, I get kind of cranky if I *miss* a pill. So yeah, something is definitely working right.

More good news: it had pretty much no impact on my libido!

This is the kind of heartening news that will influence me to call the doctor!
Thank you Shro!
How long have you been on Yaz? I checked up on it and it's only actually approved to treat PMDD for three months, so I'm a bit wary of it, but after this last month it's time to try some stuff.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Emily St Aubert

Postby Emily St Aubert » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

I can literally be 45kg and not look good and I can be at 53 kg and not look good. What does the Woman Thread suggest for self-esteem?

It's tricky isn't it, I mean, when I look back at the years when I was as slim as you, I realise I must have looked great. But I'm pretty sure I didn't think so at the time. And even though I don't know you or anything, I'm pretty confident that you look great either way - even 53kg is very slim.

But I'm told that basing self regard on how you look is never a good idea; not (only) because society needs to stop hating fat women or any of that, but because it relies on what you think other people think of you rather than how you view yourself, and that is apparently never going to be enough to sustain real self esteem.

I'm not saying forget about it, it's impossible. But maybe try some of the kind of affirmation bollocks like thinking, "I put effort into being healthy and taking care of myself so I feel better" rather than anything to do with how you look.

Currently I'm really, really fat and struggling with the knowledge that it's become impossible to do anything about it while I base all my opinions about myself primarily on how awful I look. See Fat Is A Feminist Issue for pretty much everything I think about this topic...

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

I am pretty trim and 62Kg (137lbs). People often do not believe it. I think it is because people think women weight less than they really do in general. I think the trick to looking good might be confidence, which is much harder to get and maintain than weight for me.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

Emily St Aubert wrote:but because it relies on what you think other people think of you rather than how you view yourself, and that is apparently never going to be enough to sustain real self esteem.
Ouch...

Oh yes, and I agree with Sophie about looking good being mostly believing that you look good.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

I agree. I was overweight for a very long time (still am, but only marginally--because my body is happy right where it is even if it doesn't agree with everyone else). I spent/spend time agonizing over weight sometimes but most of the time I think--my body does so many amazing useful things and so I should take care of it as best I can and try to figure out what's healthy for me.

And I quite like my hips. I was once told they should be made illegal. :D

It's really hard to do--I struggle with it all the time even if I'm mostly happy with the me I am today.
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

I hate having to deal with my weight.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

Holy poo! Jessica, your uterus is adorable!!

Anyway, about the weight thing, I used to think about my weight a lot when I was younger. And I don't think my body's really changed all that much, but I like it a lot more now. I guess a combination of time and wearing clothes that I think look good helped a lot. So go out and get something pretty to wear!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

I never, ever hear other girls/women describe themselves as medium-sized* but I really think I am. I don't look good thin. I've never been fat. I have plenty of squishy parts but they fit under flattering clothing just fine and if they don't it's the fault of the outfit being unflattering.

Weight's a weird descriptor because it a) doesn't account for muscle weighing more and b) people are so, so different.
Last edited by H.E.L.e.N. on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

I think I am medium-sized when I look my best. I don't like how I look right now (fat), but when I was in high school and habitually starving myself, people started telling me to have a sandwich when I got under 140, about a size 8, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look good thin either. I think 150 - size 8-10ish would be about perfect.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

zug

Postby zug » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I think I am medium-sized when I look my best. I don't like how I look right now (fat), but when I was in high school and habitually starving myself, people started telling me to have a sandwich when I got under 140, about a size 8, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look good thin either. I think 150 - size 8-10ish would be about perfect.

how tall are you? I know taller women can pull off more weight obviously, since it has more places to go. I am 5'2" but I was very happy when I was 150 back in high school

when I went through my growth spurt I was in size 3 jeans. THAT will never happen again hahah
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Emily St Aubert

Postby Emily St Aubert » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Ouch...

I didn't mean it like that! Oops. Sorry. I expressed it badly. It's the basing your view of yourself on what others think that's apparently not enough; you have to feel good about yourself independently of what others think of you. Even if they think you look wonderful.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

What we have here, is a failure to communicate :)

I am the one who expressed myself poorly; that was the "ouch" of it hitting uncomfortably close to home.

Emily St Aubert

Postby Emily St Aubert » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Aah fair enough! hehe - it's my low self esteem, makes me worry too much about saying the wrong thing... *winky smiley*

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

I could stand to have a little less thickness in certain areas (eg tummy). I wish some of it would go anywhere else. But I don't feel obese, or really look it... I don't think.
I'm not skinny, by any stretch, but... I don't feel fat? Maybe it's my own perception, but I feel... thick. Not poorly proportioned, just extra weight everywhere.

I'd like to get down to 180lbs. I think it's really doable for me to get to at least 180. But, that's 40lbs to shed, and requires exercise and eating right. I should just do it. Hmmm.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Start eating right first, it is very nommy. Like this stuff! Lentils, where have you been all my life?

Weight: used to worry about it a lot (a lot) when I was 11, 12, 13, 14 (how rotten is that? I hadn't even hit puberty!) ...then I mostly stopped caring, and now I think I look just great. :) I'm 5'1" and around 145, fwiw. Curvy but well-proportioned.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

Delalyra wrote:Start eating right first, it is very nommy. Like this stuff! Lentils, where have you been all my life?
Speaking of tasty lentils. That reminds me, I really need to find more Ethiopian recipes.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Emily St Aubert

Postby Emily St Aubert » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Lentils are truly magnificent. Especially in dhal - lots of ground coriander, lots of lemon. Sadly, also, garlic fried in butter to finish it off.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

When I was at my heaviest, I tried to stave off worries about my weight by telling myself I was a medium sized person. Well, now I'm way down, and I look better than ever, so I guess that's that: I'm a small person. I need to start living a healthier lifestyle to stay that way.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

I've not weighed myself in a while.
I kinda worry about it though because everyone always says I am too skinny and such... which really messes with my head.
When I was in the best of shape I was 126lbs. It was stuck there for years so it seems to be my stable weight. With all my health issues in the past 4 years though its ranged from 110lbs to 135lbs.
Since being very conscious about being pescatarian, my weight feels to have leveled a bit though with the hormone changes I am getting rather fattier around some parts (read: everything) :oops:

I get concerned by my pants being impossible to get around my ass... but fitting on my waist... SOOOO CONFUSING IN THE MORNING.

Oh and RE Implants:
I see absolutely nothing wrong with them for those that wish them. I get more concerned when someone who is already well endowed gets implants to be giggly large, but that's up to them really. Other girls who are uncomfortable with their breasts by all means can have them enhanced or reduced, and it will make sense to me.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

I like lentils. I think I might pick up a can of them again when I go to the store.

I also love my new crockpot, and try and use it as often as possible. Because I love it so.

I just need to increase the activity in my life. I wake up, sit at my PC, walk to work (5 minutes) sit at my work pc, walk home, sit on my PC. Sometimes, I walk to and from a place to get fatty fatty fast food.

Sometimes I walk to my car, or around the grocery store.

Yeah.

I know my weight is too high. I'll never be a little woman, or petite, but I'm too large as it is.

Then again, I say this EVERY GOD DAMN WEEK. Dammit, Jess, go and actually do something about it.

Sigh.

I like lentils.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

DJorgensen wrote:I've not weighed myself in a while.
I kinda worry about it though because everyone always says I am too skinny and such... which really messes with my head.
When I was in the best of shape I was 126lbs. It was stuck there for years so it seems to be my stable weight. With all my health issues in the past 4 years though its ranged from 110lbs to 135lbs.

This. Very much this. It drives me absolutely up the wall every time someone says that to me. I AM A THIN PERSON. I have always been a THIN PERSON. I will probably never be much bigger than I am unless I decide to produce baby jmrz's. It just will not happen otherwise. I could probably do with more exercise which I guess would increase muscle and make me heavier, weight wise. But it doesn't matter what I eat or how much of it, I just do not put on weight. At school, I got accused of being anorexic and bulimic and just generally, not eating at all. It was ridiculous and it hurt, because I am just naturally a tiny person and the things people had the nerve to say and assume, where horrible.

The last time I weighed myself I was smack on 50kg, which I think is about 105-110lbs? I think on those chart things, that means I am about 5kg underweight, but for me, it is truly hard for me to put on weight. The last time I remember putting on weight was when I went on the pill and I gained 5kg and my boobs got bigger and my thighs and butt evened out so I have more shape now than I used to.

But just because I am naturally thin doesn't mean I am "too skinny", the same goes for everyone else, it is ridiculous that people think that way. For some people, it is genuinely really really hard to gain or lose weight and it certainly doesn't help having people nag you or insult you for it. It makes me really sad that people do actually do that.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

cin[em]atic

Postby cin[em]atic » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

I have a small frame, so people tend to think I'm a lot skinner than a feel. Plus my friends always bug me about what I eat, but being a vegetarian there's just not many options on campus. And on the rare occasion I eat a really big meal, even if I'm like disgustingly full afterwards, I will still be hungry again in two hours. So instead I usually just have snacks in between meals but then people don't really get that and bug me about not eating enough. But I'm in the healthy BMI range! The cusp of it, but still! And I've gained weight which means I can give blood now, which is cool. But one problem is that, even though i know it was god that I gained a few pounds, now I find myself feeling I need to lose it. I think maybe it's just because we're like programmed to think gaining weight is bad because on a whole Americans are more concerned with loosing weight.
d33p wrote:Em, did you ever know that you're my hero? You are the adorable crinkly-nosed freckles beneath my wings.

Return to “General”