[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Re: Woman Thread - The thread that gives (about once a month)

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Yes.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

While I have not tried it, I think so. It creates a seal with you vaginal walls that should stop the water from coming in or the blood from going out.

ninja'd
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:13 pm UTC

Indeed! It creates a seal(suction) that must be broke to take it out... so no need to worry about it leaking.
Actually I know a few people who have had sex with it in, "by accident" they say... but they said it didn't leak then either and apparently one of them's husband didn't even realize it was in there :lol:

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

This makes me wonder about many things. Like: if there was penetration it must have been with a small tool... if I can reach it with my fingers but they don't know it is there... confusing.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

I have been amazingly happy since switching to the cup. Shark Week is always annoyingly irregular, so I like that I can put it in a bit early once the first crampy feelings hit and not worry about TSS or feeling uncomfortably diapered, or wasting resources by throwing out pads and tampons unused cuz I put them in too early. Actually, that not wasting resources part is just great all around.

But mostly they are comfortable and convenient. I'm really active and I like that I can wear them with complete confidence during running or karate etc.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

you know curious minds had to test it out itself...
apparently you can push it up behind your pubic bone and it basically disappears. Same concept at the instead cups right there... though honestly, they have had children... so probably helps too ;)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:This makes me wonder about many things. Like: if there was penetration it must have been with a small tool... if I can reach it with my fingers but they don't know it is there... confusing.

It suctions over the cervix, and the cervix tends to move upward with sexual arousal.

Or, to put it another way: You can reach it with your fingers now....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

Don't the big red streaks go away when you flush the toilet anyway?
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

I also understand that you can get cups that are one-use meant specifically for keeping intercourse unmessy.

Those watching at home should be reminded that a lump of silicon in the vagina is likely to increase condom malfunction.

@mmm Pi, not always

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Depending on my flow it can take a couple flushes. But I don't like to waste water, and my roommates pee on the floor sometimes, so I make them deal with it.

runa

Postby runa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

I first heard about the cup a year ago, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to give it a try. I don't use tampons simply because I'm, well, tiny and I really don't want to struggle too much with putting in a new one. Then again, maybe I was just doing it wrong the first time I tried.

So, anyways, where can I get a cup?

Edit: I just found http://www.mooncup.co.uk/ - any other websites I should look at?
Last edited by runa on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Wow, thanks for all the great answers!!! :D A couple quick questions: Is it pretty easy to take it out? How far inside of you is it?

I'm definitely going to give this a try . . . I'm not sure how it will work out on the first few days of Shark Week since I'm pretty heavy when I first start, and I'll have to make sure I am well prepared to empty it during work. Wish me luck!
milk from space is good for you!

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

runa wrote:So, anyways, where can I get a cup?

Where do you live? I've found them in places like Whole Foods or similar non-chain more organic-minded grocery stores.

Also the internets: http://www.keeper.com/ordering.html
http://www.divacup.com/

Where you can order online or find stores around you that may have them.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote: A couple quick questions: Is it pretty easy to take it out? How far inside of you is it?
Removal is where I struggled most when I was new to the whole thing. You get the hang of it, but there's a learning curve. Keeping the stem on for the first few times is a good way of getting used to removing it. I'd recommend the first use on a day where you know you'll be at home so you don't wind up panicing at a party or something. How far inside it is depends entirely on you! It will change place according to where your cervix is. I find it's low on heavy days and higher on light ones, but it's never more than a thumbs length away.

runa

Postby runa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I live in Norway but I can have it sent to my boyfriend in the U.K. The cup costs about $60 if I get it shipped to my place, but only $30 if I get it shipped to the U.K. Heh.

Edit: http://www.divacup.com/en/resellers/international_stockists/ -- :)

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

You can buy it in the UK, no need to ship here. Mooncups are at big Boots stores and probably online.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

runa

Postby runa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

Ah, maybe I'll just buy one when I'm in London this summer. Thanks :)

la fée verte

Postby la fée verte » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:Thanks. That was a very nice response. My problem is more that I see a child and my reaction is "For the love of all that's holy, I don't EVER want that." I have younger siblings, and I'm a terrible big sister. I have no patience with their immaturity. I'd be a terrible mother, and I don't think I could live with the knowledge that I wasn't doing a good job by my own child. I'm primarily concerned with my own self-image, but if that translates to one less job for social services, that's fine by me. And now I'm trying to justify my selfishness. Thanks again.

You're very welcome! And for what it's worth, I think what you just said is the exact opposite of selfish. Way too many people act like they have this automatic right to have children, as if they were a possession. Ironically enough, I think the fact that you are worrying about being a bad parent - i.e. considering your hypothetical kids' happiness rather than your own wants - is a pretty good sign that you'd be good at it.

But anyway, Divacups. I actually bought mine thanks to this thread. Thanks, Woman Thread!! :mrgreen:

I don't have that much to add, except that for me it also seems to help slightly with cramps. I'd already noticed that my cramps were better with tampons than with pads, so my theory is that having something inside for my muscles to clench around calms the spasms a bit, in the same way that orgasms do. Does anyone else notice that?
"We are all polylingual but some of us pretend that there is virtue in relying on not trying to understand." - Ani DiFranco

runa

Postby runa » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

la fée verte wrote:I think the fact that you are worrying about being a bad parent - i.e. considering your hypothetical kids' happiness rather than your own wants - is a pretty good sign that you'd be good at it.

I totally agree. I'm actually a bit scared of kids - simply because I don't know how to, eh, be around them. But I do believe that I, one day, will be an awesome parent.

la fée verte wrote:But anyway, Divacups. I actually bought mine thanks to this thread. Thanks, Woman Thread!! :mrgreen:

+1

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

As a girl who doesn't have sharkweek, I never realized how much of a pain it could be during school. Just another example of privilege I guess...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

la fée verte wrote:I don't have that much to add, except that for me it also seems to help slightly with cramps. I'd already noticed that my cramps were better with tampons than with pads, so my theory is that having something inside for my muscles to clench around calms the spasms a bit, in the same way that orgasms do. Does anyone else notice that?

Huh. I did notice some improvement with my cramps with cup vs. tampons (they went for "crippling through the first four days of Shark Week" to "crippling through the first two"!) but I had the opposite experience before: my cramps get so much worse with tampons than pads, but are back to normally-bad with the cup. So I figured that it had something to do with just letting everything flow more freely. Weird.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:Yay! Aunty Jess (or Jessie?)! Let's hope Belial finds me suitable enough to womb service his clone.

I'm not clear on the regs, but I think I'm required to ask my girlfriend before I impregnate anyone.

Just a feeling.

Clones don't involve sex, silly! Who learned you on cloning?
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

I didn't say "impregnate with my penis".

Allow me to rephrase: If anyone is going to be carrying an infant partially or wholly based on my genetic material, for any reason, I should run it by her.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Hehe, sorry Belial. It would defintly(sp) be best to tell the sig. other of new creation. It would be best to avoid Dr. Frankenstein's mistake. He waited until the last minute and it killed her(and everyone else..). So, when's injection time? :P

Speaking of Shark Week (this always makes me think of the Discovery Channel), this will be my second cycle on ze pill. I pray my emotions won't be too dangerous. I just want my hormones balanced :(
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

namaize

Postby namaize » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

This is a little late, but for anyone curious about menstrual cups, I would STRONGLY recommend looking around here: http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/
There are pretty much answers to any question you can think of, comparison charts of every cup on the market, a handy list of tags on the sidebar, and it's just a really great (and very knowledgeable) community if there's another question you can't find the answer to (hm, sounds a lot like this thread ;P).

I did get the idea of getting a cup from this thread though :D Yay Ladycup, and yay woman thread.
Last edited by namaize on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

obituary

Postby obituary » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

This is a bit late but I just got home -- I would just feel weird bringing my backpack with me to the bathroom if I'm in the middle of class. I go to an all girls school so it is probably infinitely less awkward to just be like "Oh, need a pad change" etc., but I am just freaked out by the whole thing and am easily embarrassed. I envy all of you who are just like "deal." Regarding the pads question -- I'm from America and I use the big orange or green ones. My faves. The little ones just don't work out.

I wish these cup things were more accessible where I am. Maybe when I go off to college.
Also, I find it odd there is a livejournal community about... menstrual cups.. but maybe I don't spend enough time on LJ.
hey. i like you. <3.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

You can order them online, if there is nowhere near you that sells them. I think it's well worth the money and learning curve. (That said, I did wait until I was at uni to buy mine. Knowing I would then have my own bathroom so more freedom to spend the time I needed getting used to using a cup also helped, though.)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

namaize

Postby namaize » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

Agreed with Cassi.
How supportive do you think your parents would be? I have my own credit card, so I just ordered mine online. If I recall correctly, there's a couple ebay stores that just sell (unused) menstrual cups. I wanna say Ladycup and Lunette? And I made sure to get it in the summer before I left for college so I could do the whole trial/error/bloodspatter business in my own bathroom.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Of course, I need to remember that I am spoiled and that uni isn't actually necessarily the best learning environment for most people with these sorts of things. :P I do think it is probably worth thinking about what it will be like getting used to it, though -- for me, the sink is right next to the toilet, and the whole thing is tiny and gets flooded by the shower anyway, so I can't really make that big of a mess in any case...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

dwype

Postby dwype » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

well, since it looks like newcomers to this thread didn't first read all 421 pages before posting to make sure things aren't being repeated, i shan't either : )

i'd like to contribute regarding making de-virginating less painful.

I've de-virginated two girls. and we took our time with it. ie over the course of a week, playing a bit every day, and one day it was just all the way in, without there ever being an intense moment of pain. In case that wasn't clear, what i mean is putting my penis in her vagina but without hardly using any force, so that at first, not even the entire head would go in. And no, it's not because i'm small. i'm 8.3 and i've never met a girl who can deepthroat me or bj me without hurting me with her teeth.

Fixed your spelling. You're welcome.
Everybody lies.

crickets

Postby crickets » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

(blink, blink blink)....

Left field? Anyone?

Ugh. Meh tummy is getting all crampy and i'm exhausted. I know what this means, and my little pack of pills knows what this means, but i just want it to START so it can be over, instead of me sitting here feeling icky and waiting.

At least i don't feel like a big old ball of crazy!
Whee!!
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

• Appropriateness
  • Current topic of conversation
  • Correct tone
These are the three demons you must slay if you want to make a what the hell‽ post like the one above the one above.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
  • Appropriateness
  • Current topic of conversation
  • Correct tone
These are the three demons you must slay if you want to make a what the hell‽ post like the one above the one above.

Came back just to say <3 Felstaff!

/me sneaks off again
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

dwype wrote:Skeevy

I'm sorry, the creepy people thread is here.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

hell, there's even a thread for talking about "de-verginating" and things
ImageImageImageImageImage

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

I think that there are two types of girls: those who don't know where their vagina is, and those who don't believe in a hymen. I was the latter. I feel intense sympathy for those of you who are the former, and I want to help (even though many of you don't want help), but I don't know how. (Obviously, some of you both knew your vagina and found your hymen, but I'll guess you're in quite the minority.)

There have been lots of really helpful and interesting how-to-find-your-vagina posts. I'd like to add that you can just scoot up to a closet mirror if you don't have a hand mirror, and you can also just feel around without looking. If you have only a mirror over your sink, you can also put your rear on the edge of the sink, your feet on either side of the front of the sink, and look that way (although this is only recommended for those with a large counter around their sink who like to climb up on top of the counter).

I've never measured a penis, although I've been close friends with many. This is the women thread: the penis was the inappropriate part of the post in question.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:I think that there are two types of girls: those who don't know where their vagina is, and those who don't believe in a hymen.

I'm very curious as to what you mean by the second group, there. For what it's worth I was never really in either camp, my mother was always very up-front on girly anatomy, so I grew up knowing which bits were where and what would happen when I became a woman teenager.

dwype

Postby dwype » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

Enuja wrote: This is the women thread: the penis was the inappropriate part of the post in question.

ty for explaining. also, i only included it to make the point that it was taking it slowly that made there be no pain, rather than my small size. i could have been less graphic, but i didn't feel the need to after reading the many potentially gruesome details found in previous posts in this thread C :
Everybody lies.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

i want to know what part of the conversation he thought he was contributing to
ImageImageImageImageImage

dwype

Postby dwype » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:i want to know what part of the conversation he thought he was contributing to

fun! talking about me rather than to me : )

also:

liza wrote:I'm going to bite the bullet and ask (usually I don't ask things of this nature, as I'm nervous and squeamish, but the mask of the internet emboldens me!).

What can I do to make losing my virginity hurt less? Any less? I'm seriously afraid of that. Luckily I still have a while on that front, and I need it; I haven't even used a tampon yet. :oops:
Everybody lies.

Return to “General”