[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

obituary

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby obituary » Tue May 12, 2009 3:26 am UTC

...probably silly and already been asked, but how does an IUD work? ;-;
hey. i like you. <3.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Tue May 12, 2009 3:45 am UTC

From www.emedicinehealth.com:

Hormonal and copper IUDs work in different ways. With a copper IUD, a small amount of copper is released into the uterus. This type of IUD does not affect ovulation or the menstrual cycle. Copper IUDs prevent sperm from being able to go into the egg by immobilizing the sperm on the way to the fallopian tubes. If an egg does become fertilized, implantation on the wall of the uterus is prevented because copper changes the lining of the uterus.

With hormonal IUDs, a small amount of progestin or a similar hormone is released into the uterus. These hormones thicken cervical mucus and make it difficult for sperm to enter the cervix. Hormonal IUDs also slow down the growth of the uterine lining, making it inhospitable for fertilized eggs.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Tue May 12, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Jessica wrote:
mrbaggins wrote:Well, seeing as it seems like an xkcd theme, you might be interested to know it got dropped in a line in a new show called Castle, starring Nathan Fillion.

Female cop: "You want him? He's yours" (Talking about Fillion)
Male cop: "You kidding? Control freak like you, partnered with something you can't control? No, no, no. This'll be more fun than shark week"
That's a reference to Discovery channel's shark week, not the euphemism for menstruation. But wikipedia says that in the show weeds they actually did use it as the euphemism. Which is cool.

Huh.... totally not the way it hit me... but then again, I'm not exposed to discovery channel at all.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 am UTC

It does make a bit more sense for a (presumably, I haven't watched it) macho male character to find shows about sharks very fun, rather than menstruation.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 pm UTC

Bad cramps today, making me feel miserable and a bit sick. I am not the tiniest bit impressed. I *should* be fine after today -- it's day 2, and it's normally only the first two days that I get cramps. But it's completely ruined any chance of actually accomplishing anything...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

Cramps are the No. 1 reason I wish I could make my menstrual cycle just go away.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Wed May 13, 2009 12:27 am UTC

Wtf, Shark Week. You're a week early and didn't give me any warnings.

Also, I have an awesome new sundress that I shall be posting pics of soon.
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Wed May 13, 2009 12:51 am UTC

Day after IUD insertion, and thankfully the godawful, horrible, terrible cramps are gone. Just normal girlweek cramps that can be conquered by advil.
One concerning thing, though, is that I can't feel the string. My obgyn said to call if I can't feel the string, so I've left a message with her, but I don't think the IUD has actually expelled or anythin...I just have a deep cervix and stubby fingers. I don't think I'll EVER be able to feel the string, as I don't remember a time I've ever been able to touch my own cervix. Anyone know what I can possibly do about this? I'm afraid maybe she'll have to remove the IUD, and put it back or put a new one back with a longer string.

obituary

Postby obituary » Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 am UTC

If you're used-ish to this one would it be bad to take it out? or was the experience just uncomfortable enough that you dont want to repeat it?
hey. i like you. <3.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Wed May 13, 2009 12:56 am UTC

Yeah, I'm not terribly eager to repeat the experience of getting it put in. That hurt quite a bit. Plus, the whole point of the damn thing is that I don't have to worry about it for 10 years.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Wed May 13, 2009 2:24 am UTC

It will probably be okay, you might be able to find the string at different times of the month (or maybe you could have someone else check). I could not really find it for like the first week.
Also, I doubt they would remove it just to give you one with a longer string. They don't want to dilate the cervix when they don't have to.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Wed May 13, 2009 2:58 am UTC

Well, I had the boy check for me, and he couldn't find it either, but I imagine it's pretty hard feeling for something like that when you can't feel it from the other side.

Also, they didn't actually dilate my cervix. That's why they had me come in during Shark Week. so that it was open enough that they didn't have to.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Wed May 13, 2009 4:32 am UTC

I couldn't find mine either for a while, until I realized it was just because the texture made it hard to distinguish from the rest of me.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Wed May 13, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

Arrrrgh, Shark Week! :x I've been chasing this guy for *two years*, and now I finally get a chance, you decide to turn up a week bloody early! Graaaar! *rages*

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed May 13, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

Almost all the way through shark week and no cramps. yay!!!

Has anybody else had a problem with tampons where they feel fine when you are stood up but are agonisingly painful when you sit down. I have to sit on the very edge of my chair to avoid pain and get very funny looks from people. It feels like it's hitting the top of my inside so I think I might just be too small.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed May 13, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Actually, based on your description I'd say you haven't put it in far enough.
Rice Puddin.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Wed May 13, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Yayyy I finally got myself a DivaCup and it is AWESOME! I got it in on my first try with the punch-down fold, but it really hurt when I had to remove it- any pointers?

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed May 13, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

My method for removal is pinch, twist out. The only time it hurts is when I've taken too many tries to get the diva cup in (because either it won't pop or I've just not done it correctly)--so I'm over sensitive already.

Is it a friction hurt or a popping hurt?
Rice Puddin.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Thu May 14, 2009 2:31 am UTC

Magic Smoothie: Make sure you squish it enough before you remove it so the air seal breaks. Otherwise it will most definitely be painful or uncomfortable to remove. I generally hold the bottom of it between my thumb and finger and squish the bottom so the air seal breaks, then pull it out, and kind of fold it a bit so it doesn't pop open on the way out.

I found removing it harder than getting it in, so it's just a matter of practice until you figure out the best way.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Curious

Postby Curious » Thu May 14, 2009 2:43 am UTC

I still find it really awkward to buy sanitary pads in shops. I mean, I don't think I've ever actually seen another woman buy any sanitary pads. I'm telling myself: "Maybe they're all using tampons. Or they're on the pill."

It's like the women's health-care shelf magically gets restocked every so often. When nobody buys anything from it.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 am UTC

I don't really find it awkward--but then I also spend time reading all the new gimmicky stuff in the condom/lubricant section to see what they've come up with now.
Rice Puddin.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Thu May 14, 2009 3:00 am UTC

jmrz wrote:Magic Smoothie: Make sure you squish it enough before you remove it so the air seal breaks. Otherwise it will most definitely be painful or uncomfortable to remove. I generally hold the bottom of it between my thumb and finger and squish the bottom so the air seal breaks, then pull it out, and kind of fold it a bit so it doesn't pop open on the way out.

I found removing it harder than getting it in, so it's just a matter of practice until you figure out the best way.
Ah, that must have been it. Thanks!

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu May 14, 2009 3:16 am UTC

Curious wrote:I still find it really awkward to buy sanitary pads in shops. I mean, I don't think I've ever actually seen another woman buy any sanitary pads. I'm telling myself: "Maybe they're all using tampons. Or they're on the pill."

It's like the women's health-care shelf magically gets restocked every so often. When nobody buys anything from it.

Just a note - unless it's one of the pills that is specifically designed to limit menstruation to 4 times a year or whatever, women on the pill still have monthly periods.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Thu May 14, 2009 3:52 am UTC

I always used to just walk around with them when I bought disposable products. When I need more sponges (like now) I totally ask the dude stocking the section if they have what I want and when it will be in. Many women are not so comfortable with it I think, and try to hide things a little.
I wish they would restock the sponges at my local Coop.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu May 14, 2009 5:45 am UTC

Curious wrote:I still find it really awkward to buy sanitary pads in shops. I mean, I don't think I've ever actually seen another woman buy any sanitary pads. I'm telling myself: "Maybe they're all using tampons. Or they're on the pill."

Have you had an STD check or smear done yet? I used to be embarrassed and awkward too. But now that I've had three different doctors looking 'down there' and sticking stuff up there over the past 4 and a half years, and have picked up a prescription for 72 condoms from pharmacy in a really small town... buying sanitary pads? No problem. It's the least embarrassing thing as far as women's-health issues go! Though, now that you mention it, I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone else buying them either... but then, how much do we really nosey into what others are buying?

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Thu May 14, 2009 6:00 am UTC

I bought a pregnancy test for a friend once- that was awkward/amusing. The supermarket checkout guy wished me 'good luck'. I'm not embarrassed by things like that any more, but I definitely used to be.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Thu May 14, 2009 7:30 am UTC

I've never been uncomfortable about stuff like that. I once went with a friend to buy condoms as she wanted moral support as she was embarrassed at the time. She was in a long-established relationship, and I was a virgin. Go figure :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Thu May 14, 2009 7:36 am UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:I've never been uncomfortable about stuff like that. I once went with a friend to buy condoms as she wanted moral support as she was embarrassed at the time. She was in a long-established relationship, and I was a virgin. Go figure :)

This was me and my friend a few weeks ago. She kept saying that the condoms were for a 'friend' she was meeting later that night even though she had already told me that she was going on a date with her boyfriend of over a year and I knew full well that she was sleeping with him.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

dragonridingsorceress

Postby dragonridingsorceress » Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 am UTC

I have no problem buying pads/tampons. It's just a part of life.

Though I'll always remember the time I went shopping with my cousin. When I picked up a few packets she went so red, and tried to cover them up with other stuff in the trolley.

On another note, pmt/s-ing has hit me worse than normal. I've felt on the brink of bursting into tears all week. :( It usually makes me short-tempered, and I usually end up in a big row (usually with Dad, and almost always over something stupid/insignificant). And yes, the row happened this week, but afterwards I cried and cried...
I don't like it when my body changes the rules on me... :(

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Thu May 14, 2009 10:39 am UTC

I'm kinda just used to being the one to have to get pads or condoms or pregnancy tests or such. It doesn't phase me anymore really. Though buying condoms and phallic vegetables is still a goal of mine, as is a pregnancy test and a coat hanger (or something else just as bad - though we can't get alcohol in grocery stores here). I think that I just got used to it by being a cashier for many years. Hell, I even had to help some girls find the right vegetables for a bachelorette party once. I'm always afraid of buying the wrong pads though.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Thu May 14, 2009 10:43 am UTC

I work as a cashier and I have seen pretty much every type of pad we stock go through my checkout, so I promise you you're not the only one buying them. :D

I used to get really awkward buying pads, and I used to always go through a checkout where a woman was scanning things because I found that less embarrassing. Then I discovered it's really fun to put pads in your shopping if you have a male cashier. There seems to be about a 50/50 chance that they all of a sudden get all nervous looking when they scan them. Also fun is buying condoms at the place you work and going to your supervisor's till. That was pretty funny.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu May 14, 2009 11:47 am UTC

I used to hate buying pads, but now I just don't care. Everyone knows it's a part of life, and I figured I was the one most embarrassed by it and no one else cared. After I figured that out, I didn't care either.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu May 14, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

I've never been embarrassed about buying pads, tampons, condoms, lube, etc. I was fairly embarrassed the first time I bought a pregnancy test, particularly since my cashier (loudly) asked me if I was trying to be pregnant or not pregnant, informed me that she had 4 kids at home and wished me good luck. That was awkward. Generally speaking, though, I figure A) everyone has a body, and they take maintenance. So what? and B) Cashiers see people buy all these things every day. It is not noteworthy.

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Thu May 14, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I've never been embarrassed about buying pads, tampons, condoms, lube, etc. I was fairly embarrassed the first time I bought a pregnancy test, particularly since my cashier (loudly) asked me if I was trying to be pregnant or not pregnant, informed me that she had 4 kids at home and wished me good luck. That was awkward. Generally speaking, though, I figure A) everyone has a body, and they take maintenance. So what? and B) Cashiers see people buy all these things every day. It is not noteworthy.

B.1) Cashiers see what people buy every day and trust me, your daily hygiene and personal needs are not anything but normal.
It is the guy 3 steps ahead of you buying the(in checkout order): pregnancy test, atlas, crayons, lighter fluid, wire coat hanger, 2ply rope, vaseline, air freshener, adult diapers, bleach, box set of knives and knife sharpener, What to Expect when Expecting, Basic Anatomy of the Human Body, 60 gallon trash bags, eggs, brownie mix, rat poisoning, and flowers that they are still thinking about. “Hmm, I wonder how many children he has? He sure was hot! I wish he had noticed me.(insert fantasy)”

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu May 14, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

I've never bought condoms, pads, tampons, or anything really similar.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Thu May 14, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

SDIX wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:I've never been embarrassed about buying pads, tampons, condoms, lube, etc. I was fairly embarrassed the first time I bought a pregnancy test, particularly since my cashier (loudly) asked me if I was trying to be pregnant or not pregnant, informed me that she had 4 kids at home and wished me good luck. That was awkward. Generally speaking, though, I figure A) everyone has a body, and they take maintenance. So what? and B) Cashiers see people buy all these things every day. It is not noteworthy.

B.1) Cashiers see what people buy every day and trust me, your daily hygiene and personal needs are not anything but normal.
It is the guy 3 steps ahead of you buying the(in checkout order): pregnancy test, atlas, crayons, lighter fluid, wire coat hanger, 2ply rope, vaseline, air freshener, adult diapers, bleach, box set of knives and knife sharpener, What to Expect when Expecting, Basic Anatomy of the Human Body, 60 gallon trash bags, eggs, brownie mix, rat poisoning, and flowers that they are still thinking about. “Hmm, I wonder how many children he has? He sure was hot! I wish he had noticed me.(insert fantasy)”

First time I read through that I was like, "but where is the bleach?"
Then I noticed you that one covered too *impressed*
Why does my mind think these things?
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Thu May 14, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Heh, I've bought pads for friends a few times. It did make me a little more nervous/embarrassed than I'd like to admit, but it wasn't too bad.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Thu May 14, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

DJorgensen wrote:First time I read through that I was like, "but where is the bleach?"
Then I noticed you that one covered too *impressed*
Why does my mind think these things?

heh, I can't help you there... I thought of it first :lol:

and now I am remember back to the days I worked at the movie store. Interesting titles and combinations there too :mrgreen:

nightlina
Location: Probably at work... in Australia. Therefore I post while you sleep.

Postby nightlina » Fri May 15, 2009 2:04 am UTC

diotimajsh wrote:Heh, I've bought pads for friends a few times. It did make me a little more nervous/embarrassed than I'd like to admit, but it wasn't too bad.

My most embarrassing experience lately was asking my boyfriend to buy pads for me... I felt horrible >< But he was remarkably cool about it (normally he doesn't even want to admit the existence of Shark Week :P) and went and got me what I needed. <3 him so much.

I used to be a bit embarrassed about buying pads, but not any less embarrassed than I would be about buying tampons. Maybe it's just a quirk of the stores around here, but there's always an enormous wall of pads with heaps and heaps of variety. Whereas the tampon section is quite small. Pretty much every time I go to buy them I see someone else there also looking at them (although normally I'll try and wait until they're gone to actually step forward and get my pack...)

Nowadays i'm mostly cool with getting the packets but can still be a bit funny when I go up to the counter to purchase them. Especially if it's a young guy at the counter :P I'm the same if I've just bought a g-string or something - I'd much rather have a lady at the checkout than a dude.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri May 15, 2009 2:22 am UTC

I've never had trouble buying pads or tampons. I was over the embarrassment by the time I was actually buying my own. It took me a long time to get over the embarrassment of asking my mom to buy them, or putting them on the grocery list that was on the refrigerator, though. I also worked as a cashier, and after a few days I don't think I batted an eye at the things people bought.

Also, I was wandering through my local natural food store the other day and saw that they had a Diva Cup on the shelf! That's the first time I've seen one for sale in an actual store.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Return to “General”