[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby Sungura » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

I only wear one-pieces. I am super conservative and I don't think I'd look good in a two piece anyway. However, I like to swim so much that if the opportunity arises for me to do so, I will, even though like SDIX I am self-conscious in a swimsuit. Swimming is too much fun! And...I've not swam in...gosh...four years. No time/no place to do so.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

oh, I should mention. I am a fish! I swim any chance I get, and living in alabama... that is a LOT! But my dad has a pool, and while it is a good 20-30 minutes drive... I am willing to make it for comfort.

But there is also a public pool I am more comfortable at because just about everyone there is fat too :P

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

I've never actually bothered to try on a bikini, although wouldn't be adverse to it. Would be a bit worried about my boobs popping out though. I've only ever worn one pieces, and really need a new swimsuit. Don't generally go swimming that often, so they don't get a lot of use.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

abitha

Postby abitha » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:19 pm UTC

libellule wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:http://www.oddee.com/item_96674.aspx
Horrendously sexist ads from the 50s and 60s. You have to laugh, ladies, otherwise you'll probably cry.

The fact that nobody else has commented on the idea of putting Lysol in their vaginas makes me wonder if perhaps my personal hygiene is wanting.

Yeah, that one made me choke on my drink - had to look up on wikipedia what Lysol was, which made me choke some more when I realised it was household disinfectant! Apparently it was also advertised as a contraceptive (with absolutely no proper medical evidence, naturally).

Regarding modern adverts - I very rarely watch TV or read magazines etc, which means that when I do, I'm always really surprised by how ludicrously blatant most of the advertising is. I thought e_e's summary of advertisers' methods was absolute genius, very well put. It's not just the adverts though - often the content of any 'popular culture' media (films/TV/magazines) reinforces the same messages, for example by idolising celebrities that embody the 'ideal woman' and demonising those who don't, and by pumping out a never-ending stream of diet/fashion/sex tips that continually reinforce the idea that these are the main things women should care about. (I'm not saying women shouldn't have any interest in diet, fashion or sex, but is there really that much to say about any of them? It's just creating an industry around people's insecurities, and if they don't have those insecurities to start with, they really ought to by the time they finish reading your magazine/watching your TV show!) I don't feel my life is much the worse for missing out on all the gems of wisdom in such media, thankfully.

Plasmic-Turtle - it's pretty much already been said, but if you're gonna be angry about anything, those are pretty worthwhile things to be angry about. You are in good company here!

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:35 pm UTC

I would never be comfortable in a bikini, and I agree with all the complaints about one-pieces. So I wear a bikini top or a sports bra underneath one of those surfer swim shirt things (they have a name, but I can't think of it now), with a pair of swim shorts. Modesty, ease of movement, and protection from sunburn all in one!

SDIX
is afraid of bananas

Postby SDIX » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:I would never be comfortable in a bikini, and I agree with all the complaints about one-pieces. So I wear a bikini top or a sports bra underneath one of those surfer swim shirt things (they have a name, but I can't think of it now), with a pair of swim shorts. Modesty, ease of movement, and protection from sunburn all in one!

rashguard?

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:And for what it's worth, I don't think anybody should wear a bikini.
You're cool, but protip: you're doing it wrong. Agreeing with someone's choices by putting down others' is not the way to go.

I came to the realization that I might feel okay about my body in a bikini this year. I won't wear one because I hate the beach, but it feels pretty good anyways. :)

And I try to call people out on shit they say. It's much easier when it's not my parents. And my sister says I'm too critical, and she's afraid to have a conversation with me. But whatever.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:08 pm UTC

I have a bikini and I wear it sometimes. I like it because it offers the most support for my breasts, it covers up to about my belly button and has a boy short cut. I'm quite comfortable in it--but I think most bikinis out there are really not well designed--so finding one that fits and suits you that you're willing to be seen in isn't an easy business.

I also like one pieces--I ought to get one at some point. Preferably one of the lovely vintage looking ones that (I think) Picture_Sarah showed us ages ago. So pretty.
Rice Puddin.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

I don't wear bikinis because my bro friends will think that is so lame.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:23 pm UTC

Moo - definitely not the only one, that's how we did it as kids in our one-pieces. Looking back, it was definitely because it was way easier for my mom to tell us to just move the suit over than to have to wiggle us back into our soaking wet suits.
Of course, that was when we even walked up to the bathrooms at the beach; as a little kid, my friends were all swimmers and were proponents of the "fish pee in the ocean, why shouldn't we?" method.

And when I was working at the pool as a swim instructor, back in a one piece after years of bikini wearing, I only pulled it completely down and off once. Much easier to just pull it to the side, especially when your boss is a competitive swimmer and therefore a fan of competition-sized suits: i.e., you wear the smallest size you can that will still manage to more or less cover everything. Much wiggling and adjusting necessary, especially in the summers when the suits don't fully dry from the day before.

And unless I'm wearing a speedo-style racing suit, appropriately sized (i.e., on the snug side), I'm in a bikini. Most supportive, and as sophy said, the padded inserts keep my nipples from making themselves known. Which they do, especially if I'm in the ocean anytime before, oh, late August. Plus, you can buy tops and bottoms separately, which is good. Since I wear an XL on top and a M on bottom.

Even in bikinis, I'm with _jess: ocean water is cold.

pemcat

Postby pemcat » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

I really like my tankini.

Also, it has a skirt bit on the bottom part, which I purchased so the top part of my legs would not be on display, and has had the unexpected side effect of meaning I don't have to go to the toilet every twenty minutes when swimming.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

Talking of sport uniforms, this reminds me of the time I was arguing about the designs of the uniforms of Olympic Beach Volleyball players. My argument went "presumably they just have small uniforms to prevent restriction of movement".

Of course, it was then pointed out that that doesn't explain the differences in the genders' uniforms. I was directed to the specific regulations. It's section 24. I had no idea.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

I wear bikinis because I find them comfortable, really. The padding doesn't really hurt, though, just because it means I'm never thinking about my nipples.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

I've sort of fluctuated between bikinis and tankinis, depending on my body image at the time. This year I've got a bikini, with a just-right amount of padding. It's rather nice and I am surprisingly fond of it, as usually I detest buying swimwear more than just about anything. I haven't worn a one-piece in years, though I can't really think of a particular reason why not.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

I've never been a huge fan of tankinis -- I've found they always manage to reveal exactly the least flattering amount of stomach possible, no matter what. I also find sometimes that the way one pieces cling to me makes me more self conscious than just wearing a bikini.

I used to be a bit self conscious about how blindingly pale I am (and of course my stomach is always going to be one of the worst areas), but I've pretty much gotten over that. I am just a very pale person, and it's best that I accept this.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

I wear bikinis but only the ones with the shorts bottoms because I don't like my tummy, but I like my bum and the top of my legs even less. I feel like I should probably go swimsuit shopping online and find something that means I'm not just settling for the lesser of two evils.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Yeah! Rashguards! Thanks SDIX.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

I usually wear one-pieces, but the suit I got last summer got so tight that I had trouble standing up straight by winter. I'll probably get a two-piece this year.
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

I haven't swam in years because I'm afraid to put on a bathing suit. I love swimming.
Not that this is new...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

I usually wear surfer girl type bikinis or a bikini top with denim shorts, hotpants or board shorts. I don't really like one piece swimming costumes as they make me feel a bit restricted. Also they remind me a lot of school swimming lessons...boo. But lately I've seen some lovely vintage looking ones which intrigue me.
i dare you to take me on...

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

I've only ever worn bikinis, and I don't think I've ever actually considered a one piece. I like the feeling of sun and water directly on my skin too much, and, where possible, I'll go without the top half. But then again I've gained enough weight to completely fit within the "normal" range so it's not as though I get horrible people looking at me and muttering about how I shouldn't wear one. Gods, I don't think I can muster up anger right now, just despair.

Re: peeing in the water: my mother has frequently told me that if I were to pee while the water was at least at the height of the opening of the urethra, I'd contract an infection. Is there any truth to that?

Eugh, I'm so exhausted- I traipsed forlornly through the city for hours yesterday, and came home to an inbox full of awful news; now even the sweet Lush soap I bought to cheer myself up isn't helping. It does smell delightful though- one of porridge and molasses, the other of chai. I did search for the sugar scrub some of you were in rhapsodies about, but it isn't due to be sold here for a couple of months. I was wondering if any of you had tried the ocean salt variety? It looks similar in purpose, I think. And I noticed that they're introducing a dark version of Angels On Bare Skin- marketed towards young, dark, and oily skins. Angels was the first cleanser I bought, and it was pretty damn fantastic, so I switched over to Fresh Farmacy - which, incidentally, smells much better in the UK. The stores over there smell much more strongly, too - which has lasted me since January (I seem to have lost ~one sixth of the 100g block) and is working as well as ever.

More Etsy things: I quite like these earrings(some of the seller's other products are pretty cute) and this collection of pea-pod jewelry.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:12 am UTC

luna: definitely not in seawater.

Not sure about especially tepid swamps. Clear flowing water shouldn't be too bad.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 am UTC

spoilered for raging, downer post
Spoiler:
so i have this best friend, she hangs out with these guys. this group is lead by this one boy who is a lazy, emotional, passive-agressive person. he also treats woman absolutely horribly, and she alows it no matter how often i tell her she shouldn't. This guy's life goal is to have a photo of all his female friends in the nude. they went to the pool the other day and he un-did her bathingsuit top. I keep telling her that this is unaceptable and that she shouldn't let him do that, but she's like "oh well, i don't really care" because she is extreamly comfortable with her body, which is great. she doesn't seem to get that if he can do it to her, then he'll do similar things to someone else, to the point of where something is not ok with someone. not to mantion that this guy has a girlfriend who treats absolutely horribly, he only dates her so he feels better about not getting anyone else, because she for some odd reason absolutely adores him no matter how often he dumps her and how awful he treats her. He blatantly checks out other women while in her presence, even talks about them in front of her. he doesn't let her in on conversations, and now he's started making out with other girls, and i know for a fact he's tried to sleep with other girls last time they were dating. and i want to punch him next time i see him, because he hangs out with people who don't care, don't notice, or don't wanna start trouble. UGH!
ImageImageImageImageImage

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:22 am UTC

I like bikinis, they are more comfortable and give my boobs more support. I wear a bikini plus boardies on the beach/splashing about, or a one pice swimsuit and my wetsuit for proper sea swimming (and yes, I pee in my wetsuit. It's warmer and I'm told it attracts the fishies :? ).
Slightly on topic- We went on the first spear fishing trip of the summer this evening, I caught a pollack, and saw some big bass which were too fast for me. I also got charged at by a ginormous spider crab :shock:
My friend saw a 3 foot dogfish, but I missed it :( . I did see a wrasse the size of my thigh (and FYI, my thighs aint small :lol: ).

Update on the camping plan. He did declare his undying love and loyalty, but he was drunk and I had just handed him a BBQ roasted beef and horseradish sandwich. General closeness, but I think that's as far as it's going to go. *sigh*.

Cait, that guy sounds like a total tosser. I don't have any advice that doesn't involve a crotch punch.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:34 am UTC

Luna: not in seawater, not in a salt-water pool, not in a regular chlorinated pool, not in lakewater, not in brackish canal water. In my experience.
I also used to work in a pool, teaching swimming, and for all the times I heard "Coach, I just peed" and "Coach, we're swimming in pee water" and "Coach, Jimmy just peed" — which was a lot, since we started independent lessons at ~3 y.o., a lot of times before the kids were fully out of diapers — I never heard about anyone getting an infection.
If you're swimming in water that's able to give you infections, peeing in it is probably safer than say, going in it with any kind of cut at all. As urine is sterile and should flush out the urethra, if anything. You're probably safer peeing in tepid, standing, mucky water than you are doing anything else.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:36 am UTC

The last time swimsuits came up, I said that I like one-pieces because when I swim my preferred activity is swimming laps, and (Speedo type) one-pieces are positively superb for the purpose. I also said that I hadn't been swimming lately because I stopped shaving my leg hair, and my upper thigh inside hair is pretty darn dark. I'm glad to report that I have been swimming since I said that, and I wasn't embarrassed. I was so proud of myself. :D

eternal luna, I can see two arguments about infection and urinating while in water: 1) opening the muscular sphincters makes it possible for a parasite to swim up your urethra and 2) the stream of urine going one way -> out! of your urethra would make the lodging of bacteria or other infectious agents much less likely. I've not been able to find any warnings to avoid urinating while in bodies of water in order to avoid infection, so I certainly wouldn't worry about it. It's certainly something I've done, and been told to do, and I've never heard any warnings about it. Maybe if you urinate in icky water, it wouldn't be a bad idea to urinate after you got out, as well, but I honestly wouldn't want my skin in water that I wouldn't feel safe urinating in. Edited to add: bigglesworth, in the one documented medical case, the urinator's urethra was entirely out of the water, so the extremely rare danger from this fish is not prevented by keeping your urethra out of the water while urinating.

suffer-cait, my sympathies for a genuinely rage-worthy situation.
Last edited by Enuja on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 am UTC

Unless it's in the Amazon River.

Trigger warning Candiru Fish. They're on Wikipedia.

aging.child

Postby aging.child » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:14 am UTC

Our 7th grade bio teacher had us watch a movie about parasites, and I remember those fish. Looked rather painful.

We have lake water up here that's pretty nasty during some parts of the year, and I've never heard of any infections. I've heard about white bathing suits turning colors, funky smells, and needing to bathe after swimming, but no infections. So you should be good.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. --Douglas Adams

libellule

Postby libellule » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:20 am UTC

crowey wrote:Update on the camping plan. He did declare his undying love and loyalty, but he was drunk and I had just handed him a BBQ roasted beef and horseradish sandwich. General closeness, but I think that's as far as it's going to go. *sigh*.

In vino veritas and all that. I confess to giggling and thrilling vicariously through Crowey and her friend during this saga. It sounds quite promising to me, and if not, it's very bittersweet with the sweetness probably enduring after any bitterness fades.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:29 am UTC

Luna - I've been using Ocean Salt for my face for a while now, and it's really good. I wash my face with it while I'm in the shower, and only use it a couple of times a week, as I don't have very oily skin, but I think it works really well.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:23 am UTC

I have a Speedo plain black suit that's wonderfully basic and all-purpose that I use for swimming laps at the pool - something I haven't done in too long.

I bought quite a few different suits when we went on honeymoon three and a half years ago that I still use. My favourite is the brown one piece for larger girls so it has a modest leg height, bra support and a flattering gathering of material over the belly with pretty beads (brown suits me well). I have a white halter neck one piece that looks good with my navy board shorts with blue trim that I wore snorkelling etc but it's a bit see-through, but it's kinda hot when I am a bit slimmer than this. I have a black tankini (and I hear ya cassi on the belly showingness, I looked and looked until I found one that comes down low enough) that's nice and all purpose too and ok for tanning; and a bikini top I can wear with those bottoms purely for tanning, which I only wear around family or in private. I also have like three sarongs and a gorgeous flimsy see-throughy beach caftan.

I don't use them nearly enough though.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 am UTC

I had a bikini that covered up all of my chest area and kept me supported and in. Unfortunately it's too small and now I get a big red ring at the top of my belly. I've got a 'bigger' one that is just two triangles and a few pieces of string. I hate it. I feel really self concious in it and when I went swimming everytime i went on a waterslide it flew up over my face.
Even though I'm quite small whenever I put a one piece on it pulls down on shoulders and makes me feel like I should be hunched over.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:I keep telling her that this is unaceptable and that she shouldn't let him do that, but she's like "oh well, i don't really care" because she is extreamly comfortable with her body, which is great. she doesn't seem to get that if he can do it to her, then he'll do similar things to someone else, to the point of where something is not ok with someone.

I hate to point this out, since the guy is clearly a complete swine, but - if she's ok with it, you shouldn't be complaining. Good for her, she doesn't mind. It's like blaming women who have sex with men because it makes might make some men think it's ok to rape someone. :|

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:21 am UTC

No, I don't think it is at all. I think it's more like blaming customers at a restaurant who are ok with a waiter taking a chip from their plate when they bring it to the table, because if they don't complain he'll do it to people who may mind.

Removing an item of clothing without someone's permission in public != having consentual sex.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am UTC

Moo wrote:No, I don't think it is at all. I think it's more like blaming customers at a restaurant who are ok with a waiter taking a chip from their plate when they bring it to the table, because if they don't complain he'll do it to people who may mind.

Removing an item of clothing without someone's permission in public != having consentual sex.

Forgive me, I assumed her permission was implied (as Cait said she was ok with it...)

You're completely right, of course.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:35 am UTC

i believe the way she discribed it to me was, he undid her top, and then she said something along the lines of, "if you guys are going to be like that.." and i think she left it off. and yeah, good for her that she can do that, i mean that's one of the reasons i like her so much, cause she is so comfortable with who she is. but, she didn't give permission for him to do it before hand.
Spoiler:
i guess in comparison to sex it'd be like, a girl waking up to find her boyfriend going at it with her, and the girl being like "oh, ok."

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:13 am UTC

If he thinks that taking her top off is ok and she lets him, he might see what other things he can get away with.
Faye Whitaker wrote:His first thought would be "BJORN WANT HOT PEASANT GIRL"and his second thought would be "AUGH PEASANT GIRL ANALLY VIOLATING BJORN WITH BJORN'S OWN BATTLEAXE"

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:53 am UTC

exactly my point. with her and/or with other girls. i know the girl he made out with who wasn't his GF, didn't really want to do it, feels horrible about betraying her BF, (even though he's pretty abusive too) but just didn't know how to say no.

Kyberely

Postby Kyberely » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 pm UTC

You should set the woman thread avengers on him. Is it too late to join?

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

In unrelated news, my Moom arrived today, so I will probably have fun with that later tonight. I am quite excited, I think. And hoping my leg hair is actually long enough, because I have a very bad sense of measurement when talking about my leg hair, really...

Also, I was wondering how many bras most of you ladies have? It has occurred to me that perhaps I have too many (I think about 10?), but then I realised I don't actually know what the average is at all, so maybe I do not!

Return to “General”