[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crickets

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby crickets » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

blue_eyedspacemonkey wrote:Cheers for the suggestion, Goatboy. I've just brought a pair af these: http://www.underground-england.co.uk/bball.html
(second pair down)
So hopefully they'll do the trick :)

Nice! I had a pair like that once. But i'm lazy and the lacing got to me. I was going to reccommend the pair of TUK purple leopard print boots, but those are very cool!
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

Thank you! I love love love the shoes in the second link you posted. You have great style :)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

crickets

Postby crickets » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:56 pm UTC

Heh, i actually have those shoes in the much more practical style of: http://www.pleaserusa.com/ProductDetail.asp?div=&dpt=&ctg=&STYLE_CD=RETRO-03&PROD_CD=RET03%2FB%2FSAT

The shorter, more solid heel makes for nicer walking.

I am such a shoe person it's not even funny. Anyhow, i think i'll go... over here... now... and stop shoe-spamming.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

Glad I could be helpful! So rarely I have something helpful to add to this thread, I'm glad I stopped by this afternoon.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:41 am UTC

I love shoes!!! I wish I could afford nice ones which fit... :(

Stupid shoes rarely come in me sizes... :(

But I want those mary janes you posted marilyn. I want them now. *steals them through the internet*
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:08 am UTC

I went shopping! Five hours and $370AU(ish) later, and I have SO MANY THINGS! I will post them up when I get home and have a proper camera, but I ended up with:
- hat
- two pairs of socks
- squishy gel things for my shoes
- pair of shoes (see picture)
- handbag (totally gorgeous)
- two long sleeve tops
- black skinny jeans
- purple coat
- two scarves (buy one get one free, I ended up with two the same)
- skirt
- vest

I think I did pretty well! There were so many sales on.

These are the shoes, they were $50AU reduced from $149.95AU, so awesome and they fit so well.

Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:30 am UTC

Oooo! nice shoe!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:55 am UTC

I found this after googling "menstrual chocolate" to see if there was actually such a product, and thought it appropriate to the thread.

Menstrual Sonnet To Chocolate

O chocolate, so tolerant of me!

Do not betray me on the fifteenth day.

For that is when my moods will swing freely,

And I may curse the things men think and say!

I do prefer a dark piece now and then.

Shall I unveil my feminine mystique?

So dark it can obscure the dark within,

And offer up the privacy I seek.

O chocolate, do not be scarce this week!

It is day twenty one and I am scared-

For all who in my private items sneak

or even speak around me unprepared.

O chocolate suppress my monthly stress.

Or else those that I love may like me less...
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:28 am UTC

jmrz wrote:Shoe
Cute.

My uterus feels funny :? I stopped taking my contraceptive pill because I stupidly forgot to renew my script, and I think it's having trouble adjusting. I'd really like some chocolate right about now, but I'm confused by all the conflicting accounts of its effects. Also, menstrual chocolate? Google revealed nothing about this.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:46 am UTC

They sell these "woman's health" chocolate bars at a local supermarket, flavored with rosewater. I can't remember the name of the company or I'd link. They're okay. :p

And hee! Menstrual chocolate!
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

crickets

Postby crickets » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

My roommate came home with PMS chocolate from the organic grocery store a few weeks ago.

That's really all i can remember. But it does exist! i've seen it!!

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

Shark Week this month started yesterday, and I am sorely pissed off. I was still taking the hormone pills, and I was planning this month to skip the sugar pills and go two months without Shark Week. I feel murderous, and the lower-back cramps are not helping. Fuck my menstrual cycle, and fuck the migraines that come with it every infinitely-damned month.

On an unrelated note, my dad just told this: On the night he was driving me to the hospital because I had a torsed ovary, he fell asleep at the wheel, crossed the midline, and only woke up because I started screaming in agony again. I just wanted to share that, because I'm kind of unnerved now.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

<rant> Okay what is the deal. Seriously. You give me on and off cramps for almost a week, and then on top of that you decide to start late by three days. Now I know that doesn't sound like much, but three extra days of cramps = no fun. ALSO you know I was kinda hoping not to have to worry about dealing with things on the 8-hour flight to England and now it looks like I will have to because even when it screws up it doesn't reset the next and so unless I back up at least five days over the next two shark weeks (which is not likely...possible, not likely) the first few days in England I'll have to deal with you. If you weren't late by three days this month it would have worked out perfect. ARGGGGHHHHHH.</rant>

<hopeful> Maybe one or both of the next two shark weeks will be the random "I'm going to start early by a few days" ones. That would make up for this. </hopeful>
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

I am about 4 days into the first Shark Week since the IUD got put in, and I have to say, it's fucking terrible. Like, probably 60-70% more terrible than it was pre-IUD. Where before I went through about 3 tampons a day, now I go through more like 8. Where before I could use one pad or tampon to last me all night, now I have to get up at least twice to change. I have been exceeding the daily recommended dosage of Advil every day for 3 days trying to kill the cramps. Night before last I was up all night sobbing, they were SO BAD. And my moodiness is seriously, seriously worse than normal, although I don't blame that on the IUD, I blame it on the lack of HBC combined with the physical discomfort.

I am going to give it another few months to see if I can adjust, but I am NOT willing to deal with this every month if this is how it's going to be. It's horrendous.

abitha

Postby abitha » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

Which kind of IUD is it? Copper or progesterone?

*sympathy*

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

My sympathy to everyone with period troubles.

Speaking of which, does anyone ever get cramps and back pain when you're stressed out? Shark Week is regular and therefore a week and a half away but I have been under a ton of stress. This includes mental problems such as paranoia and occasional sensory hallucinations connected with migraines. This has been a problem for several months now and it's driving me more insane, especially considering that I can't always tell if the pain is real or not. Does anyone have something similar, or advice even if you don't?

On the plus side I found some really cute white sandals to go with my really cute white dress. AND I found out that coral is a colour that works really well for me! :D
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

abitha wrote:Which kind of IUD is it? Copper or progesterone?

*sympathy*

It's the copper one. I knew that increase in cramps and heaviness and duration of periods were side effects before I got it, but my periods have been generally pretty manageable, so I didn't figure a slight increase would be too bad. This increase is not so slight, though. Heaviness and cramps have about doubled. We shall see on duration.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:10 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I have been exceeding the daily recommended dosage of Advil every day for 3 days trying to kill the cramps.

Woman thread, does anyone on here use Naprogesic for pain relief during Shark Week? I don't know if it's only available in Australia, but it has rescued me on more than one occasion. I used to get hideous cramps every month and codeine-type pain relievers were pretty useless. It's supposed to be designed specifically for period pain, which probably has something to do with that.
(Trying not to sound like a spammer here and failing miserably, so you'll just have to take my post count as evidence that I'm not a bot working for a drug company of some sort. :P But seriously, it's the only reason I didn't miss three days of high school each month due to being curled up in the foetal position in bed.)
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:14 am UTC

I used it before I started taking the pill because, as you said, I'd be curled up a few days each time. It helped, but I found myself having to take a higher dosage than recommended, and I'd still have to miss at least one day. Also, I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned period-pain specific medication. :?
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:32 am UTC

It looks to be the same thing as Aleve, a naproxen sodium drug instead of an ibuprofen drug. Still both NSAIDs, though.
Aleve here is marketed to older people, for joint/arthritis pain. I was always an ibuprofen fan, especially because my mom could bring home extra-strength stuff from the hospital. I still used to take a double dose, I used to have horrific cramps.
They've basically disappeared though, haven't had them that bad since high school - four years.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:08 am UTC

I have heard Aleve works wonders for it. However I have best of luck with Pamprin. I tend to react harshly to medications, to the point of ending up sicker/feeling much worse after taking them. I usually can only stomach half recommended dose. Midol doesn't touch anything, neither does Tylenol or Advil. Aleve I tend to react poorly to...so that leaves Pamprin. Who knows why, it has some of the same stuff in it. I don't question, I just use it haha.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:29 am UTC

The pain relieving drug in Midol is acetaminophen, which I've found to be completely useless. Ibuprofen (like Advil) has always worked for me in the past. I'm not sure what to do now that Advil doesn't seem to be working. I guess I can try Aleve. Also, calcium and magnesium pills have actually worked for me in the past, since they work as muscle relaxants.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:03 am UTC

I've never wanted Shark Week to arrive more than I do now. Please, please, please arrive sometime soon, please, please, please
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:36 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:I've never wanted Shark Week to arrive more than I do now. Please, please, please arrive sometime soon, please, please, please
Me too. It STILL has yet to start. But I'm having cramps and stuff like it has been going on for the past few days...which is should have started a few days ago. So this is really really weird. It needs to start already!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:28 am UTC

Okay, woman thread, I am BLOODY PISSED OFF right now. I just got a pamphlet stuck under my door that makes me want to spit nails. Into someone's skull.

Note that I live in a condo. I expect, maybe unreasonably, that part of the deal here is that I don't get door-to-door anything. No one is supposed to knock on my door and say anything other than "I'm a neighbour and ...". I'm making too much noise, or they want to know if I agree/disagree with a recent council decision, whatever.

I do NOT want to find a pamphlet under my door labeled "What a Woman Should Know about Birth Control". And yes, it's propaganda for a pro-life, anti-any-sort-of-birth-control-besides-abstinence organisation. The back page gives the address http://www.omsoul.com/ , "One More Soul".

Fuck. That. Shit. I don't actually care WHAT they believe, though I suspect I would be a bit less pissed off if they were pushing, say, education for minority women or summat. I mostly care that there is someone who is either 1) letting these people into our building, or 2) lives here and is pushing this shit on us.

Can I take this to my strata council and ask for some sort of fine for people who distribute literature OF ANY SORT (barring building-relevant things, like council meeting minutes) within the building? Or am I a ranting idiot with no leg to stand on?

*Spit, hiss, scratch, and otherwise impersonate my friend Catherine in a very very foul mood.*

Thanks much, my forum friends. It feels good to be able to rant at someone who just might have some advice.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:58 am UTC

I'd definitely say something to the condo association, especially if you can find the association bylaws (do condos have bylaws? Or is that only for co-ops?). Either way, can't hurt to say something, because either someone was letting people into the building to slip pamphlets under doors or was doing the slipping themselves. Not cool, either way.

FWIW, I'd be pissed off too. That sort of preachy, psuedoscience bullshit makes me so angry. Especially because I know of people who actually believe it.
I'm having trouble articulating why it makes me so angry, I keep wanting to do the typed equivalent of an angry, incoherent sputter and it's just not working. So I will join you, I think, in the spitting, hissing and scratching.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:10 am UTC

You're right, it's mostly the contents of the missive that are making me angry. I'd be much less motivated to do anything about it if, as I said, it were for a charity for minority education or something else (to me) inoffensive.

Though, actually, I was quite annoyed when I found a political advertisement hanging from my doorknob one day. It didn't seem to matter much that it was for the party I intended to vote for. I was still annoyed. Then, on the day of elections (provincial), the candidate herself showed up at my door. SOMEONE knew that we had to be there for alarm testing, and the hours when it would happen. That someone was probably a tenant or owner in our own damn building, and that person let her in to do her canvassing. Partly because I was so annoyed at her harassment (I'd also been getting up to ten calls a week from her campaign office), I ended up not voting in that election. I've voted in every single election I was eligible for, for pretty much the last 20 years. Thanks, bloody Jenn McGinn, for changing that pattern.

/yes, I'm probably slightly unreasonable
//still...
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:17 am UTC

This is going to be my first cycle through without a pill in a year. Lets see how it goes! I should be sharking innnnn.... 1 to 1.5 weeks.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:01 am UTC

poxic wrote:Note that I live in a condo. I expect, maybe unreasonably, that part of the deal here is that I don't get door-to-door anything. No one is supposed to knock on my door and say anything other than "I'm a neighbour and ...". I'm making too much noise, or they want to know if I agree/disagree with a recent council decision, whatever.
*puts on a wig*
I can't say anything about Canadian laws, but I've had some luck in the past by posting a simple "No Solicitations" sign (under that it also said "No Proselytizing" and "No Politics".) They aren't legally enforcible, but a lot of people either don't know that or are at least decent enough to respect the request. (As I recall, it actually cut down a higher percentage of the religious solicitation than the political.)

My condolences, though. (At least it wasn't one of those pamphlets covered with pictures of aborted fetuses. Around here, they actually have the nerve to give those out on campus by hand.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:32 am UTC

smw543 wrote:*puts on a wig*
um...excuse me?
ImageImageImageImageImage

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:40 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
um...excuse me?
A disguise. (It was my first time posting in this thread, so I was a bit nervous. Thought I'd open with a joke. No offense intended.)
Spoiler:
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:47 am UTC

offense intended and the offense taken are not related
if you lurked here more you may notice that those who consider themselves male are more excepted when they just chime in un-anounced
hair length/style has nothing to do with gender

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:04 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:hair length/style has nothing to do with gender
Although you'd never know that from reading xkcd. Woo stick figures.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:09 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:offense intended and the offense taken are not related
if you lurked here more you may notice that those who consider themselves male are more excepted when they just chime in un-anounced
hair length/style has nothing to do with gender
I admit it was stupid, and so was saying "no offense." It would have been more appropriate to simply apologize, which I'll do now. I'm sorry.
(And thank you for explaining why it was stupid. I try to be progressive in my thinking of these things, and it makes it easier to improve when my mistakes are spelled out. (Though I'm not quite so backward as to think all girls should have long hair, but that's enough excuse making.))
Spoiler:

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:13 am UTC

smw543 wrote:(Though I'm not quite so backward as to think all girls should have long hair or boys should have short hair)
fix'd

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:29 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
smw543 wrote:(Though I'm not quite so backward as to think all girls should have long hair or boys should have short hair)
fix'd
You're not gonna make this easy, huh? :D (For the record, my hair is shoulder-length. The avatar is an old picture.)
Spoiler:

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:30 am UTC

nope

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:44 am UTC

It is now that we pretend you were talking about one of these, and we move on.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 am UTC

Poxic, that site is making me furious.

They have a page on birth control.

The best option before marriage is abstinence. The obvious benefits include greater self-respect...
Yes, everyone who has sex before marriage becomes burdened down with self-loathing. Fuck you.

And then, the good 'ol
The condom does not adequately stop the transmission of the AIDS virus. CM Rowland, PhD, editor of Rubber Chemistry and Technology, tells us that electron micrographs (pictures taken with a very powerful microscope) reveal voids (holes) in the condom that are up to 50 times bigger than the HIV particle
They cite a letter to the Washington Post for that. Wow. Not any of the information the CDC has on hand that demonstrates that condoms are pretty damn good at stopping HIV, no, of course not! Those studies are part of the "culture of death!" Ugh.

Kinda reminds me of what they're teaching my 14yo brother at his all-boys Catholic School: namely, that BC is baaaad because it's bad for the woman! Don't let your girlfriend take the pill because she'll get sick from it!

Like, you can't trust (or even just let) women to make medical decisions for themselves; you must protect them from the dangers of hormonal BC! It's gross.

Complain. Do it. These are outright lies.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:47 am UTC

smw543 wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:
um...excuse me?
A disguise. (It was my first time posting in this thread, so I was a bit nervous. Thought I'd open with a joke. No offense intended.)
I lol'd. See? This was me 30 seconds ago: :lol:
teehee
It's quite alright to post in this thread. Few pages ago SecondTalon had some how-to-put-on-a-bra-without-stretching-it-if-you-can't-contort-your-arms-around-backwards advice that worked quite well. No need to be nervous in here!

Edit: heh, that word filter is still up.

Return to “General”