[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Plasmic-Turtle

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

Twas Negative! Which is positive!
I knew it would be deep down, but the $8 to be absolutely sure was worth it to keep those years of my life that stressing was eating away at...
I texted Mum anyways, apparently it's totally normal and quite common, just when the endometrius doesn't build up enough (she said that as far as she was aware this doesn't mean the protection from the pill was at all compromised, either) to cause a withdrawal bleed.
Hasn't happened to me before in 3 and a half years of being on the same pill though, and anything that's not normal for ME tends to freak me out, my body's mostly pretty predictable.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

Now that I'm off birth control, I'm having a period less than a week after one finished. And the blood was BLACK yesterday and the day before. I don't care where blood is coming from; it should be RED. Black blood is just scary.

In any case, I think I'm happier now that I'm off birth control. I'm feeling less like "I hate menstruation and I'm going to kill everything" and more like "Oh, hey, I'm bleeding. Okay." Maybe I won't have to go back on the pills, even a different prescription. *waves at freakwood*

*hugs for Raeluna* Reproductive systems can be such bitches.

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:Bathtub or shower sex and sex on red/black/dark towels.

Not relevant for immediate use, and I don't know about IUDs and endometriosis, but you can get IUDs without having a kid first. I know that Mirena's information booklet and website say "recommended for women who have had a child", but there are lots of doctors who will put IUDs in women who've never been pregnant. My sister has one, and she loves it, and I know there are women who've never been pregnant who have IUDs who post in this thread. You will have to shop around for a doctor who will do it, but you'll be shopping around for a doctor who puts in IUDs all of the time, and therefore is skilled and experienced with the procedure. It's not like you're shopping around for someone to do something that's medically a bad idea, you're shopping around for someone capable of doing a procedure that has slightly increased risk.

Yes, but a doctor like that would probably be expensive. And after looking up information on it, I think it would almost be dangerous to try it. It doesn't give the big kick-in-the-ass dosage I was hoping (like Provera or Lupron) and in that case, if it does what the pill or Nuvaring did, I'd be in massive trouble. Both of those made me lose so much blood so quickly that ultimately I needed a transfusion to recover. Mirena can't just be manually pulled out. I'd have to wait or go to the emergency room and rack up more medical bills. :/
thicknavyrain wrote:Marry me. Now.

"So, why are you a fruit bat?"
"I dunno, healthier I guess."
"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:Bathtub or shower sex and sex on red/black/dark towels.

And those tuxedo condoms! (for those not googling, they're black, it'd conceal girlweek mess. And their name is hilarious.)

Freakwood, have you only tried the one prescription? The first pill I ever tried made me feel like shit, but the one I'm on now is side-effect free. Not that you should if you don't want to, but sometimes you just have bad luck.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Well, an IUD can be manually tugged out, it is just not recommended and is painful (at the time, I hear it is better almost immediately).

Still, I have no idea why you would bleed so long... I mean, how does your uterus hold over a month's worth of bleeding? Yours must be mightier than mine.

When I want my bleeding to stop I speed it up by using my yoga ball and do circles with my hips. It helps open up the pelvic girdle and relax the muscles round there. I also use it for cramps. And for bouncing on. You know, just for fun.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

freakwood

Postby freakwood » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Delalyra wrote:Freakwood, have you only tried the one prescription? The first pill I ever tried made me feel like shit, but the one I'm on now is side-effect free. Not that you should if you don't want to, but sometimes you just have bad luck.

I've tried more than one, though the last one was definitely the worst. Oh, I thought it was side-effect free... for two years. I just happened to slowly turn into a physical and emotional wreck. During the last few months I assumed I had a brain tumor, but didn't really care. Now I'm four months off, my "brain tumor" seems to have shrunk considerably and I feel a lot more like myself again. And myself says fake hormones are bad. I guess a big part, at least of the emotional shit, was caused by that "anti-androgenic effect" they have the nerve to advertise. I need my androgens. It's good stuff. It makes me think reasonably and be calm and emotionally stable. Of course a different kind of pill or other hormone thingy *might* work, but I really really really don't feel like trying. Hey, did you know you the structure of your saliva changes during ovulation? You can check it out under a microscope. That's my kind of birth control!

Edit: Oh, and Isotope: you might want to add more hormone-regulating foods to your diet after getting off BCP. I've had a lot of ginger, parsley, raspberry (esp. tea from the leaves), shiitake mushrooms and some other things that I forget. They're all said to help regulating the female cycle and overall well-being. Seems like it worked pretty well for me :)
I've never been impressed by peer pressure, but here I suddenly feel like I should have a signature, too.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Not to make this into a uterine-chunk one-upping, but yesterday I had a chunk drop that would've beaten up Cytoplasm's chunk up and taken its lunch money, too. About as long, and maybe five times thicker. I couldn't help myself, I picked it up with some toilet paper and examined it closer. Ugh, it was so large and...and tissue-y and uterus-liney, it was almost surreal. I guess the uterus really stocks up on nutritional goodies come fetus time.

eternal luna wrote:*more hugs*

Podbay, do you mind me asking why you chose the pill form rather than surgical? I just want to file things away for the possibility that I might need one.

I'm wondering myself, as I don't actually have that much comparative information. I guess the choice is between whether you'd rather have someone digging around in your innards or not. The surgical option would've been shorter - I could've gotten it over in one day. Whereas the effects of the pill option process lasted at least 30 hours, and you do it in stages, and you undergo the whole vomiting-diarrhea-bleeding-cramps bit, so ideally you would want to have a good support system of people around you. On the other hand - no one digging around in your reproductive system and, I think, less risk of damaging something for future reproduction. I don't think either option is unequivocally better or worse, it all depends on your preferences and what your practical situation is.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Freakwood: ah, okay. As long as it suits you, that's the important part. :)
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:23 am UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:In any case, I think I'm happier now that I'm off birth control. I'm feeling less like "I hate menstruation and I'm going to kill everything" and more like "Oh, hey, I'm bleeding. Okay."

It was the total opposite with me... well, I don't know if it had any effect on my PMS, as that stopped before I went on BC anyways, but it truly increased my menstrual happiness. They became lighter and shorter, and most of all, I could choose when to have them... I couldn't imagine anything worse than bleeding while on a 5-day hiking trip in the mountains with 6 men with no toilets (let alone sanitary disposal units!) or showers or anythings. This is why I like birth control. My sis finds it kills her sex drive though, and I do wonder what effect it has on mine, or on my arousal and the like :?

Raeluna - I have nothing to offer but hugs and good vibes sent your way sorry! That sounds so darn awful to deal with.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:51 am UTC

The first few months of BC weren't so bad, because it was the first time in my entire life I'd ever had two consistent, regular periods in a row. The nasty part was how heavy the bleeding was. I'd never seen or even heard of uterine chunks before, and all of a sudden I could feel these things sliding down my vagina all day long. It was more than a little inconvenient, especially at school, because I can only keep so many pairs of clean pants in my locker. The funny thing is, now that I'm off BC, the period I'm having right now is the lightest I've had in months.

I need to check with my doctor to see if I have to ever go back on. BC was prescribed right after I had ovarian torsion, and there was something about it helping with ovarian cysts, and I'm not sure if anyone is sure that I even have ovarian cysts. The torsion was taken care of with emergency surgery, and it's never come back. But about the cysts: If I have them, surely there are other ways to treat them, right? I don't want to take BC forever. It's not that I want kids; I don't. It's just that I hate the varied and creative ways in which my body has screwed with me since I started the prescription.

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:Well, an IUD can be manually tugged out, it is just not recommended and is painful (at the time, I hear it is better almost immediately).

Still, I have no idea why you would bleed so long... I mean, how does your uterus hold over a month's worth of bleeding? Yours must be mightier than mine.

When I want my bleeding to stop I speed it up by using my yoga ball and do circles with my hips. It helps open up the pelvic girdle and relax the muscles round there. I also use it for cramps. And for bouncing on. You know, just for fun.

Well the problem is that its not just my uterus. For anyone not familiar with endometriosis, bits of the uterine lining escape...somehow...and attach themselves OUTSIDE on other things. I, for example, have it scattered around my right ovary and on my periabdominal wall (lining?) And that's what keeps bleeding and then making everything else bleed. It's like slow internal bleeding, basically. D: Its irritating as all hell. And painful. And it gets in the way of sexyfun times. And...wearing normal clothes. =.=

"Well yeah, but 'I vant to suck your melons' just doesn't have the same ring to it."

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:05 am UTC

my first shark week without BC is interesting. The emotional rollercoaster was way stronger, and there was no warning spotting, just SURPRISE! BLOOD! And even though I'm leaking now, I'm still emotionally screwed up, whereas on BC it would go away when the drainage started. On the up side, it seems to be finishing up more quickly. I think I like without BC better.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Just saw this article in Time, about a new online campaign by Tampax. Where a 16 y.o. guy wakes up to find his penis "lost" and replaced by "girl parts".
Campaign is here.

I am not alone in thinking this is kind of fucked up and wrong and disturbing, right? I mean, aside from the sheer anatomy clusterfuck — namely, losing a penis would not magically transform the crotch into a function vagina + uterus.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:46 am UTC

Marketing for feminine hygiene products always present a particular challenge since riding the cotton pony is nobody's favorite topic of conversation. (Unless you count some feminist academics.)
Turns out I am a feminist academic. Well, I don't have a cotton pony but a natural rubber one (Keeper, not some fun time toy). Maybe that is it, if we were talking about products that people actually liked maybe more people would enjoy the conversation.

I did really like the dutch ad linked in the article though... I would totally think about trying that if I was not against introducing unnecessary things into my little ecosystem. Maybe it is an outside cream? (hopefully)
Last edited by sophyturtle on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:48 am UTC

His "cramps" bothered me a little but what really bothered me was how he magically started liking "girly" things like baking and chickflicks. That is Not how it works. Lets not even start on the gender confusion.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

L.B.

Postby L.B. » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:53 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:
Marketing for feminine hygiene products always present a particular challenge since riding the cotton pony is nobody's favorite topic of conversation. (Unless you count some feminist academics.)
Turns out I am a feminist academic. Well, I don't have a cotton pony but a natural rubber one (Keeper, not some fun time toy). Maybe that is it, if we were talking about products that people actually liked maybe more people would enjoy the conversation.

I did really like the dutch ad linked in the article though... I would totally think about trying that if I was not against introducing unnecessary things into my little ecosystem. Maybe it is an outside cream? (hopefully)

Having looked it up, it appears to be a wash, or a cleaning cloth. The site sounds all well and good, but it did kind of give me an eyebrow raise.

In case anyone else is curious: http://www.lactacydfemina.co.uk/a.htm

Osha

Postby Osha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:54 am UTC

semicharmed wrote:Just saw this article in Time, about a new online campaign by Tampax. Where a 16 y.o. guy wakes up to find his penis "lost" and replaced by "girl parts".
Campaign is here.

I am not alone in thinking this is kind of fucked up and wrong and disturbing, right? I mean, aside from the sheer anatomy clusterfuck — namely, losing a penis would not magically transform the crotch into a function vagina + uterus.
You're not alone. In fact two of my favorite blogs covered this.
I probably don't have to explain why this is... problematic. But I will anyway! :D
Basically the whole thing just acts as if trans people and trans issues didn't exist. In the world of the ad Zach is the only man in the universe with a vagina. He talks about how he can't be a proper boyfriend anymore, his new vagina makes him like stereotypically 'girly' stuff where he didn't before, and cry at sappy movies, and randomly exclaim how men are pigs, etc. etc.
And at the end, everything's pretty much ok! Zach, with no testes and a fully functional uterus (which would on earth make him look just like a woman in a year or two, he's still young!), will not go on to be discriminated against and marginalized by society in this bizarro world.* The hardest thing in his life was dealing with his first sharkweek.
*my sentences are so pretty

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:57 am UTC

I don't really like that the only way we can look at something or an experience and give it value (or make it worth talking about/thinking about/marketing about) is by having a guy do it. And it does not really make me feel more comfortable with their products. What the hell does you average 16 year old know about shark week and the good things during it? True, I have not gone to look at it (I was raised by people who believed in the boycott method of getting ride of thing) so I don't know if it is entertaining.
I really do like the idea of things from the perspective of my lady bits. I wonder what part would be what part of the brain...

Edit: I was distracted by my own stuff to not notice all the ways this is kinda crap. There is just, gah, and people thought/think this is a good idea?

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 am UTC

Raeluna ~ er, sorry? That must suck something awful. Is there a standard treatment? How do you maintain your iron levels (and sanity)? I'm sorry (again).

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:21 am UTC

sophyturtle wrote:I don't really like that the only way we can look at something or an experience and give it value (or make it worth talking about/thinking about/marketing about) is by having a guy do it.

Well to be fair, this is a new commercial. It's another way of looking at things. Most female hygiene (woo spelled it right) commercials are definitely female-oriented and presented/narrated by (usually) women. So it's not the only way to do something, they just tried to do something differently.

I agree completely with Osha, by the way. I don't expect commercials to be in good taste, but that's because of conditioning. Maybe it's even funny, I don't know. Sometimes I laugh at racist or discriminatory jokes, I won't pretend not to. But there's a difference. Having a racist joke told between friends that you know aren't racist and a company taking an official stand are two very different things.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:53 am UTC

My mother has always thought I was weird for not feeling the urge to be secretive about my period--for not clutching tampons/pads covertly and dashing to the ladies room.

btw--So glad I've got a diva cup now. :D

So, marketing for tampons and pads always confused me. Half of them were about how small and discrete the product was, the other half were about how awful periods were. Now, I will admit I hate cramps, but I tell lots of people about them (and about my diva cup). Male and female--sometimes they make funny faces, but you know what? It's good for them, get used to it, menstruation is here to stay. :P
Rice Puddin.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:59 am UTC

Seriously. Half of the world's population lives with this for at least half of their lifespan, and it's supposed to be a bloody secret? (No pun inte ... ah screwit, pun fully intended.)

The only thing I can think of that even comes close from the male side would be wet dreams. And sorry hon, but those wash out just fine, and last I heard they don't hurt. :roll:
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:35 am UTC

freakwood wrote:I just happened to slowly turn into a physical and emotional wreck. During the last few months I assumed I had a brain tumor, but didn't really care.
Well, this sounds alarmingly familiar. I've been on Marvelon BC for 12 years now for PCOS, and have been suffering depression for 1-2 years, and feel just like you describe these days, down to thinking maybe I should get a CT scan. I've got an appointment with my GP tomorrow morning to discuss anti-depressants on my therapist's recommendation; maybe I'll ask her about whether the BC can be having an effect.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:59 am UTC

I'm just gonna make an aside here... a whiny little self pitying thing... you don't have to read if you don't wanna (its not related to this discussion at all... Just wanna complain to someone..)

Spoiler:
Yesterday (I s'pose that would be sunday to me- I haven't slept yet, so I guess it would be) I went to the beach and fell asleep in the sun... Face down. I burned the back of me.... (with the exception of what the bathing suit covered). Now, I'm all itchy from the remains of the burn... which you'd think would fade by now, but no, nope it hasnt. Soooo itchy. I'm also hormonal and cranky and tired and mad at my friend Catherine. He sat on my gummi worms, so now they have pure cat hair flavor. mmm.. Yeech.

So now I'm itchy, uncomfortable, PMSing to the nth degree, with cat flavored worms... AND, so I decided to post a ukulele video on youtube... And nothing I play is sounding right so no further update on that for me.. And my world of warcraft group kinda sucked-- I got called in to help and my toon got insulted-- I mean c'mon I'm a new 80 there on that toon, doesn't mean that people should be little bitchy epeen strokers.. ya know? And, yeah, if I say I know things, because I did them on my main, Guess what, i'm not lying.

I think I should probably go do sleep... I'm just not feeling it at the moment, so I should lay on the couch.. except, that same cat that sat on my gummis peed on my couch. Yeah, I have to own a cat with a friggin urinary problem at that. And its hot and humid in here and my chest hurts. (no I'm not having a heart attack, its swollen PMS boobs. Like, ow, I can't put on my bra hurt.) Watch, I'll go to bed and the hubby will roll over and land on me. With his elbow. I just know it.

I really wish the song would work out... I havent posted in quite a while... and I know I"ve improved-- its just as soon as the light goes on, my talent goes poofty.

ok, attempting to head to bed 'for realz'... Tomorrow's sure to be a better day.

Ok, this concludes pity party, you may now go about your regularly scheduled business.... I'm goin' to bed.

freakwood

Postby freakwood » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Moo wrote:Well, this sounds alarmingly familiar. I've been on Marvelon BC for 12 years now for PCOS, and have been suffering depression for 1-2 years, and feel just like you describe these days, down to thinking maybe I should get a CT scan. I've got an appointment with my GP tomorrow morning to discuss anti-depressants on my therapist's recommendation; maybe I'll ask her about whether the BC can be having an effect.

There's an abundance of similar stories, and an abundance of stories about clueless GPs and gyns. Read this, for example. That forum is what made me realize the link between all the problems I got during the last few years and the BCP, and there's a lot of useful advice on how to recover. It's for the one I was on, but you might feel right at home there (although I'd recommend a browser that lets you change the color scheme...).

Talking about Shark Week to random people: +1. I especially feel the need to tell everyone how strange and cool it is that it always starts on the 27th, and that you can do BC with a microscope instead of popping pills. How could anyone not be interested in that? :D

Divacup: I got a Mooncup now, which is basically the same. I love the idea, though it still takes me inconveniently long to get it in and out, and I do feel it (though it doesn't feel bad... like, not at all... *cough*). I've already improved from "this is impossible" to 15 minutes to just a few, but it'd be nice to get under 1 minute.
I've never been impressed by peer pressure, but here I suddenly feel like I should have a signature, too.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:09 am UTC

I and mine are generally very open about Shark Week- if someone needs something absorbent, they just ask the room, then try to catch whatever is thrown at them.

Whine: I've been off the pill for a few weeks, and I'm noticing the difference. I've got more muscle, more energy- and more libido. Although I like that I can actually see some vague outline of muscle on my arms, I don't know what to do about this constant state of arousal. Everywhere I go, all day, even while people are speaking directly to me, I keep drifting off into fantasies. Has any one else had this? Does it balance out after a while?
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 am UTC

freakwood wrote:an abundance of stories about clueless GPs and gyns.
Hmm, you've made me remember about my genius gyn in SA who was the first to properly diagnose me and sound like he knows a damn shit what he's talking about; I think I might give him a call later. Thanks for the link, will peruse later.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

freakwood

Postby freakwood » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:41 am UTC

eternal luna wrote:[...] I don't know what to do about this constant state of arousal. Everywhere I go, all day, even while people are speaking directly to me, I keep drifting off into fantasies. Has any one else had this? Does it balance out after a while?

Kind of. I was still quite used to having a "healthy appetite" from before I got so miserable, but during the last few months I had some days when I was *desperately* horny and not able to do anything reasonable. (Well, it got me a very nice FWB-ish arrangement with someone awesome I'd already thought I'd screwed it up with, so I'm not complaining...) It was worst a bit more than 2 months after I got off the pill, so yeah, I guess you can expect it to balance out somewhat. :)

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 am UTC

i have been off the pill for just over two months myself. i'm happier, for sure, i've also lost 9 lbs. but most of all i've been horny all damn week.and...it's kind of nice. i don't think i have it anywhere near as bad as luna. glad to know it balances out, any idea how long it takes? i'd like to be past it before i hit europe because...that could go very badly.
ImageImageImageImageImage

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:32 pm UTC

Took about 2 months for me, being off, before I wasn't constantly aware of how much I wanted sex.
And I think it was more due to the fact that the ring definitely made my libido take a nosedive, so wanting sex that intensely was very noticable.

zohar wrote:
sophyturtle wrote:I don't really like that the only way we can look at something or an experience and give it value (or make it worth talking about/thinking about/marketing about) is by having a guy do it. And it does not really make me feel more comfortable with their products.

Well to be fair, this is a new commercial. It's another way of looking at things. Most female hygiene (woo spelled it right) commercials are definitely female-oriented and presented/narrated by (usually) women. So it's not the only way to do something, they just tried to do something differently.

That's because female hygiene products are used by women; this marketing campaign makes as much sense to me as (for example), an ad campaign for a prostate cancer treatment centered around a woman who woke up one morning to discover she had lost her vagina and a penis had taken its place. And now has prostate cancer.
Like sophy said, the whole site makes it seem like the only way to make talking openly & honestly about someone's first period is to make that someone a guy. And "openly & honestly" in this case is kind of a joke, because just from reading the blog posts (couldn't bring myself to play the videos), I don't think the word "uterus" is actually said.
I'm not the biggest fan of tampon, etc., commercials in general, just because as Rinsaikeru pointed out, it's either about how easy the product is to hide or about how god-awful periods are. And yeah, a new perspective would probably make me dislike the commercials less. But this is the wrong one — "look girls, periods are nothing to be concerned about, Zack is OKAY."
Also, the article in Time used some of the worst euphemisms for period that I've ever heard. Or read, in this case. "Riding the cotton pony" was awful. And sounds really uncomfortable.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

I'm very disappointed in Belinda Luscombe. Right, because "feminist academics" are freaks for wanting to talk normally about something normal that happens normally to 51% of the population most normal months. And the only reason why women don't talk normally about this normal thing is because it makes men feel icky, who by the way have been systematically instituting this "periods are icky and women are icky" attitude into worldwide culture for millennia. Excuse us freaks for wanting to change a few attitudes here.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Raeluna

Postby Raeluna » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:I and mine are generally very open about Shark Week- if someone needs something absorbent, they just ask the room, then try to catch whatever is thrown at them.

Whine: I've been off the pill for a few weeks, and I'm noticing the difference. I've got more muscle, more energy- and more libido. Although I like that I can actually see some vague outline of muscle on my arms, I don't know what to do about this constant state of arousal. Everywhere I go, all day, even while people are speaking directly to me, I keep drifting off into fantasies. Has any one else had this? Does it balance out after a while?

That happened to me. It took several (like 4+) months for it to balance out, but it did eventually go away.

...I kind of miss that constant feeling. :lol:

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Hey woman-thread ladies!

I found somewhere in the UK that does hair donation, and I thought I'd share it [sadly this only seems to work for me in internet explorer]. It comes cancer research approved! I'm quite a way away from having long enough hair, but I'm really happy to have found somewhere I can donate too. Yay!

Edit: Ooop! My hair is long enough! I shall be waiting until probably October anyway, because then I have a better chance of making a fund-raiser out of it :D

namaize

Postby namaize » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

Oooh, they take bleached/colored hair! And I thought I couldn't donate again for another few years... Though they're in the UK and I'm in the US, so I don't know if customs would take issue with that....

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

Locks of Love? They take colored and permed hair, though not bleached hair.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

namaize wrote:Oooh, they take bleached/colored hair! And I thought I couldn't donate again for another few years... Though they're in the UK and I'm in the US, so I don't know if customs would take issue with that....

On their Website:
Yes, we accept hair from anyone although we can only help children in the UK. Please just add UK to the end of the address.
So if bleaching is the problem, looks like they will take your hair anyway :D

namaize

Postby namaize » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

Yeah, I've got a couple bleached/dyed (red/pinkish) streaks. I've donated to Locks of Love and Pantene Beautiful Lengths before (I tend to cut off hair in foot-long chunks so it works well) but that was before I put the streaks in. I was thinking of getting a serious haircut sometime this year; if my hair can help some kids instead of being trashed then all the better. :D

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 pm UTC

I'm wondering if anyone here's seen the new First Response commercial? I've only seen it on Hulu and can't find a video. Basically its all about how theres an important step "from womanhood into motherhood" and how they want to help you make the "most important decision of your life" etc...
It really struck me as a women are only here to have babies type thing. And do you stop being a woman when you're pregnant?That's a bit weird to me. From a brief googling I discovered that First Response has a history of bad, antifemenist, and just plain weird commercials. Which is sad because when I took my friend to planned parenthood to get a pregnancy test the woman at the counter seemed to think that its a fairly good brand. I personally like the commercial from I can't remember the company touting their pregnancy test as "the most sophisticated piece of technology you will ever pee on" :D
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

eternal luna wrote:Whine: I've been off the pill for a few weeks, and I'm noticing the difference. I've got more muscle, more energy- and more libido.

Seriously? More muscle, energy AND libido? So I've been going to the gym and hopelessly failing at having arm muscle definition all this time because of the damn pill? I wouldn't be overly opposed to a crazy libido either... thing is, I'm not very fond of condoms. They really don't feel as nice to me at all. When are they going to come up with some truly brilliant form of contraception? Cause heck, that'd truly be a recipe for hell: roaring libido, accompanied by feeling more attractive and confident from my new-found arm muscles, accompanied by the energy to act upon my roaring libido and self-confidence, accompanied by dislike of condoms. Had better not get drunk for a good length of time after going off the pill, if I ever decide to. Maybe I'll actually look into it though, I could try the feather-lite condoms? So the general consensus is that everyone's coming-off-pill experiences have been positive? Why IS everyone here coming off the pill anyways? I feel a little pathetic that I'm considering it in the hopes of arm muscle, rather than for any better reason...

Virtual_Aardvark I haven't seen that commercial, but if it's anything like what you describe I'd probably wanna throw things at the TV (or the advert makers). I guess it could be worse though... if they're advertising to those who are planning on getting pregnant then yes, having a child is probably one of the biggest decisions of their lives (cause shit, you're stuck with them forever they don't magically disappear once they turn 18 and they are a HUGE financial and emotional and stressy investment). Though I don't see how the pregnancy test involves that decision at all - you're pregnant, or you're not. And the womanhood to motherhood things sounds pretty freaking odd.
Hehe I like the sounds of that second ad too :) Oh, I totally should've peed on the old electron microprobe before they carted it off though, that would've been more sophisticated than a pregnancy test I reckon, and that piece of machinery has caused me so much pain (and data, but the pain wins).

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

I would consider coming off the pill for the increase in libido and the possibility of losing weight... Which means I should not consider coming off it for a while as we've had bad experiences with condoms and I am only just back into a healthy weight.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Return to “General”