[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

Being on the pill caused me to lose weight, because I was nauseous all the time. I'm afraid I shall gain it back, but oh well if I do.

I came off HBC (which I had been on for a grand total of two months) about a month ago simply because it was making me suicidally insane!
Yeah, it does that to me. I was trying new ones sometimes when the new ones come out, because I have PMDD and I would like to not be insane... unfortunately it just makes everything worse. No libido. Barely any ability to orgasm. Massive Anxiety! Fuck. That. Shit.

Plasmic_Turtle: there's always the IUD? If all you're worried about is babies.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:42 am UTC

Meaux-- I was on the pill many many years ago as a teen-- I came off it because it made me go nuts as well. I have no desire to go and do that again.

eternal luna

Postby eternal luna » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Woo, my parents have managed to give me a birthday present that I actually like: a box of LUSH stuff.
Lush.JPG
Lush.JPG (43.21 KiB) Viewed 4838 times

It contains: King of the Mods hair gel, Vanishing Cream moisturiser, Flying Fox temple balm, Happy Hippy body gel, Aromacreme deodorant, The Comforter bubble bar, Godiva shampoo bar, some other unidentifiable shampoo bar, The Godmother soap, Honey I Washed The Kids soap, and Up The Wooden Hill emotibomb. I don't like many of the smells but, hey, they got it halfway right. It's going to take me an age to finish all of this.

I don't know what do, now; I don't think I can handle being super-horny for another two months, but I *really* like feeling stronger and sexier.
Alexius:-Охуели? Нахуя дохуя хуйний нахуярили? Расхуяривай нахуй!
-Хули? Нихуя! Нехуй расхуяривать! Нахуячено нехуёво! Похуярили!
Gojoe: We are all inferior to you luna.

Cashew

Postby Cashew » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:53 am UTC

Grats Luna! That's an impressive gift :)

As an aside, why do remote controls only dissapear when you wanna watch tv? Same thing with my heating pad when I have cramps.. (All I wanna do is curl up on the couch, watch some tube and knit... but I can't find the remote.:( )

Oh well, off to find some motrins, and the heating pad, I might just grab the little laptop and watch some hulu in bed. :)

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

bit of a post and run: saw this, thought of the woman thread....

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Dammit Crowey I *almost* spent far too much time on there again! Luckily I found a cake I NEED to show FaiD so I wrenched myself away.

Cute uteri though ^_^
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Cute uteri though ^_^

I kind of want to sig this.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:39 am UTC

Happy Birthday, Luna :)

And that sleepy picture (from Facerity) was amazing.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:22 am UTC

So the Woman Thread portraits are progressing, but, er, my scanner isn't. Some repair may be required.

I just stumbled upon this link (ah, weekends and blogtrawling) and thought the woman thread might like to weigh in. It's an online survey designed to determine what young Christian men consider to be "modest" or "immodest", what they consider "tempting" or "a stumbling block".
I went to a religious (not Christian, Jewish) girls' high school, and we heard a great deal about how modesty in female dress is about encouraging people to respond to you as a human being, rather than as a body. Which may be a valid argument. But underlying that, my classmates and I (we liked debating, thankfully) always heard the implicit assumptions that
a) this sort of mindset implies that any male looking at you, any at all, will be unable to think coherently or respond to you as a human being if they find your body attractive
b) it's a woman's responsibility to ensure that men do the right thing, and not a man's responsibility. (An excerpted comment from one response to a question on this survey: "Sort of a disgusting thought, but men, if not walking in the Spirit everday, can be wolves.")
c) it kinda reeks of that most charming of practices, victim-blaming (let's not get too far into that one, as it seems to summon the trolls)
d) for some reason, men never need to regulate their dress to ensure that women don't get "distracted" by them; why is that exactly?
Thankfully, we had teachers who were more than capable of enjoying a good debate. (Our class kind of earned a reputation over the years.)
Here's the site.
Thoughts on the topic? And thoughts that go beyond the "OMGWTF? Really? This is the world we're in now?" reaction which is the first reaction I had to: what do you think about when you think about the ideas of women and "modesty"? What do you think about when you choose the clothes you want to wear and how people will respond to you based on your clothing? I've never had this conversation with anyone outside of those classes in highschool and my mother, and I'm really curious about other people's points of view on the subject.

EDIT: And I'm trying to stay really nonpartisan in the way I'm asking the question, but the "OMGWTF" may be somewhat indicative of how I feel about all this.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:10 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:(we liked debating, thankfully)
As the wise men say, "Ask two Jews a question, and you get three opinions." :wink:

Backspaced a mile-long rambling post; I'll just point out the one thing I found most bothersome. It's one thing to say that a girl's body isn't very important to you, and another thing entirely to say that you have less respect for a girl because she dresses in a way that is comfortable/makes her feel better about herself/etc. (and just so happens to appeal to those of us who don't think girls have cooties.) More than 75% said they had less respect for "immodest" girls...

There's this whole infuriating concept of "disparaging the body," as philosophy types like to put it, that these sacks of meat are just a necessary inconvenience for the sake of harboring the mind. When religion enters into it, there is an added element of specific body parts being elevated from necessary inconvenience to necessary evil.

I also found it rather annoying how they reinforced the whole "woman as temptress, man as tempted" mentality. Things considered to be distracting were referred to as "stumbling blocks," as if a girl's body exists not just as her own, but as a source of burden; that she's obligated to hide it lest I get distracted. And as you alluded to, I'm sure there are plenty of questions they could have asked regarding what girls found to be immodest, but they ignored that route. (I'm tempted to think I'm overreacting, but then I keep looking back to that respect statistic. Either way, I'll stop before this post becomes as long as the first attempt.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:29 pm UTC

I don't think it should all be the woman's responsibility how it seems to put things (guys should be able to control themselves), but I'll just use an example of my brother. He finds it very uncomfortable to, say, tutor a female student who comes in with really low tops showing a lot of cleavage. It's not exactly a proper thing to wear for that purpose, I think. I think women should be smart about what they wear and where they wear it, because in my experience (i.e. sometimes this coming up in conversations with guys around) it seems to be more that they are uncomfortable around it more than anything. I would feel uncomfortable if a guy came for tutoring from me shirtless. Sure maybe that isn't technically inappropriate just as perhaps a lower top isn't for women, but I do think being aware of what situations you are in and dressing accordingly is just common sense.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Philosophically, I'm a nudist. If we were all used to seeing each other, we wouldn't find it particularly titillating. I also don't approve of "modesty" by any definition. If you did something good, I think you should be proud of it. If you feel sexy, I think you should express it to people around you. So I'm starting at such a different place from that website and GraphiteGirl's jewish high school that, in some ways, what I say is completely irrelevant.

That said, wearing appropriate clothing is a way of buying in to society, a way of signaling to other people that you are following societies' rules. And, because I want to function in society, I wear clothes, and even try to wear appropriate clothes. If we were nudists, we'd have other ways of signaling "I am not insane, and I am working cooperatively in society."

Unequal expectations of modesty for men and women is sexist and very annoying to me, quite apart from my appreciation of nudity and immodesty. I know people who argue "men are just more visually stimulated than women, so women simply must be more modest in order to society to work" but, frankly, that's bullshit. We're stimulated by what we learn to be stimulated by, and every sexually aggressive person I've ever met is perfectly capable of imagining what I look like naked no matter the modesty of my clothing. And you don't have to be naked to have penis in vagina sex, either: women wears a skirt, moves underwear to the side, man opens fly in pants and underwear, viola, sex in very "modest" clothing without taking any of it off. "Temptation" is in your mind, not in your clothes. Clothes can be used to signal what's going on in your mind, but that's all, and those signals are culturally constructed. For example, garter belts used to be modest and un-sexy, now they are sexy.

I've read "Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America" by John D'Emilio and Estelle B. Freedman, and it's interesting how the cultural views of female sexuality have changed. Women were seen as temptresses, and men needed to have the self-control to remain pure and regulate sexuality in society. Then, the cultural attitudes shifted, and women were seen as inherently pure, and their purity was supposed to act as control on male need. I don't have the book with me at the moment, and I don't clearly remember when this shift happened, but I think it was in the early 1800s. As you all know, we still have that expectation that men are more inherently more sexually driven than women. (And sometimes I buy it, looking at the number of partners that gay men versus lesbians usually have, but gays and lesbians are still a part of our culture which views men as more sexually aggressive, so it's really hard to say what's cultural and what's not.)

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

alll that^^^^
btw, where are you? cause i've been hoping to get a nudist room-mate in the future
ImageImageImageImageImage

abitha

Postby abitha » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

The views on that site annoy me a little, but they don't surprise me at all. I go to the kind of church where those kind of views are pretty commonplace (although not necessarily preached from the front on a sunday morning), and for 18 months i was in a relationship with a guy who held such ideals very strongly (and had similar views on sex outside marriage in general - needless to say, our relationship was pretty non-physical ;) ).

I dress reasonably conservatively for a woman in western culture anyway, but he felt that anything that might show the remotest hint of cleavage when i bent right over was 'obviously' too low, and he found it very difficult to understand that this might not be 'obvious' to everyone else. We never had rows about it as such, but he would be genuinely and obviously upset if i wore things that didn't meet these standards, basically because he was extremely jealous on behalf of my future husband, whether that ended up being him or not. I threw out a whole load of clothes, and wore things that were much more 'modest', but eventually i ended up feeling really ugly and frumpy, and also unhappy that he was trying to control me like that.

We once had a conversation that went roughly as follows:
Him: So what about if you went to a strongly muslim country, would you dress like this there?
Me: No, i believe it's important to respect the culture of the places you go, and also i know i'd get harrassed if i dressed like a westerner, so I'd wear long sleeves and a long skirt, and i might sometimes cover my head.
Him: What, so you'd change the way you dress to go to a foreign country, but not for me?
Me: R, do you really want me to start comparing you to an oppressive muslim nation...?

(NB. I don't have anything against muslims, but i do believe that certain aspects of islam are oppressive to women, not least the rules about clothing)

I think he, like many of the respondants to the survey, had some difficulty in understanding that dress codes (i.e. what is considered modest/immodest) are an inherently cultural thing, rather than something universal and set in stone. There has been huge variation throughout history, and there remains huge variation across the globe, about the parts of the human anatomy considered erotic, and thus appropriate styles of clothing for different situations (for both men and women). I find the study interesting as a sociological snapshot of what a particular subgroup of (American) society thinks about female dress codes in 2009, but it means little more than that.

And i agree with what others have said regarding it not being women's job to regulate men's sexuality, the fact that this culture encourages victim-blaming etc - but that's largely been covered already so i won't go over the same ground again.

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

I think I would be a lot less irritated at that survey if I didn't make the mistake of reading the text comments. If you read the overview of the survey and all, I don't mind it as much, cuz its purported attitude is "This isn't to tell you what you should be doing, this is to tell you how we react to what you are doing" which... I dunno. Is a milder degree of annoying. But if you read the comments so many of the guys who took it are very clearly having the attitude of "No, this is entirely about you, if you dress in a way that tempts me then you are the sinner, you horrible slut."

Also comments like "And a girl should wear what her husband/father wishes." just make me want to bash someone's head in.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

natraj wrote:Also comments like "And a girl should wear what her husband/father wishes." just make me want to bash someone's head in.
Yes. My father was...not a great guy let's just say. When I got my hair cut short (above shoulders) there was...hell to pay. I don't think I've had my hair past shoulders since then actually though, haha. (Well, now I'm trying to grow it out, but because I want to. Just like I cut it short all those years ago because I wanted to.)
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Osha

Postby Osha » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:
natraj wrote:Also comments like "And a girl should wear what her husband/father wishes." just make me want to bash someone's head in.
Yes. My father was...not a great guy let's just say. When I got my hair cut short (above shoulders) there was...hell to pay. I don't think I've had my hair past shoulders since then actually though, haha. (Well, now I'm trying to grow it out, but because I want to. Just like I cut it short all those years ago because I wanted to.)
Heh, we had the opposite problem. My mom threatened to not invite me to her wedding when I refused to cut my hair. She also tried every other trick in the "how to make your kids feel guilty and horrible and a terrible person" book.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

My parents attempted to gently nudge me in the proper directions when it came to styling myself. It uh... really didn't work. I was not allowed piercings or to dye my hair or to wear nail polish, skirts, or really anything that they saw as being something that would prevent me from getting a job to getting looked at funny to (according to them) getting me murdered. And they constantly teased me about having longer hair (although my mother actually kept the hair from the ponytail that I had when I was younger after I got it chopped off because kids kept 'trimming' it in class... ).

All in all I've still learned to really stick to my own thing. I'm nude at home much of the time and have seen a ridiculous number of my friends nude as well (as a photographer it happens, and frankly it is nothing much to get excited about - people generally have skin under their clothes :P ). When I go out, I dress for the occasion - if I am hiking and trudging around I wear things that are comfortable and durable for such a task, while if I am going to a fancy dinner I dress for that too (in either a suit or a dress, gender is a fun thing to play with).
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

Fortunately I haven't encountered anyone condemning me for my dress so far - I used to dress in unflattering boxy clothes anyway, and at present I am in college associating with a bunch of bleeding hearts, feminists, and anarchists. (The one misogynistic individual gets roundly made fun of on a regular basis.)

Should I ever encounter that kind of attitude in the future, though, I've prepared my response. A mildly, yet subtly dismissively stated, "Real men have self-control and take responsibility for their own actions."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:31 am UTC

Enuja wrote:women wears a skirt, moves underwear to the side, man opens fly in pants and underwear, viola, sex in very "modest" clothing without taking any of it off.
I prefer the deeper tones of a cello, but I suppose a viola is easier to carry around. Well, to each his/her own :wink:
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:50 am UTC

I do have some sympathies with the belief in modest dress, but this site seems too controlling for me. I dress modestly because I feel more comfortable that way.

I've been browsing the survey results, and it is apparent that society hasn't come as far as we'd like. There are some real Neanderthals out there.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:45 am UTC

Oooh, totally. I remember a woman commenting on how pretty a top in a shop window was when we walked past, she clearly really liked it... but then she said that her husband doesn't like her to wear tops like that, so she doesn't wear them as he's the only one who's opinion of what she looks like matters.

It's a different situation in that this is what she chooses, but to me has exactly the same undertones - the husband must think it's his right to tell her what she can and can't wear. Erk.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:39 am UTC

I guess it's different, maybe, but that's the kind of thing my nan would say when I went shopping with her. It was less about styles, and more about colours. She wouldn't buy anything in deep purples or reds because she knew my [step]grandad wouldn't like her in them.

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

Interesting survey. And I was soooo ready to jump all over it when I saw the, "Female chest bouncing during running is a stumbling block." Because I run quite frequently, and I wear a really good sports bra, but still ... but most of the text responses were of the, "Yeah, it's a stumbling block, but we men need to figure out how to handle it, because there's not much women can do about it." Which was much better than what I expected.

Reference a few posts up: I dress mostly to please my husband. That being said, if he ever so much as hinted that he wanted to dictate what I wear ... oooh, gonna be a rocky period in our relationship (and he will lose that argument). However, I'm not trying to impress anyone else. I only want to attract him. And sometimes, if I go out without him, I intentionally dress in a potato sack because I'm going out to have fun, not to get hit on. (He always kind of laughs at this ... he doesn't mind if I go out looking decent, it's just annoying to me to get hit on.) Just my nickel.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

I dress up because I like dressing up. It goes hand in hand with the ogling thread in LSR; turning heads is not a bad thing. It makes *me* feel good.

Also: I REFUSE to leave the house in sweats/yoga pants. Not even to get the mail. Hell, sometimes I put on a dress and heels to do the dishes.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

My parents never really cared how I looked. As long I don't leave the house naked, they won't stop me. Though my mom did object to a mohawk, and in retrospect that was a good thing. I dyed my hair a kind of seaweed green(I like seaweed) when I was twelve and royal blue when I was thirteen. This was despite the fact that I was in a very strict French privet school. The teachers, with the exception of the administrator, eventually got used to it, but the students were either disdainful or scared of me; one girl actually begged me to dye my hair a normal colour. The fear was good because considering the students it was better to be left alone.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Magic Smoothie

Postby Magic Smoothie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:Also: I REFUSE to leave the house in sweats/yoga pants. Not even to get the mail. Hell, sometimes I put on a dress and heels to do the dishes.
This. It's pretty rare to find me in anything simple, and I like wearing intense colors, especially eggplant. (Leonine, much?)
The Smoothie has started blogging. OH NO.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

Speaking of wearing things out and looking nice...In the summer I am almost always in skirts. I like them! So, I was in a pretty skirt and nice top and needed rabbit food. I stopped in at the TSC (tractor supply, like a big farm equipment/feed/everything you'd need for any kind of farm animal ever type place...ahhh it is a wonderful store :D ) But I doubt people wear things other than jeans and outdoor work type clothes there. When I was there it was pretty empty except for two guys (staff) and another customer (also male) all looked mid-late 20's, buff and tan farmer type look to them all. I don't think I have ever had three people stare/follow (while pretending not to follow :lol: ) at me like that as I pick up a 50 lb feed bag, sling it over one shoulder, pick up another, sling it over the other shoulder, walk back up to the front of the store to check out, and carried them both out to my car without trouble. One of the staff guys did offer politely when I was at checkout to help and I said "no thanks I got it" he just nodded and said "have a nice day!" It was a fun experience, I bet they don't see that often haha.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

Honestly, I can't give a good answer to the topic.

It bothers me that people of either gender can't just wear what they want without censure; women in particular have it worst though, obviously, since we all make such a big fuss about the female body. At the same time, in our culture particular styles of presentation send particular messages, as others have said, and conforming to propriety has it's advantages.

One of the text responses from that survey said, "Miniskirts make a statement. They offer a promise of a chance to be allowed to see more". And for many people, that is indeed the way they're interpreted, I imagine. Just as wearing sexy lingerie out in public normally connotes "prostitute" (except in rare circumstances). I don't think it should necessarily be this way, but I'm not really sure what's to be done about it. I am glad, however, that Western society is much more open than certain other cultures, even though America's got quite a number of conservative types.

*Rubs forehead irritably* This entire subject makes me feel sick and frustrated, particularly when looking at things like the survey linked above.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Enid

Postby Enid » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Gah. Note to self: Minimizers are a bad, bad idea. Just wanted to get that off my chest, pun totally intended.

As far as the current conversation goes, others have already said what I feel more clearly and intelligently than I could. I'll just add one more to the frustrated and vaguely angry pile.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

diotimajsh wrote:One of the text responses from that survey said, "Miniskirts make a statement. They offer a promise of a chance to be allowed to see more". And for many people, that is indeed the way they're interpreted, I imagine. Just as wearing sexy lingerie out in public normally connotes "prostitute" (except in rare circumstances). I don't think it should necessarily be this way, but I'm not really sure what's to be done about it.
I see a big difference between "that person is wearing clothing I find attractive and I am therefore attracted (or unnattracted, whatever)" and "that person is wearing clothing I find attractive and that is therefore a promise to get to see more". The latter is one of two ways I am reading the text response you quoted - I hope, instead, that what the person means is that it is the offer of a promise of a chance (wtf does that even mean?), in his head, that is enough of an enticement to pose a problem on his values, NOT that there is some kind of promise made whenever a girl wears clothes that he finds attractive. Because that is fucked up.

Smw shares my opinions on this one, and he expressed them pretty well, so I won't rant.
(It is late so if this makes no sense, condense it to "Bllleurgh, gtfo out of my wardrobe choices" or something)
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

crickets

Postby crickets » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:38 pm UTC

Man, my perspective is so totally skewed on this...
I mean, when i was a kid my mom pretty much forced me into clothes that were too big and totally unflattering because she thought i was fat. She still thinks that. I wore sweatpants till i was in junior high because she told me they didn't make jeans that would fit me. Yeah.

Now i wear what i like. Low cut tops are a yes, but tops that are short are a no. High waisted skirts and pants, but skirt /length/ isn't much of an issue. I have a large tummy, but nice enough legs. I have nice boobs too, apparently, and i feel well within my right to flaunt what i like and hide what i don't. The only person who has ever had a problem with that is, in fact, my mom. It's like, because i have a tummy i can't possibly be attractive. *Sigh* She's coming into town in a few weeks too. Please think happy thoughts for me. Please.

When it comes to the whole society at large thing... the people i hang out with are all about dressing sexy and not apologizing for it. The dudes i know are so desensitized to cleavage and bums and the like that it seldom garners a second glance. And if other dudes start showing up and oggling/disrespecting the women i know, they're going to get smacked down. In many, many ways. It's nice! If you want to go to the bar in panties, fishnet thigh-highs and pasties, you can. You won't get groped by any of the regulars, and if someone hassles you, you're free to deal with that in any way you want. Or tell a bouncer and get whoever's being grope-y kicked out. It's sort of the rule...

I ramble!
Love!
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:05 am UTC

*happy thoughts for crickets*

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:11 am UTC

smw543 wrote:I prefer the deeper tones of a cello,

I love you.

This must be very off-topic...hmm..

Also, it's not easy wearing a skirt/dress and playing the cello, generally. I might not have enough practice though. >.>
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:38 am UTC

I must confess that I find myself incapable of viewing shirtless men as anything other than shameless, overtly sexual incubi. If they don't want me to view them as slabs of meat, they should dress more conservatively! Like in uniforms - military is so stern, schoolboy is so nostalgic, and some waiter's uniforms are definitely droolworthy. Or a nicely-cut suit, so I can ogle their asses. Or in kilts - mmm, kilts. And hakama and yukata - oh god yes.

Scratch that - men are always going to be tempting sirens to my depraved mind. They should dress so that I can't make out their bodies at all. I mean, the only other option would be for me to stop being an unrepentant pervert, and that's just unreasonable.

[/hahahahahahaaaa, it would be funnier if I weren't actually an unrepentant pervert. Got to stop objectifying men!]

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:39 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:[Got to stop objectifying men!]

I dunno, have you asked the man thread? This might not be necessary.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:46 am UTC

@doogly: I dunno, I feel obliged. Plus it's a bit awkward when I am incapable of looking at my manfriends in their swimsuits. My respect for them as people meets a dramatic conflict with oh my god I can see their nipples!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:49 am UTC

I learned about why Western men wear trousers, during a gathering with friends last night.

Apparently, Western men used to wear tunics and leggings and whatnot, like much of the rest of the world, until the advent of Beau Brummel. This dandy was the personal pet of a future English king, and so set a daring new style for men. Thing is, Mr. Brummel liked to see men's junk and bums, so his preferred style gave much attention to men's junk and bums.

And for the few hundred years since, Western men have worn kinda uncomfortable, hip-hugging, junk-displaying trousers that defy practicality and, sometimes, circulation to the lower limbs. It's refreshing to think that a man someone got the chance to do to men's fashion what men have done to women's fashion for a long, long time.

[/cheek]
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:56 am UTC

To be fair, his embrace-of-the-male-form (har har) was also a reaction against the foppish style of the time - lots of makeup, powdered wigs, etc.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:45 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:I must confess that I find myself incapable of viewing shirtless men as anything other than shameless, overtly sexual incubi. If they don't want me to view them as slabs of meat, they should dress more conservatively! Like in uniforms - military is so stern, schoolboy is so nostalgic, and some waiter's uniforms are definitely droolworthy. Or a nicely-cut suit, so I can ogle their asses. Or in kilts - mmm, kilts. And hakama and yukata - oh god yes.

Scratch that - men are always going to be tempting sirens to my depraved mind. They should dress so that I can't make out their bodies at all. I mean, the only other option would be for me to stop being an unrepentant pervert, and that's just unreasonable.

[/hahahahahahaaaa, it would be funnier if I weren't actually an unrepentant pervert. Got to stop objectifying men!]
:D I like you. Carry on.
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

Return to “General”