[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Wednesday

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread-The thread that gives (every month)

Postby Wednesday » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Okay, which thrift stores are you going to to find those skirts? I look all the time and can't find *any*

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Savers, seriously. These places creep me the hell out sometimes, but if I just keep my eyes on the skirts and grab everything I like that looks like it MIGHT fit, I find awesome things. For about $7 each

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:14 am UTC

Man. Salvation Army and Goodwill suuuuck compared to Savers. You..might actually be going to the same Savers as me, actually.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:23 am UTC

Ooh, you just reminded me of a skirt I got for vacation this summer. The top part looks quite red, but it's pink:
Spoiler:
skirt.png

I couldn't resist snapping the pic with kitty in it.

It was from the $10 rack outside a sari store in central Vancouver. Makes me happy when I wear it, sparklies and all. :D I picked up a black one at the same time. I think I'll wear them every chance I get next summer...
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Oh dang, skirts are fun.

Good Will Dress:
Spoiler:
dress.JPG
dress.JPG (90.44 KiB) Viewed 4439 times

got it fer, like, nine dollars

My family was just talking about Savers, as in, what are they?
I think we have one in Flagstaff that I went to, and their deal is that they're a thrift store run like a department store or something, but where they get their donations from and why, I really can't say.
I think I saw a kangaroo leather purse there, and everything had that thrift store aura of stickiness.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 am UTC

*drools at all the gorgeous skirts and dresses*. Seriously, there isn't one on the last two pages I wouldn't love to own.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Alder

Postby Alder » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:52 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:COLORS! This skirt makes me want to put on The Gypsy Kings and dance like no one can see me. But only when no one really can.
Spoiler:
newclothesgreen.jpg

newclothesbluegreen.jpg

thecatandi.jpg

I'd really like to sneak up and steal both the turquoise skirt and the shoes.
...but the Atlantic's in the way, so you're probably safe.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

I love peasant skirts! they are really fantastic, and look great :)

Also, parka, seeing that dress has put a song in my head...

I need to get to the thrift store again and check it out.

Oh! Other news, I got my hair cut! It's sooo short now :)
I went with an Aline bob. So, when I get the pictures uploaded you can check out my fantastic haircut :)
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:Yeah, I know I'm wearing the right socks and lacing them correctly, my moms active duty army and showed me how to make them look badass and still fit well. They...just hurt still. Blisters around the ankle and all that.
really late, but in my experience, you are lacing them wrong or they don't fit you right on the ankle. the leather is folding and chaffing, right? you got to get it to not do that, which may or may not be possible.
ImageImageImageImageImage

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

I try to get all of my clothing second hand. Both because I have too much already to justify spending more than $25 on it, and because it lets me feel good or egotistically superior to not be contributing to the massive amount of stuff made.
I also have The Garment District down the street from my home. They have dollar a pound on Fridays, where there is a pile of clothing about a foot deep and covering a space of about 10' x 10'. You have to be willing to sit for a while and sort of scavenge. Also, it might have a tiny moth hole in it, but at the end you take what you want over to the scale and you pay by the pound. I bought a green suit jacket for 88 cents. I love that thing. A tiny bit short in the sleeves, but oh so worth it.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

Fucking awesome!

I hate that it's generally really hard to find clothes which work on me at thrift stores.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

$2.00 skirt! With a gigantic red beaded poppy on the side!
Spoiler:
IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG (115.53 KiB) Viewed 4271 times

IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1777.JPG (140.75 KiB) Viewed 4272 times

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

I want to share this: Adipositivity (NSFW link!), an art project aimed at promoting size acceptance. I think it's pretty damn beautiful.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

I start my new birth control in three days!
I asked my gyno if I would gain weight on it and she became really confusing/confused herself. Hmm..
Well, to summerize it.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

Hair photos posted.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

I almost feel it is mandatory to post a shark-week related post now and then, so I'm just going to say YAY SHARK WEEK! NOOOOOO! MY (thankfully black) PANTS! I'm going to have to review the last post I made on this and see if I gave a stop date so I can... er.. pack accordingly. This time I had NO warning. No weird emotional shifts, no urges to cry my eyes out for any reason... I guess I'm going to have to start paying attention to actual days now.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

I use www.mymonthlycycles.com to keep track. It's cool because it can project (with moderate accuracy) when your next several periods will be, and also when you're ovulating. That's how I know I should be mid-Sharkweek for the wedding. Shit.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Fifi

Postby Fifi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Mine just came, 3 weeks late, with no warning :( Ruined my new undies and I have to wash my pyjamas! Gah.

@Jessica: I love your new haircut! Really suits you :D
If all the village idiots, from all the villages, came together to form their own village, of idiots - in that village, you would be the village idiot

obituary

Postby obituary » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

I just wanted to show you all some of the new shoes I got.. the pics are a bit big.. sorry ): I dunno how to spoiler the attachments.. can I?

The boots I just love and the other ones are my new school shoes. Yay shoes!

excuse my messy desk. haha.
Attachments
meh 039.JPG
meh 039.JPG (75.11 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
meh 038.JPG
meh 038.JPG (79.19 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
hey. i like you. <3.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:07 am UTC

*flails and dies* I am in-freaking-love with ankle boots. I only own one pair and they are very casual (flat, rubber soles and made of canvas) but I'm DYING for some cute little somethings like those.

Thanks for the website, Sarah.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:32 am UTC

You wear those to school? :o
Maybe it's just me, but I wear trainers all day every day.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:46 am UTC

Rendered...speechless...by sexy...ankle boots.

Le sigh. I wish I wasn't so tall so that I could pull off heels and not feel self-conscious about my height.
i dare you to take me on...

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:30 am UTC

I figure I'm taller than most people anyway, so why not add a bit more height?
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 am UTC

ooh the ankle boots are lovely.
I like wearing heels, even though I'm 6foot tall.

I found this site: http://operationbeautiful.com I think I like the idea, though it comes accross as a bit patronising maybe?

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

My height + heels + my hair is one of the things I worry about, because if I combine all of those things together, there's usually one fucker out there who feels the need to joke about it. I shouldn't care but, y'know...

Operation Beautiful is a sweet idea, if it's sincere. But I too find it a little patronising and frankly, kind of schmaltzy.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

I had a look at the first couple posts in OB, and it came off either impersonal and a bit self-congratulatory, or a little creepy and stalkerish [I mean, if I found a note in an unfamiliar handwriting on my car saying that I'm gorgeous, I'd be a bit weirded out, to be honest]

And tin: one fucker who jokes about it, and a whole herd of us here who think it's fab [I'd kill for your hair, and I'd rather like to borrow your height for a day or so]

[edit for a typo]
Last edited by existential_elevator on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

Something is very... unsettling about that idea. If you're telling a stranger they're beautiful, it can't be sincere, and if you know them, surely there are less creepy ways to let them know? Also there are better words, such as ones that focus less on physical attributes. 'Wonderful', for example. Or 'amazing'. 'Beautiful' from a stranger means 'I think you have a nice body'. I don't want strangers telling me that.

Maybe it's just because I have a lot of baggage attached to the word 'beautiful'...

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:16 pm UTC

i think operational beautiful is rather saccharine, and aye patronising

tin, i'm almost six in bare feet so can understand, and am fresh out of a relationship with a guy who didn't like me in heels as i'd then be taller than him, so i'm really out of practice, but there's something incredibly empowering in towering over people, and if anyone says anything it's only because they're intimidated by the sheer awesome that is the amazonian woman. never again shall i be choosing a him over heels.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

There is something a little perfunctory and superficial about it - the people I'd want to hear that sort of thing from are people who know me, who I respect and care about.
Then again, I do sometimes have the urge to give a stranger a compliment on their fashion sense or styling, just because people do put so much thought into that sort of thing, and mostly don't get told that the effort has paid off. I end up telling a lot of people they have beautifully styled hair.
But "you're beautiful" seems somewhat too sunshiny and generic to really have an impact - the more cynical among us are likely to see something like that and dismiss it, because it's not really even about you; it's about someone else trying to feel that they've done some good.

Hyphe wrote:Maybe it's just because I have a lot of baggage attached to the word 'beautiful'...
Or this.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

Yeah, it's kind of patronising.. but I can kind of see what they're getting at. I mean, imagine, you're having a really shitty day and while at a restaurant or something, you look up and see a note saying "You are beautiful". It's not much, but hell, it'd make me smile.
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

Aw, cheers e_e. :) You can have some of my hair if you like, but that might be a little bit freaky...

Hyphe wrote:Something is very... unsettling about that idea. If you're telling a stranger they're beautiful, it can't be sincere, and if you know them, surely there are less creepy ways to let them know? Also there are better words, such as ones that focus less on physical attributes. 'Wonderful', for example. Or 'amazing'. 'Beautiful' from a stranger means 'I think you have a nice body'. I don't want strangers telling me that.

This. I think it's the thought of a comment such as 'you're beautiful' coming from someone I don't know, which makes me uncomfortable with that site. You know they're talking about a face value kind of beauty. If someone thinks my beauty is purely just because of my body, they can fuck right off.

Angelene wrote:tin, i'm almost six in bare feet so can understand, and am fresh out of a relationship with a guy who didn't like me in heels as i'd then be taller than him, so i'm really out of practice, but there's something incredibly empowering in towering over people, and if anyone says anything it's only because they're intimidated by the sheer awesome that is the amazonian woman. never again shall i be choosing a him over heels.

Didn't like you in heels? That's just silly. I think very tall ladies get a lot of unnecessary flack from certain immature boys who equate height with dominance and masculinity.

Although, I quite like the idea of being an all powerful, dominating Amazonian...With a bow, arrows and a knife strapped to my thigh.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

tin wrote:Although, I quite like the idea of being an all powerful, dominating Amazonian...With a bow, arrows and a knife strapped to my thigh.

Death by snoo snoo!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
tin wrote:Although, I quite like the idea of being an all powerful, dominating Amazonian...With a bow, arrows and a knife strapped to my thigh.

Death by snoo snoo!

"The spirit is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised!"

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

tin wrote:Didn't like you in heels? That's just silly. I think very tall ladies get a lot of unnecessary flack from certain immature boys who equate height with dominance and masculinity.

Although, I quite like the idea of being an all powerful, dominating Amazonian...With a bow, arrows and a knife strapped to my thigh.

Oh hell yeah. Though knowing I can beat every bouncer in my town in a fight* is a strange feeling.

I would also like to adopt your hair.

back to the operation beautiful thing. I kind of like the idea of sticking notes in fasion/gossip magazines, but more along the lines of "bollocks to societal expectations of beauty". I think the idea is kind of well meaning, that beauty isn't just about what we see in magazines. But the execution is, as you've all said, saccarine and a bit creepy.

*they all train at my MMA club and I've beaten them all in various matches we've had. Though I suspect if I was drunk and they were kicking me out of a bar, they'd probably win...

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

I like the idea of Operation Beautiful... I think what bothers me most is the ones that pimp the website on their little notes. It's like "Hey, you're beautiful, now go to a website where I've made a self-congratulatory post about telling you so!" And nobody on the site (disclaimer: I only skimmed the first couple posts) actually wrote about how beautiful the people were, they all wrote about how the people reacted to their specialspecial notes. It's selfish really. I do like the idea of being able to tell someone they're beautiful and brighten up their day, but it's just not really possible without coming off as sort of creepy or insincere. I will stick to thinking it in my mind.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

lanicita, i was once standing on the street waiting for a boy on a first date, absolutely terrified beyond belief and very close to chickening out when a lady came over to be and said "you look beautiful" and just walked on. it was years and years ago and i still remember her for it. it was said with such warmth and sincerity and honestly one of the kindest things anyone's done. and so so simple. I've wanted to do it a million times since but have never had the nerve.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

obituary

Postby obituary » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

kapojinha wrote:You wear those to school? :o

I have to have uniform shoes. (Black, all one color, etc.) So i make sure they are cute!
hey. i like you. <3.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

obituary wrote:
kapojinha wrote:You wear those to school? :o

I have to have uniform shoes. (Black, all one color, etc.) So i make sure they are cute!

They tried to give us uniforms. You know what they wanted us to wear?
Purple Polyester. :shock:

Post a picture of your uniform? :)

obituary

Postby obituary » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:11 am UTC

I dont have one handy, first day is tomorrow and I'll get one.. but in the fall/spring it is a blue kilt/skirt and a dark blue polo and in the winter it's a gray plaid skirt, a white oxford and a blue sweater.
hey. i like you. <3.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:18 am UTC

I know I probably come off as creepy and most people don't believe/trust me but I have decided that the risk is worth it if I make one person feel better about themselves or cheer them up on a crappy day. So I do try to take a deep breath and compliment someone when I think something about them is worth complimenting, even complete strangers. Not for every little thing, that is hard and just too creepy, but if your glasses or hair or shoes or face or makeup (all real examples) really really strike me as amazing, and it looks like someone who will not punch or report me for it*, I tell them. I usually start the sentence with "sorry to be a bit creepy..." :D

* I know, a bit hard to define how you'd judge this; I find I can't do it with girls that intimidate me. Older people, or sweet looking people yes. Really confident looking, fashionably dressed young people though - my self worth issues still manage to make me feel that they're judging me or just so much better than me that they don't need my charity compliments, so I chicken out. You win some, you lose some *shrug*.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Return to “General”