[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby Sungura » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:Thanks, Sungura! I'm sorry, but I'm not quite comfortable with putting the name of my college out the interwebs. It's one of those little private Midwestern colleges, with a student body a quarter the size of the rest of the town.

Shameless bragging: With my ACT score of 34, I rate an academic scholarship of $18,000, which is at least half of the yearly tuition, if not a couple thousand more. *throws another party, complete with a giant trampoline for happy dances*
:D yay! high fives and hugs for Isotope!
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:44 am UTC

*returns high-fives and hugs*

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:49 am UTC

This has probably been brought up before, so sorry if I'm annoying anyone...
My boyfriend and I recently did the deed without a condom for the first time, which I'm pretty sure will be the norm from now on. I've been on the pill for three years, and I've never had trouble remembering to take it, but this is the first time it's really mattered that I take it at the same time every day. It's Lutera and the packet says if you miss one pill, take it when you remember, and that there is no need for backup contraception. So this means, hypothetically, I could be 24 hours off, and not be afraid of getting pregnant, right? Am I understanding that correctly? I don't want to start going crazy if I'm like an hour off. I'm going in for my first annual exam soon (eek), so I suppose I'll ask my doc as well.

Ooh, and just to share because it's awesome: My mom works in healthcare and gave me a free year's worth of pills :D

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:16 am UTC

I'd say you're probably okay if you're a few hours off, but 24 hours might be stretching your luck...
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:34 am UTC

Haha, well I don't plan to experiment. Unless I go on a trip and somehow forget to take my pills with me, it's unlikely I'll forget for 24 hours. It's just that I usually take it when I get up in the morning, which can vary by a few hours depending on what's going on that day.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:31 am UTC

taking it at a variance every day makes it a little iffier. i would say make your pill time something like 9 and then once in awhile, when you sleep past it, take it when you wake up.
ImageImageImageImageImage

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:13 pm UTC

marshlight wrote:Woman thread! How have I forgotten you! Oh I should have asked some questions before going to the store.

Yeah so. I have been running about one yeast infection every other cycle. It sucks. I got one of the refillable diflucan prescripts but I ran out...called them back, they said to try acidophilus tablets (and make sure I wasn't using Always brand things...what?! I mean, I don't use them, but it was weird to hear one company so targeted). Turns out these are wildly confusing to buy and rather expensive, but I forged ahead and got some by futurebiotics anyway (they seemed the most trustworthy?). Anyone know anything about this? I generally don't like taking supplements like this because I think it's probably better to get it from an original source, but I can only eat so much damn yogurt. If it stops the cycle I will report back.

I'm using probiotics right now as an attempt to get rid of a chronic cycle of BV, and it seems to be working.
I checked out some websites and ended up using RepHresh, which is specifically targeted to helping vaginal flora, but I think there is a cheaper option at Whole Foods than this brand, essentially I paid $30 for 30 pills. :-(
But after a month, it appears to be working!
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

The 24-hour thing is if you miss your dose, podbay. Mine says I'm still covered if I miss one pill, too; but not two. But yeah, Ashlah, same time each day is generally the best; like how you're supposed to take antibiotics at regular intervals... I think the idea is to keep a constant (or relatively constant; I imagine the level drops gradually) amount of hormones in your body so you don't ovulate.

Incidentally! I saw a "fertility test" next to the pregnancy tests, and I was like "hm, how do those work?" Because fertility can't be that easy to test for. And it turns out it just tests for the presence/level of FSH. Which made me realize that birth control pills suppress ovulation by preventing the surge of FSH (which happens, wikipedia tells me, when levels of progestin and estrogen are low) that causes your ovaries to ovulate. Which is pretty cool to know!
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

Ashlah, don't apologize for asking questions! Do talk to your doctor about it, but if you're good at taking the pill every day the way you do it, and you get up at about the same time every day, I would certainly keep doing what works for you. My sister did things like set her watch alarm to beep at noon and always took it then, but if you don't do it "when you get up" it may be more difficult for you to remember to take it at all.

My advice is to seriously consider your personal plans for what would happen if you did get pregnant despite the pills. Even perfect use carries some risk of pregnancy. My sister always uses two methods (pills + condom, IUD + condom, ect) and I use methods with measurable failure rates, because we have different attitudes about abortion.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

I know there's a thread dedicated to Halloween costumes, but I had to share this because in my search, I found THE MOST AMAZING SHOES ever, and here they are:
Gangster shoes

It goes with this costume, which I initially thought was a little too revealing but on reading the comments, it sounds like it's a bit longer than you might think and I figure I can wear a cami so my boobs aren't all over the place. It's a bit on the pricy side to get everything but I'm seriously considering it...

oh my goodness these shoes too

edit: these too, ok just go to the site and look through the costume shoes, they are all amazing!
Last edited by Spacemilk on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
milk from space is good for you!

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Oh, wow.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

:shock: Those are awesome.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:I'm using probiotics right now as an attempt to get rid of a chronic cycle of BV, and it seems to be working.
I checked out some websites and ended up using RepHresh, which is specifically targeted to helping vaginal flora, but I think there is a cheaper option at Whole Foods than this brand, essentially I paid $30 for 30 pills. :-(

Yikes, that is pretty steep! I will probably check with Whole Foods next time I run out, thanks for the tip. Good to hear that it is working, too. I mean, my gyn recommended it so it can't be too sketch, but I am always wary.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

So I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday...I mainly made it because I need to sort out another blood test to check my iron levels (which I am sick of dealing with, but I want to donate blood and I've actually registered on the list in Durham now but I'm not turning up with iron levels that are too low and just wasting their time and mine). I was going to just make an appointment with a nurse a bit later to talk about getting an IUD, but then I looked up the doctor I have an appointment with, and not only is she a woman which I'll be a lot more comfortable with, it says her particular interests are contraception and family planning which includes fitting IUDs, so I am definitely going to talk to her about it because she should be quite positive about it I think and yay! I am getting really desperate to get off the pill now, but don't want to stop until I have something else in place...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

marshlight wrote:
Meaux_Pas wrote:I'm using probiotics right now as an attempt to get rid of a chronic cycle of BV, and it seems to be working.

Yikes, that is pretty steep! I will probably check with Whole Foods next time I run out, thanks for the tip. Good to hear that it is working, too. I mean, my gyn recommended it so it can't be too sketch, but I am always wary.

Yeah, my gyn recommended it too, and try to pretend like I'm Michael Westin so I eat yogurt as much as I remember. But really, just acidophilus supplements should do the trick. You can get them pretty inexpensively at a GNC or a pharmacy, even. Hell, if you want, you should even ask the pharmacist. Also, your intestines will thank you as well.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

Cassi, I don't know what your surgery is like but it might be worth phoning and checking if you can get a second appointment immediately following your existing one with that doc. My surgery literally allocates 10 mins per appointment and I don't mean once you're in there, they are literally 10min slots like "you can see her at 10:00 or 10:10 or 10:20". They have a go at me that I should make a double appointment any time I've tried to ask two things in one visit. Hopefully I just have a very busy surgery or maybe I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but I thought I'd mention it.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

It is a 10 minute slot, but I know from experience it takes all of 1 minute to get the blood test sorted, so should leave plenty of time for asking about the IUD. (Last time I was there I was asking about 3 different things and was still out in about 5 minutes...I hate going to see doctors, so I tend to wait until I can't put it off any longer and cram everything in at once. :P)
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

For the two or three days before Halloween, I'm planning to do my hair in the Princess Leia earmuff-bun style.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Cassi wrote:So I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday...I mainly made it because I need to sort out another blood test to check my iron levels (which I am sick of dealing with, but I want to donate blood and I've actually registered on the list in Durham now but I'm not turning up with iron levels that are too low and just wasting their time and mine). I was going to just make an appointment with a nurse a bit later to talk about getting an IUD, but then I looked up the doctor I have an appointment with, and not only is she a woman which I'll be a lot more comfortable with, it says her particular interests are contraception and family planning which includes fitting IUDs, so I am definitely going to talk to her about it because she should be quite positive about it I think and yay! I am getting really desperate to get off the pill now, but don't want to stop until I have something else in place...

I hope the test comes up with your iron levels high enough, but if they're still low, and you don't want to take iron supplements (they can make you constipated...), my mother swears by cooking in cast iron. My (former) pediatrician actually recommended it when my sister was baby — told mom instead of making her take iron pills, try making eggs/pancakes/some food during the day in a cast-iron pan. Apparently enough of the iron will be adsorbed by whatever's being cooked to raise your levels of iron — I think it adsorbs better because it's bound to the food.

Also, re: probiotics, I'm taking Schiff acidopholus tablets right now, I think they were $13.99 at the grocery for 250 pills. Kept my stomach from going all funky during/after a course of some super-strength amoxicillin.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Isotope_238 wrote:For the two or three days before Halloween, I'm planning to do my hair in the Princess Leia earmuff-bun style.

This is an excellent idea; just be sure to be carrying a spare pack of bobby pins, those things act like they're magnetically repelled by hair when you need them most.
/did ballet for a while and dreads recreating perfect top knots/buns.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:52 am UTC

semicharmed wrote:Also, re: probiotics, I'm taking Schiff acidopholus tablets right now, I think they were $13.99 at the grocery for 250 pills. Kept my stomach from going all funky during/after a course of some super-strength amoxicillin.
I was wondering about these.. my mom recommended them when I was last on antibiotics, but won't the antibiotics clean out the acidophilus if you're taking them both at the same time?
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:17 am UTC

I think the science suggests that if you take them before, during and after a dose of antibiotics, your natural flora rebounds better. I have had to take antibiotics so many times that the last time I thought I might have BV I sat down and scrolled through some clinical trials, and found the names Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Lactobacillus reuteri come up a lot, and so I looked for a probiotic with those, and had positive results. Including happier intestines!
Also maybe one that started with an F. Probiotics are confusing.

Also also, Woman Thread, I haven't picked up my razor since the morning of PictureSarah's wedding.
That would be something like a month ago. My armpit hair has never been this long. I am simultaneously thrilled and weirded out, but man it's been nice having no stubble and also not giving a damn.

I kind of want to bleach it and dye it funny colors. Why not, right?
Probably not a great idea.
Last edited by (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:20 am UTC

Delalyra wrote:
semicharmed wrote:Also, re: probiotics, I'm taking Schiff acidopholus tablets right now, I think they were $13.99 at the grocery for 250 pills. Kept my stomach from going all funky during/after a course of some super-strength amoxicillin.
I was wondering about these.. my mom recommended them when I was last on antibiotics, but won't the antibiotics clean out the acidophilus if you're taking them both at the same time?

All I know is that every time I take antibiotics, and don't take the acidophilus, I end up with a really unhappy digestive tract. Really unhappy.
Could entirely be in my head, but I generally take a double dose in the morning and then one before I go to bed, for the duration of the course of antibiotics and then for 3-5 days afterwards. Probably overkill,
I also used to get really, really bad yeast infections — in my armpits, of all places — when I was a kid, usually after antibiotics for strep or whatever. And the same pediatrician recommended acidophilus after the second or third time it happened; it didn't happen again after that.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:52 am UTC

It makes sense that it would help humans...in rabbits anyway (whose digestive system is based even more on bacteria than ours) whenever you use an antibiotic, you also give probiotics and best form is yogurt (fruit on the bottom kind for the picky eaters, haha). And while this is [citation needed] most drugs are formulated so that when you metabolize them (not digest, metabolize) is when they are activated so I would assume (this is cit needed part) that antibiotics work the same way. So it makes total sense that while taking an antibiotic, you can also keep up your natural bacteria with probiotics.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:08 am UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote: I have had to take antibiotics so many times that the last time I thought I might have BV I sat down and scrolled through some clinical trials, and found the names Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Lactobacillus reuteri come up a lot, and so I looked for a probiotic with those, and had positive results. Including happier intestines!
Also maybe one that started with an F. Probiotics are confusing.

No kidding! I had to figure out whether I wanted a vegetarian one, with beets/milk or without, whether that mattered, when the latest expiry date was...blah. Glad that there are cheaper versions around. Looking forward to getting better!
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:04 am UTC

Hah, on the subject of armpit hair... At one point I wanted to have my hair and eyebrows be one color, and have each armpit be an additional different color, and then shave all of my visible body hair, so that when people noticed, they would have NO IDEA what my natural color was.

Like, say, bleaching my hair and eyebrows blonde, dying one armpit auburn, and keeping one armpit the same...

I'm not sure why the idea of profoundly confusing other people is so appealing to me, but it is. It just struck me as a subtle mindfuck.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

Well, thanks! Next time I have a sinus infection and need antibiotics I'll get some. :)

In regards to body hair: my social psych professor has decreed that we have to break a social norm (any social norm) before our next test. I haven't shaved my legs in a couple weeks, so I think I'm going to run around at the mall in shorts this weekend.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

I have not shaved my pits since before PicSarah's wedding. It is getting long enough to trim, and I know understand why my mother have not used a razor in almost 40 years (she trims things that get too long). I have been half heartedly taking steps toward my leg hair. If I stop I kinda hope what happened to my mother will happen to me. She only seems to have pubic hair, with less than 20 hair on her calves. I tried to count the leg hairs once, but could barely find any. And now that she wears one of those bathing suits with a skirt attached body hair has stopped being noticed all together.

With probiotic and antibiotic make sure you do not take them at the exact same time. Something like one a couple hours before the other. That way you do not mess with your anit, but you let the pro repair any unwanted damage.

I think I will never shave my pits again. They seem happier this way.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:00 pm UTC

Thanks for the kind advice everyone :)

My advice is to seriously consider your personal plans for what would happen if you did get pregnant despite the pills. Even perfect use carries some risk of pregnancy. My sister always uses two methods (pills + condom, IUD + condom, ect) and I use methods with measurable failure rates, because we have different attitudes about abortion.

Definitely good advice. Obviously it's not something I would particularly want to do (who does?), but I am completely open to abortion and am fairly certain that's what I would do if a pregnancy did occur.

Urgh, stupid period came a day early and ruined a nice pair of panties. It was really predictable for a while, starting on Wednesday, maybe Tuesday night. Monday night, though?? Come oooon. Good thing boyfriend didn't try to start anything this morning, or he would have had an unpleasant surprise, heh.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

So I have been on Yaz for just under 2 months now. It is extremely good about regulating my PMS symptoms; I have very few cramps, Shark Week turns on for 3 days and then just *stops* which I love, I'm not bloated or forgetful at all. I also don't have insane mood swings at any time of the month, except for one exception: If I drink any alcohol at all, I have crazy mood swings.

I used to be on Levora and while I would have insane mood swings while sober, I stayed my usual happy-silly-drunk self on weekend nights while out with friends. And as long as I *knew* that Levora was causing the mood swings, I could control it fairly well. But Yaz is turning me into a raging, jealous-when-my-boyfriend-even-looks-at-a-girl harpy once I have a few drinks, and I HATE it. Weekend nights have always been my time to get a little tipsy and dance my heart out (the tipsyness is required for the dancing - it doesn't make me better, it just makes me think I'm better!) and now I feel like I either have to put up with the moodiness (it's near-impossible to control when drunk, of course) or find some way to cope with my ridiculous sober dancing (because it is RIDICULOUS).

This sounds like a silly selfish rant, and it totally is, but it upsets me a little that I can't entirely get rid of these hormonal mood swings with the pill. The benefits FAR outweigh the disadvantages, but still... why can't there just be a magic pill? :(
milk from space is good for you!

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Hey, I'd love a magic pill too. Stupid individualistic reproductive systems and hormones. I haven't had a period since July.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Oooo I want a magic pill! A magic pill to solve all my problems.

Sigh.

I kind of want to ask a question about orgasms, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Dooo eeet.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

zug

Postby zug » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

I haven't shaved my legs in about a year now. I like the hair, it's auburn in the light. And I like to put lotion on it and rub the hair in different directions. I still haven't been brave enough to go out in public in capris or a skirt though :oops:

I also haven't shaved my armpits in a few months. The hair is pretty long but I've been getting a lot fewer boils and ingrown hairs there (read: none) compared to when I shaved them every day.

I think if I start dating a guy though, I will feel compelled to shave again. Even though I kinda like being hairy! It feels like the real me!
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

Hmmm...
Do you ever do something really stereotypical that you're not proud of?

Eg: I just did a little giggle at the end of a phone call with a random person. It was kind of creepy hearing it come out of my mouth... :\
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Hmmm...
Do you ever do something really stereotypical that you're not proud of?

That's totally not the question about orgasms, right?
Also, if you don't feel comfortable asking in the thread, I wouldn't be adverse to getting a PM with the question.
After all, if I don't particularly feel like answering, I can always nicely refuse.

As for shaving, I am one of those lucky people who has really thick, really dark hair on my head and sparse body hair. At least on the places easily comparable to other people — eyebrows, armpits, arms, legs. I have a feeling other places (place, really) are also sparse, comparatively, but I don't exactly have a large sample size to compare it to.

Also, random: Sungura! The avatar picture! I love the streaks!

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:05 am UTC

Aww, thanks semicharmed. :) The purple worked a lot better second time around (It's been three weeks already!) I'm loving it so much I went and found vampire red and midnight blue. It only takes a half container of manic panic to do my hair, so I even have the purple haze left. In a few weeks when the purple is really light and lilacy or non existent I will do vamp red I think. And then try blue. And then back to purple, or maybe I'll have found deadly nightshade by then. I am tempted to do red and green for Christmas, but I bet that'd be tricky to do because of them being complementary. Then again, in areas where they did overlap, the brown would probably just blend in with my hair.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:14 am UTC

If you're looking for a specific shade, there are a couple of stores by me that carry pretty much every color of Manic Panic ever, if you want I can scope out prices & such next time I'm in one of them.
Mine was streaked purple for a while in high school, but I really can't be bothered to do the proper upkeep, and my hair is so dark that it has to be bleached pretty intensely for the color to set in at all. And then the color never seems to take as well the second time; although seeing yours I'm tempted to grab some purple and a bleach kit.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:15 am UTC

The purple is lovely!! When I dyed my hair I also used manic panic purple haze, and really enjoyed the color it became once it started to wear out. Once I did my entire head, and it stayed pinkish-lilac for about a month.
Also, Sungura, every time I see your avatar/location I get homesick for Michigan (despite only having been there once). Hope you're enjoying the autumn!!
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:22 am UTC

Which stores? I have Sally's here, and they only carry about 10 colours. I can purchase them all from Amazon.com but they are about $12 or $14 there and at Sally's it is only $9.

I actually got mine bleached at the place I get my hair cut because I heard it is really hard to do highlights yourself and make it look right. I'm hoping though with as it grows up I can just touch-up the roots or something as needed. They also did the first dye but I don't think she did it right for the directions on the bottle. At least, it was all washed out in about a week and I was pretty upset with that. When I did it myself, I actually decided to get my hair fully dry (towel dry doesn't do squat for my hair, just keeps it from dripping, haha) and then I let it set in for an hour instead of 20 minutes. Next time I'll probably use a blow dryer for some heat for a bit as well, to see if it helps at all. But even just getting my hair all the way dry and letting it set that extra bit really made a huge difference!

And thanks serendipity :) I do like Michigan in the fall - it is quite pretty. And even winter is pretty. Although I must say there are plenty of things I don't like about Michigan...i mean, it is already only at most 40-45 F during the day and it's only the start of October. This past January it didn't get above 0 F all month long! *shivers*

Return to “General”