[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Delalyra: my suggestion would be to find a good specialty shoe shop. It really depends on what kind of shoes you're looking for, though. For example, my wife was wanting some good tennis shoes/sneakers/athletic shoes because inserts really weren't doing enough. We found a nice shop with very knowledgeable staff. The guy watched her walk around the store a bit, looked at her feet some, and found her an excellent pair of shoes. I think she spent about $110 on them.

Another suggestion would be instead of buying those pre-made inserts would be to find a doctor or chiropractor that can size you for some orthotics. That's the route I went (I have 3 fallen arches on one foot and 2 on the other). They cost me about $300 and took me a bit to get used to, but I can't imagine walking around without them and I can put them into any shoes I own.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

@gamers2000: respect for reading some of this thread and wanting to contribute, but quoting things from the first few pages when we're on page 502 isn't really very relevant. You can't join in a conversation that's in the past, you can participate in one in the present or you can start a new one if there's something you'd like particularly to discuss but random quotes from literally years ago is just confusing.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

gamers2000

Postby gamers2000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Moo wrote:@gamers2000: respect for reading some of this thread and wanting to contribute, but quoting things from the first few pages when we're on page 502 isn't really very relevant. You can't join in a conversation that's in the past, you can participate in one in the present or you can start a new one if there's something you'd like particularly to discuss but random quotes from literally years ago is just confusing.

I invoke edit 6/30! "There's lots of new people coming around and feeling like they need to read the whole thread to participate. This is not necessary! We would like to hear what you have to say even if you haven't read the whole thread! Certain topics keep recurring anyway, and this thread is just like a giant conversation, so don't be afraid of bringing something up that has already been brought up before! I love this thread, and it makes me feel like I'm not alone in being a geek girl, and hopefully it will do the same for everyone."

But seriously, I do see where it might be confusing, and I apologize! Meh - the shoes thingum wasn't the big one anyway. Can a mod remove it? :oops:

EDIT : Holycrap, I just quoted a two year old post.

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

gamers2000 wrote:Holycrap, I just quoted a two year old post
:) that was kind of my point. I really did mean when I said "you can start a new one if there's something you'd like particularly to discuss" though, the quote was just really confusing. I thought you were a bot for a moment.

Just, hang around a bit and see the sort of things we discuss here and the way we do. You've already posted some questions so if someone feels they can contribute to that discussion it will turn into a topic but it's a pretty fluid thread, things come and go quickly.

To answer one of your questions, yes I kiss my husband after oral sex, and he too prefers giving pleasure in that way to receiving it, so don't feel there's something wrong with you in that sense.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

Delalyra: Oh man Merrils. Merrils Merrils Merrils if you don't really mind looking a bit...plain. They're not exactly beautiful shoes but HOLYCRAPCOMFY. That, or get yourself some taller combat boots that support your ankle. Do you have any idea if you have flat feet or maybe pronated ankles? I've got pronated justabouteverythingbelowmyhips and lacing my combat boots with gellin things inside basically means my feet never hurt anymore.

EDIT: I also meant to ask...why do my boobs hurt? Like, ow. About two weeks ago I was having sexytiems and there was biting on nipples. It wasn't exactly gentle, but I didn't think they'd still hurt. It also went mostly away, but a few days ago while lying down on my stomach and kindof directly on my boobs it was *OWWW.* I think it might just be the whole being a teenager and breasts growing, but it's been a while since I've really noticed any change in their size that couldn't be attributed to dropping or gaining a few pounds. So, I think what I'm trying to ask is "Who do boobs randomly hurt sometimes?"

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

Where are you in your cycle, Wednesday? They can hurt during PMS, and only sometimes, or during Shark Week too.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Wednesday wrote:Delalyra: Oh man Merrils. Merrils Merrils Merrils if you don't really mind looking a bit...plain. They're not exactly beautiful shoes but HOLYCRAPCOMFY. "

+1
or actually, any shoes designed for walking/hiking I have a pair of north face hedgehogs and they are very confortable and have good support since they are supposed to be for walking up to climbs and stuff. :)

re: boob pain, I notice mine hurt more a few days before sharweek, so I assume it's a water retention/hormones thing. No idea on the actual physiology of it though :| Ninjaed by Moo.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

Mine started hurting this month about 3~4 days after ovulation. Hormones FTW?
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:31 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
smw543 wrote:As for the swimming thing, I'm a bit surprised. Despite the high risk of drowning in Florida, we never had to learn to swim. I always assumed people just learned from their parents—my dad taught me when I was about 3.

There's more to swimming lessons than just learning how to not drown.
We had a lot of technique lessons, as well as diving, racing and life saving/survival lessons. I got lifeguard qualifications when I was 16, through my school's swimming lessons.

I meant that it seems odd that in Florida, where we have a lot of drowning deaths, we don't require any lessons, whereas other places, which I'm guessing tend to have fewer drowning deaths (Florida is the highest in the country; don't know UK stats), do require lessons. But I think this tangent is dead, so.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Comfy shoes: I HIGHLY recommend Columbia shoes. I have everything from their cute Mary Jane's to tennis shoes to a hiking shoe. I love how comfy they are, lots of cushion, lots of support, and NO break-in time. Their sizes are true (I tend to be between an 8 1/2 and a 9, and for the Mary Janes since I wear them sockless in the summer, the 8.5 works, and the shoes/boots I am a 9). You can get them for great deals on Sierra Trading Post. I get mine from there, the company is great, and I paid $90 for 2 Mary Janes (normally $50 or so each) and the hiking shoes (normally $120).

Another good brand is New Balance, but read about which shoe you are getting. If you need support - get one with what is called a rollbar. Those are the New Balance ones you want.

Those are the two brands I highly recommend.

/me grew up with weak ankles and pronation and other feet issues
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Osha

Postby Osha » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Seconded (thirded? fourthed? whatever) on the hiking/running shoes.
I wore my guy shoes at work all the time as I didn't have comfortable womens shoes (which should change in the next month or so since I have some spending money).
And they look something like this:
Spoiler:

Really comfortable, was able to run around all day without sore feet, not very stylish.

So I'm looking to get these, which look to be a good compromise between comfort and style:
Spoiler:

If you wanted to go all out though you could get one of these shoes, some of which basically look like they should be worn by robot gladiators battling to the death in the cyber-coliseum.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

re:swimming
My mom used to bribe my older brother and me into sticking our faces under water by tossing quarters into the pool (on the steps). We got to keep them if we got them by getting our faces wet. My older brother (and dad) dislike water activities. My little brother and I love them. I could live in a water park. I did swim team until I was diagnosed as diabetic, and used tampons if shark week rolled around. There was no way in hell I was missing a chance to swim. And, if I do say so myself, I was damn awesome. I didn't always get first or second, or even third, but I always placed. When we did relays, they'd want me to do butterfly because I was one of the few people who could do it, and if someone else did butterfly, I'd be on backstroke (because, for some reason, no one liked those two). (I actually remember having a 6 pack from the time I was about 5 to when I was about 12 or so.) My little brother does swimming lessons for technique (learning all the little details of each stroke) and is fast. I've only seen him "race" twice, and both times he "barely" won. When I asked him about it later he was all "psh. I wasn't going as fast as I can. I wanted to make it last as long as I could because I love swimming." Silly little brother.
We never did swimming in PE or through school, simply because the funding was never there. sure, the schools have swim teams in high school, but by then I was more focused on other things (and the people on the school swim teams were jerks). I would also say that elementary school age would probably be a better time to have swim lessons because of the aforementioned reasons. I do know that some kids in elementary school are flat out mean, though (girls at my school started early with the insulting, name calling, shaming, etc.) I know my grandparents don't know how to swim, and my grandma actually cried at my first swim meet because I could swim.

Osha, I really hope it doesn't turn out to be anything serious and that it's just a scare.

wow...that was much more rambling than I intended. sorry! hopefully people can follow it...

edit: oh! and shoes! I second NewBalance! I also <3 Vans for being comfy, but they don't have a lot of arch support, so I wear them for casual walking/not hard walking days.
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

crickets

Postby crickets » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

I add my vote into the hiking boot/shoe category. An old friend of mine wore the same pair of merril hiking shoes for years, and they were for serious the comfiest shoes i ever borrowed from anyone. Followed by Denby's new balance runners.

I have a pair of hiking boots as well, but i'm lazy and don't like unlacing/lacing up my shoes, so they don't get worn unless it's camping time. Denby also bought me a pair of Timberland mid-calf boots, which are surprisingly comfy after having broken them in.

Don't expect any pair of really good shoes to be 100% pure awesome the first time you wear them. Short of skateboarding runners, i've never had a good pair of shoes not give me rubbing spots/blisters the first time, then they break in a bit and are better than ever!
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

Delalyra - I have plantar fasciitis, and my podiatrist told me that a good way to buy shoes is to try and twist the soles. If they twist quite a bit, don't buy them. He said good brands are Clarks, Doc Martens, etc., but really anything with a stiff sole will work. People think that really cushy soles are better for your feet, when in fact they transfer the shock right to your foot, instead of absorbing the shock like stiff soles do. Also, there are several brands of shoes made for people who work in hospitals or restaurants (people who are on their feet all day on hard floors), that aren't exactly the most attractive shoes, but are super comfy.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:
crowey wrote:
smw543 wrote:As for the swimming thing, I'm a bit surprised. Despite the high risk of drowning in Florida, we never had to learn to swim. I always assumed people just learned from their parents—my dad taught me when I was about 3.

There's more to swimming lessons than just learning how to not drown.
We had a lot of technique lessons, as well as diving, racing and life saving/survival lessons. I got lifeguard qualifications when I was 16, through my school's swimming lessons.

I meant that it seems odd that in Florida, where we have a lot of drowning deaths, we don't require any lessons, whereas other places, which I'm guessing tend to have fewer drowning deaths (Florida is the highest in the country; don't know UK stats), do require lessons. But I think this tangent is dead, so.

Sorry! I totally mis-read you :oops: Looking at it again, I really don't know why either. *facepalm*

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Another excellent brand for sneakers/runners/whatever the regional word is for them is Asics. I have very flat feet, as does my dad, and for both of us it's pretty much the best brand for shoes with good arch support. Also, they become comfortable really quickly, after only one or two wears, and they last quite a while even with wear and tear - had mine for about 3 years and they're still perfectly shaped.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Osha wrote:Seconded (thirded? fourthed? whatever) on the hiking/running shoes.
I wore my guy shoes at work all the time as I didn't have comfortable womens shoes (which should change in the next month or so since I have some spending money).
And they look something like this:
[img]Shoes![/img]

I'm actually in the market (or will be) for shoes exactly like that. And one of my (female) roommates down at school had a pair just like that. They look like they're incredibly comfortable, and to me at least, don't seem particularly like guy shoes — just comfortable, practical hiking-type shoes.
I have pretty finicky feet though, and my shoes have always been comfortable/supportive first. I'm a really big fan of Asics, right now — mine are going on 2 or 3 years, and they're still incredibly comfortable.

Also, we had a pool in out highschool, it was self-contained — no walking through classroom spaces to get from the locker room to the pool. By the time I took pool, though, I could swim tolerably well. My technique is pretty shitty, but I'm a comfortable/assured swimmer.
I also grew up on Long Island, live 20 minutes from the ocean, and that's where we spent most of summer vacation when I was younger. I took Red Cross lessons when I was 5 or so, which is where I learned to actually swim; but me & my sister were really comfortable in the water from pretty young.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:25 am UTC

gamers2000 wrote:EDIT : OH. I totally forgot the biggest question about womenhood. Why don't women have pockets on their garments that they can put their wallets in? I mean, they leave it either on their handbag, on whatever table they can find, or holding it. It either gets stolen or one perfectly good hand is stuck holding that piece of leather. Why not just put it in a pocket near you?

I often use my bra as a pocket-substitute. I can get my phone, camera and visa card neatly tucked into one side on my bra, easy.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Us with the boobs have an easy time of that. Not so much for smaller girls though.

I don't carry a purse; I lose purses. I cannot lose pockets and am often annoyed when I find I don't have any of them on me. I have taken to carrying a LARGE bag that I carry my knitting and several books in - It is impossible for me to lose something that huge, with that many important things (yarn and books) in it. This post is incredibly not helpful. Sorry. :(

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:42 am UTC

hermaj wrote:
gamers2000 wrote:EDIT : OH. I totally forgot the biggest question about womenhood. Why don't women have pockets on their garments that they can put their wallets in? I mean, they leave it either on their handbag, on whatever table they can find, or holding it. It either gets stolen or one perfectly good hand is stuck holding that piece of leather. Why not just put it in a pocket near you?

I often use my bra as a pocket-substitute. I can get my phone, camera and visa card neatly tucked into one side on my bra, easy.

I'm one of the smaller-boobed girls for whom this doesn't work so well. Plus, I don't trust myself to be particularly subtle about jamming my hand down my cleavage when intoxicated. Personally, I would love more of my clothes to have pockets, but find that most skirts, dresses, short-shorts etc. won't have pockets or will even have pretend ones! Ridiculous. I can see that with many types of clothing they wouldn't really fit in with the design, but there are heaps I reckon they could put pockets in.

crickets

Postby crickets » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:30 am UTC

I don't like handbags, i prefer ones with shoulder straps. Then i can put my keys, wallet, advil and chapstick all in one place without loosing anything, and have room leftover for a beverage or book or something else.

I frequently find if i keep things in my pockets, i'm prone to leaving them there, which is in no way helpful to me when i need my cellphone/bus pass/whathaveyou.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:58 am UTC

Yeah, I often carry alrge bag around with me full of uni stuffs/shopping/books etc, so I keep my purse etc in there. If I'm wearing a hoodie, things tend to get stuffed in there as well.
I have a pair of combats with a couple of fake pockets, which is kinda of annoying, as combats are supposed to have a bazillion pockets!
crickets wrote:I frequently find if i keep things in my pockets, i'm prone to leaving them there, which is in no way helpful to me when i need my cellphone/bus pass/whathaveyou.
This, I spend so much time transferring things from pocket to pocket. Most of the time it's just easier to grab the bag as I'm heading out.
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:54 am UTC

I NEED at least seven pockets on me at all times. Usually more. At peak last winter, I think I had 13? All with crap in. How it's possible to survive with none. I don't know...

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:21 am UTC

I also like bags with shoulder straps, preferably the kind that can be slung across the body, with the strap resting on one shoulder and the actual receptacle part of the bag resting on the hip or waist on the other side of the body, bandolier-style.
Also, there need to be more pockets in clothes. Possibly the reason lots of women's clothing lacks pockets is because manufacturers and designers think we'd prefer not to add bulk to clothing, or to change the lines of the garment on the body. If a jacket or vest already has fake pockets though, it's usually pretty easy to add real ones with a little sewing.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

crickets

Postby crickets » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:44 am UTC

Even worse that the fake pocket is the teeny, tiny pocket. They will go to all the trouble of adding a pocket to a garment, but make it so small as to be entirely useless.

I wish my jacket had pockets....

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:03 am UTC

I prefer a bag to pockets, actually. I hate being without the core of things I like to have with me at all times for emergencies and just in case - a tiny umbrella, a tampon, headache tablets, anti-histamine, tissues, money, mobile phone, lib balm, face powder (I don't makeup often but I hate having a shiny face), a hair band, moisturiser (I hate not having moisturiser after washing my hands in bathrooms), pen, my diary/notebook (not least of all to record hilarious out of context quotes at xkcd meetups) ... you get the picture.

I also dislike how full pockets make my already considerable hips look bulgy.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:17 am UTC

One thing you can do if you have a few different handbags that you alternate between is to buy a plastic clear pencilcase-type pouch around the size of your bags' interiors, fill it with all the things you carry, and then transfer it from bag to bag. Saves lots of time when bagswitching.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 am UTC

Women of the woman thread, I have a question! A (girl) friend of mine just told me she intends to break up with her boyfriend, whom she says she loves. The reason being that he really likes giving and receiving physical touches, including with his friends. She says he gives backrubs to his (women) friends, to the point where they take off their tops and he rubs their backs. She says she doesn't think he's cheating on him but she can't help feeling he might in the future, that it would tempt him. She also says she feels as if this is something that should be between them, not with other people.

I told her that I thought what he did was legitimate, but it's OK for it to be a "red line" for her as well. That is, it's OK that she feels this way, and it she does then yeah, they should break up, because one of them will always be frustrated at the other.

I'm wondering what your position is. Do you think what the guy does is legitimate? Do you think it's OK to expect him to stop doing that?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:00 am UTC

Despite not being a woman, I'm going to attempt to try and field the question. It's pretty much the same as any reasonable relationship advice ever is. They need to discuss it, and if both are unchanging on the issue, and it's not something they can just ignore, they ought to break up. But, of course, discussing it out and working out whether there are alternatives is a far better thing.

Personally, I don't see a problem with it provided that no party sees it in a sexual or romantic way. Backrubs are awesome, and though I would prefer to get them from a Significant Other I will pretty much get them wherever I can, and I figure other people feel the same and probably wouldn't mind one themselves. Though, on the other hand, if said Significant Other had a problem with me doing all the backrubby stuff, I'd stop (though probably bug them to give me them).

Your situation is slightly odd, because love is meant to imply or engender trust, and what she is displaying (or rather, the reasons you provide) demonstrate a clear lack of trust.

In short, my advice is to get them to talk it out. It's stupid for them not to.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:25 am UTC

Huh, tough one. I can only talk from my own experience, which takes place within the boundaries we've set in our relationship. That relationship is all about the trust and having friends of opposite genders and not jumping to conclusions, but also all about the sexual faithfulness. I have no problem with him giving or getting backrubs and ditto for me but for me to take my top off for another man to do it would overstep some boundaries and definitely not be ok.

If her problem is mostly with the taking off of the clothes but she'd still be ok with him giving massages that seems to me like a compromise he should be willing to make. However if she feels that it's only a matter of time before he cheats on her anyway (if I've correctly interpreted what you describe?) I'd say the backrubs are the least of their problems. If she doesn't trust him there's a much bigger problem there they'll either need to face head on and work out, or she's right to end it. In my most humble opinion based on the little I know about the situation.
Last edited by Moo on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:01 pm UTC

I also prefer the bag to pockets (once I got used to the bag). It's interesting how one can move from huge pockets to no pockets. I used to keep everything in my pants, then after transitioning, I had to keep nothing in my pants. It took a while for me to stop the habit of just stuffing my keys and phone in my pants. Still do the phone from time to time (but usually only when I'm expecting a call and have it on vibrate).

I need a new bag. Well, theoretically I have a new bag (which I bought with Crickets), but... I don't think I could really wear it.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:09 pm UTC

I always keep my phone and my ipod in my jeans pockets but I need a bag for all the other stuff I carry round. I have my wallet (it gets me some funny looks in shops because it's clearly a guy's wallet but it's Batman so I couldn't resist), a notebook and/or my diary, my flat key, my work locker key, an assortment of pens/pencils/other stationery, a calculator and depending on where I'm going I might have make up, flat shoes (or heels depending on how late in the night it is) or my work uniform.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

Thanks, I was mostly just wondering if people thought said backrubs in general might be acceptable. She says they've talked about it (specifically, she says she asked him to stop and he said he'll do it less). I dunno. She's very fixated on the (undeniable) physical intimacy of that, she says if they have a fight and then he goes to one of his friends they're that much more likely to sleep together. I think she's too inflexible, but I didn't tell her that. Mostly I told her if it's something that bothers her this much then it probably won't work out.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

I wish I had the confidence to wear my guitar shaped purse/backpack.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby GraphiteGirl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

Woman Thread, does anyone have any tips on what to do about dark shadows under the eyes? Besides, of course, for getting more sleep and eating healthy things? I already know how to disappear them with makeup, but it would be nice to find a way to make them less... well, blue. Damn translucent paleness.

gamers2000

Postby gamers2000 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:14 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I wish I had the confidence to wear my guitar shaped purse/backpack.

Am I the only one that thinks that that's AWESOME? You should totally do it.

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

@GraphiteGirl: it could be nutrition. The one I have heard most often is that it can be a lack of vitamin K; I've also heard vit c or iron deficiencies can cause it, or too much sodium or potassium. Citation needed on all of those though. And apparently it can even be an allergy or medication side effect.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

Zohar, in my mind, there are two types of backrubs: sexy backrubs and good massages. I deeply appreciate both of them, and have had friends that specialized in each category. In order for someone to do a good massage, cloth between the hands and the back must be absent. However, having a massage table and previous training also really, really help. So, if someone is really into massage as a skill to share with friends, massaging people without shirts should not be considered cheating. For example, I had my shirt off in the main room of a college dorm one time, with about 6 people present, while a massage student practiced on me. I can't imagine anyone considering that cheating. However, if this is a straight guy who only gives women backrubs and isn't particularly interested in learning about and refining the technique of good massage, then I can see considering it cheating. Of course, your advice: if it's a red line for you, it's a red line for you, is the best advice, but it might also help for your friend to explore what type of massage her boyfriend actually does. Being a person who likes touch doesn't make you more likely to cheat: it just makes you a person who likes to touch.

I found a tiny little purse at a Medieval Fair once, and I wore it around my wasit. I've since made "pockets" that go on a belt and stay around my waste: I don't even own a purse anymore. If I want to carry a lot of stuff, I bring a backpack. Purses are too easy for me to lose, and I hate the gendered expectation of purses. So I made my own big pocket, that I don't have to transfer stuff between, that I always wear when I go out. I do usually put my keys in a pants pocket (easier to check for them by patting up my thigh), but if my clothes don't have a pocket, I can slip them into my belt pocket.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

On bags and pockets... I always try to wear pants with pockets so I can put my phone in them and feel it if it vibrates. I get a lot of phone calls and texts from the people I work for, and I like to be reliably easy to reach, to make things easier for them and also in case of an emergency or change in times. It does make an annoying bulge but whatever, everyone knows that it's a phone so I don't really care how it looks. I also keep my Metrocard in my pocket because I hop on the subway at least 4 times a day and it's annoying to dig through my bag for it every time. Then I also carry around a good-sized bag, where I keep my wallet, a book, my scheduling book, keys, painkillers, pens/pencils, napkins, tampons, etc.

I do sometimes wish that girl pants had better pockets, and lately I have been looking for baggier pants that also look good, but those are really hard to find.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:Woman Thread, does anyone have any tips on what to do about dark shadows under the eyes? Besides, of course, for getting more sleep and eating healthy things? I already know how to disappear them with makeup, but it would be nice to find a way to make them less... well, blue. Damn translucent paleness.

eat, sleep, appropriate make up. Sounds like you already know what you need to do to fix or hide them. As for them being blueish purple, use a yellow/orange concealer. It will help cancel out some of the dark, cool tones.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Return to “General”